These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Eve website front page - here to stay?

Author
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2012-02-07 15:57:48 UTC
Change is good...

Loosing basic funtionality for it is bad (<- this is the one I have a problem with)

Just to clarify again

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#22 - 2012-02-07 15:58:31 UTC
I love it. As an EVE player I don't go through a chain of buttons to get to where I want to go anyways... I've long since made bookmarks to what I use most. Forums, Mail, Account Management.

The front page is gorgeous, which is good for new players and friends who you want to show EVE to. This game needs more new blood, and the new website should help.

It's better than the eveisreal website ever was though. This one is cleaner, smoother, and doesn't lag up your browser.

Katrina Oniseki

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2012-02-07 16:11:03 UTC
Before:
1. load eveonline.com
2. load devblog page

Now:
1. load eveonline.com
2. load community.eveonline.com
3. load devblog page

It is not about hating the change. It is about pushing bling over usability. This is just as bad design as the new neocom, where simple and working functionality and features were removed to make it look more pretty and have more "cool" menus.

Neither is working well any more.

...and as I know that some will soonTM say "bookmark to community.eveonline.com and live with it" I have to ask question - should I bookmark to support. account management and forums as well? Like to have eve-online compatible browser configuration you would need 8 bookmarks in links bar.... right?

Front page of websites should tie the site together, not provide only some graphical presentation for possible new customer with few $ to spare. You could have some nice attractive advertisement for them to click which would forward them to page like that.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#24 - 2012-02-07 16:13:29 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
Before:
1. load eveonline.com
2. load devblog page

Now:
1. load eveonline.com
3. load devblog page

It is not about hating the change. It is about pushing bling over usability. This is just as bad design as the new neocom, where simple and working functionality and features were removed to make it look more pretty and have more "cool" menus.

...and as I know that some will soonTM say "bookmark to community.eveonline.com and live with it" I have to ask question - should I bookmark to support. account management and forums as well? Like to have eve-online compatible browser configuration you would need 8 bookmarks in links bar.... right?

Front page of websites should tie the site together, not provide only some graphical presentation for possible new customer with few $ to spare. You could have some nice attractive advertisement for them to click which would forward them to page like that.

You're playing EVE and complaining about having to go through several steps to do something common?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you... but you'd think we EVE players would be accustomed to a bit of complexity and tedious effort.

Katrina Oniseki

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#25 - 2012-02-07 16:13:49 UTC
Well the web team got it done maybe they can now work on the feedback

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Rixiu
PonyTek
#26 - 2012-02-07 16:14:02 UTC
Muad 'dib wrote:
Change is good...

Loosing basic funtionality for it is bad (<- this is the one I have a problem with)

Just to clarify again

Might want to "clarify" what "basic functionality" is lost. Pro-tip.
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2012-02-07 16:15:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
Rixiu wrote:
Muad 'dib wrote:
Change is good...

Just to clarify again

the functionality is loose, not lost. after some tightening the new website will be just fine.

l2read
Simca Develon
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-02-07 16:16:59 UTC
Samantha Utama wrote:
You people will ***** about pretty much anything, won't you. The front page looks great. Deal with it. Cool

I agree. The new site looks good. It will hopefully help get new people interested in EVE which is something we need. Personally I love the changes.

Je suis le commencement de votre fin.

Le diable prend soin de son proper.

Gordon Fell
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-02-07 16:18:02 UTC
Rixiu wrote:
Muad 'dib wrote:
Change is good...

Just to clarify again

That'd be navigating between the dozens of subdomains eveonline.com now is. Neither is awesome, but basic usability testing (e.g. with any basic use case) would've easily shown the gist of it. Hell, most decent webdesigners would've been able to point it out in advance.
Razin
The Scope
#30 - 2012-02-07 16:18:32 UTC
And still no links to any of that from the forums page. Genius.

('cept for going through the old forum archive)
Lord Meriak
State Naval Academy
#31 - 2012-02-07 16:20:01 UTC
dam slow Evil
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#32 - 2012-02-07 16:20:05 UTC
eveonline.com isn't meant for the current players. That's for the new guys. community.eveonline.com is what current players aught to use.

I like it.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#33 - 2012-02-07 16:21:02 UTC
Razin wrote:

This is true. Once you're in "EVE GATE" you're stuck. That's pretty ghey.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#34 - 2012-02-07 16:22:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Wacktopia
Muad 'dib wrote:
PS looks like some fail first person mmorpg shooter landing page, way to loose your thing eve

What? How does the massive picture of space with Tornados flying about a planet look like a FPS?

The new landing page is good - it's a 100 times better than the old 90's style page with loads of text and one simple flash thing at the top.

Remember the new page is the first thing new players will see and should be aimed that them.

I do have one gripe that other people share it seems; EVE-Gate needs to have some kind of menu system to get back to the other websites (Community etc).

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Razin
The Scope
#35 - 2012-02-07 16:24:41 UTC
Famble wrote:
Razin wrote:

Just realized you can also go through the "Dev Blogs" link in the top nav bar. Still, I guess direct links to stuff like the home page, or account management, or bug reporting, etc. is somehow illegal in Iceland?
Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#36 - 2012-02-07 16:26:52 UTC
Can i have old pages back.

I know that these might look better for new customers, but usability sucks badly.

terrible.

CCP really tries to get rid of me with their awesome ideas.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#37 - 2012-02-07 16:40:22 UTC
CCP powers that be.

Please.

Identify who dreamed up the new front end to the web site.
Fire them, today.
Identify who approved this mess.
Fire them, today.
Zag'mar Jurkar
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2012-02-07 17:12:42 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
Before:
1. load eveonline.com
2. load devblog page

Now:
1. load eveonline.com
3. load devblog page

Yes, you should have multiple bookmarks if you want quick access to things.

Just right click at the top, add a folder named EVE and put EVE Bookmarks in there, and enjoy !
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#39 - 2012-02-07 17:27:27 UTC
Razin wrote:
Famble wrote:
Razin wrote:

Just realized you can also go through the "Dev Blogs" link in the top nav bar. Still, I guess direct links to stuff like the home page, or account management, or bug reporting, etc. is somehow illegal in Iceland?

Yea I noticed too shortly after I posted. You're probably right, Icelandic web law for sure.

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#40 - 2012-02-07 17:29:17 UTC
This just in. People hate change.

Previous page123Next page