These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Vexor fitting for mission running.

Author
Cerebro
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-01-28 12:15:37 UTC
I need help with with fitting my Vexor for mission running/ratting. Been away for some time. But since they added scalable interface I can finally play this game and see what im doing. :)

Should I use railguns or blasters with drones? Is it better adding some armor instead of damage mods? Would be nice if I survived if I get jumped by someone.

-Thanks
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-01-28 12:57:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Frank Millar
Depends entirely where you plan to do your missioning and ratting, tbh.

"Typical" HiSec Mission Fit in Gallente Space:

[Vexor, New Setup 1]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

10MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Drone Link Augmentor I
200mm Prototype Gauss Gun, Antimatter Charge M

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

Change Guns, Ammo, Hardeners and Drones to taste.
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-01-28 13:40:08 UTC
I'd concur with the above poster.

The Vexor fit with rails and an AB to keep range and dictate transversal will be fine for level 2's and level 3's (although, can be tricky).

Handy thing about the Vex is the drones, take a flight of meds and lights, set the lights on the elite frigs (or plink them from range with the rails), mediums for everything else.
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#4 - 2012-01-28 18:47:03 UTC
Just letting you know, anyship with 75 drone bw (like the vexor) will get max damage from a drone flight of 2 heavies, 2 mediums, and a light, or the 2-2-1.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Lili Lu
#5 - 2012-01-28 22:25:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Lili Lu
Kilrayn wrote:
Just letting you know, anyship with 75 drone bw (like the vexor) will get max damage from a drone flight of 2 heavies, 2 mediums, and a light, or the 2-2-1.

That would be for pvp on a BC or BS sized ship and at close range. In missions you don't want to be dropping medium drones on frigate sized rats. And, for that matter you don't want to wait for heavys to travel to any frigs that aren't right on top of you.

Otherwise, good advice in this thread. I would add that sometimes in level 2s, if you are a rather new player and your skills are not so developed, this is one situation where plates actually can make sense for pve. The lows can be fit with a dc, mar, resist mod, and plate of whatever size you can fit after everything else (400 or 800). The reason being that if you mess up a trigger and your repper is getting overwhelmed it will give you some extra time via raw hp buffer to either knock down the incoming dps to stabile tank, or to gtfo if need be.

Also, in some missions you can put the drones on aggressive and not bother targeting anything. This of course means no respawns as they would likely eat your drones. Also, you will probably still need to target a ship and shoot every so often to get aggro on your ship from specific rat groups before releasing the drones. Read up on the mission before you go in to know whether the groups will aggro drones.
Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-01-29 04:41:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrett
Frank Millar wrote:
Depends entirely where you plan to do your missioning and ratting, tbh.

"Typical" HiSec Mission Fit in Gallente Space:

[Vexor, New Setup 1]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

10MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Drone Link Augmentor I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5

Change Guns, Ammo, Hardeners and Drones to taste.

I dont have EFT here with me, and it has literally been years since I flew a vexor in PVE, but I think I remember my fit differently. I think the Vexor is one of the ships where a medium (maybe large?) capacitor battery (not booster) works better in the mids. I think you can swap it out for one of the cap recharger II. Now, that was way back in the day before rigs were cheap enough to put on cruisers, so the CCCs might change that, but try to fit the cap battery in the mids and see how that works. Otherwise, this fit looks perfect.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-01-29 08:58:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Frank Millar
Trying to fit a medium cap battery on it leaves me massively short on grid and cpu, which in turn would force me to adapt the entire setup.

According to EFT, above fit is cap stable at 42% with my skills, and somewhat better with all 5's. It's perfectly fine. Smile
Cerebro
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-01-29 17:08:20 UTC
Thanks for all the help. Should I use different drones on different rats or should I just mix them?
MisterNick
The Sagan Clan
#9 - 2012-01-29 17:24:27 UTC
Cerebro wrote:
Thanks for all the help. Should I use different drones on different rats or should I just mix them?

Usual rule is use Gallente drones on everything except Angel Cartel, where you use Minmatar ones instead.

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Cerebro
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-01-30 18:25:01 UTC
Will heavy/medium drones not hit frigates because they have to slow tracking speed?
Aestivalis Saidrian
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#11 - 2012-01-30 19:02:45 UTC
Once frigates settle into orbits, with Drone Tracking skill + Omnidirectional, Heavies will **** frigates. Dead serious. Go lookit an Ogre II's tracking, then go look at frigate autocannon tracking. Pirate
Cerebro
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-01-30 20:36:58 UTC
So there is no reason in using light drones on a cruiser? You could use medium and heavy for everything?
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#13 - 2012-01-30 20:48:06 UTC
You can, but I've found I had better luck killing everything with sentries and then releasing lights. Heavies can **** frigates up, but this is primarily because they "fall behind" and get really low transversal. This is why webbing a frigate you're shooting with drones is usually a bad idea. Despite the fact that heavies have pretty fantastic tracking, they've still got pretty bad sig resolution vs frigates.

Also, someone has done some (as yet unpublished) research concerning drone tracking which suggests they don't actually track as well as might be assumed. If they don't publish soon I'm going to have to do it myself - which isn't that big of a deal.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-01-31 01:13:50 UTC
To further what Liang has said, despite everything, heavies generally suck at dealing with Elite frigates in a timely manner (they'll swallow normal frigs without blinking though). They hit occasionally, but it's far better to have lights whittling down their normally quickly regenerating armour/shield than to have heavies knock off big chunks every now and again.
Bent Barrel
#15 - 2012-01-31 07:08:04 UTC
drone setup depends on what you are doing (if the rats start close or far away).

for missions I mostly use 3 wardens and 5 hobgoblins. but that gives little variety or spare drones. for general exploration I take 5 hammerheads and 10 hobgoblins (5 main, 5 spare).

you can't do much about the lows. armor rep, 2 rat specific hardeners, damage control or magstab (depends on taste and highslots).

the rest needs an AB and then it's up to the leftover grid/cpu and cap/gunnery skills. I go completely drones with exploration highs (probe launcher, tractor, salvager, small remote armor rep, DLA).
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#16 - 2012-01-31 10:04:42 UTC
Last time I grinded some standings with Vexor was with lows full of cargo expanders and high slots full of miners. Big smile
With gallente cruiser V and maxed drone skills it would had been a miracle to die on lvl 2 mission ... Bear

So train those t2 light drones with drone interfacing V and gal cruiser V and dying in lvl 2 is going demand effort from your part.

In lvl 3 however you need an actual fitting for the ship to complete them if you can do those in T1 cruiser at all.
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#17 - 2012-02-01 16:14:28 UTC
Cerebro wrote:
So there is no reason in using light drones on a cruiser? You could use medium and heavy for everything?

It's actually mediums that have little to no use. Once you get a larger drone boat (drone capacity and bw wise), you should only carry heavies and lights. Mediums don't hit as hard as heavies and don't hit elite frigs like light drones will.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#18 - 2012-02-01 16:16:08 UTC
Lili Lu wrote:
Kilrayn wrote:

That would be for pvp on a BC or BS sized ship and at close range. In missions you don't want to be dropping medium drones on frigate sized rats. And, for that matter you don't want to wait for heavys to travel to any frigs that aren't right on top of you.

Otherwise, good advice in this thread. I would add that sometimes in level 2s, if you are a rather new player and your skills are not so developed, this is one situation where plates actually can make sense for pve. The lows can be fit with a dc, mar, resist mod, and plate of whatever size you can fit after everything else (400 or 800). The reason being that if you mess up a trigger and your repper is getting overwhelmed it will give you some extra time via raw hp buffer to either knock down the incoming dps to stabile tank, or to gtfo if need be.

Also, in some missions you can put the drones on aggressive and not bother targeting anything. This of course means no respawns as they would likely eat your drones. Also, you will probably still need to target a ship and shoot every so often to get aggro on your ship from specific rat groups before releasing the drones. Read up on the mission before you go in to know whether the groups will aggro drones.

Also yes, you should not use the 2-2-1 on frigs. Vexor should have 25 capacity left for a full flight of lights.