These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Forum Feature - Limited Posting!

Author
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-02-03 22:45:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Xolve
Dearest CCP,

Please with kind regards to these ignorant types that havn't played your game for any extended period of time, make it requisite to be at minimum one year old in order to propose changes to this game I love ever so much. You have made amazing stride in the past few months fixing many of the eyesores and wrongs within EvE, this would be a boon to goodposters everywhere, and further increase the positive utilization of SpaceBook: Online.

Regards,

Xolve.

P.S. Can I have my signature back? I promise to never intentionally misspell masterbate again!
Daeva Teresa
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-02-03 22:58:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Daeva Teresa
Xolve ok but even absolutely new player (say 1 month old) can have valuable ideas for example New Players Experience dont you think?

Other than that one year may not be enought. Even with how complex and hard EvE is, there are a lot of stupid people playing it, who never learns.

Last, some ideas that seems stupid to you may seem great to other people. Just let them share it, no one forces you to read them or react to them.

CCP really please dont use Upgraded, Limited, Experimental and Prototype in item names. It sounds like the item is actually worse than basic meta 1 item. Use Calibrated, Enhanced, Optimized and Upgraded. Its really easy to understand that the item is better than meta 1 and its also in alphabetic order.

Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2012-02-03 23:02:51 UTC
Daeva Teresa wrote:
Xolve ok but even absolutely new player (say 1 month old) can have valuable ideas for example New Players Experience dont you think?

Other than that one year may not be enought. Even with how complex and hard EvE is, there are a lot of stupid people playing it, who never learns.

Last, some ideas that seems stupid to you may seem great to other people. Just let them share it, no one forces you to read them or react to them.

I meant to say for them to start a thread. I'm not saying a new player can't have a positive influence, just saying that alot of them can't see the consequences their 'proposals' have on other aspects of the game, I have yet to read an Idea about a ship, missions, or and module modification that would be super in one regard, and utterly game breaking in others.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-02-04 02:16:20 UTC
Daeva Teresa wrote:

This. New players being able to post will encourage them to become an active member of the community.

As for placing a limit on forum posting, I'd rather have CCP set up some sort of regulation pertaining to troll posting. Over the years this activity has become accepted as normal behavior when all it does is push good helpful players away while at the same time encouraging more troll posting mentality.

I propose that after 10 legitimate 'Reports' are placed against a player, that player gets a temporary forum ban of 1 week. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and that player gets a 2 week ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and that player gets a 1 month forum ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and the player gets 2 months forum ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and the player gets 4 months ban, etc.

This would definitely discourage blatant troll posting as well as help clean up the forums. It would turn the forums into a productive venue for sharing information again.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2012-02-04 02:18:36 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Daeva Teresa wrote:

This. New players being able to post will encourage them to become an active member of the community.

As for placing a limit on forum posting, I'd rather have CCP set up some sort of regulation pertaining to troll posting. Over the years this activity has become accepted as normal behavior when all it does is push good helpful players away while at the same time encouraging more troll posting mentality.

I propose that after 10 legitimate 'Reports' are placed against a player, that player gets a temporary forum ban of 1 week. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and that player gets a 2 week ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and that player gets a 1 month forum ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and the player gets 2 months forum ban. Another 10 legitimate 'Reports' and the player gets 4 months ban, etc.

This would definitely discourage blatant troll posting as well as help clean up the forums. It would turn the forums into a productive venue for sharing information again.

How do you define a legitimate report? How do you not see how this would be abused?
AFK Hauler
State War Academy
#6 - 2012-02-04 03:03:53 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Daeva Teresa wrote:

Reported...
Mag's
Azn Empire
#7 - 2012-02-04 08:34:09 UTC
I think there is some merit to this idea, although I'm pretty certain it'll never happen. Twisted

+1

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-02-12 00:11:06 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Daeva Teresa wrote:

How do you define a legitimate report? How do you not see how this would be abused?
Simple. A 'Legitimate' report is verified by CCP per forum rules and then edited by forum moderator.
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#9 - 2012-02-12 00:59:23 UTC
get out

better idea: 1 character per account can post, the one with most sp
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#10 - 2012-02-12 01:00:43 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

This would require ccp mods to do their job

As it stands, thats asking a lot.

Case in point: they still let me post here
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#11 - 2012-02-12 01:19:10 UTC
Restricting forum posting to only members with a year in the game is awful proposal which will of course never be implemented.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-02-12 01:20:01 UTC
Emperor Salazar wrote:
get out

Get out?

No can do.

Your idea of only letting 1 char with the highest sp's per account be allowed to post sounds feasible..
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#13 - 2012-02-12 01:43:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Emperor Salazar
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Emperor Salazar wrote:
get out

Get out?

No can do.

Your idea of only letting 1 char with the highest sp's per account be allowed to post sounds feasible..

the get out was directed at my test broski with his terrible idea

i would never tell you to get out, you're just too much damn fun
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2012-02-12 01:56:42 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Daeva Teresa wrote:

Simple. A 'Legitimate' report is verified by CCP per forum rules and then edited by forum moderator.

Where are they going to find enough moderators to go through the thousands of reports they'll get every day, the petitions about the reports, and all the other time consuming rubbish this would generate?

Where do the forum rules say I can't tell you your ideas are terrible?
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#15 - 2012-02-12 02:05:00 UTC
I'm on the fence about it. On one side, limiting what people can do is bad; but on the other side, there are a lot of people who are just idiots and don't know the first thing about Eve who are posting on here.

I do like the idea of "Post with your main" though.
Bearilian
Man Eating Bears
#16 - 2012-02-12 02:17:59 UTC
first, I like most of these suggestions. and would be happy with any of them.

Danika Princip wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

defining legitamate would be up to ccp, and be kept track by them. this could not be abused because of this.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2012-02-12 02:36:38 UTC
Bearilian wrote:

defining legitamate would be up to ccp, and be kept track by them. this could not be abused because of this.

This is EVE. If it exists, we WILL abuse it.
Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-02-12 04:29:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
I'd argue that it's not so much a new player being the problem as it is people of less than average intelligence, sub par patience and entitlement mentalities.

They confront a situation they do not understand by asking how can I change the circumstance to fit my preference. Instead they should ask how I can change myself and compete with the mechanics provided.

This is more of a cultural problem coupled with human nature.

It has the potential to ruin a game. Pirates of the Burning Sea. Star Wars Galaxies another. Warcraft is well on it's way towards it.

However, in EVE, we have a critical mass of intelligent players of the personality type that adapts to the circumstance not asking for the circumstance to adapt to them.

As long as CCP heeds the words of the wise the game will always have a following. Should it take the road to the lowest common denominators, the game will die. The reason being is that the most intelligent players are the ones who make the game, any game, exciting. They provide the greatest challenge. They lead the most successful groups. Etc.

When they leave, the community quickly follows suit.

Universities don't bring in the ignorant for speaking engagements. They bring in the most brilliant. One is far more interesting and charismatic and actually knows what the hell they are talking about. This applies to MMOs as well.
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2012-02-12 07:24:56 UTC
Emperor Salazar wrote:
i would never tell you to get out, you're just too much damn fun

Stick around for a while, you will understand my request.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#20 - 2012-02-12 20:23:12 UTC
mxzf wrote:
I do like the idea of "Post with your main" though.

^ This, pretty much.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

12Next page