These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Generic Skill (revision 15)

Author
Griptus
Doomheim
#41 - 2012-02-09 16:09:49 UTC
XXSketchxx wrote:

Biomass your character(s).

I have. Many times.
XXSketchxx
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#42 - 2012-02-09 16:10:49 UTC
Biomass this one and save us from your terrible ideas/posting.
Callic Veratar
#43 - 2012-02-09 17:14:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Callic Veratar
Griptus wrote:
Callic Veratar wrote:

Rather than stockpiling forever with minimal consequence, any and ALL unspent points are lost upon being podded.

Imagine that then. You've spent a long time saving up points on a special character. You almost have enough to get that last level 5 you need to fly that awesome ship or fit that t2 gang link, and then somebody comes along and blows it all away. Would you really call it fair? I wouldn't. (...rage quit!) No, I'd rather just lose the usual amount if we die without a clone or it's insufficient. Otherwise they should be fully covered.

Then don't stockpile. Spend the points on a skill before you have enough to complete it or train it directly. If you know what you want to train, why are you wasting your time with a generic skill? The advantage of flexible skill points that mean you don't need to decide now is offset by the fact that if you don't decide now, you might not get to decide at all. It gets into the state where, in a blind panic upon losing a ship, you may be forced to dump your loose SP in to the first skill you can click on, but it adds RISK.

The point of training one attribute at a time is to reduce complexity in the idea. With 5 generic skills, you can pop one in your queue with the current setup and the points go directly to a bank. With a mixable system you either need 20 skills or a new gui system to allow you to set primary and secondary attributes which may or may not work with the queue. My modification to your idea is as an addition to the current system, not a replacement.

I agree on later reading, that having a reduced training speed for having too many is too much of a penalty and would like to retract the idea.
Griptus
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-02-09 21:16:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Griptus
Callic Veratar wrote:

Griptus wrote:

Callic Veratar wrote:

Rather than stockpiling forever with minimal consequence, any and ALL unspent points are lost upon being podded.

I'd rather just lose the usual amount if we die without a clone or it's insufficient. Otherwise they should be fully covered.

Then don't stockpile. Spend the points now or you might not get to decide at all.

Then what's the point of having a clone? It would be most regressive to young characters who most often lose at pvp, suicide gank, and unexpected high sec gate camps under war decs. The generic skill is meant to reduce grief, not make it worse.

Callic Veratar wrote:

The point of training one attribute at a time is to reduce complexity in the idea. With 5 generic skills, you can pop one in your queue with the current setup and the points go directly to a bank. With a mixable system you either need 20 skills or a new gui system to allow you to set primary and secondary attributes which may or may not work with the queue. My modification to your idea is as an addition to the current system, not a replacement.

There would only be one generic skill per character.
Katalci
Kismesis
#45 - 2012-02-10 02:24:09 UTC
Make it use the lowest attribute only, and then you have a decent idea.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#46 - 2012-02-10 08:44:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Griptus wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Griptus wrote:

There will always be consequences no matter what you do.

Yes, but your idea removes great swathes of them, leaving no real consequences to speak of.

What and how? Be more specific.
I already was specific and you said it was unfair. You then proceeded to tell me I'm against because: "Still you complain and exaggerate because you don't want to admit that you prefer that other characters be allowed to fall behind as it puts you ahead."
You really have no idea about even the basics of skill points, for if you did, you wouldn't have said such a ridiculous thing.

Your idea is neither balanced, fair or sound and you've yet to prove otherwise. Simply saying it, doesn't make it so.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#47 - 2012-02-10 08:52:41 UTC
I like the way the OP is "liking" every post in this thread to give the impression that his awful thread is popular. Unfortunately, the disguise rather falls apart upon opening the thread...
Callic Veratar
#48 - 2012-02-10 13:56:33 UTC
Griptus wrote:
Then what's the point of having a clone? It would be most regressive to young characters who most often lose at pvp, suicide gank, and unexpected high sec gate camps under war decs. The generic skill is meant to reduce grief, not make it worse.

The point of a clone is the same as the point of a clone now: To prevent the loss of trained skills. The only difference you've offered in your proposal is to add an extra step in training any skills, in that you allocate the points after you have enough, instead of as you earn them. I'd much rather see a hybrid system than one or the other.

On a side note, I'd like to see the removal of clones completely, as they add an unnecessary tax that doesn't really deliver anything useful.
Griptus
Doomheim
#49 - 2012-02-10 14:56:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Griptus
A long time ago, someone at CCP decided that skill points should be subject to loss when a character dies. I think it was a bad idea because it discourages combat. But they at least had the good sense to give us clones so we have a way of saving our skill points and to limit the loss otherwise.

To be consistent with the original intent of the clone system, unallocated skill points shouldn't be subject to loss if they can't be saved by clones. And if clones are ever removed from the game, which is way beyond the scope of my proposal, then none of our skills points should be subject to loss. I'd prefer it that way because it encourages combat.

It's bad enough that 80% of players never leave high sec. Your idea would not only discourage combat further, it would force everyone to stay docked. You and your friends could simply camp the stations and suicide gank anyone who comes out, preventing them from progressing. That would effectively end the game for everyone, including CCP.
SGT FUNYOUN
Elysian Space Navy - 1st Fleet
#50 - 2012-02-10 19:30:12 UTC  |  Edited by: SGT FUNYOUN
Better idea.

Extend the training queue to fit up to 2 more skills (no matter how long they will take) beyond the end of the last skill in the queue. A rolling end time of sorts.

IOW, skill 1 takes 23 days to complete. That is the current end of your skill queue.

Now add my idea.

Add the two skills that come after the skill you are training as a prereqisite to them, and the end of THAT will be the end of the queue whenever it ends.

So say you have to train up two prerequisites for one skill, you can schedule them both in front of the goal skill, and viola...

nice long skill queue that you don't have to touch again for at least a month.

"Problem" solved.
Griptus
Doomheim
#51 - 2012-02-11 03:29:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Griptus
I think I ranted too much about the skill queue in my OP.

The fundamental problem is that all skill training eventually ends thereby creating the potential for loss of skill points. The problem can never be properly addressed by tweaking the skill queue, even if it were extended indefinitely.
Velarra
#52 - 2012-02-11 04:15:40 UTC
Griptus wrote:

The fundamental problem is that all skill training eventually ends thereby creating the potential for loss of skill points. The problem can never be properly addressed by tweaking the skill queue, even if it were extended indefinitely.

Suggestion: train as things are currently.

Should RL get in the way, make it a habit to have 25, 30, 40+ day skills available to switch into.

Yes, it does require the ability to log in once to make the switch, but otherwise it's one way to adapt to the current training challenges as they exist. No need for serious changes to any of he skill training mechanisms.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#53 - 2012-02-11 04:49:50 UTC
Griptus wrote:
The fundamental problem is that all skill training eventually ends thereby creating the potential for loss of skill points.

This isn't a 'problem' though, it's a feature. There's always a potential for missed skill points (not lost, because you never had them to begin with). Whenever you're not training skills, you're getting less SP than you could have, but you're also getting less SP than you could have if you are using anything other than a fully speced skill map with +5s in the relevant attributes.

Part of the core of Eve is the decisions behind the skills you train and how you train them. Do I train X skill now with a good mapping or do I train Y because I need it more, despite having a bad attribute map? (something I made a decision about just this week personally). Do I use a set of +5s for maximum training or do I use +3/4s because they're cheaper and I can afford to replace them? Do I log in now to add another skill to the queue or do I blow it off because I don't feel like it?

Actions have consequences in Eve, this is by design.
Velarra
#54 - 2012-02-11 06:29:57 UTC
About the only positive thought that comes to mind reading this current thread/idea would be something along the lines of a "hit by a bus" preselected (player chosen, say freighter V or what have you) skill that only kicks in once a year, under condition of no other skill training, where a short skill has just completed.. on characters with a minimum of 9-12 months of age or older.

Where you choose a LONG skill that kicks in should you not be able to cue up your current skills as per normal play.

The issue is that natural disasters DO happen. People do get hit by buses. It's not always easy to go in and switch skills to a 40 day skill when your town is flooded....

This idea here probably would need an awful lot of pre-nerfing & consideration. But it's about as far as i'd go. Otherwise, keep long skills available for those planned 2week vacations and 3 week trips.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#55 - 2012-02-11 14:02:55 UTC
Griptus wrote:

Your idea makes the queue obsolete and removes any balance in that regard.

The fundamental problem is, your idea removes consequences and the difficult decisions we have to make now.
The fact that you cannot address that point to any degree, speaks volumes.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#56 - 2012-02-11 15:44:11 UTC
Mag's wrote:
... the difficult decisions we have to make now.

spend 30s setting skill ... or... immediately log and come to bed when [partner|wife|gf] is in something revealing

decisions, decisions... Cool

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Griptus
Doomheim
#57 - 2012-02-11 15:45:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Griptus
Mag's wrote:

Your idea makes the queue obsolete...

Which means it's a better idea. Thank you.

Mag's wrote:

and removes any balance in that regard.

Who does it favor, or disfavor?

Mag's wrote:

Your idea removes consequences and the difficult decisions we have to make now. The fact that you cannot address that point to any degree, speaks volumes.

It doesn't matter when you make your skill training decisions, they always have consequences.

You've made these logically erroneous arguments many times only to reject my superior wisdom and guidance. Give yourself all the time you need, it should sink in eventually.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#58 - 2012-02-11 15:59:05 UTC
Griptus wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Your idea makes the queue obsolete...

Which means it's a better idea. Thank you.

Not necessarily. The queue is working as intended in this regard, and shouldn't be removed (pre-queue days of planning around "work", "sleep", "school" and "downtime" were a pain).

Griptus wrote:
Mag's wrote:

and removes any balance in that regard.

Then who does it favor, or disfavor?

"Balance" in the regard of "not forcing people to log in every day for 6 hours" (e.g. a traditional MMO) and "we still want you to log in semi-regularly". If you could set and forget 3 or 4 months of skills and not log in, what's there to keep you around?

Griptus wrote:

You made this logically erroneous argument before.

It doesn't matter when you make your skill training decisions, they always have consequences.

removing the decision of "log in and set a skill" vs. "meh, that 3k SP isn't worth it" is what Mag's is talking about ... not "should I train Battleship 5 (which I don't want) instead of $SKILL" (I think)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Griptus
Doomheim
#59 - 2012-02-11 16:22:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Griptus
mxzf wrote:

This isn't a 'problem' though, it's a feature. There's always a potential for missed skill points (not lost, because you never had them to begin with). Whenever you're not training skills, you're getting less SP than you could have, but you're also getting less SP than you could have if you are using anything other than a fully speced skill map with +5s in the relevant attributes.

Losing SP is not a feature, it's a flaw. Missing something is the same as losing it. You miss/lose what you would otherwise have. When you're not training a skill, you're getting zero SP, which is infinitely less than even 1 SP.

mxzf wrote:

Part of the core of Eve is the decisions behind the skills you train and how you train them. Do I train X skill now with a good mapping or do I train Y because I need it more, despite having a bad attribute map? (something I made a decision about just this week personally). Do I use a set of +5s for maximum training or do I use +3/4s because they're cheaper and I can afford to replace them? Do I log in now to add another skill to the queue or do I blow it off because I don't feel like it?

Actions have consequences in Eve, this is by design.

Of course it changes the factors that you base you decisions on, that's unavoidable. But it doesn't eliminate the need to make decisions, if that's your impression.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#60 - 2012-02-11 16:28:46 UTC
Griptus wrote:
mxzf wrote:

Losing SP is not a feature, it's a flaw. Missing something is the same as losing it. You miss/lose what you would otherwise have. When you're not training a skill, you're getting zero SP, which is infinitely less than even 1 SP.

actually, it's only 1 less Blink