These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

[Proposal] Remove Self-Destruct while engaged in combat

Author
Zelle MacLeod
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-02-10 12:38:21 UTC
Remove the option to self-destruct while engaged in combat.

- as a member of small pvp corporation, the tactics and effort we employ to tackle a capital ship in a small fleet is hugely diminished when the hostile capital pilot simply 'self-destructs' just to deny a killmail or perhaps save himself corp embarrassment.

Steelrattty
Broski North
#2 - 2012-02-10 12:40:26 UTC
Agreed. Almost every supercap kill ive been involved in was a self destruct also.
Copter Pilot
SkREW CREW
#3 - 2012-02-10 12:49:29 UTC
Yes, agreed.

Why should someone be able to deny an enemy a kill just because he has more EHP and can survive the 'self-destruct' countdown. This definitely needs fixing.

CMS, we're counting on you to save small gang PVP. This is an easy fix and a step in the right direction.

Thanks
Revresbo Drawrof
Ny Sar
Snuggly Wormhole People
#4 - 2012-02-10 12:54:32 UTC
I like this idea. Don't let the big boys have an easy out. At least make the self-destruct while agressed a 30 minute timer. Anything but an easy out. Give the small guys a chance to fill their killboards....they have earned it.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

do this please.
Alavetni
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-02-10 13:02:31 UTC
No idea why self-destruct was put in the game in the first place, as it serves no other purpose than to deny killmails or loot which depends on the loot fairy.
Jason Edwards
Internet Tough Guy
#6 - 2012-02-10 13:06:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jason Edwards
What eve could have is a subsystem targetting system; be able to destroy such subsystems as:

Jumpdrives, Self-destructs, Overheating, Sub-warp Engines, Warp Engines, Weapon mounts, POS shield password stuff, Drones bandwidth.

Then the only way to repair these would be hull reppers and RR hull heppers.

"He commenced self-destruct. every refocus and shoot his self-destruct." Stuff like weapon mounts ought to be very hard to take out but jumpdrives should be so fragile that they fall apart near instantly.
Ricarda Esubria
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-02-10 13:14:01 UTC
I do not like all the self-destruct stuff going on either, so I am supporting this plea.
Dior Saursi
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-02-10 13:37:12 UTC
Agreed. At the very least self destructs should still generate killmails for those who are attacking the ship.
Engrail
Agony Leashed
#9 - 2012-02-10 13:40:10 UTC
I'll chime in with support for this. There shouldn't be a way for capital ships to escape getting a bad killmail. Agression mechanics and logoff timers were fixed, this should be fixed as well.
Reiisan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-02-10 14:11:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Reiisan
I think it should still be an option - but should still generate a KM
Miss Granger
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-02-10 14:13:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Miss Granger
Reiisan wrote:
I think it should still be an option - but should still generate a KM

Yep - and the KM should go to the highest non-NPC damage dealer at the time of destruction.

Not that bothered about loot, though I suppose having the chance of survival slightly lower for a self-destruct makes sense in a way.
Theronth Valarax
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#12 - 2012-02-10 14:15:15 UTC
WHY OUR 4 MANTICORES COULDNT BREAK CARRIER AND HE GOES BOOM, PETITION FIX IT CSM HEAR ME WHITE TREE?
The Darker
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2012-02-10 14:40:43 UTC
agree!
Davader
Space Cleaners
The Gorgon Empire
#14 - 2012-02-10 14:42:52 UTC
Either that, either the KM should have come after SD (final blow may belong to the victim or to whom inflicted last hit).
Othran
Route One
#15 - 2012-02-10 15:48:24 UTC
Either remove the option to self-destruct or generate a killmail regardless of whether its a self-destruct or not. Highest damage from a player on-grid gets the killmail.

I can see an argument for denying people loot by self-destructing but it shouldn't be a way to protect your killboard.
reaver2145
Satanic Lobster Buttplug With Hidden Unicorn.
#16 - 2012-02-10 16:04:42 UTC
Bring more dps and nutes or cry some more for your deficiencies
Lownah
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-02-10 16:35:53 UTC
self destructing is a valid game mechanic that has its place in the game. I disagree with all these people calling for the total removal of the self destruct option. However, a killmail should be generated.
Yanky Wanky
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-02-10 16:55:56 UTC
reaver2145 wrote:
Bring more dps and nutes or cry some more for your deficiencies

aww, sounds like you're the one crying. Seriously, how about some constructive comments instead of this childish post.

I think the whole point of this thread was to get a killmail for small gangs that are incapable of brining 'more dps and nutes'. To have a ship tackled, in particular a capital ship, with hard work, not a blob fight. In the scenario described above, the capital pilot is losing his ship one way or another so how about at a minimum generating a killmail for those responsible so they can decorate their board and show some accomplishment.

Lownah wrote:
self destructing is a valid game mechanic that has its place in the game. I disagree with all these people calling for the total removal of the self destruct option. However, a killmail should be generated.

Yes, obviously there is purpose for self-destruct.

Agree with you in generating a killmail for those self-destructs during a fight.

SpaceChief
Bros Before Holes
#19 - 2012-02-10 17:27:16 UTC
100% agreed..
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Reloaded
#20 - 2012-02-10 17:29:23 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Self destruct should:

-Destroy all cargo and modules, denying the aggressor loot.
-Generate a combat log entry, the same as a Concord kill.
-Not pay insurance, or at least reduce insurance payout by 50%.

That way victims can still thumb their noses if someone fails to bring the firepower to get loot out of their freighter, but the aggressors get the killmail so they can prove they got the kill.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

123Next page