These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

SWTOR PvPer's view this game...

Author
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#41 - 2012-02-03 09:16:35 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
This is very true. Eve has pretty much ruined all other MMOs for me.

Well said.

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Torothin
Did he say Jump
#42 - 2012-02-03 13:43:29 UTC
Gantz Tleilax wrote:
Eve's pvp kind of bums me out. There really isn't much of a death penalty. I think they should institute a 30 day account ban when you die. That way it would actually mean something.

Right now it's boo hoo, I lost a ship, which cost $10 in real life.

isn't much of a death penalty? try playing WoW and SWTOR the most that happens is you end up in a spawn zone. You're clueless brah.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-02-03 14:08:48 UTC
Lost interest before SWTOR came out, due to the way they kept altering things based on player feedback. Seems people wanted a WoW in space.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#44 - 2012-02-03 14:15:40 UTC
Swtor Pvp? Lol You joking right it was terrible. :|

Always ******* huttball... So Boring...

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Degren
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-02-03 14:31:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Degren
Oh yeah, one other thing...

Ilum, the world pvp planet, recently got an update. They wanted to add player kills to the objective of the quest, instead of the win trading that was going on. Well, on every single server, Empire players outnumber Republic players by an incredibly large margin. That alone brings up a whole bunch of issues...either Repubs not being able to fight, or Empire players not being able to finish because the Repub players only showed up one time earlier in the week. There are examples of THIS EXACT SAME SCENARIO in similar 3rd Person MMOs.

Well, Bioware said **** it and patched it in, knowing the population disparity. On top of that, they made player kills on this planet worth about 6x what they are in a PvP match. You got more Valor (used for granting higher PvP ranks) for four kills than for winning a match. So, basically...it was more worth while to do that than anything else in the game.

End result? Those of us fortunate enough to have picked the dark side gained about 30 ranks in a few hours (takes weeks if you lose a lot, a week if you win consistently) of spawn-camping the Republic players...who occasionally got the odd kill off, which made the reward worth it.

PVP!

TLDR: Bioware has no ******* idea what they're doing with PvP. I guess that's what they get for taking on the Warhammer crew to design it. Could have at least hired a half-way competent PvPer from similar games as a consultant. Soon as we saw it in the patch notes "Uhhhhhh...welps..."

Hello, hello again.

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#46 - 2012-02-03 14:35:08 UTC
I'm shocked! There are other games than EvE!?!

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#47 - 2012-02-03 14:50:54 UTC
So the BB-gun you got to play with in the themepark shooting tent did not compare favourably to the custom made assault rifle you have stashed in the sandbox bell-tower.. how can that possibly come as a surprise Smile

Market is heading towards a mash-up of the sandbox and themepark, the first one to get the mix right stands to make a fortune I think.
Gordon Fell
Acura Tech
#48 - 2012-02-03 15:25:12 UTC
I still don't see EVE having lightsabers.
Duck Mouth
Wildly Inappropriate
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2012-02-03 15:27:59 UTC
Im with all of the rest of you, EVE ruined most other MMO's for me, except FPS. I'm still a dedicated Battlefield player, and am pumped for Dust 514 to come out. I can dual box with eve on one screen and my ps3 on the one next to it. I do it now sometimes when pvp is slow on my main and i'm just sitting in a belt mining on this toon. playing saints row or bf3 helps the boredom of mining in HS :P

No other MMO can offer the in-depth world that EVE has to offer. The only real shame is the intense learning curve that drives away some newer players. But I've also come to find that most players who have trouble with this learning curve are younger kids, and EVE's player base is not based on how many 13 year olds have mommy and daddy pay their subscription (like WoW)Bear
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#50 - 2012-02-03 15:33:20 UTC
What makes you think that we want you back after you've sullied yourself with playing that crap?

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#51 - 2012-02-03 16:11:57 UTC
Not to mention the fact that Eve PvP is entirely non-consensual. When you buy or sell stuff in Jita 4-4, you are competing against other players for the best bargains. When you undock in an Obelisk loaded with ships and modules, you have to be on the look out for players who gank you for the loot. When you steal loot from someone else's wreck, you run the risk of losing your ship. When you undock in the middle of a wardec that was thrust upon you without your consent, you risk losing both your ship or pod (same when entering low-sec or null-sec). When you are mining, you risk losing your Hulk/Mackinaw to a random suicide gank that was thrust upon you without your approval and without warning.

You can get scammed, corp robbed, have your ship hijacked [if you're dumb enough to unboard it in the middle of space], manipulate and/or corner the market, etc. and it's all perfectly legal.

Only in Eve Online.

Adapt or Die

A'Brantox Foson
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2012-02-03 18:12:06 UTC
Want an RPG - play skyrim or something
Want an MMO - eve
Want PvP - eve, battlefield 3

Swtor has been beat on all fronts

"ooo, but the story though"... - Books
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#53 - 2012-02-03 19:18:37 UTC
Same goes for me. The sandbox that EVE is, has me spoiled and when I explain to my friends who define EVE as "boring as hell" and prefer the current FOTM of theme park MMOs whereas I tell them that I don't want to be led around by the game between each fishing pond in high hopes of getting the biggest candy bag.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

FeralShadow
Academy of the Unseen Arts
#54 - 2012-02-03 19:25:22 UTC
Hahaha Alpheias great funny post.

Also, I have tons of lightsabers. Only in Eve they're called Mega Pulse Lasers >:)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#55 - 2012-02-03 19:33:14 UTC
All these negative comments really make me glad I did not even buy SWTOR.

I was really looking forward to it, played it for 3 months in beta, and was really disappointed. For an MMO to be successful it has to have at least some sandbox quality to it. SWG was a great game until they dumbed it down and gave in to the kiddies complaining about not being able to start out as a jedi. then they made the crafting so simple that they had to cap the attributes of the gear as any one could make capped gear. SWG could have been the greatest MMO but the developer team destroyed the game.

For PVP to be really enjoyable it has to feel rewarding, when there is no death penalty and you have nothing to lose there is also no feeling of accomplishment when you win. So many PVPers in other MMO's complain about minor death penalties until they are removed. Once that happens it is not long until the game is totally dead. In EVE if you die you lose your ship. that can be a worthless frigate you could replace a millions times over or a supercap that took you many months to acquire. The fact that EVE is still successful after so many years proves that this is the right way to do it.

SWTOR developers thought they could replace the sand box with a good storyline. I fact that had me concerned right from the start. It was a very fun game to play but did not feel like an MMO. It failed on so many levels. I wonder how long it will be until they start shutting down servers.
Previous page123