These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mini-Dreadnaught/Corvette Idea

Author
Fogg
Dark-Force
#1 - 2012-01-31 04:38:33 UTC
I would like to see a new type of battleship, tech2. This new battleship would be given fitting bonuses for capital weaponry, allowing it to fit "oversized" guns on it similar to the new tier 3 bcs principle. This battleship role is to serve as a mini dreadnaught in areas where using caps or super caps is too risky or impossible, such as high sec. It should have a jumpdrive, and be able to jump to low/null, but still able to travel through gates, as its a BS hull. Its jump range could be further than a black ops, but less than a dreadnaught.

In relation to stats and balance, it should be somewhere between a buffer BS and a dreadnaught, with about half or a third the effective HP, half the damage, and half the production cost. It should mount capital class guns, and have balls for tracking, making it ineffective or pointless for hitting anything other than caps or structures. This new battleship would fill in a powergap that exist between a battleship and a dreadnaught, as well as giving podpilots a way to siege high sec assets more effectively than pure BS gangs. Caps and supers are the counter to Large POS's, and in highsec there is currently an imbalance as Large Towers offer too much safety in relation to the ships able to attack them.

While it is possible to reinforce a large deathstar POS in highsec, it takes massive numbers and many long hours of tedious grinding, even once all modules have been incapped and there is still hours and hours of shield grinding. I have sieged and popped many many high sec pos's and everyone who has knows that sitting shooting a tower until downtime to reinforce it in a RR bs gang is beyond broken.

Comments?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-01-31 04:41:32 UTC
Better yet, T1.

Cheap, effective, works in high-sec - great for, uh, whale hunting.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#3 - 2012-01-31 05:02:26 UTC
No.

Stop dumbing down caps with more sub cap hulls.

Take more DPS or move to low sec.

Or remove the cyno restrictions for caps in Eve and allow dreads to be jumped into hi-sec space.

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2012-01-31 05:07:14 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:
No.

Stop dumbing down caps with more sub cap hulls.

Take more DPS or move to low sec.

Or remove the cyno restrictions for caps in Eve and allow dreads to be jumped into hi-sec space.

why the fuck would that be a good idea

"OH MAN WE CAN BLITZ LEVEL 4 MISSIONS WITH CARRIERS NOW WOOOOT"

**** that noise

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#5 - 2012-01-31 05:07:44 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:
remove the cyno restrictions for caps in Eve and allow dreads to be jumped into hi-sec space.

Horrible things will happen if you allow cynos and capitals into highsec.

Horrible things that I entierly support.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-01-31 05:11:35 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Asuka Solo wrote:
remove the cyno restrictions for caps in Eve and allow dreads to be jumped into hi-sec space.

yeah sorry I don't want to see pubbies driving up prices on capitals, or jump freighters cynoing right onto the Jita undock with absolutely no chance of interception, or ~high-sec pvp~ with neutral triage carriers

ugh

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#7 - 2012-01-31 05:18:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Vimsy Vortis
You forgot titan bridging to bait ships and cearbears running around in rorquals.

Also I don't know what you're talking about, I think highsec PVP with neutral triage carriers would be extremely funny. You're just a spoil-sport.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#8 - 2012-01-31 05:46:00 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Asuka Solo wrote:

I believe his point was that highsec caps would be no worse than the OP's idea (an opinion I'm forced to agree with because the OP is effectively suggesting that Dreads be allowed in highsec, just with a different name).
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#9 - 2012-01-31 05:59:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Vimsy Vortis
Highsec capitals would be MUCH worse than mini-dreads because there are types of capitals other than dreads. You would also introduce problems related to cynos. In particular it would make moving goods almost completely risk free.
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-01-31 06:53:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Galphii
mxzf wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Asuka Solo wrote:

I believe his point was that highsec caps would be no worse than the OP's idea (an opinion I'm forced to agree with because the OP is effectively suggesting that Dreads be allowed in highsec, just with a different name).

I think it's less about allowing caps into highsec in some form, and more about allowing the capital guns themselves into highsec (and smaller wormholes as well, for that matter) to ease the burden of taking down a POS.

I support the OP, with the exception that the ship does not get a jump drive. It should be a slow, heavy beast that is useless for anything except killing a POS or another large, virtually immobile target, and it should be very easy to intercept on gates. This means it won't eclipse true dreadnaughts for lowsec/nullsec ops, and requires a fleet to protect it.

There is definitely a need to take down large towers in Highsec and small wormholes though, and we all like to see new tech 2 battleships Big smile

Finally, a subcap ship that is specialized in dealing big damage against capital ships is just what the game needs - caps and supercaps are too easy to make and too hard to kill, and a small fleet of these monsters could make a big strategic difference. Either that or make Blackops battleships into BS sized stealth bombers, armed with citadel torps. Smile

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#11 - 2012-01-31 15:33:38 UTC
I'm leaning towards "no" ... but good arguments could sway me in favour of this. In order to "balance" this idea a little...

Skill req is BS V, Advanced Spaceship Command 2/3. Anything lower, and I'm solidly against it.

It gets two (maybe three?) high slots. one of which MUST be used for a siege module. Without using a siege module, the ship cannot fire the capital gun(s). Mids and lows depend on tanking style (though sort of fall in line with the other battleships). Also, no matter what, these have to be glass cannons ...

lolrp reason --> "Due to the massive recoil of the capital guns, there is no safe way for ships of this size to withstand the stresses that would be placed on the weapon hardpoints without diverting power from the warp core. In addition, in order to fit all the necessary capital components into a battleship-sized hull, great sacrifices were made to the shield emitters/armour plating of this class"

Furthermore, ships in this class should absolutely require inclusion of capital parts. Not necessarily everything like you put into a true capital though.

For example, using a Domi hull and adding some bits from a Moros... (Using base numbers from the prints)

Isogen 67.399
Megacyte 1.407
Mexallon 270.905
Nocxium 16.79
Pyerite 1.075.894
Tritanium 4.300.840
Zydrine 3.844

Capital Capacitor Battery 9 (Moros needs 25)
Capital Construction Parts 10 (Moros needs 30)
Capital Power Generator 5 (Moros needs 15)
Capital Siege Array 10 (Moros needs 30)
Capital Turret Hardpoint 10 (Moros needs 30)

rough market price:
domi is ~50m
Cap battery is ~4m (40m total)
Const Parts is ~5m (50m total)
Power Generator is ~6m (60m total)
Siege Array is ~7m (70m total)
Turret Hardpoint is ~7.5m (75m total)

so, a rough estimate on the cost is 250-300m for the boat. Might be a little too cheap, but you get the idea. Maybe add a need for a few cap propulsion engines?

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#12 - 2012-01-31 15:55:10 UTC
how about a between BS and dread/carrier ship? Big like and orca but uses gates. Focused and with obvious flaws (very few slots, horrible stats for local tank, very focused ship bonuses, or just more or limited than both BS and dreads.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#13 - 2012-01-31 15:57:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Asuka Solo
Andski wrote:

yeah sorry I don't want to see pubbies driving up prices on capitals
ugh

Blah blah, nobody cares what you don't want to see.

mxzf wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Asuka Solo wrote:

Quoted for great justice.

Quite frankly, the OP wants a t1 battleship hull, @ a 10th of the price, that has a jump drive, can lock onto sub caps without having an Achilles heel like the bigger ships do, fit big ship guns, do everything the big ships can and then do things they can't.

Infact, the only 2 things that a battleship would not be able to do with this OP would be siege and doomsdays.

O wait.. concord... moving on....

If sub capital ships start getting capital weapons with glass tanks....

Then capital ships should start getting anti sub cap weapons.

Crying about hi-sec mechanics and lack of caps as the sole reason for wanting this abomination, is surely more easily fixed by introducing caps back into hi-sec. It doesn't even have to be all of hisec. Allow cynos into < 0.5/0.6 and allow covert cynos up to 0.8 space.

Noob systems stay untouched and these bozos get some hi-sec POS bashing without ruining the capital ship playing field.

Playing devil's advocate on the other hand. If Eve did get battleships with capital guns, it would actually give legitimacy to the cry for anti sub cap weapons and expanded capital hulls/t2s/t3s even.

Now I'm just tempted to say screw it, let you people ruin the value of caps and then demand a great cap expansion to give you all the finger.

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2012-01-31 17:05:43 UTC
capitals should remain another "if you want to play with these toys, get out of highsec" thing

also lmao "the cry for anti subcap weapons"

it's like you've never seen tracking-fit turret titans or fighterswarms

Freya Chang
Flare And Neutron Equities
#15 - 2012-01-31 17:50:22 UTC
Andski wrote:
capitals should remain another "if you want to play with these toys, get out of highsec" thing

Absolutely agree. I have to have something to aim for.
Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-01-31 18:10:25 UTC
i like the idea of a T2 battleship in the style of a dread that can fit capital turrets. I agree that it shouldnt have any jump capabilities and should only have 3 turret/missile slots with a utility high.

Low EHP but high resists, promoting its use in fleets.

The utility 'should' be used to fit a siege mod, as if you dont, you will probably get less dps than a normally fitted battleship, but im not going to stop you fitting a salvager if you want to.

It is going to be almost as difficult as a cap ship to fly with all the lvl5 ship and gunnery/missile skill reqs. I like that its something to aim for and not easily attainable.

basically a crappy tracking high dps hisec capable structure bashing T2 battleship

(Not sure i agree on addition of capital components in its build though. that one is open for debate)

the ONLY drawback i can think is if it gets highjacked as the latest station camping ship to be in, could it render the Vindicator obsolete, or would its tracking be truely horrible enough to avoid this?

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Velicitia
XS Tech
#17 - 2012-01-31 18:17:29 UTC
Yeah, I'm not convinced that the cap parts are a "good" idea either ... but it was the easiest thing I could think of to take the price from 50m (i.e. tier 1 BS) to ~300m. Assuming we were keeping it T1 for now, ofc. If this goes T2, it's easily going to cost as much as a blops BS.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#18 - 2012-01-31 18:25:29 UTC
The concept like "pocket carriers" is sound, it would just need a fare trade.

Unfortunately all my ideas are really only good for a "mini-carrier"

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-01-31 18:59:27 UTC
if we go T2 on this ship, then we will have 3 T2 battleships using all 3 tiers of the T1 lineup

perfect

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#20 - 2012-01-31 19:22:59 UTC
Corvettes have been traditionally smaller than frgiates, just once upon a time frgiates where king of the seas in battle.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

12Next page