These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

New players and Null-sec:

Author
Themick Mccoy
#1 - 2012-02-04 16:36:37 UTC
I recently read, though for the life of me I cannot recall where, a quote that said to the effect; "Null-sec needs new blood. The past three years the same people have been fighting each other, just cycled around."What causes this? Why is it that the newer players do not get involved with null-sec?

This morning I got a wild hair up- well, you don't need the details, but suffice it to say, I was bored. I went on an adventure 86 jumps throughout Null/Low-sec. I witnessed good fights, ransoms, evaded gatecamps and bubbles. I met some pilots and bs was shot aplenty. I, in the span of a few hours, witnessed much more exciting things happening than can be said for empire space.This is where the real game was being played and in my opinion, the newer players need to experience this.

I have friends that are fps whores, and tabletop nerds, but when shown The Butterfly Effect trailer, they became interested in EVE. This idea that one can participate in massive conflicts that can see thousands of real people square off in border disputes, villainous raids, or wars of conquest is intriguing. Sov conflict, the idea of it, is what brings new players.

I hardly am influential, but if there were one thing I could charge CSM6 and CSM7 with, it would be to worry about the game's newest generation. Without new players the game will eventually die out.

My new goal is to bubble a super....but who is going to kill it for me?

Cass Lie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-04 16:48:25 UTC
Fun fact: Test and the Goons, which both have (significant) representation in CSM6, are heavily newbie oriented alliances. Also Mittani&co. were actively pushing to improving the new player experience, though it still has plenty of room for improvement. Mittani is even fixated on this weird idea of revamping rookie ships so that they would look cooler from the get go.

If only someone could devise a mechanic which would make the newbies realize that joining a decent corp and losing that risk aversion are good things.
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#3 - 2012-02-04 17:07:41 UTC
The problem there is not with the game mechanics. The problem is the extremely large number of bears that constantly proclaim that living in null sec is impossible and the only way to play the game is to grind the same 10 minutes of PVE content over and over again in the safety net of high sec.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#4 - 2012-02-04 17:29:37 UTC
The vitriol in EVE is what puts the run to most noobs and it's in high sec, low sec and null sec. Its here on the forums, its in local chat its on TS and vent.

Some take thier epeen a little more serious than others but the malice is what makes EVE unattractive.
Themick Mccoy
#5 - 2012-02-04 17:38:01 UTC
I agree with the points you both make, especially Dradius. I am a newer player myself and can honestly state that quite a few people in Empire are veteran carebears that will tell anyone with an open ear about the one time years ago when they got the nutsack to actually try to go to 0.0 and were killed by "those bastards."

Positive propaganda for null-sec is sparse. I think if there wasn't so many bitter tears from people who take make believe spaceships so serious new players wouldn't be so scared.

If they get killed, seeing it as a lesson should be more important than crying about the loss, but for some this proves too much.

Honnete Du Decimer
#6 - 2012-02-04 17:41:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Honnete Du Decimer
"Fun fact" half reason no one go null sec is because no like the people already, who live there.

PMS [:p]

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#7 - 2012-02-04 17:53:29 UTC
You can't be your own boss and live in null. You must corp up and that means you no longer enjoy total freedom. If you're cool with that then there's no reason to not, at the very least, check it out. If you like playing alone, on your own schedule then null will never work for you.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Themick Mccoy
#8 - 2012-02-04 17:56:14 UTC
Famble wrote:
You can't be your own boss and live in null. You must corp up and that means you no longer enjoy total freedom. If you're cool with that then there's no reason to not, at the very least, check it out. If you like playing alone, on your own schedule then null will never work for you.

It would seem to me that EVE is infinitely more difficult solo.

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#9 - 2012-02-04 18:01:09 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:
Famble wrote:

It would seem to me that EVE is infinitely more difficult solo.

It is. There are a plethora of good solo spaceships games for the anti-social. EVE isn't one of them.

Also the anti-null sentiment is en vogue on the forums, don't take it personally. Null is where the game is at, and there are lots of noob friendly options, especially in the CFC.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2012-02-04 18:04:32 UTC
[Rifter, Nubbins]
[empty low slot]
[empty low slot]
[empty low slot]

1MN MicroWarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor I
[empty med slot]

Salvager I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

This nub is now ready for 0.0 life.
Janis Ezra
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#11 - 2012-02-04 18:10:02 UTC
Cass Lie wrote:
Fun fact: Test and the Goons, which both have (significant) representation in CSM6, are heavily newbie oriented alliances.

Fun fact: They are heavy oriented in scamming newbies. Good luck with joining goons or test without getting scammed, or spending endless time on a stupid forum to get invited.
Dont spread false informations in a thread about newbies and null.
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#12 - 2012-02-04 18:25:53 UTC
Janis Ezra wrote:
Cass Lie wrote:
Fun fact: Test and the Goons, which both have (significant) representation in CSM6, are heavily newbie oriented alliances.

Fun fact: They are heavy oriented in scamming newbies. Good luck with joining goons or test without getting scammed, or spending endless time on a stupid forum to get invited.

Goons only scam the idiots who let themselves get scammed.

Honnete Du Decimer
#13 - 2012-02-04 18:29:33 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:
...It would seem to me that EVE is infinitely more difficult solo.

Large high sec alliance many group for

- mining
- mission
- Incursion
- roam Low Sec
- raid WHs.

All time something for do for few hour and no worry CTA. No worry politic. No worry ego rubbish null sec.

Cass Lie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-02-04 18:32:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Cass Lie
Janis Ezra wrote:
Cass Lie wrote:

What do you get out of scamming a newbie? A rifter? They scam dumb established players routinely, because they are too lazy to read up on goonswarm. But they also make large recruitment drives in their respective out of game communities and have extensive newb helping programs in place (such as the goon wiki, which is one of the best introductory recourses lying around). Which other large null alliance does that? Also, the Goonswarm Federation is not only GoonWaffe you know.

Now I feel really really dirty for defending the goons. Damn you Janis.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#15 - 2012-02-04 18:32:45 UTC
Janis Ezra wrote:
Cass Lie wrote:

Why would goons bother scamming nubs who have zero assets?

Themick Mccoy
#16 - 2012-02-04 18:36:34 UTC

Quote:
......All time something for do for few hour and no worry CTA. No worry politic. No worry ego rubbish null sec.

Please do not quote on part of a person's post, it tends to give the wrong impression. Case in point, the example above makes it out that you cannot complete a sentence.

It can also be used to quote someone out-of-context. I did not mention incursions, high -sec mining or missioning in a group because I was responding to a post I quoted in which the author mentioned soloing.

Please keep this discussion going in a positive manner. The topic was new player aversion to null-sec.

Dark Drifter
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#17 - 2012-02-04 18:37:03 UTC
my personal take on null sec is this:

first- gaining a foothold as a small corp/alliance is nei-on impossible in "sov" space without attracting the attentions of the 2 blocks eitherside of you. you will spend more time attempting to fend off people than actuly playing EVE the way you want to.

second- cost of becoming a fully self sufficient alliance in null is hanus. the cost of holding even one system is still rather high for a small alliance. TCUs and I hub upgrades alone will cost you the better half of a billion to just purchase and set up. then you have to worry about POSs that's another 2-300mill a month ontop of your SOV holding bill. so for a month of just holding down the sov in a sys it will cost over a billion.

third- point 2 brings me to player stations... WTF its 20-30 billion just to set one up then you have to move all the items required for it witch will no doubt attract the attentions of well everyone (when your alliance can only muster 100 or so people at the best of times this becomes problematic) and fending off 6-700man supercap fleets is well... never going to happen. and finaly insult to injury as soon as the station is up its going to be seiged and you will be pushed back to LOw/high sec whilst your station is taken over by the same 700 man supa fleet that destroyed your logistics department.

fourth- the seystem that you can settle are so few and fat between ( my last count was 100 or so non drone SOV systems) that getting to them to set up shop will be like taking a spoon to a tank to kill it.

TBH i know that is seems like there is a lot of hate for the current state of 0.0 in this post / but it dose have its good sides.

0.0 runs are fun and 9 times out of ten you will be under estimated and may come out on top.

===THINGS I WOULD CHANGE===

1- decrease the cost of holding a single system and add 10% to that cost for every system there after.
IE: 1 sys with TCU and IHUB 50 million a month, 2 systems same set up 110 million a month and so on with Ihub upgrades costing 10mill a month (fir 1st level) up to 50mill (at 5th level). have all strategic upgrades cost a flat 100 million a month

2-cut the cost of outpost construction to a 3rd of current ISK cost and decrease required goods by 50%.

3- creat more entry points to sov and NPC null
Ashina Sito
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-02-04 18:41:27 UTC
Eve needs more NPC 0.0.

Sov space is sparsely populated and safe to operate in. NPC space has more activity and that activity increases with more stations.

It is easier to get set up in NPC 0.0. You can play as a solo pilot in NPC 0.0 I went to Syndicate at 3 months old solo. There is room for new players and corps to head out and test the waters of NPC space.

More NPC space was a cornerstone of my CSM 5 election platform, here is a link to that if you want more to read.

http://ashina.bravejournal.com/

Sov space allows you to be a sheep to those long existing older groups and players. NPC space is for the newer players and those who want PvP action rather then sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for a Fleet fight to take/defend a moon/station.

I took a PvP noob training fleet out this week and when in sov space their defensive tactic was to mostly warp away, dock up and hide till we left.

More NPC 0.0 = more new players in 0.0.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#19 - 2012-02-04 18:44:54 UTC
Famble wrote:

o/ NPC Null, what are you doing over there?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Honnete Du Decimer
#20 - 2012-02-04 18:45:04 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Why would goons bother scamming nubs who have zero assets?

"Lulz" destroy innocence, kill game.

123Next pageLast page