These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Things I would like to see introduced to reduce RMT

Author
Prince Kobol
#1 - 2012-01-30 12:55:46 UTC
1. A new client or a modified client to eliminate or greatly reduce the ability to inject python code.

2. A form of authentication such as Secure ID Tokens to eliminate the ability to create 100% untraceable accounts.

3. A live monitoring system to that will alert CCP of any PLEX transactions / transfers and large Isk transactions / transfers from newly created accounts, say under 30 days.

4. The CSM to openly and actively campaign for the introduction new ways to combat the effects of RMT

These things I feel would greatly reduce the ability of the RMT merchants and show that the CSM takes the issue of RMT seriously.

Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-01-30 14:31:42 UTC
Your wish list either already exists in some form or has had a public announcement about progress on it made in the last six months.

I also would like to add I want a pony and a new Corvette. You have five minutes. Get moving.
Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#3 - 2012-01-30 14:44:42 UTC
Removal of PLEX and automated flagging of suspicious ISK movements should do the trick.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Ejit
STD contractors
#4 - 2012-01-30 14:54:55 UTC
CCP's Russian overlords might have a problem with your suggestions!
Lyrka Bloodberry
Spybeaver
#5 - 2012-01-30 14:56:10 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:
Removal of PLEX and automated flagging of suspicious ISK movements should do the trick.

And suspicious is...?

Spybeaver

Prince Kobol
#6 - 2012-01-30 15:05:00 UTC
Lyrka Bloodberry wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

And suspicious is...?

Character who are less then 30 days old and in NPC's corps transferring isk or PLEX to other players.
Rixiu
PonyTek
#7 - 2012-01-30 15:10:37 UTC
"4. The CSM to openly and actively campaign for the introduction new ways to combat the effects of RMT "

I smiled ^^ That's never going to happen with the current CSM :P
stoicfaux
#8 - 2012-01-30 15:19:54 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Lyrka Bloodberry wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

And suspicious is...?

Character who are less then 30 days old and in NPC's corps transferring isk or PLEX to other players.

Bad idea. It potentially penalizes legitimate players who are trying to hide their wealth or asset/isk transfers from their Alliance/Corp who require a full access API key to join. I also would imagine that legitimate players need throw-away accounts to sell any ill-gotten goods (i.e. from corp theft, or piracy.) Jita scammers also need throw-away alts, especially for margin trading scams and the "send me X isk and I'll double it back" scammers.

Also, there are people who would just create a whole mess of new accounts and would transfer assets around just to screw with CCP on general principle.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Prince Kobol
#9 - 2012-01-30 15:43:46 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Lyrka Bloodberry wrote:
Rodj Blake wrote:

And suspicious is...?

Bad idea. It potentially penalizes legitimate players who are trying to hide their wealth or asset/isk transfers from their Alliance/Corp who require a full access API key to join. I also would imagine that legitimate players need throw-away accounts to sell any ill-gotten goods (i.e. from corp theft, or piracy.) Jita scammers also need throw-away alts, especially for margin trading scams and the "send me X isk and I'll double it back" scammers.

Also, there are people who would just create a whole mess of new accounts and would transfer assets around just to screw with CCP on general principle.

Well all valid points, it does not matter.

Many RMT merchants use newly created alts to transfer Isk / Plex to buyers, this is a fact.

Knowing this it only makes sense to keep an eye on transfers involving newly created alts.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-01-30 19:30:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Prince Kobol wrote:

These things I feel would greatly reduce the ability of the RMT merchants and show that the CSM takes the issue of RMT seriously.

Remove Local - The #1 most effective RMT deterrent. It costs nothing. It's quick. It requires only rewriting one bit from 1 to 0.

And CCP won't do it.

Now, your suggestions cost time and money. Rewrite the client? Tokens? Bah. How much of a chance do you think they will be implemented?

Given that CCP has a no-cost solution but won't implement it, that they won't publish even the more innocuous data on their efforts you're left to ask why? Does CCP really want to get rid of RMT?

There's only one good reason: It's more profitable to support RMT efforts that pay back to CCP to be allowed to do it while combating those that don't instead of getting rid of it all.

Don't ban me, bro!

Ganagati
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-01-30 19:34:18 UTC
So, are we counting officially sponsored RMT (aka, PLEX) in this category as well? =D

Prince Kobol
#12 - 2012-01-30 19:39:16 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

Remove Local - The #1 most effective RMT deterrent. It costs nothing. It's quick. It requires only rewriting one bit from 1 to 0.

And CCP won't do it.

Now, your suggestions cost time and money. Rewrite the client? Tokens? Bah. How much of a chance do you think they will be implemented?

Given that CCP has a no-cost solution but won't implement it, that they won't publish even the more innocuous data on their efforts you're left to ask why? Does CCP really want to get rid of RMT?

There's only one good reason: It's more profitable to support RMT efforts that pay back to CCP to be allowed to do it while combating those that don't instead of getting rid of it all.

The sad thing is I totally agree with you.

Ganagati
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-01-30 19:41:18 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

And CCP won't do it.

I think CCP is more afraid of a mass exodus to highsec from 0.0 if they did that. The only thing keeping most of the nullbears in place is that constant watchful eye on the system.

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-01-31 13:17:08 UTC
Ganagati wrote:

I think CCP is more afraid of a mass exodus to highsec from 0.0 if they did that. The only thing keeping most of the nullbears in place is that constant watchful eye on the system.

There wasn't a mass exodus when supercaps were nerfed and people paid hard money for those.

Don't ban me, bro!

Ira Theos
#15 - 2012-01-31 17:22:17 UTC
Ejit wrote:

Ejit wrote:

Sadly, I'm afraid this is the truth.

Eve isn't a game. It's a business, and the spice must flow !
Avid Bumhumper
Beekeepers Anonymous
#16 - 2012-01-31 17:34:15 UTC
The funniest part of this Troll is that people take him seriously.

No game has ever controlled RMT, just how much freedom are you willing to give up in order to try and combat it?

And just how much time should CCP invest in this when they have so much trouble bringing actual content to their game? Personally, I'd rather see them invest in making the game work better, and add content, rather that spending all their profits chasing down the lengendary RMTers.....

My Tinfoil hat has been sugically implanted, so no,it is not for sale.....

Ganagati
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-01-31 18:32:25 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Ganagati wrote:

There wasn't a mass exodus when supercaps were nerfed and people paid hard money for those.

I'm not talking about ragequitting, I'm talking about nullbears packing up from 0.0 and moving to highsec. Without the safety net of local to let them know they are constantly safe, many of the PvE nullbears would scoot right back to npc corps in highsec.

Prince Kobol
#18 - 2012-01-31 19:02:48 UTC
Avid Bumhumper wrote:
The funniest part of this Troll is that people take him seriously.

No game has ever controlled RMT, just how much freedom are you willing to give up in order to try and combat it?

And just how much time should CCP invest in this when they have so much trouble bringing actual content to their game? Personally, I'd rather see them invest in making the game work better, and add content, rather that spending all their profits chasing down the lengendary RMTers.....

lol.. you calling me a troll..

first off I never said remove RMT as that is impossible but you can make life hard for them unlike what is happening now where CCP is effectively giving them a free pass.

Let me answer a couple of points you raised..

1. The issue of freedom.

I guessing your talking about an Authentication Token

So what freedom would you have to give up, giving CCP a name and mailing address, the same thing which you have probably given to countless companies.. ohhhh

2. How much time should CCP invest in combating RMT

Lets see, making local in null acting like local in WH.. sure that would take a while considering it already exists.

What else, creating a automated system that monitors transfer of Isk and PLEX from newly created accounts. Considering Eve is essentially a SQL database this should be fairly easy.

The most time consuming issue is that of the client. I am sure most people would like to see a new improved client which is faster, handles updates better and much more secure.

As for CCP spending their profits, you do realise that RMT reduces CCP right. You do realise that most RMT merchants use stolen credit card information to purchase PLEX from 3rd party sites yeah..

Also people spending RL money on buying BPO's and Ships such as Titans also effect CCP profits?

I have to admit that when ever anybody talks about not doing anything that would hamper RMT it makes me suspicious.
Mistress Motion
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-01-31 19:13:25 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:

Ummm... What? I just woke up and I'm not sure if this is just a joke.
Dowla Daupor
Deltole Deltole Deltole
#20 - 2012-01-31 19:19:05 UTC
Most RMT comes from tech moons

*ducks*
12Next page