These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[CCP Navigator] Please respond...

First post
Author
Gilbert Intaki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2012-02-01 21:59:52 UTC
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Malcom Dax wrote:
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
... when DT arrives I am almost always in the middle of something (like a POS siege....)

Time your POS siege (or whatever else) better. Its not like they start the downtime at a random time - you know when its gonna hit.

These things take time, so you have to start at some point(obviously!), and it just might happen to stretch across DT.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No....... No, you don't make sense.
You think you do, but you dont Big smile
Ai Shun
#82 - 2012-02-01 22:14:26 UTC
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Malcom Dax wrote:
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
... when DT arrives I am almost always in the middle of something (like a POS siege....)

Time your POS siege (or whatever else) better. Its not like they start the downtime at a random time - you know when its gonna hit.

These things take time, so you have to start at some point(obviously!), and it just might happen to stretch across DT.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No....... No, you don't make sense.
You think you do, but you dont Big smile

He is calling your estimation skills into question. After all, if you cannot even guarantee the time required to take down a POS ...
Klandi
Consortium of stella Technologies
#83 - 2012-02-02 01:00:42 UTC
Well, I try ...

I think you know that you will not get an answer in the forums but you will have achieved an objective and your question might have been noted.
It has been fun reading the rants tho....

I am aware of my own ignorance and have checked my emotional quotient - thanks for asking

Gilbert Intaki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2012-02-02 11:48:09 UTC
Klandi wrote:
Well, I try ...

I think you know that you will not get an answer in the forums but you will have achieved an objective and your question might have been noted.

It sure has Smile
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#85 - 2012-02-02 14:31:12 UTC
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Klandi wrote:
Well, I try ...

It sure has Smile

Your trolling skills are weak, but you did manage to amuse us for a few.

Keep trying though, you'll get the hang of it.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#86 - 2012-02-02 14:43:14 UTC
The finest minds of Aliastra (read: big space supermarket) are at it again.

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#87 - 2012-02-02 14:44:58 UTC
Nobody is more sad than the Community Team when TQ is down longer than planned but the patch process is complicated and delicate and a lot of things have to work as intended for the schedule to hold.
Our method of choice, knowing that uncertainty is always a factor, is to announce the estimated downtime based on what we know at the time, and if problems arise, to update the community as soon as humanly possible and keep you guys updated until deployment is complete.

Intentionally announcing ample downtime in case something goes wrong also has its downsides which are actually pretty similar to what we see now when deployment is delayed. I've noticed that you guys are pretty smart, and therefore it's safe to assume that you would all quickly realize that announced downtime is intentionally ample. Those eager to get back online would be on alert to get in early in case nothing went wrong. The main difference would be that you wouldn't get updates on the progress if problems arise...because after all the scheduled downtime wouldn't be over.

Both methods of communication have their pros and cons...but of course it's just best that deployment downtimes are short, sweet and predictable. They've certainly gotten shorter and shorter, and we are always working towards making them more predictable.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Hired Assasin
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#88 - 2012-02-02 15:10:15 UTC
Woo!

Teamspeak 3 with API and Web Interface Hosting with Member Rewards!! : http://alturl.com/asde8 Catch me on EVE Gate, im allmost always on it!

Gilbert Intaki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#89 - 2012-02-02 16:39:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Gilbert Intaki
CCP Guard wrote:
Nobody is more sad than the Community Team when TQ is down longer than planned but the patch process is complicated and delicate and a lot of things have to work as intended for the schedule to hold.
Our method of choice, knowing that uncertainty is always a factor, is to announce the estimated downtime based on what we know at the time, and if problems arise, to update the community as soon as humanly possible and keep you guys updated until deployment is complete.

Intentionally announcing ample downtime in case something goes wrong also has its downsides which are actually pretty similar to what we see now when deployment is delayed. I've noticed that you guys are pretty smart, and therefore it's safe to assume that you would all quickly realize that announced downtime is intentionally ample. Those eager to get back online would be on alert to get in early in case nothing went wrong. The main difference would be that you wouldn't get updates on the progress if problems arise...because after all the scheduled downtime wouldn't be over.

Both methods of communication have their pros and cons...but of course it's just best that deployment downtimes are short, sweet and predictable. They've certainly gotten shorter and shorter, and we are always working towards making them more predictable.

Well, I am still leaning towards the 'Ample Downtime' approach, just so I don't have to sit there and watch extension after extension roll by because the original time estimate proved well short of what was required.

But anyway, CCP Guard - Thanks very much for your reply!

P.S. Love your YouTube updates btw. Nice to see someone at CCP knows how to handle a whip.... Big smile
Malcom Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#90 - 2012-02-02 19:35:11 UTC
It should be possible to write some script or other to email you when the servers come back online. Eve offline has this information so it is accessible. Then all you need to do is sit and monitor your inbox. If you have a phone that will receive email then at least you could go do something else until the server is up.

Gilbert Intaki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2012-02-02 21:20:07 UTC
Malcom Dax wrote:
It should be possible to write some script or other to email you when the servers come back online. Eve offline has this information so it is accessible. Then all you need to do is sit and monitor your inbox. If you have a phone that will receive email then at least you could go do something else until the server is up.

Yeah - that would be pretty cool actually.
Shazzam Vokanavom
Doomheim
#92 - 2012-02-02 21:23:04 UTC
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Malcom Dax wrote:

EvEMon, likley the most popular 3rd party tool monitors the status of the server.
Gilbert Intaki
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2012-02-02 21:40:33 UTC
Shazzam Vokanavom wrote:
Gilbert Intaki wrote:
Malcom Dax wrote:

EvEMon, likley the most popular 3rd party tool monitors the status of the server.

Doesn't send emails, does it?