These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

CCP, Let us moderate our own forum threads.

First post
Author
Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-01-31 01:46:54 UTC
Trolling would virtually stop if we could moderate our own forum threads. Give the thread creator the ability to delete questionable/offensive posts without having to involve CCP moderator intervention all the time.

Some sections would be exempt, like Features and Ideas where all community input is needed to get an accurate assessment of where everyone stands. CCP Mods would still have to deal with the trolls in those sections.

Hans Momaki
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-01-31 02:30:40 UTC
Not sure if serious.

Your "Idea" would kill any constructive discussion. Bad comments would get deleted, good ones supported. This is no base for discussion.

No, just no.
Hans Momaki
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-01-31 02:31:13 UTC
Hans Momaki wrote:
Not sure if serious.

Your "Idea" would kill any constructive discussion. Bad comments would get deleted, good ones supported. This is no base for discussion.

No, just no.

Edit: Mods are there for a reason.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#4 - 2012-01-31 03:04:51 UTC
Yeah this would allow for too much selective moderating.

What needs to happen is for CCP to have a team of volunteers to moderate... oh wait...
Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-01-31 04:08:32 UTC
Hans Momaki wrote:
Not sure if serious.

Im quite serious. Yes, it's a double edged sword but it would make for a more civil and friendly forum environment.

Corina Jarr wrote:
Yeah this would allow for too much selective moderating.

That is why no all sections would apply....Like I said.

It would be up to CCP to decide which sections of the forum require full community input and which ones are just trolling grounds.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#6 - 2012-01-31 04:14:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Corina Jarr
Let me explain exactly what would happen.

Person A makes a ridiculously stupid thread in GD about something (lets say removing all of Concord and making a button that anyone can press to eject someone from a station).

Person B, and C, and D post very calm and constructive thoughts on why this is bad.

Person E says its a great idea.

Person A deletes the posts of those that disagreed with him.

It removes any sort of thread integrity, no matter what section this is done in.

If you need more examples, just ask, and I will provide.
LeHarfang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-01-31 04:17:04 UTC
Mods have to stay neutral in the discussion, like it has been said. Their job is to moderate, not censor.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#8 - 2012-01-31 04:26:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Serge Bastana
Op is just upset about posts made in response to hers on other threads. The sense of entitlement is stifling.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-01-31 04:39:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Nooma K'Larr
Serge Bastana wrote:
Op is just upset about posts made in response to hers on other threads. The sense of entitlement is stifling.

Thanks for proving my point. Roll

More off topic banter please.

EDIT: Hiding your posts. (Love this feature) Twisted
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#10 - 2012-01-31 04:42:44 UTC
It's not off topic at all, I'm merely discussing your motivations for wanting this change. You opened this thread, it is a forum after all.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

LeHarfang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-01-31 04:52:57 UTC
Serge Bastana wrote:
It's not off topic at all, I'm merely discussing your motivations for wanting this change. You opened this thread, it is a forum after all.

Motivations dont matter, only the topic at hand.
Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-01-31 05:04:44 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Let me explain exactly what would happen.

Person A makes a ridiculously stupid thread in GD about something (lets say removing all of Concord and making a button that anyone can press to eject someone from a station).

Person B, and C, and D post very calm and constructive thoughts on why this is bad.

Person E says its a great idea.

Person A deletes the posts of those that disagreed with him.

It removes any sort of thread integrity, no matter what section this is done in.

If you need more examples, just ask, and I will provide.

You forget that in such a case, opposing views can be posted in an entirely new thread. You will have a forum with pro/con threads so eventually everyone's voice (except the trolls) will be heard.
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-01-31 05:07:59 UTC
it leads to more dumb threads like this one

no thanks!

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-01-31 05:13:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Nooma K'Larr
Andski wrote:
it leads to more dumb threads like this one

no thanks!

But imagine being able to delete "dumb" replies like yours which added nothing to the topic nor explained how.

BTW, who made you lord and master of EVE forum topics by declaring them "dumb?" Big smile

Imagine that..a Goon calling others dumb. Oh the irony.Lol
LeHarfang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-01-31 05:18:45 UTC
It's already in the rules that insults and disrespectful comments arent allowed. There just is'nt enough mods active in here.
Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-01-31 05:23:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Nooma K'Larr
LeHarfang wrote:
It's already in the rules that insults and disrespectful comments arent allowed. There just is'nt enough mods active in here.

Especially on weekends.

The problem is people will hide behind -I was just stating my opinion- excuse, when it's just blatant trolling. You can give an opinion without being insulting, and if you cant then your comments will be deleted anyway instead of waiting on mods to play parent.

How often have I read a mod comment that basically said..."play nice now children."

My idea puts the children to bed early so the adults can talk.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#17 - 2012-01-31 05:36:34 UTC
Not supported for the reasons specified above.

"Civil" discourse comes to people who can take criticism... regardless of the form it takes... and work with it. Looking through your posts/threads, you do nothing but pontificate your views and refuse to acknowledge thoughts, facts, and experiences that run counter to your own.
Nooma K'Larr
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-01-31 05:39:16 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

"Civil" discourse comes to people who can take criticism... regardless of the form it takes...

There is a difference between taking criticism and taking insults.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#19 - 2012-01-31 06:24:25 UTC
Nooma K'Larr wrote:
There is a difference between taking criticism and taking insults.

Poh-tay-toe... poh-tah-toe... Roll
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#20 - 2012-01-31 06:26:24 UTC
Someone made a post contradicting my utterly moronic idea. Time to delete it, can't have people criticising me.
12Next page