These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVEs naked Emperor.

First post
Author
Ai Shun
#21 - 2012-02-04 23:17:15 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
THIS GAME KILLS ITSELF.

Except for those that embrace the concept. Remember, this is a boutique MMO. It is not meant to be mainstream and it will never aspire to be that. This game has a specific focus and will attract a specific type of gamer. The faster a player trying the game out learns what EVE is like, the better for them and for the EVE community as a whole.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#22 - 2012-02-05 01:16:22 UTC
OP...

1) almost every game that isn't an FPS is the same way if you break it down to its simplest form.

2) that is the nature of people... though for the record I've only once been attacked on gates and many times everywhere else. So for me, only about 2% of combat has occurred on gates.
Nex apparatu5
Blackwood Co.
#23 - 2012-02-05 01:49:30 UTC
Eve is a terrible game. It's the stuff you can do despite the gameplay, not the gameplay, that makes Eve awesome.
Paeniteo
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2012-02-05 02:05:45 UTC
We've created our own savage little island and we are its cannibal inhabitants. We relish the drama, escalate the wars and drink down the tears. Our self destructive nature is precisely what keeps EVE alive. It is the only thing that is truly exciting about New Eden. The idea that this needs to be changed because it pushes a lot of people away is MMO suicide.

Humidor Cigarillo
#25 - 2012-02-05 02:34:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Humidor Cigarillo
IDGI.

You're asserting that gameplay is bad because it involves mouse clicks and relatively few hotkeys? Remind me again of the wildly successful mmo where that wasn't the case. I'll wait.

In case this is just a veiled whine about being forced to camp gates or people camping said gates, you can always go to nullsec like a big boy and anchor some not-on-gate-pvp-inducing bubbles or proactively scan for your targets anywhere you want.

Sounds to me like you thirst for twitch gameplay that rewards reaction time and having loads of key binds. Might I recommend some FPS titles to you?
Umega
Solis Mensa
#26 - 2012-02-05 03:29:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Umega
Got to love how people speak for a sigment of society, using their own personal experinces as justification in being aloud to claim a 'majority of :insert stereotype here:' and speak for others without permission..

I can do it too I suppose..

The majority of EVE posters don't like it when Ghoest makes yet another attempt at trying to be controversial on a subject that's already got threads of its own, and the majority of EVE readers wishes he was banned from being aloud to create anymore threads on the forums so that we are not subjected to his meager attempts at being witty.

Oh and in Ghoest form.. I'm right cause I wrote it down and said so. Na-na Na-na Boo-boo

And before you try, Ghoest..

:Insert one sentence reply that has no substance other than the belief I can read minds and dictate people's intentions with my jedi mind trick response: Beat ya too it!
ASadOldGit
School of Applied Knowledge
#27 - 2012-02-05 04:03:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ASadOldGit
The Apostle wrote:

I've likened Eve fleet combat to teaching a class of oldies how to use the internets.

Teacher> Click your mouse on the little square while holding the Ctrl-key.
Teacher> Now take your cursor to the bottom of the screen and click the little circle, that's it, the one with the picture on it.
Teacher> Very good. Now click another little square and repeat the process.
Student> That little square dissappeared - where did it go?
Teacher> So click a different square. The one flashing.
Student> I don't understand
Teacher> Click the ******* SQUARE YOU ******* MORON STUPID DUMB ****!

So, did you pass your internet class? P

This signature intentionally left blank for you to fill in at your leisure.

Amon Tyr
#28 - 2012-02-05 04:32:35 UTC
I do wish Eve had more engaging combat mechanics, or at least the option for being able to manually cruise your ship and shoot stuff FPS style.
Ghoest
#29 - 2012-02-05 13:05:31 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Ghoest wrote:

EVES GAME PLAY IS HORRIBLE.

BUT...the mechanic behind it is BRILLIANT. I will stand behind that despite all.

If you are referring to the sandbox and loss elements then yes I agree.

Nex apparatu5 wrote:
It's the stuff you can do despite the gameplay, not the gameplay, that makes Eve awesome.

I think I would change that from "awesome" to "the best game available."

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2012-02-05 13:43:01 UTC
Actually EVEs Naked Emperor

http://gd.klaki.net/0aa3f4446edc1d98ef6caf50ff12719a/DSCN0205.jpg

(sorry, good discussion here, please continue)

CCP Nullarbor // Senior Engineer // Team Game of Drones

Willl Adama
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-02-05 13:48:48 UTC
mby u should stop gatecamping m8

Hi

Andrea Griffin
#32 - 2012-02-05 13:54:30 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:

Hot! Single? : >
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#33 - 2012-02-05 14:04:47 UTC
What you say is accurate as long as you differentiate between 'ganks' and 'fights'. The more people you have in a gang the more dumbed down the gameplay for the individual .. CCPs challenge is to make changes that discourage "oversize everything!" (ships/buffers/gangs/epeens) to ensure success in any venture.

The pre-planned module sequence you mention is barely noticeable in the small gang/solo fights as cap/ammo/vectors/heat/etc. all have to be adjusted on the fly to ensure success .. I say barely noticeable as it is still there, you generally want point before web (too many accidental insta-warps Blink), guns need priming etcetera but it is what people do after that first "cycle" that wins/loses fights.

That difference is why we in FW raged when CCPCSM said they want FW to be null-lite™, as it is currently the only place in Eve where the small is encouraged and thus the only place where one can consistently get to experience a less dumbed down version of Eve gameplay.
Ottersmacker
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#34 - 2012-02-05 14:25:41 UTC
i came expecting empress jamyl with the intention to just write "i came", left disappointed -.-

i just locked an open door.. strange, yet symbolically compelling.

LifeLines
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-02-05 14:42:25 UTC
I love it how all the fanbois mindlessly jump on OP and not even try to refute what he said.

Activating modules and orbiting a target is what you call pvp? xD You guys are in denial. Yes, 90% of EVE's PvP is gatecamping. This system is boring and poorly thought out and I dont know why my sub is still active.. oh yes the industry part of the game. Thats the only thing I enjoy in EVE. EVE is not a PvP game. Its a game designed by carebears for carebears(like me so i cant complain too much i guess). I brought 3 irl friends to EVE and they all quit when they realized that EVE's pvp that looks so great in CCP's movies is simply : 1. press button (F1-F8) 2. wait for outcome.

A complete overhaul to EVE's PVP system is long overdue. Its simplicity of "press button; wait for outcome" might have been okay when it was in development 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-02-05 15:05:03 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:

He's the King of Space [echoing] space space space (space space space space.....)
Valei Khurelem
#37 - 2012-02-05 15:16:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Valei Khurelem
Nex apparatu5 wrote:
Eve is a terrible game. It's the stuff you can do despite the gameplay, not the gameplay, that makes Eve awesome.

That's pretty much it, what makes it interesting is the suicide ganking, can flipping, scams, espionage, politics and losses, if EVE just reverted to what every other MMORPG did and CCP cracked down on all this type of thing everyone would be yelling about how much it sucks even more than they are now and it would never get voted for on rankings.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Adunh Slavy
#38 - 2012-02-05 15:38:54 UTC
Gates are lame and lead to horribly repetitive game play. it's 2012, it's time to get over these 1990s mechanics.

The most wide open and most dynamic battle field that man could ever imagine, and what do we do in Eve? Sit in a parking lot and wait for a mouse to poke it's head out of a hole so we can whack it. LAME!

There is plenty of chance for large battles (blobs) on Eve, battles at POSes, all the Dominion Sov pieces, stations - The game does not also need a mechanic to force players to the same location, it already has plenty with out gates.

Much of the Null Sec stagnation comes about because of gates. The potential granularity of risk aversion and reward is damaged because of gates and the stark contrast they present to the majority of players. Game play options for smaller groups is reduced.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-02-05 16:43:08 UTC
LifeLines wrote:
Yes, 90% of EVE's PvP is gatecamping.

Dam - no gates in Wormholes...

No wonder it's so empty out here...

and cold...

and lonley...

/scared...

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#40 - 2012-02-05 17:10:00 UTC
Asuri Kinnes wrote:
LifeLines wrote:
Yes, 90% of EVE's PvP is gatecamping.

Dam - no gates in Wormholes...

No wonder it's so empty out here...

and cold...

and lonley...

/scared...

No doubt wh pockets are what all of Eve true 0.0 space should be like.
No local, no Concord, no NPC stations, nothing. You live by your guts and wits.