These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship Value Calculator / Sticker Price

Author
KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
Nourv Gate Security Commission
#1 - 2012-02-13 16:50:31 UTC
I looked in the frequent posting section and didn’t see anything that fit this: Hope this isnt a duplicate...

In the "Fittings" window have an area that show the current price value of your current loaded ship with all loaded mods.
Example:

Current Ship: Bhalgorn $892,000,000.00
Fittings: $512,543,325.00
Total Ship: $ 1,404,543,325.00
Pod: $512,434.00
Total Package: $ 1,405,055,759.00

The above would take into consideration current market value of all modules plugged in, ship, rigs, etc...
However it would not take into consideration the cargo.
This could be helpful in many ways, trading, selling, or even preparation for loss values.

Post up and let me know what you think, punch holes in the idea... I’m sure there is a downside to this idea.

Let’s hear them!
KiLLerSpyder
Monty Kvaran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-13 16:55:31 UTC
What prices would you use? Jita sell order, Jita buy order, current region buy/sell, current station buy/sell, or some figure designed to reach an average price over all of eve? What about market trends/price fluctuations? How would modules not available on the markets work? Rigs that are not easy to liquidate?
KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
#3 - 2012-02-13 17:01:28 UTC
Monty Kvaran wrote:
What prices would you use? Jita sell order, Jita buy order, current region buy/sell, current station buy/sell, or some figure designed to reach an average price over all of eve? What about market trends/price fluctuations? How would modules not available on the markets work? Rigs that are not easy to liquidate?

Some great points: I would say use region average, missing or unavailable rigs (Use the purchase price from your wallet logs). Trends would automatically come into play if the region average was used.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2012-02-13 17:14:00 UTC
Why? It sounds like an awful lot of work for the devs in pulling all that info together (especially for the faction/DED modules, which is much of the cost usually) for little to no actual benefit.

Also, EFT already does this somewhat (though it, again, has trouble taking off-market modules into account due to the fact that there's no value data for them on Eve-Central). What's wrong with simply looking at EFT if you want this info?
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#5 - 2012-02-13 17:23:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Simi Kusoni
KiLLerSpyder wrote:
Some great points: I would say use region average, missing or unavailable rigs (Use the purchase price from your wallet logs). Trends would automatically come into play if the region average was used.

Battleclinic have been trying to estimate item prices for quite some time, they're not too far off except on items sold through contracts. If CCP were going to do this, I'm sure they could do it pretty accurately, in fact I'm pretty sure they already track item prices.

It would still be quite a bit of extra work though, if they ever did consider adding this it would have to be done with pretty low priority. But yeah, on the whole I agree, it would be nice seeing a guesstimate of how disgustingly expensive my ships are in the fitting window.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#6 - 2012-02-13 17:24:34 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Also, EFT already does this somewhat (though it, again, has trouble taking off-market modules into account due to the fact that there's no value data for them on Eve-Central). What's wrong with simply looking at EFT if you want this info?

You can do this in EFT?

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#7 - 2012-02-13 17:27:33 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
mxzf wrote:

You can do this in EFT?

Bottom-right corner of the fitting window, below the Mobility stats, there's a 'Price:' field which seems to be based on Eve-Central price values.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#8 - 2012-02-13 17:31:09 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Simi Kusoni wrote:
mxzf wrote:

You can do this in EFT?

Bottom-right corner of the fitting window, below the Mobility stats, there's a 'Price:' field which seems to be based on Eve-Central price values.

Ahh, very nice, cheers :) All mine say "0 ISK", guess I need to set that to update Lol

KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
#9 - 2012-02-13 17:31:23 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Why? It sounds like an awful lot of work for the devs in pulling all that info together (especially for the faction/DED modules, which is much of the cost usually) for little to no actual benefit.

- It's nothing more than a simple database connection strings to items already loaded, the market is nothing more than a database behind the scenes. Ships, Fittings, ETC are all in that same database.
- Instead of using an application outside of the game that you also manage this would be managed and done ingame, and the data would the closest to being an up to date value that you could see.
- Simple information that would help you make a more informed decisions when selling, contracting fitted ships.
- Before I go into battle it would be nice to know at the spur of the moment what the cost is of what im flying.

Love the responses, I appreciate the downside feedback! Helps you think it through...
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#10 - 2012-02-13 17:38:09 UTC
KiLLerSpyder wrote:
- It's nothing more than a simple database connection strings to items already loaded, the market is nothing more than a database behind the scenes. Ships, Fittings, ETC are all in that same database.
- Instead of using an application outside of the game that you also manage this would be managed and done ingame, and the data would the closest to being an up to date value that you could see.
- Simple information that would help you make a more informed decisions when selling, contracting fitted ships.
- Before I go into battle it would be nice to know at the spur of the moment what the cost is of what im flying.

Love the responses, I appreciate the downside feedback! Helps you think it through...

One downside I can think of is that if CCP started releasing an estimated price for items, people may start selling them around the prices released. Indirectly effecting market trading, and reducing price fluctuations in favor of set prices.

I know that if I saw the price of a gun at x amount of isk, I certainly wouldn't put a load up on the market for less than that. Similarly if I was in an out of the way region, looked up a random item and noticed the price was three times higher than the estimate in the fitting window, I'd be reticent to buy it.

Then again they already have that price graph in game, people just don't seem to use it :D

KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
#11 - 2012-02-13 17:40:19 UTC
Heres another thought about getting the values:

This would be no different than lets say when you load a medium slot item.

Shield Booster: When loaded It changes the value of the shield percentages. right?
It gets that info from a database, tie that same line of information to the market value and walla you have that info loaded into the fitting window. Now load that into the array for the total value, plus a few lines of code to add the values and you have your price.

Just thinking out loud here...
KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
#12 - 2012-02-13 17:43:02 UTC
Simi Kusoni wrote:
KiLLerSpyder wrote:

One downside I can think of is that if CCP started releasing an estimated price for items, people may start selling them around the prices released. Indirectly effecting market trading, and reducing price fluctuations in favor of set prices.

I know that if I saw the price of a gun at x amount of isk, I certainly wouldn't put a load up on the market for less than that. Similarly if I was in an out of the way region, looked up a random item and noticed the price was three times higher than the estimate in the fitting window, I'd be reticent to buy it.

Then again they already have that price graph in game, people just don't seem to use it :D

Very true, keep in mind you already get those values of any item by simply selling it or buying it. Remember it shows you the region above or below % average when you goto that screen.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#13 - 2012-02-13 17:43:51 UTC
There's still two things I see wrong with this:
One, it's extra work for the developers to do with dubious returns at best (and at worst it could mess with the market pretty bad). Not to mention the fact that they'd be replicating the work of something that's already out there (and I know that I personally don't even trust the in-game EHP/DPS numbers because I know that the EFT ones are more reliable).

Two, there's still the issue of non-market items, which are generally the most expensive part of the fit
KiLLerSpyder
Victory or Whatever
#14 - 2012-02-13 17:54:28 UTC  |  Edited by: KiLLerSpyder
mxzf wrote:
There's still two things I see wrong with this:
One, it's extra work for the developers to do with dubious returns at best (and at worst it could mess with the market pretty bad). Not to mention the fact that they'd be replicating the work of something that's already out there (and I know that I personally don't even trust the in-game EHP/DPS numbers because I know that the EFT ones are more reliable).

Two, there's still the issue of non-market items, which are generally the most expensive part of the fit

I dont disagree with the possible market messing with. Keep in mind you already do it with EFT as stated, so what would be the difference? The data is still available... Lets look at it from another angle, it could help the market! We really dont know