These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill Que Tweak

Author
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#101 - 2012-02-13 03:08:31 UTC
mxzf wrote:

In specific, there are a lot of threads about skill training from people who just want training to be easier when the system works perfectly as-is; it gets old fast.

The system doesn't work perfectly well. There are players that it fails to serve adequately.

How does allowing people to queue skills ahead of the 24 hour period currently allowed make anything easier?

You still have to plan your skill path.
You still have to learn how to use the skills effectively as a player.
You still need to wait real time for the skills to train before you can use them.
You still need to pay for the time you are waiting.

The only thing you gain from being able to queue ahead is the assurance that if you can't log in for an extended period the time you are paying for won't be completely wasted.

This isn't an ease of play issue, this is a value-for-money issue.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#102 - 2012-02-13 03:26:18 UTC
It all comes down to the fact that you have to draw the line somewhere and 24h is just as good a spot as any.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#103 - 2012-02-13 04:28:07 UTC
mxzf wrote:
It all comes down to the fact that you have to draw the line somewhere and 24h is just as good a spot as any.

Why not draw the line at 5 skills instead?

It makes at least as much sense.

Yes, it isn't where the line is drawn *right now*, but in a lot of ways it would be better as it keeps new players closely engaged while allowing more experienced players (already with a lot invested in the game) to spend less time worrying about training and more time playing the rest of the game.

Misanthra
Alternative Enterprises
#104 - 2012-02-13 05:29:16 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Yes, it isn't where the line is drawn *right now*, but in a lot of ways it would be better as it keeps new players closely engaged while allowing more experienced players (already with a lot invested in the game) to spend less time worrying about training and more time playing the rest of the game.

if you you are playing the game already then you should be available to keep the qeue filled lol.

You will also find in time that if for unforeseen reasons you miss a few hours here and there....its not end of the world. Skills are a pretty number on a sheet. If you missed a skill qeue fill 2 weeks ago that has your frigate 5 done 2 days laters than evemon planned...man if you can't fly a rfiter worth a damn, frigate 5 ain't fixing that. Nor is AF, jsut be more expensive blowups now 2 days later as well. So like you said...focus on playing the game. Do more for you than sweating how fast those sp's come in or if they are coming consistently.

I have messed up my training qeue's quite a few times, missed some time. Life does go on.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#105 - 2012-02-13 13:38:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
mxzf wrote:

OK, we'll draw the line at 5 skills then. Here's what will happen.

1. your queue is <=75 minutes long (5x skills @ 15 min each. Pretty easy for newbies). OR
2. your queue is 5+ months long (5x skills @ 1+ months each. Pretty easy for a vet). OR
3. >75m but <5 mos

either way, you only have 5 skills in "queue".

the current queue has "arbitrary number of skills, so long as their start times can all be set between 'now' and 'now + 24 hours'." In the case of skills that take 24+ hours, your queue will have one (1) skill until such time that the training skill has 23h 59m or less time before completion, whereupon you can throw as many skills into the queue as will fill it back up to 24 hours. In the case of skills that take less time than that:
23h - 12h -> 2 (wait between 23h and 1 min to cram in a third)
11h - 8h ->3 (at 8h you can wait 1 min and cram a fourth in, at 9h you have to wait 3h for that)
6h -> 4 (wait 1 min to cram in a 5th)
5h -> 5 (wait 1 hour to cram in a 6th)
4h -> 6 (wait 1 min to cram in a 7th)
3h -> 8 (wait 1 min to cram in a 9th)
2h -> 12 (wait 1 min to cram in a 13th)
1h -> 24 (wait 1 min to cram in a 25th)
30m -> 48 (wait 1 min to cram in a 49th)
15m -> 96 (wait 1 min to cram in a 97th)

Or obviously n skills of varying length such that n-1 skills is 23h 59m or less.

Assuming you're properly respecc'd ... the queue can hold approximately 61 days of skills. Assuming you're training something you're not necessarily spec'd for ... probably a lot longer.

as for being a vet and worrying about my queue... I've got 9 hours before I can throw in my next skill. I'll throw in a skill somewhere between 9 hours and 12 hours from now (RL allowing), and then forget about skills for the next fortnight.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Mag's
Azn Empire
#106 - 2012-02-13 14:11:14 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
mxzf wrote:

It makes no sense at all, as clearly shown by Velicitia.

I was going to say I'm surprised you even suggested it, but then realised I'm not.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#107 - 2012-02-13 14:18:23 UTC
I've got almost 2 weeks before I have to touch my queue myself.
My point is that they chose the 24 hour queue for particular reasons, which may or may not be being satisfied by it, but there are reasonable changes that can be made that won't break anything.

I didn't chose 5 arbitrarily, either. With 5 levels per skill even a first-day newbie can have a few days worth of training configured before they get out of the tutorial missions (if they are alert enough to notice it).

Mag's
Azn Empire
#108 - 2012-02-13 14:20:33 UTC
There are no need for changes.

You cannot disregard balance, because some people can't run a bath.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#109 - 2012-02-13 15:15:40 UTC
You are completely missing the point.

The hard part of skill training is knowing what to train and training it in the order that will give you the most benefit for the entire training time.

No change to the queue will ever change that.

Being on during your skill queue update window is a binary thing, it isn't difficult, either you can log on during your update window or you can't.

If you can, great, there is no problem.

If you can't you will never get whatever time you missed back.

What I see is people who never (or rarely) have an issue with being able to log on during their update window saying that the current system isn't broken for people who do have problems with it.

It isn't broken for me, but I know people for whom it is broken, and that's enough for me to argue for a change that will make their play experience better.

Not easier, because they still need to do the hard parts, better because they aren't shut out of something they are paying for by circumstances they can't control.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#110 - 2012-02-13 15:19:10 UTC
Mag's wrote:
There are no need for changes.

You cannot disregard balance, because some people can't run a bath.

This assumption of balance is based purely on a reference from the introduction of the queue. It points out they have no idea what would happen once they implemented it, so they were cautious on what they put in.

It has nothing to do with CCP's current view on balance. if anything, the queue is simply not a high enough problem for them to correct without popular demand driving it.

Works as intended. I love this line, so I avoided poking at it before. It really makes me laugh.

Ok, fast list of things working as intended, (this is by no means complete):

• Sticks of wood.
  • Rocks.
  • A stop sign outside my office.
  • A 1953 Ford pickup truck.
  • A 14mm box wrench.
  • Gravity.
  • The toilet of a specific home in Ohio.
  • The queue in EVE.

See, working as intended is the same as working as designed. It makes no claim to be relevant to a task or a need. It makes no claim that it is not obsolete for a task or need either.
It simply means it behaves in a manner consistent with it's design.

Now, there are many who cross reference DESIGN with HOPE, and popular usage is to blame for some of this. When someone says a device was designed to fix a problem, what they are actually saying the design was inspired by someone's idea of what they hoped would fix a problem.

Once someone can look at the current design, and see how it has been working, they can then design how it can be improved. In salute to previous logic, my idea is cautious, and only advances it a small step.

Setting the queue is not what people are paying to do, let's stop pretending that somehow it is.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#111 - 2012-02-13 16:50:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
You are completely missing the point.

The hard part of skill training is knowing what to train and training it in the order that will give you the most benefit for the entire training time.

No change to the queue will ever change that.
So it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
This assumption of balance is based purely on a reference from the introduction of the queue. It points out they have no idea what would happen once they implemented it, so they were cautious on what they put in.
It's no assumption at all, unlike your AFK line early in this thread. (Although like I said, that was actually closer to fiction.)

Nikk Narrel wrote:
Works as intended. I love this line, so I avoided poking at it before. It really makes me laugh.

Ok, fast list of things working as intended, (this is by no means complete):

• Sticks of wood.
  • Rocks.
  • A stop sign outside my office.
  • A 1953 Ford pickup truck.
  • A 14mm box wrench.
  • Gravity.
  • The toilet of a specific home in Ohio.
  • The queue in EVE.

See, working as intended is the same as working as designed. It makes no claim to be relevant to a task or a need. It makes no claim that it is not obsolete for a task or need either.
It simply means it behaves in a manner consistent with it's design.

Now, there are many who cross reference DESIGN with HOPE, and popular usage is to blame for some of this. When someone says a device was designed to fix a problem, what they are actually saying the design was inspired by someone's idea of what they hoped would fix a problem.

Once someone can look at the current design, and see how it has been working, they can then design how it can be improved. In salute to previous logic, my idea is cautious, and only advances it a small step.

Setting the queue is not what people are paying to do, let's stop pretending that somehow it is.
There is of course one major problem with your list. A problem so glaringly obvious, I now see why you have no concept of what working as intended actually means in regards to the queue.

Seven of them are pertaining to real life and one is a mechanic in a privately owned game. The owners of which, (and the majority of players) believe is balanced perfectly for the job it does well. Blink

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#112 - 2012-02-13 17:26:19 UTC
Mag's wrote:

Seven of them are pertaining to real life and one is a mechanic in a privately owned game. The owners of which, (and the majority of players) believe is balanced perfectly for the job it does well. Blink

Actually, the proprietors of the game haven't expressed an opinion on whether the queue is working as originally intended since it was released.

I haven't seen a dev post on a skill queue thread of any sort in ages.

So any assumption about what they think of the current state of affairs is purely that: an assumption.

They might be happy, they might be looking for likely changes.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#113 - 2012-02-13 17:34:22 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Actually, the proprietors of the game haven't expressed an opinion on whether the queue is working as originally intended since it was released.

I haven't seen a dev post on a skill queue thread of any sort in ages.
When you do and I'm proved wrong, then you can let me know. Blink

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#114 - 2012-02-13 18:47:26 UTC
Mag's wrote:
It's no assumption at all, unlike your AFK line early in this thread. (Although like I said, that was actually closer to fiction.)

Ah, you claim it never happened. Your source must be woefully lacking here, assuming it is accurate otherwise.

I was there, and I was one of the guys doing it.
In our corp at the time, it was seen commonly occurring in fact.
It was the fastest way we knew to get skills plugged in. We trained all the short skills at once, and tried to queue up something that was as long as possible for overnight.
Most of us were not actively playing at these times, we did not even want to be online for the most part, but we knew when we did play next, we really wanted those skills.
Put on a movie, have the PC in the corner of your view to notice the skill completed with the voiceover. Pop next skill on, wash rinse repeat.
It was simply the cost of getting skills at the time, given the tools we had available.

OH, and it was also considered "Working as intended".

Mag's wrote:
There is of course one major problem with your list. A problem so glaringly obvious, I now see why you have no concept of what working as intended actually means in regards to the queue.

You presume to speak for the majority of the players, first of all, which is absurd. At best, you can only speak for the players you have consulted on this topic. It is unlikely to be a significant number, much less represent a majority of players.

Do a majority of players accept it? Yes, the ones who could not stand it have unsubbed already, although it was probably only one of a list of reasons, statistically speaking.

I would love to see an in-game poll, which asked if they thought the queue was perfectly balanced, or would they like to see my idea. I do not ever expect to see such a poll, as I doubt CCP has even read this thread, but I am confidant your expectations would be unmet.

In fact, the only fiction I have seen lately is your repeated assertions of balanced, and CCP wants this, in the total absence of supporting facts. The best you seem able to do, is point to the way it currently exists as some kind of proof.
I would like you to give something more than hearsay to support your position.

If you can do that, how did you put it...
Mag's wrote:
When you do and I'm proved wrong, then you can let me know. Blink
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#115 - 2012-02-13 20:22:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Nikk Narrel
Mmmm... side thought, just occurred to me.
(Well, I had thought of this some time ago, but something I recently read reminded me)
(The thread 'Ship spinning in your browser, PI next)

What IF: We leave the details of the queue's operation alone... but increase access to it?

Someone earlier asked how you would know when a skill finished, and not have a PC able to log in. Details skipped, some PC's cannot handle the client for one thing, and you don't need a PC if you have a smart phone.

Android phones have an app called Aura, I use it for heads up on skills and such. Excellent tool, using your API, it can tell you what's in your queue, when it will finish, what assets you have and where, whole nine yards.

Expressed back towards my idea variant: give us skill queue access through EVE Gate.

You would still need to log in to acquire skill books, and at least inject them, but at least you could give people with skills available to train the ability to train them.

Most smart phones have browsers, or some have apps that access EVE already, as described above.
If someone could slot a skill for training through a browser or App, or even EVE Mon, that would also place people with a feeling of activity and progress.

Even if they could not log into the game properly, they would still have a feeling of accomplishment, and that can mean more than many might imagine. It would certainly give people stuck away from playing otherwise, a reason to keep their subscription active, and enjoy the game more when they did log in normally.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#116 - 2012-02-13 21:08:57 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Ah, you claim it never happened. Your source must be woefully lacking here, assuming it is accurate otherwise.

I was there, and I was one of the guys doing it.
In our corp at the time, it was seen commonly occurring in fact.
It was the fastest way we knew to get skills plugged in. We trained all the short skills at once, and tried to queue up something that was as long as possible for overnight.
Most of us were not actively playing at these times, we did not even want to be online for the most part, but we knew when we did play next, we really wanted those skills.
Put on a movie, have the PC in the corner of your view to notice the skill completed with the voiceover. Pop next skill on, wash rinse repeat.
It was simply the cost of getting skills at the time, given the tools we had available.
You're again claiming I said something I didn't. I said it was at best conjecture, but more like fiction. People have always and will always, log in and go AFK. What I found entertaining, was your link to AFK server clutter and responsiveness of players and inferred this as a reason they created the queue. It may have had some facts, but taken as a whole it was nonsense and quite frankly irrelevant.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
OH, and it was also considered "Working as intended".
Oh indeed it was at the time, but again you're here without the full facts. (shocking, I know)

They said back then that they wouldn't give us a queue, whilst we had ghost training. When that was removed, calls for a queue gathered a pace. They took some time and came out with the balanced, 24 hour skill queue.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
You presume to speak for the majority of the players, first of all, which is absurd...............

Do a majority of players accept it? Yes
Roll

As far as CCP is concerned, it boils down to this.
They arrived at balance, when they released it. The clue in the fact that they are happy with it, is down to the fact that not since that point, have I seen them say otherwise or mentioned a change to it. If you can point me to where they have, then do so. As and until this happens, I'll conclude that CCP do in fact like the queue and think it is balanced.

I see you've decide to skip over your list comparison, so I'll leave it there.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
give us skill queue access through EVE Gate.
They have, as far as I know, already mentioned this as a possibility. Believe it or not, if done in a balanced/limited way, I have no issue with this.