These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What materials does ME apply to?

Author
Jessica Issier
#1 - 2012-02-02 08:29:19 UTC
Other than minerals, what else? From what I've noticed, it doesn't apply to components like Thermonuclear Trigger Unit s, Robotics etc but applies to salvage. Is this right?

Making a T2 production spreadsheet isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be. P
Director Producer
LRC Inc.
#2 - 2012-02-02 09:35:04 UTC
Is your question about Tech I manufacturing or Invention ?
Jessica Issier
#3 - 2012-02-02 09:46:33 UTC
Tech 2 manufacturing
Louis Vitton
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-02-02 09:58:41 UTC
The best place to get this info is in the tech section of these forums.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#5 - 2012-02-02 11:21:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
Short answer:
Take a look at the calculator in my sig. The math and db lookups are taken care of there.

Long answer:
In the static data dump, materials for blueprints are stored in 2 places. basic materials and extra materials. ME changes only affect the basic materials.

Waste due to a production efficiency skill less that 5 only apply to:
basic materials
Extra materials that also show up in the basic materials list.

In addition, if an extra material is marked as recyclable, the materials in it's basic material list are removed from the main basic material list, before any waste is applied.

All of that is taken care of for you in the client, so you don't see the base numbers.

It's not as simple as 'just this type of material' unfortunately.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-02-02 11:39:05 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Short answer:
Take a look at the calculator in my sig. The math and db lookups are taken care of there.

Long answer:
In the static data dump, materials for blueprints are stored in 2 places. basic materials and extra materials. ME changes only affect the basic materials.

Waste due to a production efficiency skill less that 5 only apply to:
basic materials
Extra materials that also show up in the basic materials list.

In addition, if an extra material is marked as recyclable, the materials in it's basic material list are removed from the main basic material list, before any waste is applied.

All of that is taken care of for you in the client, so you don't see the base numbers.

It's not as simple as 'just this type of material' unfortunately.

This, in a nutshell.

If you aren't making the sheet 'just for the fun of it', I suggest you poke around at many of the applications that have already gone through the pain of figuring all this out. Steve's site above is good. I have a desktop app in my sig.

Good luck!

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Shayla Sh'inlux
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-02-02 14:35:05 UTC
Quote:

Making a T2 production spreadsheet isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be.

Indeed.

To answer your question - there is no set rule for this. Minerals are usually affected by ME, but not always. Most notable are bombs, where part of the minerals are influenced by ME, while others are not. Similarly, for a lot of tech II items, part of the Morphite is affected by ME-levels, while some is not.

What it all comes down to is that each building part is either a building material or an extra material. Materials are refunded when you reprocess something, extra materials are not. The tech 1 item or ship counterpart required for the vast majority of tech II items are always extra, just like the RAM-tech because you never get them back when reprocessing.

The most convenient way to find out what is extra and what is not is to query the database directly. Lacking that option, the "hard way" is to check each item manually in the online database here http://eve-online.itemdrop.net/eve_db/items/ although I think it's outdated. For example, you can see the building requirements for a Scourge Fury missile (now a Trauma Fury Missile) here:

http://eve-online.itemdrop.net/eve_db/items/blueprint/missile_blueprint/scourge_fury_heavy_missile_blueprint/

You'll notice that the Rocket Fuel lists 80 pieces in the materials table and 4 in the Extra table. ME applies to the 80, but not to the 4. So if you have a ME -4 copy you'll need 80*1,5+4=84 Rocket Fuel.
Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#8 - 2012-02-02 16:02:03 UTC
To the best of my knowledge the P4 category of Planetary Interaction derived materials eg Broadcast Node etc are not affected by ME research. I know for definate that P4 materials required for Control Towers, POS modules & arrays are preset at optimum levels.
This is not generally known as you will notice a lot of POS module/array BPC's in contracts with ME research done on them. Smile
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#9 - 2012-02-02 16:06:23 UTC
I believe what the OP is asking is more for tech 2 modules , control towers, gantries,and such, that have no normal mineral requirements. Base materials do not always mean base minerals.

most of the components in tech 2 and capital ship production are base materials and are affected by ME research.
for example materials derived from moon goo needed to make tech 2 components are base materials. I believe the tech 2 modules used in a tech2 ship construction are base materials but the quantities are so low researching them to ME 5 may knock off 1-2 units but anything thing higher will nor add additional benefit.

for example having a waste reduction from 10% to say 0.9% effectively a 9% reduction would reduce the material requirements of a base material from say 100 unit to 91 units. Not bad especially if each of those units costs a few mil like in tech 2 ship production or capital ship production.

But if the base material required thousands or millions of units like in tech 1 ship production even a further 0.1%reduction in waste would save an extra 1000 units per million required, but not a big savings in trit which is usually the biggest unit base material as it only cost about 3.4 isk unit saving about 3400 isk per 0.1% reduction in waste.

If the base material requirement was only 10 then you need 10% reduction or true zero waste which is not possible, just to save one unit. anything requiring 15-20 units would benefit from some ME research with 0.5% waste saving you one unit out of twenty, but no amount of ME research would give you an additional unit of savings. this is where the prefect ME comes from. Perfect ME does not mean zero waste. It means no amount of additional research will save you any additional material as it is always rounded up to the nearest unit.

Even the PI materials used in control tower and gantry production are affected by ME but due to the low number of units required there is very little benefit to extensive ME research. there is a noticeable difference between ME 0 and ME 5 but no difference between ME5 and ME500.

Even if extra materials were affected by ME (which they are not) most would still not change as it is generally 1-2 units (with the exception of T2 ammo and missiles). even with 2 units with ME0 waste being 10% no amount of research would generate the 50% reduction needed to change 2 units to 1 unit. With 10% base waste any material requirement of 10 units or less will not be reduced by any amount of research, as even ME 1000 would leave you with 0.0001% waste giving a reduction of 9.9999% which is still shy of the 10% needed to reduce the 10 units to 9.

Generally the BPO's you use to produce the modules needed for tech 2 ship production have such low material requirements ME research is of very little benefit. Unless you are making Jump freighters which require thousands of units of the same moon goo products. As some of these products are very expensive saving even just a couple extra units, (0.2% down to 0.1% will still save on unit per thousand ) can affect your profits significantly.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#10 - 2012-02-02 16:38:33 UTC
If you're still wanting to use a spreadsheet, and are using one that can do xml imports, I bring you:

xml feeds of production information
Big smile

Just get the numbers right on my calculator, and you'll be able to hit them for a spreadsheet tie in, from the xml link at the top. split into base, extra and total, for your xpath entertainment. You'll see an extra damage attribute on the extra materials. That's because not all extra materials are totally used when you do a run. It's a multiplier. So 1 is full use, and anything lower is partial use. The total materials list doesn't take that into account.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Jessica Issier
#11 - 2012-02-02 18:31:25 UTC
Thanks for all the replies everyone, some very useful info in here!

And Steve Ronuken, that's a pretty neat site you have there. Yeah an xml feed would work well for this, I'll have to look into it.