These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Events and Gatherings Archive

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Help: Fanfest 2012 Hotel Trouble

First post
Author
Rhapsodae
Bedlam Escapees
Apocalypse Now.
#1 - 2011-12-29 09:55:43 UTC
I've been trying to book a hotel for a while now, and I have been doing so via the fanfestpage > hotel link.

I wanted to book from march 20th to 27th. aiming for one of the more cheap hotels that offer 59€ per night, double room, and 1 night off wwhen booked with fanfest link. So staying 6 (7:-1 free) night should cost 354€ ex. tourist costs etc.

But the cheapest hotel they have start with a pricing of 120€ starting night. more hotels give me prices like 913.3€ or even 1800'
Am i the only one that doesn't understand this system ?

I did have an extensive email conversation with the lobby, but all they can send me is a list of information for the booking instead of clearing this up.
defiler
Mad Hermit
Wayward Alliance
#2 - 2011-12-29 15:44:55 UTC
Was a bit puzzled by this myself, but I guess many of the rooms in those hotels are reserved for us capsuleer folk, and they offer the remaining ones with supply/demand pricing...

Just to clear something up here - you did use the mailto: link on the fanfest hotel offers page, right? And got offered a hideously expensive room? In that case I guess that hotel's fully booked, or someone on the other end wasn't aware of this offer...
If you didn't, then there's your problem. If you did, then... I honestly don't know, but I'd probably try sending them another one, and if that doesn't work try another hotel. Though the best would be if you could get a straight answer to the question "do you have any fanfest rooms left or not?" first.

As for me, I just sent a reservation and wrote in the comment that I'd call them with credit card info once they'd confirmed they had a room for the advertised fanfest price. They did - €320 for 6 nights at Plaza, compared to over €1500 if I had used the regular booking.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vilianis
Ghost Net Industrialists
Northern Coalition.
#3 - 2012-01-02 14:37:36 UTC
K, Im too lazy to do the math..but it looks like it is cheaper to book all via Iceland Air as they include the Airport-Hotel Shuttle, Extra Add-On's and multiple night hotel bookings.

Has anyone done the comparisson between booking all inclusive (meals, booze etc not inlcuded) or booking flights, hotels and extras seperate?

If I see no reply on this soon..I will do the math and post.....sigh.

Cheers
Vil
defiler
Mad Hermit
Wayward Alliance
#4 - 2012-01-02 17:20:29 UTC  |  Edited by: defiler
Hadn't done the math, booked my trip before the packages went live. Turns out none of the hotels I'd like to stay at are available in the Swedish package anyway, so...

Still, I'm bored, so here we go. Smile

Looks like the extras (shuttle, Golden circle and Blue lagoon) cost the same whether you get them separate or as part of the Icelandair package, so the only thing you have to compare is flight and hotel. Could be wrong, but don't think there's more than a $5 difference or so, and that's hardly worth arguing about.

Which will end up cheaper probably depends on your choice of dates and hotels, so there's no definite answer there. I did do one check though, 6 nights from/to Boston and then the package deal ended up being about $70 cheaper than getting flight and hotel separate (with fanfest discount for the hotel). YMMV, so you'll have to do the math yourself I'm afraid.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Warzon3
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-01-06 23:47:03 UTC
personally I'm gonna book a city trip for 6 days. Hotel+flight costs me 600 euro's and the hotel will be about 800-900 meters from harpa. Using the icelandair deal I also get 600 euro but the hotel will be further from harpa then.

I'm just sad that I'm going alone would be done for 400 euro total otherwise.
Rhapsodae
Bedlam Escapees
Apocalypse Now.
#6 - 2012-01-10 16:28:16 UTC
Im still getting frustrated about this way of booking at the Centre Hotels.

Where do i see the (correct) amount to be paid when booking?

When I use the Center Hotel site, it doesnt calculate it as Evefest. So your paying 1800/2345 € for a weeks stay.

When I click on Hotel Reservation Link, via the eve site, its an instant reservation sheet to be filled by email. Doesn't say what you will be spending. And i am too wary to use this option cus i want to know beforehand what it is gonna cost me before they have my creditcard info. Especially when its a no refund booking.

And when emailing for information and pricecheck per hotel, you get a single link back to the online booking from the website itself accompanied by a reservation form by email.

i emailed them one last time, with a plea to make sense out of all this and tell me the pricetag. If they end up emailing me another reservation form they can shove it.
Adonis Lee Ongrard
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-01-19 19:50:22 UTC
Rhapsodae wrote:
Where do i see the (correct) amount to be paid when booking?

i emailed them one last time, with a plea to make sense out of all this and tell me the pricetag. If they end up emailing me another reservation form they can shove it.

Did you get this resolved? If not, do this:

defiler wrote:
As for me, I just sent a reservation and wrote in the comment that I'd call them with credit card info once they'd confirmed they had a room for the advertised fanfest price. They did - €320 for 6 nights at Plaza, compared to over €1500 if I had used the regular booking.
Rhapsodae
Bedlam Escapees
Apocalypse Now.
#8 - 2012-01-20 16:27:43 UTC
I kinda didn't I left it and will find an alternative next month. I do know that it's their way of working 'cus a friend of mine asked the same stuff and got a straight answer. Guess I just hit the "Stoopit-Shift"
captain kikaz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-01-26 17:49:33 UTC
we have done it all seperate, and used a different hotel chain as we could get it cheaper that way.

The packages are a good idea but IMO not always the best prices available. we managed to get 2 of us to iceland with hotel for 7 night for &£700.
Adonis Lee Ongrard
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-01-27 09:21:30 UTC
They probably chose Center Hotels because they offer a range of rates as well as several locations that are within easy walking distance of Harpa and the shopping/nightlife. Or who knows ... maybe Center Hotels was the only one willing to do package deals this year. In any case, I'm happy staying at Center Hotel Arnarhvoll -- it's right across from Harpa and I didn't mind paying a bit more for that convenience.

And yes, there will always be lower prices to be found if you know where to look, for those who are slaves to the almighty **insert local currency name here**. The packages aren't meant to be the lowest of the low -- they're meant to be a good hotel in a good location at a good price. And in that, they succeed.
Johnson 1044
Johnson Organic Produce
#11 - 2012-01-28 20:36:08 UTC
Yeah i'm not too stoked on how this Hotel stuff is working out. The registration for the Eve Fest package is handled via email rather than a secure form which is kind of crazy. I went ahead and (stupidly) sent the email with my reservation request and CC info and got no response. I followed up a day later with another email and still no response. I'll give them a call on Monday and I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just used to hotel booking here in the states being dead simple.
ISD Eshtir
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#12 - 2012-01-29 17:09:05 UTC
I am sorry to hear some of you have issues booking an hotel room. There is also the fanfestsupport@eveonline.com email adress, maybe the CCP folks can help you out. It is worth a try.

ISD Eshtir

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons

Interstellar Services Department

Johnson 1044
Johnson Organic Produce
#13 - 2012-01-30 18:28:07 UTC
It took them four days to get back to me but it seems everything is good now.
babymuncho
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-02-01 23:01:22 UTC
Sleep in an economy rental car like a real capsuleer. Shower at the local Subway.