These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Deeds

Author
Jack Longings
EVE BR Nation
#1 - 2012-01-29 21:03:30 UTC
Like i saw in others MMOs, we could use Deeds for bonuses, like AU, skill points, isks, bpc, etc.

Ex: Kill 100 Blood Raiders Oracle, Scan 100 WH, Mine 1bi veldspar, Kill 100 pods, etc.

In each Deed completed the payler could gain the bonus and a Medal.

This idea can be very explored or just discarted Roll
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#2 - 2012-01-29 21:25:32 UTC
If you search for achievements you'll see that it's been suggested before and it's been explained that such things are easily farmed. There's enough farming going on in EVE at the moment and we definitely won't see it for skill points, that goes against everything that is EVE.

Those ideas belong in other MMO's and thankfully do not belong in EVE, this game is different in many ways to them, which is why a lot of the people that play it do so.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2012-01-29 21:32:25 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
I'm on the fence about achievements.

On one hand... they don't really add to gameplay and the nature of EVE's design is that you are supposed to come up with your own goals and achievements (thus, reinforcing your own "want" to play the game). Plus, you'll have people "grinding" to achieve achievements instead of doing something "useful" because...well... some people just have the compulsion.

On the other hand... it really does helps people who lack their own creativity and ability to set goals. Plus, it's fairly benign when achievements do not actually give anything outside of a medal/bragging rights.

Drop the "rewards"/"bonuses" aspect and your idea might fly.
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#4 - 2012-01-29 21:39:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Serge Bastana
ShahFluffers wrote:

On one hand... they don't really add to gameplay and the nature of EVE's design is that you are supposed to come up with your own goals and achievements (thus, reinforcing your own "want" to play the game). Plus, you'll have people "grinding" to achieve achievements because...well... some people just have the compulsion.

On the other hand... it really does helps people who lack their own creativity and ability to set goals. Plus, it's fairly benign when achievements do not actually give anything outside of a medal/bragging rights.

We have certificates in that case, they act as a guide for skills to train, which is what I'm telling some new players in our corp at the moment, and they give you that little *ding* feeling when you are awarded one, if you need that sort of thing.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Misanthra
Alternative Enterprises
#5 - 2012-01-29 22:55:25 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

this....

want to be known as the killer of 1000000 blood rats and it makes you feel all giddy like a schoolgirl, why not. Just have it so it can be turned off is all for those that don't want it.

No rewards for mob kill spamming. KIlls get you isk, isk lets you buy fun stuff like implants. Right implant combo gets you real good at killing stuff. Shoot for the 5%'s, in many cases its like having an extra level (or pushes you into an imaginary level 6 if maxed at 5 already lol).

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#6 - 2012-01-29 23:56:45 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

On one hand... they don't really add to gameplay and the nature of EVE's design is that you are supposed to come up with your own goals and achievements (thus, reinforcing your own "want" to play the game). Plus, you'll have people "grinding" to achieve achievements because...well... some people just have the compulsion.

This. I don't think achievements are bad in and of themselves. I think that some people enjoy having something specific to work towards (and not just skills checked off like certs do. As long as it's purely a pride thing (maybe gives you a Medal to display), I see no real harm in them. They will never have rewards, as it should be, but just for a short-term goal isn't bad.

BTW, I'm not sure why you said "Like i saw in others MMOs", just say "Like they have in LotRO", we know that's what you meant.
Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#7 - 2012-01-30 01:48:38 UTC
In a way we have this already. Do missions, kill a lot of rats. As a bonus you may get a faction module or ship. When you gain a security status of 9.99 everyone else can look at you in awe. The only thing we don't have is the medal.

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

Cpt Bogus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-01-30 02:17:42 UTC
If you ask me, achievements are the bane of modern gaming. But I seem to be in the minority...
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-01-30 02:56:27 UTC
Hey, maybe this is a role for aurum. Chuck people a few hundred for doing something a few hundred times.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#10 - 2012-01-30 08:58:39 UTC
Cpt Bogus wrote:
If you ask me, achievements are the bane of modern gaming. But I seem to be in the minority...

Have to agree with you....!

OP: if you want a medal for being so uber that you can kill 100 rats then ask your CEO for one. They are already in game.

Hell, maybe you could even do it yorself if you really believe in your idea and are willing to do a bit of work rather than asking CCP to do it. Set up your own corp, and invite people in who want to play AchiEVEments Online. Then create some medals and work out a way to track your members progress and award them the medals when they reach the goal. Maybe you could have a 'special' one called 'awarded 100 medals' that only you could get and you could use it to win Eve.

As for Skill Point bonuses... you need to biomas if you think this is a good idea.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.