These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Laser Guided, Self-Homing Bullets...

Author
stoicfaux
#1 - 2012-01-31 14:44:25 UTC
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57368488/super-bullet-could-strike-target-a-mile-away/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Quote:
Designed with the military, law enforcement, and recreational shooters as potential customers, the bullet is four inches long and has an optical sensor embedded in its nose for the detection of a laser on its target, Sandia said in a release today. The bullet also has built-in guidance and control electronics that receive data from the optical sensor and then manipulate the electromagnetic actuators. And the actuators use that data to steer small fins in order to direct the bullet directly to its target.

"As the bullet files through the air, it pitches and yaws at a set rate based on its mass and size," Jones explained in Sandia's release. "The natural body frequency of this bullet is 30 Hz, so we can make corrections 30 times per second


I don't envy the Secret Service and other VIP bodyguards.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Larry Wickes
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#2 - 2012-01-31 15:31:02 UTC
That is pretty cool!
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#3 - 2012-01-31 15:34:27 UTC
It is kinda cool, but laser-designating a man-shaped target from a mile away is going to be a challenge.
Caldari Citizen20090217
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-01-31 15:51:46 UTC
This 80's classic was the first thing that came to mind.
NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Initiative Mercenaries
#5 - 2012-01-31 15:52:46 UTC  |  Edited by: NeoShocker
Old news I think, read in one of cracked.com article about a year ago about overkill weapons.
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#6 - 2012-01-31 15:55:34 UTC
NeoShocker wrote:
Old news I think, read in one of kotaku article about a year ago about overkill weapons.



You might be thinking of the XM-25 Laser Guided Grenade Launcher. It can calculate distance to its target and set the round to explode just after entering the window.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Initiative Mercenaries
#7 - 2012-01-31 15:58:38 UTC  |  Edited by: NeoShocker
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
NeoShocker wrote:
Old news I think, read in one of kotaku article about a year ago about overkill weapons.



You might be thinking of the XM-25 Laser Guided Grenade Launcher. It can calculate distance to its target and set the round to explode just after entering the window.


Nope. Found it too! Here it is.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18473_6-new-weapons-that-you-literally-cannot-hide-from.html

Cant link it propertly, tablet's a ***** :-(

Your part right on the xm. Must say the news is older! :-)
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-01-31 18:04:35 UTC
This is more scary than awesome, tbh.
Selinate
#9 - 2012-01-31 18:43:59 UTC
Sandia National labs?

Is there anything those ******* don't do? Jesus....
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-01-31 19:11:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Surfin's PlunderBunny
A mile away huh? You can do that with a .50 (and some good skill) and the round won't require you to take out a 2nd mortgage P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2P70K4c94&feature=related

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Shalia Ripper
#11 - 2012-01-31 19:36:42 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
A mile away huh? You can do that with a .50 (and some good skill) and the round won't require you to take out a 2nd mortgage P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2P70K4c94&feature=related

The goal is smarter weapons to lessen the training time.


P.S. Gun control is hitting what you shoot at.

Sig blah blah blah blah

stoicfaux
#12 - 2012-01-31 19:42:11 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
A mile away huh? You can do that with a .50 (and some good skill) and the round won't require you to take out a 2nd mortgage P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2P70K4c94&feature=related

Yes, but this is with standard powder in a normal rifle (where normal = can chamber a 4 inch bullet.) In theory, this could lead to any chump hitting a target at a mile plus with minimal concern as to wind, air density, humidity, etc. so long as the spotter can keep a laser on the target.

Quote:
...with commercially available gunpowder, the bullet will travel at speeds of 2,400 feet per second. But with customized gunpowder, it could hit military speeds.

...the new bullet could hit within eight inches of its target at a firing distance of a mile. That compares to a standard rifle-fired bullet, which tends to miss a target by about 29 feet after traveling a mile.


Crikey, you might not even need a two man sniper team anymore. Put the gun on a stand and aim it in the general direction of the target. The spotter lazes the target and presses a button to remotely fire the rifle. The bullet then homes in on the reflected laser light. For convenience, you could put the rifle on a motorized swivel and slave it to the spotter's optics.

It would also make for a great throwaway assassin's weapon. Set up the rifle (or three) a mile away with a wireless electronic trigger. Point it at the podium of the VIP you want to target. The assassin can now be anywhere. Laser the target, send the wireless signal to fire the gun, and then walk away. The police might find the weapons (which can now be stashed in a much smaller than human sized hidey-hole) but they'll have a hard time catching the assassin.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-01-31 20:23:20 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
A mile away huh? You can do that with a .50 (and some good skill) and the round won't require you to take out a 2nd mortgage P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2P70K4c94&feature=related

Yes, but this is with standard powder in a normal rifle (where normal = can chamber a 4 inch bullet.) In theory, this could lead to any chump hitting a target at a mile plus with minimal concern as to wind, air density, humidity, etc. so long as the spotter can keep a laser on the target.

Quote:
...with commercially available gunpowder, the bullet will travel at speeds of 2,400 feet per second. But with customized gunpowder, it could hit military speeds.

...the new bullet could hit within eight inches of its target at a firing distance of a mile. That compares to a standard rifle-fired bullet, which tends to miss a target by about 29 feet after traveling a mile.


Crikey, you might not even need a two man sniper team anymore. Put the gun on a stand and aim it in the general direction of the target. The spotter lazes the target and presses a button to remotely fire the rifle. The bullet then homes in on the reflected laser light. For convenience, you could put the rifle on a motorized swivel and slave it to the spotter's optics.

It would also make for a great throwaway assassin's weapon. Set up the rifle (or three) a mile away with a wireless electronic trigger. Point it at the podium of the VIP you want to target. The assassin can now be anywhere. Laser the target, send the wireless signal to fire the gun, and then walk away. The police might find the weapons (which can now be stashed in a much smaller than human sized hidey-hole) but they'll have a hard time catching the assassin.



That would work during the day, but at night with NVGs lasers work 2 ways with the starting point being akin to holding up a road flare.

Hello mortars Shocked

Also that set up would probably cost the assassin about 5x what he's being payed for the job P

Also that can be done with an M136 and a video camera... accuracy by sheer volume

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Dowla Daupor
Deltole Deltole Deltole
#14 - 2012-01-31 20:27:10 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:


I don't envy the Secret Service and other VIP bodyguards.



That's what I thought to assassination just got a whole lot more interesting. I wonder if you could aim the bullet say 3 feet to the side but keep the optics on the intended destination. If you got used to it you could shoot around corners or other bodies.
Shadowsword
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-02-01 00:12:41 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

Yes, but this is with standard powder in a normal rifle (where normal = can chamber a 4 inch bullet.) In theory, this could lead to any chump hitting a target at a mile plus with minimal concern as to wind, air density, humidity, etc. so long as the spotter can keep a laser on the target.

...

Crikey, you might not even need a two man sniper team anymore. Put the gun on a stand and aim it in the general direction of the target. The spotter lazes the target and presses a button to remotely fire the rifle. The bullet then homes in on the reflected laser light. For convenience, you could put the rifle on a motorized swivel and slave it to the spotter's optics.

It would also make for a great throwaway assassin's weapon. Set up the rifle (or three) a mile away with a wireless electronic trigger. Point it at the podium of the VIP you want to target. The assassin can now be anywhere. Laser the target, send the wireless signal to fire the gun, and then walk away. The police might find the weapons (which can now be stashed in a much smaller than human sized hidey-hole) but they'll have a hard time catching the assassin.




This bullet seem pretty useless to me. Even assuming perfect accuracy, it's only as accurate as the laser designator guiding it, and if you have the electronics to make a stable designator, you can instead have the electronics to compensate the aim of a standard bullet and achieve the same result.

Reminds me of The Jackal, a movie were the assassin used a machine gun on a motorized swivel, with remote computer control and optical aim.
stoicfaux
#16 - 2012-02-01 01:32:58 UTC
Shadowsword wrote:

This bullet seem pretty useless to me. Even assuming perfect accuracy, it's only as accurate as the laser designator guiding it, and if you have the electronics to make a stable designator, you can instead have the electronics to compensate the aim of a standard bullet and achieve the same result.


Except that at long ranges, a bullet's accuracy is affected by the wind (which can be blowing in several different directions along the flight path,) air density, humidity, and even Coriolis effects. Plus there's the target's movement to deal with. If electronics could compensate for all of that, then we wouldn't need a guided bullet.

This homing/guided bullet is making 30 course corrections per second. It's essentially a glider that flies to the target like a engineless, guided missile, which should make it vastly more accurate than an unguided, spinning, lump of lead.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

SpaceSquirrels
#17 - 2012-02-01 02:22:33 UTC
Well they do have guns with fire control calculators in them... Tanks... 20mm... artillery... Just expensive and cumbersome. Wind can still knock things off course with lighter rounds as well. (Because there's not a great way to tell wind speed direction for such systems away from the firing point)
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-02-01 02:48:48 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Well they do have guns with fire control calculators in them... Tanks... 20mm... artillery... Just expensive and cumbersome. Wind can still knock things off course with lighter rounds as well. (Because there's not a great way to tell wind speed direction for such systems away from the firing point)


Actually the fire control system on the M1 Abrams accounts for wind, movement of tank, and movement of target. It's hooked up to some great satellite systems that see these things.

The big difference is the costs. Supplying these rounds to infantry companies (about 130 people per company, standard loadout is 300 rounds each). Government looking to cut military spending, not double them. Also if everyone uses these new rounds, the standard is going to drop. Combined with more complex systems this means something goes wrong and our people get slaughtered by the enemy that was actually trained to fight without rounds that while I'm playing Battlefield 3 are probably already playing Battlefield 4P

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Kzintee
Hunters Moon
#19 - 2012-02-01 03:03:11 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Well they do have guns with fire control calculators in them... Tanks... 20mm... artillery... Just expensive and cumbersome. Wind can still knock things off course with lighter rounds as well. (Because there's not a great way to tell wind speed direction for such systems away from the firing point)


Actually the fire control system on the M1 Abrams accounts for wind, movement of tank, and movement of target. It's hooked up to some great satellite systems that see these things.

The big difference is the costs. Supplying these rounds to infantry companies (about 130 people per company, standard loadout is 300 rounds each). Government looking to cut military spending, not double them. Also if everyone uses these new rounds, the standard is going to drop. Combined with more complex systems this means something goes wrong and our people get slaughtered by the enemy that was actually trained to fight without rounds that while I'm playing Battlefield 3 are probably already playing Battlefield 4P


Seems like this will be a limited use weapon requiring specialized training, so no, for quite a few more years there'll be few of them around and the rest will be using the regular assault rifles.
I wonder what kind of torture test they put that gun through. What does sand/water/mud do to the buttons...
Shadowsword
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-02-01 12:02:38 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Shadowsword wrote:

This bullet seem pretty useless to me. Even assuming perfect accuracy, it's only as accurate as the laser designator guiding it, and if you have the electronics to make a stable designator, you can instead have the electronics to compensate the aim of a standard bullet and achieve the same result.


Except that at long ranges, a bullet's accuracy is affected by the wind (which can be blowing in several different directions along the flight path,) air density, humidity, and even Coriolis effects. Plus there's the target's movement to deal with. If electronics could compensate for all of that, then we wouldn't need a guided bullet.



Certainly there are factors that can't be measured and taken into consideration by a fire control system installed besides the gun. But are those factors enough to deviate the bullet by more than a few centimeters? I doubt it. The things that can really deviate something moving at bullet speed apply everywhere.
12Next page