These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Modules: Active Weapon Enhancers

Author
Callic Veratar
#1 - 2012-01-29 22:56:51 UTC
I had an idea for a new set of specialized weapon modification modules that could be used to modify a wide variety of stats on every class of weapon. Like a Damage Control, they would be limited to one per ship to prevent things from getting too crazy, and occupy a mid slot using moderate CPU and PG.

To use the module, when in space, the pilot would have to activate the module, as opposed to it being passive, taking about as much cap as an Invulnerability Field. This is enough that it can be disabled with neuts, but not so much that you need several mods to support it's operation. While active an effect charge needs to be loaded into the module, this will confer a large bonus and an opposing penalty to some of the weapon's stats.

Every time a weapon of the same type as the enhancer is activated, there is a chance that the effect charge will take damage, in the same way as T2 Crystals. Each meta level of module would do less base damage than a lower meta level while the class of weapon used increases the chance and amount of damage.

The idea is a weapon enhancer on a frigate using rockets could gain a benefit for a weekend of use on a single charge while a TItan firing capital artillery might need a dozen in a single engagement.

There are a couple methods that the modules could be implemented. First is that each class of weapon gets it's own set of boosters. Missiles, projectiles, lasers, and hybrids each get one chain of modules and they can equip any booster you choose. This adds flexibility of what you want to use and allows new boosters to be added fairly easily. Second is that each type of booster needs a unique enhancer. Essentially the opposite of the first option, which fixes fittings and promotes diversity within a fleet.

The second option could pave the way for the introduction of the first T3 modules that allows any charge to be activated within a single module.

Here are some ideas I've had for potential charges:
Missiles:
- Increase Flight Time/Reduce RoF
- Increase Flight Speed/Reduce Flight Time
- Increase Damage/Reduce Flight Time

Hybrids
- Increase Falloff/Reduce Damage
- Increase Optimal/Reduce Tracking

Projectile
- Increase Damage/Reduce Falloff
- Increase RoF/Reduce Tracking

Laser
- Change Thermal to EXP
- Increase Tracking/Decrease RoF

They could be build with some of of everything (PI, Gas, and Minerals) and ensure that there's another consumable resource needed in combat other than ammo.
Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#2 - 2012-01-30 00:50:37 UTC
This seems a little unnecessary when we already have damage mods and rigs. It's just a mid slot damage mod with draw backs, although the mid slot mod for missile flight time/speed could be interesting.

Anyway, if it's just a mid slot damage mod then no.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Callic Veratar
#3 - 2012-01-30 04:41:24 UTC
The idea is that it does more than the standard lowslot mods. The T2 gyro is a 10% damage boost and a 10.5% RoF boost. This single module could potentially add a 50% damage boost with a 20% RoF penalty, but it can only be used as long as you have the charge and enough cap. Using it as a pure damage booster isn't really what I was looking for, though.

Other different trade-offs, like making blasters operate like ACs or artillery like rails. Changing damage types on hybrids or lasers. The idea is to allow weapons to be more flexible without making them all do the exactly same thing out of the box.

CCP could issue "Test" chargers on Sisi that make a weapon system function like it would before and after balancing, so they could be sent against each other to determine if it's better or worse the way things have changed.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2012-01-30 04:47:10 UTC
Why?

And, no, "Just to screw with everything" is not a valid answer.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-01-30 06:44:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but did you even think about his idea before you replied?

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Misanthra
Alternative Enterprises
#6 - 2012-01-30 07:30:06 UTC
most of your bonuses are covered by implants. Splurge for pvp if it means that much (the non 5%'s not too bad). And for pve...these are jsut as vital as any mods you run on the ship imo. Pod goes boom...even meets your use of resources part. Lose 3%'s....go buy some more lol.

Laser changing damage type....no. Amarr > rest or so they say, your em/thermal a part of that decision to be amarr.
Callic Veratar
#7 - 2012-01-30 14:52:26 UTC
Yes, all the modifications are covered by rigs or implants or other modules. The idea is to add a new vector to allow these changes that don't require the destruction of 10M isk rigs/a second ship or 5M isk implants/a clone and 24h to swap.

A couple of these in your cargo could change allow a ship to be more flexible in it's role, with the trade off of losing a valuable mid slot to something else.

Yes, the Amarr way is to shoot EM/Therm Lasers out of Armour tanked ships. However, both the Blood Raiders and Sansha use lasers as their primary weapon systems, so while the Amarr may not support it, the pirate factions might.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-02-03 19:39:39 UTC
Bump

Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-02-03 19:54:49 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but did you even think about his idea before you replied?

I thought about it before I typed this...

And what you are asking for are Tracking Computers, and they are already in the game. Adding a passive mod to missles is beyond ridiculous and would call for more nerfing of imbalanced 'missle boats' (read: Drakes and Tengus).

Also- if you add a mod that reduces rate of fire and dramatically increases damage, all you did was make Suicide gankers an easily exploitable toy and overpowered Alpha Fleet doctrines. Before you reply to this, please take into account what this module will do in PvE by a solo player, in solo pvp, in small gang pvp, and in instances where you have 2 'Fleets' shooting at each other each over 1000 strong.

In the meantime, No.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-02-03 19:57:43 UTC
Xolve wrote:
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:

And what you are asking for are Tracking Computers, and they are already in the game. Adding a passive mod to missles is beyond ridiculous and would call for more nerfing of imbalanced 'missle boats' (read: Drakes and Tengus).

Also- if you add a mod that reduces rate of fire and dramatically increases damage, all you did was make Suicide gankers an easily exploitable toy and overpowered Alpha Fleet doctrines. Before you reply to this, please take into account what this module will do in PvE by a solo player, in solo pvp, in small gang pvp, and in instances where you have 2 'Fleets' shooting at each other each over 1000 strong.

In the meantime, No.

I wasn't talking to you.

Daeva Teresa
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-02-03 20:06:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Daeva Teresa
This would in use with new tech 3 BC mean alpha-strike hell. Also would wreck whole ship balance (that is really bad atm, but would make it worse). Yes it would make you swap bonuses on the fly, no need to dock, refit. Would make your BC easy strong agains frigates or BS. Im really sure we dont need this. This game really shouldnt be about one ship for all circumstances / easy, fast and cheap refit / reconfiguration. We already have T3 SC that can do almost anything, given the time for reconfiguration. With this, any ship could easy change its usefulness. Sorry, but no, thanks. It may be great idea but given the bigger picture and how would players abuse this to hell, its a no go.

CCP really please dont use Upgraded, Limited, Experimental and Prototype in item names. It sounds like the item is actually worse than basic meta 1 item. Use Calibrated, Enhanced, Optimized and Upgraded. Its really easy to understand that the item is better than meta 1 and its also in alphabetic order.

Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2012-02-03 20:10:06 UTC
Daeva Teresa wrote:
This would in use with new tech 3 BC mean alpha-strike hell.

Will literally trade a Nyx for a Tech III Battlecruiser.
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2012-02-03 20:11:35 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Xolve wrote:
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:

I wasn't talking to you.

If you're mad, just say you're mad.
Callic Veratar
#14 - 2012-02-05 06:56:52 UTC
Damage mods may not be the best use of this module as there already are a bunch in existence. Fiddling with the other numbers is more of my goal here as the only module based bonuses missiles get is for damage. The idea of the charge system is that missiles require more than just a bit of PG and CPU to fly longer.

An alternative to having a single module with multiple varieties of charge is multiple modules with a few closely related charge type each. That way, a fitting is dedicated on undock, but still allows the idea to exist.

I have considered that it would have an effect on PVP and PVE differently. Of course it affects PVP, that's the goal, but it has drawbacks and can be remotely disabled via neuting. When it comes to PVE, it's not so straight forward. The idea with the charges is that they're not trivially expensive, maybe a few million to produce one. The goal here is to make the charges expensive enough that it will eat into a significant portion of a mission runner's profit, especially if they have to use 2-3 charges per mission.