These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Add a translation matrix to Eve's servers

Author
Acac Sunflyier
The Ascended Academy
#1 - 2012-02-10 23:27:35 UTC
I don't see Eve doesn't already translate other languages already. We have Russians, Germans, French, Brits, Americans, Mexicans, Spaniards, an I'd bet Portuguese, and more playing Eve. Wouldn't it make sense to have Eve translate the languages? CCP has put lots of work into localizing the client, why not take it to the next step? Google Translate has done all the hard work. It'd just be a matter of figuring out how to legally obtain it, having a good sized database to store everything, and translating all inputs to their correct language based on what client is running. So if a russian puts russian in, and a french is watching, a french sees french.
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#2 - 2012-02-10 23:46:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Nestara Aldent
Acac Sunflyier wrote:
I don't see Eve doesn't already translate other languages already. We have Russians, Germans, French, Brits, Americans, Mexicans, Spaniards, an I'd bet Portuguese, and more playing Eve. Wouldn't it make sense to have Eve translate the languages? CCP has put lots of work into localizing the client, why not take it to the next step? Google Translate has done all the hard work. It'd just be a matter of figuring out how to legally obtain it, having a good sized database to store everything, and translating all inputs to their correct language based on what client is running. So if a russian puts russian in, and a french is watching, a french sees french.

Have you used Google Translate and similar for translating any text of moderate complexity, and not just the most basic phrases? Machine translation is useless, and even Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, with vast resources at their disposal, aren't capable to make it dependable and high quality. How do you think CCP is able to do that and beat Google, Microsoft and Yahoo at their own game?

And you aren't the first proposing this.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-02-11 01:58:50 UTC
What Nestra said.

Also, do you actually know another language? The syntax and subtext of different languages (especially with different roots) is vastly different. And that's even before you try and take in-game slang into account.

It just isn't that easy.
Acac Sunflyier
The Ascended Academy
#4 - 2012-02-11 03:23:19 UTC
mxzf wrote:
What Nestra said.

Also, do you actually know another language? The syntax and subtext of different languages (especially with different roots) is vastly different. And that's even before you try and take in-game slang into account.

It just isn't that easy.

I know a good bit of Spanish and German. Granted, they all stem fro Latin. The fact remains that it wouldn't be that bad of a translate. Let me ask you, if you were speaking to a russian or a japanese player, and didn't know their language, don't you just consult Google translate? It isn't always perfect but it's pretty easy to get the gist of the lines. I think it'd be worth the effort with the fact that we have lots of diplomacy, international alliances (not always a good idea but still happens, cross language business deals being negotiated, and many other cross language ideas needing to be shared. CCP has gone through lots of effort to make Eve readable by everybody. It wouldn't that much of a stretch to add some translation to it.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#5 - 2012-02-11 03:55:59 UTC
But if CCP implements it, they become responsible for any translations (or mis-translations) that happen from it. As-is, it's much less work for CCP (I think you're still underestimating the difficulty), less liability for them, and really not that hard for players to open up a browser window (provided by CCP) and just use Google Translate.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I just don't see it happening.
Sephiroth Clone VII
Brothers of Tyr
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-02-11 04:40:00 UTC
Have you ever read engrish from a non-native English speaker.

That's basically them using google translate to english, them getting goggle translation into their own language is likely what it will be like reading goggle translate stuff into their own language.