These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Warp Free Flight

Author
Valei Khurelem
#1 - 2012-02-12 08:04:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
So I had this idea while I was flying around and getting past blockades in my shuttle, looking at warp bubbles, wouldn't it be incredibly easy to get past them in any ship if you could control where you went in free flight? Even now most gate campers are pretty stupid and only place them in a couple of areas. I just think that if you're skilled enough to spot these mistakes and do it in a shuttle why not give people the ability to do it in large ships as well.

Here's what I propose, you first need to activate warp so you need to select a direction to go in like normal, you then press a shortcut or button for free flight mode, the camera will then lock behind you Freelancer style and because it would be too slow I think you should be able to drag the ship in the direction you want rather than double click.

This would allow skilled pilots to move past warp bubbles even in capital ships, if they make the mistake of getting caught in a bubble that's their fault, this would also mean that campers would be forced to think more tactically about how they place their bubbles. The reason I want this put in is that the reason that campers are so difficult to get past is because they know exactly when and where people are going to come from to their gates, local chat will inform them of when and they'll know where since they can just do a directional scan to each gate that's already bookmarked for them.

Posting this in the hopes that CCP will do something more to make me feel like I'm actually piloting a ship in EVE and not just watching a screensaver.

TLDR Response to trolls: Lag, you noob can't get past campers?, ******* noob etc. etc. I know what you have to say to any idea in this forum, don't bother posting.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#2 - 2012-02-12 10:49:28 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
So I had this idea while I was flying around and getting past blockades in my shuttle, looking at warp bubbles, wouldn't it be incredibly easy to get past them in any ship if you could control where you went in free flight? Even now most gate campers are pretty stupid and only place them in a couple of areas. I just think that if you're skilled enough to spot these mistakes and do it in a shuttle why not give people the ability to do it in large ships as well.

Here's what I propose, you first need to activate warp so you need to select a direction to go in like normal, you then press a shortcut or button for free flight mode, the camera will then lock behind you Freelancer style and because it would be too slow I think you should be able to drag the ship in the direction you want rather than double click.

This would allow skilled pilots to move past warp bubbles even in capital ships, if they make the mistake of getting caught in a bubble that's their fault, this would also mean that campers would be forced to think more tactically about how they place their bubbles. The reason I want this put in is that the reason that campers are so difficult to get past is because they know exactly when and where people are going to come from to their gates, local chat will inform them of when and they'll know where since they can just do a directional scan to each gate that's already bookmarked for them.

Posting this in the hopes that CCP will do something more to make me feel like I'm actually piloting a ship in EVE and not just watching a screensaver.

TLDR Response to trolls: Lag, you noob can't get past campers?, ******* noob etc. etc. I know what you have to say on any idea in this forum, don't bother posting.

sounds like a nice way for me to make deep safes.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2012-02-12 15:33:45 UTC
I too would like to make it physically impossible to defend territory.
killorbekilled TBE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-02-12 16:03:21 UTC
this idea is flawed on a few levels but im not here to teach people to fly in 0.0

:)

Valei Khurelem
#5 - 2012-02-12 16:51:37 UTC
Has anyone ever told you 0.0 players you're a bunch of carebears? You sure seem to like risk but only if it doesn't affect you.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2012-02-12 17:16:24 UTC
or ... MWD/cloak in random direction?

you *have* to send a known endpoint for the warp ... because, well, you don't want to end up in a star or something.

Quote:

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#7 - 2012-02-12 17:34:06 UTC
Awesome quote Velicitia.

And, in addition to what other people have said, it would be an insanely massive change to the game's engine with no real benefits at all. It'll never happen, and that's all that really matters. /thread
Velicitia
XS Tech
#8 - 2012-02-12 17:37:39 UTC
keep that one around for when these "lemme warp where I want to" threads come up Blink

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-02-12 17:43:07 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Has anyone ever told you 0.0 players you're a bunch of carebears? You sure seem to like risk but only if it doesn't affect you.

I'm not quite sure how 'If I am camping a gate to keep bad guys out of my alliance's territory, so our carebears can carebear without getting hotdropped or ganked, I would like to actually be able to keep the bad guys out' counts as being a carebear. You seem to think you have an intrinsic right to fly into any alliance's home system, run their anomalies, mine their rocks and not get killed in the process. That's not how 0.0 works.
Valei Khurelem
#10 - 2012-02-12 17:58:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
Velicitia wrote:

you *have* to send a known endpoint for the warp ... because, well, you don't want to end up in a star or something.

Quote:

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.

So why not let ships who chose to go free flight get blown up by stars and planets? Or are you against that to? You seem to hate any idea that puts your sovereignty at risk and that's the whole point of a lot of my ideas, the problem is you consider the rest of the player base automatic 'bad guys' so in turn they're going to consider you a bunch of assholes, particularly if you gank them on sight regardless of whether they're in a combat ship or a mining barge.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2012-02-12 18:36:45 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

Quote:

So why not let ships who chose to go free flight get blown up by stars and planets? Or are you against that to? You seem to hate any idea that puts your sovereignty at risk and that's the whole point of a lot of my ideas, the problem is you consider the rest of the player base automatic 'bad guys' so in turn they're going to consider you a bunch of assholes, particularly if you gank them on sight regardless of whether they're in a combat ship or a mining barge.

The thing is, outside of maybe providence, any neutral you see in 0.0 most likely IS trying to kill you/your friends. If you neuter gatecamps, you massively buff ganking, and I thought you didn't like that?
Valei Khurelem
#12 - 2012-02-12 18:49:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
That's where you're actually wrong, ganking would only be buffed ( if at all ) for 0.0 alliances who gank everyone who come through the chokepoints, the people you attack largely don't have alliances or large corporations filled with hundreds of people to back them up, in the end you'd still be able to take them out and if you get ganked by a free flight pilot you'd deserve it because you not only over-extended yourself that you can't watch stargates properly but you also leave lots of gaps open in your defenses.

In the end as you've said you want to defend your sovereignty, the only problem with this is you want it to be easy, 0.0 alliances shouldn't be able to hold as much space as they do with such little effort and treating everyone with hostility should have consequences.

Mfume Apocal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-02-12 19:07:40 UTC
this entire idea is basically one guy being mad that other people play this game with friends and he doesnt
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2012-02-12 19:13:56 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
That's where you're actually wrong, ganking would only be buffed ( if at all ) for 0.0 alliances who gank everyone who come through the chokepoints, the people you attack largely don't have alliances or large corporations filled with hundreds of people to back them up, in the end you'd still be able to take them out and if you get ganked by a free flight pilot you'd deserve it because you not only over-extended yourself that you can't watch stargates properly but you also leave lots of gaps open in your defenses.

In the end as you've said you want to defend your sovereignty, the only problem with this is you want it to be easy, 0.0 alliances shouldn't be able to hold as much space as they do with such little effort and treating everyone with hostility should have consequences.

I'll be sure to tell that to the raiden. (2k members,), White Noise (1k members) PL (1k members) guys, along with the assorted others, who can usually be found around Deklein, either camping, hunting people, ganking or AFKing. Of course, no-one from a 0.0 bloc would EVER use a system that allowed them to ignore gatecamps to go wresk their opponent's home systems, would they?

It doesn't matter if you can watch gates or not if you can never actually catch anyone on them. My alliance holds sov in ten systems. Are you telling me this is too much? That being able to camp a chokepoint gate to keep some of that clear is somehow a bad thing? Or that everyone who dies in, say, EC-, M-O or HED-GP, all 0.0 entrance chokepoints, jumped in intending to rat peacefully in someone else's space?

Treating everyone as if they were harmless would have a hell of a lot more problems than just shooting them on the way in. Would anyone with real experience of an NRDS system like to chime in on the dis/advantages of such a system for our idealistic young friend here?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#15 - 2012-02-12 19:14:37 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I'm concerned about my sov.Roll
This is EVE. The rest of the playerbase is out to get me (and you, and mxzf, and that other guy in the corner).

Manuel Diaz
HelloKittyFanclub
#16 - 2012-02-12 22:22:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Manuel Diaz
Valei Khurelem wrote:

Mr. Khurelem, your complete inability to take advice given to you by older, and wiser, players never ceases to amaze me. I'm just going to throw this out here, and see what you think:

Not everyone responding in these threads you make is a troll. Yet everyone always disagrees with you.

Can you come up with an explanation to this phenomena? I can, it's that your ideas are terrible and poorly thought out.

Now I'm not particularly against you continuing to try and contribute ideas, they make for an amusing read every now and then, but please try and be a little more polite about it. Calling everyone carebears, and saying they hate your ideas because "it puts their sovereignty at risk", or some other nonsense is just rude. Let alone rather inaccurate.

Anyway, as for this idea, it just means people will gate camp and stop using bubbles. You jump through, broadsword/sabre or w/e bubbles up, you die in a fire. It also removes the "skill" involved in warping to safes, using recons or blackade runners etc.

"I just think that if you're skilled enough to spot these mistakes and do it in a shuttle": I've also just got to lol at this. Traversing null sec in a shuttle, the mad skills this guy has, eh? Hell, in a shuttle you can land in a bubble, align to the celestial you warped from and get away before anything locks you. There's about as much skill involved in getting around in a shuttle as there is in podding yourself to reach your destination.
Overs
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-02-12 22:36:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Overs
I think bubbles should pull in anyone who warps onto grid, regardless of alignment.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#18 - 2012-02-12 23:08:15 UTC
Manuel Diaz wrote:
Mr. Khurelem, your complete inability to take advice given to you by older, and wiser, players never ceases to amaze me. I'm just going to throw this out here, and see what you think:

Not everyone responding in these threads you make is a troll. Yet everyone always disagrees with you.

Can you come up with an explanation to this phenomena? I can, it's that your ideas are terrible and poorly thought out.

Now I'm not particularly against you continuing to try and contribute ideas, they make for an amusing read every now and then, but please try and be a little more polite about it. Calling everyone carebears, and saying they hate your ideas because "it puts their sovereignty at risk", or some other nonsense is just rude. Let alone rather inaccurate.

Anyway, as for this idea, it just means people will gate camp and stop using bubbles. You jump through, broadsword/sabre or w/e bubbles up, you die in a fire. It also removes the "skill" involved in warping to safes, using recons or blackade runners etc.

"I just think that if you're skilled enough to spot these mistakes and do it in a shuttle": I've also just got to lol at this. Traversing null sec in a shuttle, the mad skills this guy has, eh? Hell, in a shuttle you can land in a bubble, align to the celestial you warped from and get away before anything locks you. There's about as much skill involved in getting around in a shuttle as there is in podding yourself to reach your destination.

*golfclap*

Couldn't have said it any better. +1 for you sir!
Valei Khurelem
#19 - 2012-02-13 08:51:46 UTC
Quote:
Calling everyone carebears, and saying they hate your ideas because "it puts their sovereignty at risk", or some other nonsense is just rude. Let alone rather inaccurate.

Oh yeah, I'm so totally wrong on this, I bow before your greatness and wisdom.

Quote:
sounds like a nice way for me to make deep safes.

Quote:
I too would like to make it physically impossible to defend territory.

In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic, the first two posts made in this thread were exactly about that, not only that 0.0 players repeatedly post in my threads complaining about how my ideas would make it much more difficult to defend territory and that's the point.

It's amazing that you actually think I need advice when I know EVE Online is just a giant game of rock/paper/scissors like most RPGs are because they were lightly based off ancient D&D rules which were meant for co-op gaming and not PvP. However I'm sure being so ancient and knowledgeable you'd already know this so I shouldn't need to lecture you on how games like this work.

This game will not be fixed by by half-assed nerfs, particularly ones that are designed to make it easier for you to defend what you have and deny entire regions of the game to high sec or newbies.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2012-02-13 09:34:04 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
deny entire regions of the game to high sec or newbies.

You don't understand the concept of owning space, do you?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

12Next page