These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill Que Tweak

Author
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#81 - 2012-02-11 16:34:37 UTC
Seriously, what part of "CCP has said it's working as intended" can people not grasp?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#82 - 2012-02-11 16:40:34 UTC
mxzf wrote:
Seriously, what part of "CCP has said it's working as intended" can people not grasp?

:CCP:

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#83 - 2012-02-11 17:59:58 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

I was around when they brought about the queue. Was a godsend to not need to plan around "sleep", "work" or "class" anymore. Cool

edit --> forgot "downtime"
Indeed it was a great addition to the skill sheet and stopped the headache of all the small skills that needed to be trained.

You also remember correctly, the main reason for balance in this regard. Cool

You have to be kidding me, you are seriously quoting that post by her as a form of serious endorsement?

Velicitia wrote:
Yeah, it would be great to "set and forget" 3 months worth of skill training ... but there's no incentive for me to log in regularly in that 3 month timespan (well, other than corp stuff... but there are those "solo" types). No incentives to log in -- well, then why am I paying $15 a month to not log in? Might as well cancel the sub...

So what you are saying, is that people primarily log on to update their skill que, and they would unsub without this daily need...
Level 5 on some of the longer skills must be killing the game already, following that logic.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#84 - 2012-02-11 18:01:39 UTC
mxzf wrote:

What part of "working as intended doesn't mean it's not still broken for some players" is so difficult to grasp?

I would assume the entire game is working per design. That doesn't mean that some things couldn't stand to be changed.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#85 - 2012-02-11 18:04:22 UTC
mxzf wrote:

The part where they said that they said it works perfectly, and has no room for improvement.

OH, wait, they NEVER said that part, you were just reading this into it because it suited your argument!
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#86 - 2012-02-11 18:19:06 UTC
It might help to hear from CCP on this issue. To help this, I provide you this link:
http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=621
more queue queue
reported by CCP Eris Discordia | 2009.02.04 11:16:46

And a relevant quote from the end:
CCP Eris Discordia wrote:

Future

We are hard at work completing the skill queue and we have left room to develop the way you manage skills further. For example we could add a planning system and maybe even connect skill plans to certificates or modules. We´d appreciate any feedback you have on the skill queue and other ways to help you manage your skills. Or to paraphrase the CSM ‘ YES, OMG11!!!11CCP WeLovesyou7!!Thx!ByeKissesHUgs´.

We all love you back and all go QQ your skills.

Kinda speaks to this, I feel.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#87 - 2012-02-11 18:52:21 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Velicitia wrote:
Yeah, it would be great to "set and forget" 3 months worth of skill training ... but there's no incentive for me to log in regularly in that 3 month timespan (well, other than corp stuff... but there are those "solo" types). No incentives to log in -- well, then why am I paying $15 a month to not log in? Might as well cancel the sub...

So what you are saying, is that people primarily log on to update their skill que, and they would unsub without this daily need...
Level 5 on some of the longer skills must be killing the game already, following that logic.

yes and no.

by the time you're setting skills that take a month or longer, you're in at least one of a few categories:

1. long time missioner, who likes it.
2. player-run corp (maybe alliance).
3. you have an alt
4. you really, really need that extra 2% and can't afford using an implant in *that* slot
5. industrialist, and already have all 30 slots trained up on your account

Essentially, you've invested time, and know how to make eve "fun", so the month long train time is training towards a specific goal.

CCP's premise at the beginning was "if we make people have to log in, then the chances of violence increases" (which we all want). They later figured out "oh, yeah ... if Mag's logs in at 3 AM local, he's not likely to stick around and violence mxzf" (which we don't want).

Looking at old devblogs (and posts) can give insight into what they're thinking ... but keep in mind that doesn't always happen. If you want, I could pull an '07 blog that has CCP talking about making ganglinks grid-only because they are aware that gang boosters hiding in POS suck (also, because they want you to violence that new capital they're bringing out in the upcoming expansion*).

fast forward ~4.5 years --> hm, yeah, gang bonuses still apply system-wide

*before anyone panics --> THE "UPCOMING EXPANSION" WAS FROM 2007. THAT BOAT HAS BEEN IN GAME FOR 4.5 YEARS ALREADY.

Also, the quote you posted was from the devblog where they unveiled the queue (or gave updates on progress, whichever). Keep in mind, that before this time, you were planning around work/class/sleep/downtime (or not, in the case of alarm-clock training).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#88 - 2012-02-11 20:17:47 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
yes and no.

by the time you're setting skills that take a month or longer, you're in at least one of a few categories:

3. you have an alt
4. you really, really need that extra 2% and can't afford using an implant in *that* slot

Essentially, you've invested time, and know how to make eve "fun", so the month long train time is training towards a specific goal.

And the same detail applies to my suggested idea. By the time they could train one of the much referred to super long skills, they have achieved what you described above.
It doesn't matter if they can train the skill all in one queue, or bit by bit, they are already invested in the game, and unlikely to leave it over the queue being more convenient.

Velicitia wrote:
CCP's premise at the beginning was "if we make people have to log in, then the chances of violence increases" (which we all want). They later figured out "oh, yeah ... if Mag's logs in at 3 AM local, he's not likely to stick around and violence mxzf" (which we don't want).

... stuff about ganglinks used for perspective attempt ...

Also, the quote you posted was from the devblog where they unveiled the queue (or gave updates on progress, whichever). Keep in mind, that before this time, you were planning around work/class/sleep/downtime (or not, in the case of alarm-clock training).

I was there back before the queue too, and I gotta tell you, the change to the queue did not make people log in to play more or less, based on what I saw.
People who could play, did play. People who could not play, updated their queue, and left, (it did not matter what was going on, if you did not have time).
Put another way, people did not start playing just because they logged in for the queue. Oh sure, some people on the odd occasion might have stuck around if they had a few minutes time, but for the most part, if they had enough time to play already, they did because the time was there.

Yes, that quote was from the unveiling of the queue. About 3 years ago.
As it is now, unless you are dealing with shorter skills, noone needs to log in daily. For example, I have an alt that doesn't need to show up for the queue till the 19th, that doesn't mean it won't get played till then.

What you might want to consider, is that some people may not be interested in logging in until they finish training for something.
These people want to be able to (X), and will only update the queue till this happens, since they feel they need (X) in order to have meaningful gameplay. The sooner they get (X), the sooner they play more than the queue game itself.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#89 - 2012-02-11 21:19:27 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Indeed it was a great addition to the skill sheet and stopped the headache of all the small skills that needed to be trained.

You also remember correctly, the main reason for balance in this regard. Cool

You have to be kidding me, you are seriously quoting that post by her as a form of serious endorsement?
Serious endorsement? Wait, what? I was agreeing it was a great addition and also mentioned Velicitia got it right, in regards to why the 24 hour limit was balanced. Are you even reading the same thread?

Nikk Narrel wrote:
It might help to hear from CCP on this issue. To help this, I provide you this link:
http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=621
more queue queue
reported by CCP Eris Discordia | 2009.02.04 11:16:46

And a relevant quote from the end:

Future

We are hard at work completing the skill queue and we have left room to develop the way you manage skills further. For example we could add a planning system and maybe even connect skill plans to certificates or modules. We´d appreciate any feedback you have on the skill queue and other ways to help you manage your skills. Or to paraphrase the CSM ‘ YES, OMG11!!!11CCP WeLovesyou7!!Thx!ByeKissesHUgs´.

We all love you back and all go QQ your skills.

Kinda speaks to this, I feel.
Ahh so you eventually went back and read the relevant dev blog, you're a bit late to the party but welcome. We're glad you could join us. Cool

I do like the cherry picking though and your thought that it somehow makes your idea valid. It doesn't. You did in fact leave out the most important part, the part that is relevant to this idea.

While it´s cool that you can advance your character when you are offline, we did worry that if we introduced a skill queue some players might just set a queue for a year and become less active in EVE. That´s not what a massively multiplayer ONLINE game is about. EVE is a social game and we want you exposed to other players so you can start making legends out of you or corporation and strive for domination. A long abstinence from EVE would ruin this for us.

And yet, we know people do have lives outside of EVE and you don´t really want to set your alarm to change skills, or worse lose out on skill training because you couldn´t make it home in time. And it´s always the shorter skills that fall right between a day and anything less than that which are the hardest to fit into your schedule.

So we sought a way to make the planning of skill training easier by using a queue, but without the risk of people queuing forever and not really being active in the game.
Oh dear.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#90 - 2012-02-11 21:52:44 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Ahh so you eventually went back and read the relevant dev blog, you're a bit late to the party but welcome. We're glad you could join us. Cool

I do like the cherry picking though and your thought that it somehow makes your idea valid. It doesn't. You did in fact leave out the most important part, the part that is relevant to this idea.

While it´s cool that you can advance your character when you are offline, we did worry that if we introduced a skill queue some players might just set a queue for a year and become less active in EVE. That´s not what a massively multiplayer ONLINE game is about. EVE is a social game and we want you exposed to other players so you can start making legends out of you or corporation and strive for domination. A long abstinence from EVE would ruin this for us.

And yet, we know people do have lives outside of EVE and you don´t really want to set your alarm to change skills, or worse lose out on skill training because you couldn´t make it home in time. And it´s always the shorter skills that fall right between a day and anything less than that which are the hardest to fit into your schedule.

So we sought a way to make the planning of skill training easier by using a queue, but without the risk of people queuing forever and not really being active in the game.
Oh dear.

/Sound of a large trap snapping shut.

Did you honestly think I missed that? I even posted the link for you.

Yes, three years ago they were worried on that detail. After all, the queue was not implemented yet, who knew for certain how it would change things?

They now have this information. They now know from experience what the impact, or lack thereof, my idea will likely have. It is only taking their idea forward by a small step, considering the ideas they were already kicking around.

I thank you for pointing out that this was a concern based on a lack of information available to them at the time.

They can evaluate this now using that data, unlike when the queue was new.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#91 - 2012-02-12 00:10:37 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
/Sound of a large trap snapping shut.

Did you honestly think I missed that? I even posted the link for you.

Yes, three years ago they were worried on that detail. After all, the queue was not implemented yet, who knew for certain how it would change things?

They now have this information. They now know from experience what the impact, or lack thereof, my idea will likely have. It is only taking their idea forward by a small step, considering the ideas they were already kicking around.

I thank you for pointing out that this was a concern based on a lack of information available to them at the time.

They can evaluate this now using that data, unlike when the queue was new.
I didn't say you missed it, I said you cherry picked the parts you felt supported your idea and left out the relevant part. You can open that trap and release your fingers now. Blink

Can I point you to post 75, where I mention I re-read that blog to refresh my memory when you first posted this idea. Like I said, even though you're late, welcome to the party.

They took along time to release a queue, because they were worried about balance. Their main concern was time away and how a queue could affect that.
They didn't arrive on 24 hours by simply plucking that figure out the air. They were fully aware of exactly how long the longest skill was to train and decided that only 24 hours was needed on top of that. This kept the time between logging in balanced, but allowed for all those small skills to be added before.

In other words, a balanced mechanic that works as intended and works well. Cool

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#92 - 2012-02-12 12:27:15 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
yes and no.

3. you have an alt

And the same detail applies to my suggested idea. By the time they could train one of the much referred to super long skills, they have achieved what you described above.
It doesn't matter if they can train the skill all in one queue, or bit by bit, they are already invested in the game, and unlikely to leave it over the queue being more convenient.

*THEY* might not, but the 2 day rookie who thinks that "set and forget" three months of skills (or hell, a week, or a month), so they can be pro at something is what you have to consider. In essence, the skill system is the first taste of "your decisions matter" that a rookie will have in the game... and it's a lot easier on them than the other examples... getting can baited, going to lowsec/nullsec/w-space, joining an at-war player corp, undocking whilst under a dec, fitting ships for gank/mining yield/cap stability over tank (or any combination thereof), etc.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#93 - 2012-02-12 17:23:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Nikk Narrel
Velicitia wrote:
*THEY* might not, but the 2 day rookie who thinks that "set and forget" three months of skills (or hell, a week, or a month), so they can be pro at something is what you have to consider. In essence, the skill system is the first taste of "your decisions matter" that a rookie will have in the game... and it's a lot easier on them than the other examples... getting can baited, going to lowsec/nullsec/w-space, joining an at-war player corp, undocking whilst under a dec, fitting ships for gank/mining yield/cap stability over tank (or any combination thereof), etc.

The two day rookie should either be using the tutorial, or being guided by a more experienced player. In the case of the experienced player, it is likely someone they know, possibly who recruited them to the game.

You are pointing to what should be a narrow and limited group of players, who elect to ignore instructions and recommended teaching guides. Noone can predict how they will react to anything, much less design game systems to avoid giving them a boring experience. You have to be able to predict actions to some degree in order to plan for them.

We cannot worry over random playstyles. For all we know, they think this is an extension of the DMV, and they are taking a simulated driving test in their rookie ship.

And as for setting three months of skills being bad, assuming you are in a position to set such a skill, you are missing something important.
Example: Bob goes away for three months, (job, military, family issues, no pc available, ETC), Bob is only able to set a skill for one month with current system. As soon as EVE Mon tells him his skill finished, he logs into account management, and cancels his account. He cannot play, and without a queue running, he has no benefit to his account being active. He can even preset this cancel, by using plex, and letting them run out just after the skill does.

Bob now needs to take an action to restart his account, he has been away a while, and has limited reasons to return. (His chosen skill needed another two months). If he is not back for good, he may choose to play something else, since EVE has been more trouble than he likes to train skills in. Perception is so important...
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#94 - 2012-02-12 18:01:51 UTC
Mag's wrote:
I didn't say you missed it, I said you cherry picked the parts you felt supported your idea and left out the relevant part. You can open that trap and release your fingers now. Blink

Can I point you to post 75, where I mention I re-read that blog to refresh my memory when you first posted this idea. Like I said, even though you're late, welcome to the party.

They took along time to release a queue, because they were worried about balance. Their main concern was time away and how a queue could affect that.
They didn't arrive on 24 hours by simply plucking that figure out the air. They were fully aware of exactly how long the longest skill was to train and decided that only 24 hours was needed on top of that. This kept the time between logging in balanced, but allowed for all those small skills to be added before.

In other words, a balanced mechanic that works as intended and works well. Cool

You are an entertaining fellow.

Ultimately, it must be understood that people logging in to update the queue aren't there to play at that time. This is not to say that people who log in to play won't update the queue, but those logged in wanting to play.
The queue is useful as an aspect that helps neutralize the real life advantage some players have in everyday life. If you have a job, and a family, you cannot log in as often as someone with no such responsibilities.
Players are put off when the playing field is not level. They are paying CCP for an enjoyable playing experience, and if they don't feel they are getting what they paid for, they leave.

24 hours here is relevant ONLY as the time period for one day. Their point, as I thought would have been obvious, was that noone should need to log in more often than once a day. They also learned the hard way people forced to log in for skills, would often ONLY log in for skills.
They had players logged in, flying in straight lines, or in orbit in high sec, assuming they weren't docked in stations. They were heavily AFK, and were online because they were waiting for the skill completed notifications, so they could start the next one training. The server was cluttered with players who had no interest in playing, but were doing something else while setting short skills.

It was not helping that people who actually did want to play, were often ignored by these AFK skillers. It can be very frustrating to look for groups when noone responds.

How do you get the AFK clutter off the server, which was mostly caused by smaller skills needing to be shuffled, and at the same time acknowledge they wanted to keep players who could not log in more than once a day?
Give them a queue, make it at least 24 hours long, (assuming they could log in at the same time most days), and they would also not clutter the servers with people who seemed antisocial in a MMO that encouraged group cooperation.

In other words, the queue also helped get the non players offline. People logging in would be there to play more often, and would find the other people online actually responded more often.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#95 - 2012-02-12 19:24:59 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Ultimately, it must be understood that people logging in to update the queue aren't there to play at that time. This is not to say that people who log in to play won't update the queue, but those logged in wanting to play.
The queue is useful as an aspect that helps neutralize the real life advantage some players have in everyday life. If you have a job, and a family, you cannot log in as often as someone with no such responsibilities.
Players are put off when the playing field is not level. They are paying CCP for an enjoyable playing experience, and if they don't feel they are getting what they paid for, they leave.
I have a wife and three children and the queue works perfectly for me. Blink

What is not a level playing field here? I assume you're still talking about the queue, even though that statement is an odd one to make in that regard.

People come and go. I've never in all my time here, seen anyone site the queue as a reason for leaving.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
24 hours here is relevant ONLY as the time period for one day. Their point, as I thought would have been obvious, was that noone should need to log in more often than once a day. They also learned the hard way people forced to log in for skills, would often ONLY log in for skills.
Yes it allows you to log in anytime within that period of 24 hours, to change or add a skill. But it also allows to to extend way past that 24 hours, with a longer skill. It was added to allow you to add all the small skills, because they realized people had lives outside of the game. It does this very well and still remains balanced.

No one forced anyone. Even back before the queue, you could set a longer skill to run whilst off-line.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
....Stuff about AFKing......

In other words, the queue also helped get the non players offline. People logging in would be there to play more often, and would find the other people online actually responded more often.
Now that was entertaining. Completely irrelevant and conjecture at best, but still very entertaining. (I'll say conjecture, although it's actually closer to fiction.)

Velicitia
XS Tech
#96 - 2012-02-12 19:35:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

The two day rookie should either be using the tutorial, or being guided by a more experienced player. In the case of the experienced player, it is likely someone they know, possibly who recruited them to the game.

You are pointing to what should be a narrow and limited group of players, who elect to ignore instructions and recommended teaching guides. Noone can predict how they will react to anything, much less design game systems to avoid giving them a boring experience. You have to be able to predict actions to some degree in order to plan for them.

this demographic is getting bigger and bigger though...

Nikk Narrel wrote:

And as for setting three months of skills being bad, assuming you are in a position to set such a skill, you are missing something important.
Example: Bob goes away for three months, (job, military, family issues, no pc available, ETC), Bob is only able to set a skill for one month with current system. As soon as EVE Mon tells him his skill finished, he logs into account management, and cancels his account. He cannot play, and without a queue running, he has no benefit to his account being active. He can even preset this cancel, by using plex, and letting them run out just after the skill does.

Bob now needs to take an action to restart his account, he has been away a while, and has limited reasons to return. (His chosen skill needed another two months). If he is not back for good, he may choose to play something else, since EVE has been more trouble than he likes to train skills in. Perception is so important...

I've personally had more than one absence of 3+ months (longest was 8-9 mos). You know what happens ... I see an ad for the game, or get a "hey come back" email, or run into one of my friends who plays ... and get sucked back in...

In the current system, Bob can set a skill for as long as it will take to train... be it one or three months (assuming a single skill).
Job/Military -> yeah, that is unfortunate ... though I don't see why "job" wouldn't also include "laptop to play EVE on" in one's carry-on (because, well, "hotel room" is boring; and company might be upset at going out drinking every night...).
Family issues --> depends here on the nature of the issue.
RL ISK --> I've been in corps where we've floated someone the ISK for a PLEX or two if things went south in RL (e.g. layoff, etc).
no PC --> well, EVEMon isn't gonna be telling him about the completion now, is it? Cool

and then there's always "bum 30s of internets from a RL friend who plays to log in and set the skill"...

Nikk Narrel wrote:

funny, because there was no crazy drop in the PCU count because "people were only AFKing to be able to set skills" after the queue was introduced... and with the exception of fresh-out-of-the-academy rookies, most players won't have very much in the way of queued short skills anyway (sans something like 2-3 days when moving from "all gallente" to "gallente + minnie" or equivalent.)

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#97 - 2012-02-12 23:49:46 UTC
Why are you guys trying so hard to shoot this idea down?

It isn't my idea, and it isn't the particular way I'd choose to set things up, but you are coming across as petty and narrow minded.

"This is the way it is, and it works OK for US, so where do you get off suggesting that it might need to be changed?!"

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#98 - 2012-02-13 00:02:57 UTC
You seem to be forgetting that the 24h queue isn't "You can only train 24h of skills before you have to log in again", it's "You can log on any time starting 24h before your skill ends to toss another skill on".

The point of the queue isn't to make sure you're constantly training 24/7/365, the point of the queue is to give you some flexibility in when you need to log in to start the next skill.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#99 - 2012-02-13 01:14:36 UTC
When training time is hard-coded to real time you are paying for your training time in a rather concrete sense.

This would be why people would set alarms to get up at 3AM to put a new skill in training before the queue.

The 24 hour queue does at least make keeping your skill queue active 24/7 less unhealthy than it was before, but that doesn't mean it is ideal.

You didn't really answer though, why does any suggestion to reduce the player commitment to training draw such actively hostile responses? You'd think by the tone of the reactions somebody was suggesting taking the shield resistance bonus off Drakes, but no matter how I look at the numbers I just can't see even the more extreme changes to training that have been proposed lately making any significant change to game balance.

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#100 - 2012-02-13 01:41:36 UTC
Actually, the responses have been fairly level, not hostile. The reason you do see hostile responses sometimes, however, is because there are tons of people who post threads who just want what they want and don't really care about Eve itself. After a couple dozen "I have the fix for ____" threads by people who clearly don't actually understand much about Eve at all, people tend to get a bit fed up with it.

In specific, there are a lot of threads about skill training from people who just want training to be easier when the system works perfectly as-is; it gets old fast.