These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Allow both point and comma as delimiter in price field

Author
Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#1 - 2012-01-27 02:32:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr M
Basically if you type in 10,56 or 10.56 the price field should accept both variants as 10 ISK and 56 KSI. Would make things a whole lot easier for the people living in those parts of the world that don't use point. I know you can change it but I would like both to work at the same time.

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#2 - 2012-01-29 03:21:26 UTC
On my old ore calculator I made it change any commas in the input to a point and gave error if there were more than one point in the input string.

Share your experience

www.eve-tribune.com

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-01-29 03:39:23 UTC
As a programmer, from a parsing standpoint, I'm looking at that and thinking that it would be a pain to have to support both at once. Because of the ways strings are parsed into ints, it is enormously helpful not to have ambiguous input. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm wondering how many people really need both at the same time.
sHERU
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-01-29 03:41:33 UTC
Have a setting in the client dictating what preference the user has.

How hard can that be?
Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#5 - 2012-01-29 03:59:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr M
mxzf wrote:
from a parsing standpoint, I'm looking at that and thinking that it would be a pain to have to support both at once.

Well, it depends. If you only allow 11000,00 or 11000.00 it's not that hard. That's why it gives an error if there's more than one comma or point. 11,000.00 is sure nice to look at but you don't need to support that input (I think).

You only have to check for more than one delimiter and more than two decimals. If it's the later the person probably tries to use the comma/point as a thousand separator.

Share your experience

www.eve-tribune.com

LeHarfang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-01-29 04:26:43 UTC
Ok, so you actually need to give someone a fraction of an isk!??

With prices in the 100ks and millions, i really don't see the need to touch the decimals since no one ever uses them, except when you give someone 0.10ISK as a joke lol.