These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Self Destruct should still generate a Killmail if players were involved .

Author
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#41 - 2012-01-30 19:21:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Klezmer wrote:
seany1212 wrote:
I think what's being discussed here is self-destructing knowing that you'll pop before hostiles pop you and not giving up any modules in a drop, I'll agree that capitals need a long SD timer as 2 minutes is nothing unless your blobfesting the ship. Your telling me you could get all the crew off a super in 2 minutes? P

No one cares about the crew, just let them die.

Takes the crew 2 minutes to set the charges and then get into thier pods. Super caps have a 90% survival rate due to armored and shielded compartments and plenty of room for escape pods in all various departments. Unlike a frigate where the closest thing to an escape pod they have IS the airlock and a space suit. Also catastropic damage to a frigate typicaly rips the ship in half.

Smaller the ship more likely the crew will majority die.

Either way self destructing is a really old tatic back form the days of wind. Bottom line of this purpos was to deny enemy the capture of the ship but that was in an age where sinking a ship was simply not that possible. As weapons got better it eventually started evolving to deny the enemy the salvage of the ship as well of any intel and or technologies as well as denying any possible repaired use of the ship.

Now we are in an age where ship destruction happens so fast we no longe rbother with boarding parties or space marines to take over ships. However the ship can still contain valuable materials and salvagables any sensible captian knowing that the ship is going down would deny the enemy any afforded advantage his ships death would result in.

Either way you dont get credit for the kill.

Just like the entire british navy at the time didnt get credit for sinking the Bismark, evidence show the germans self sank it after it was beaten to a still repairable pulp.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Indeterminacy
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-01-30 19:22:26 UTC
Night Epoch wrote:
Old, oft-repeated request - but worthy of another repeat.

If players have damaged a ship that has self destructed, a killmail should be generated.

It's absolutely rage inducing to have a Dreadnought in structure when it self destructs.

+1 if agreed.

+1

Woulda had the first super kill of 2012 if not for self-destruct.
Nephilius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-01-30 19:24:18 UTC
Nope. You should plan ahead. bring enough DPS to do the job or you don't deserve the KM.

You are entitled to nothing. Remember that.
"If."
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-01-30 19:59:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Aqriue
Night Epoch wrote:
butthurt Oops

Protip: Killmails have absolutely **** at all no effect on actual gameplay. Wow, betcha didn't know that.

You getting denied a KM, is like you ganking a hulk and winning... hulk pilot got denied his ship and it was his pride to be able to fly it. You denied a possible super cap kill...is like getting denied the pride of claiming the kill. Now your whining to CCP to fix your problem, but if the hulk pilot asked to have highsec safe you would just tell him to HTFU...now you just have to relize you are the loser and HTFU a capship exploded in your face without you getting the killing blow.

Here is another Pro-tip: You undock, assume all fights are shorter then 2 minutes because of SD. You know about SD, so you are at fault for not destroying it inside of 119 seconds by planning accordingly to have enough DPS or a titan on standby...if neither is possible either accept that the ship will vaporize or....just let the guy go while saying in local "I didn't want your KM anyway." Hey, it might work Shocked
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#45 - 2012-01-30 20:07:14 UTC
I thought it be more like the hulk started to gank you back faster and you ejected because you dont want to have everyone know that a hulk kicked your posterior.

Kessiaan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2012-01-30 20:42:58 UTC
There's no legit gameplay reason to be against this. The only reasons people SD are specifically to deny KMs to gangs which can't do 2 million damage in 2 minutes (which is everything short of a hotdrop) and to conceal the fact that they lost a cap.
Thomas Abernathy
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#47 - 2012-01-30 20:50:09 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Yahrr wrote:

If you mean that the timers should be longer for bigger ships then I fully agree. The same goes for the re-dock timers. But if you fail to kill the target within that timeframe, then you shouldn't get a killmail!

I disagree. The battle to kill a supercap can be a long, drawn out thing. A super can know it won't ever make it off grid 20+ minutes before it has taken a single point of damage. "Get out of lossmail free" cards simply shouldn't exist.

OHNO, MY K:D RATIO! Cultural victory right there.

On a more serious note; why are killmails so important?

If you don't understand why KM's are important, then you stand no chance in our current culture....Shocked

"Fighting CCD since 2139"

Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-01-30 20:56:30 UTC
Kessiaan wrote:
There's no legit gameplay reason to be against this. The only reasons people SD are specifically to deny KMs to gangs which can't do 2 million damage in 2 minutes (which is everything short of a hotdrop) and to conceal the fact that they lost a cap.

Wrong.

Unless something has changed, self destructing has a 0% chance to drop modules as loot. On top of this, it denies the enemy intelligence on your fit. These are perfectly good reasons to want to self destruct.

If you want to stroke your e-peen, want the loot, or want the intelligence then bring enough ships to do the job properly.
Jita Alt666
#49 - 2012-01-30 21:28:25 UTC
Taedrin wrote:

Unless something has changed, self destructing has a 0% chance to drop modules as loot. On top of this, it denies the enemy intelligence on your fit. These are perfectly good reasons to want to self destruct.

If you want to stroke your e-peen, want the loot, or want the intelligence then bring enough ships to do the job properly.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, however your last sentence is essentially: Blob more.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#50 - 2012-01-30 22:32:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Joe SMASH wrote:
Once SD is pressed, you have two minutes to kill the target. If you cannot kill within 2 min of button pushed, you do not deserve a killmail.

THIS.

Too bad if they self destruct or eject on you. I ALWAYS Eject under Gank circumstances.

I'm not here to pad the KB's of A$$hats in High Sec Ganks, only War Decs and LEGITIMATE PvP.

.....and the QQ mail and Local after Ejecting are hilarious glory-osity.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Tyslas
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2012-01-30 23:11:29 UTC
Initiate self destruct -> all resists goto 0.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#52 - 2012-01-30 23:33:16 UTC
If anything if you press SD everything should start to overheat and heat up one at a time which eventually does destroy all the modules in 2 minutes time the big red button does when pressed.

Avid Bumhumper
Beekeepers Anonymous
#53 - 2012-01-31 01:59:06 UTC
Worst....Idea....Ever.....

The mechanic should be, if agressed, you cannot initiate self-destruct.

At least that might generate more fights. If you know you can't pansy out and self destruct, you may as well try and kill something...Cool

My Tinfoil hat has been sugically implanted, so no,it is not for sale.....

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#54 - 2012-01-31 14:33:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
This topic is useless........BUT IT'S FANTASTIC QQ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big smile

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-01-31 19:45:38 UTC
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Taedrin wrote:

I agree with the sentiment of your post, however your last sentence is essentially: Blob more.

Love it or hate it, blobs are integral part of EVE's gameplay. They are here to stay until CCP makes fundamental changes to EVE's gameplay. Adding killmails to self destructs aren't going to change this fact, hence the response.
Previous page123