These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[proposal] limit gang links to a single grid

First post
Author
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#201 - 2012-01-28 05:55:07 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Make them fit in gang link slots ;)

Makes sense that they the counter originates from the same slot/hulls. Might even make BCs carry something other than neuts for once, a prospect with which my Amarrian half is most pleased with.
Flyinghotpocket wrote:
it should be the new destroyer hull's role.

since theyve expanded all other classes of ships except destroyers.

Destroyers are not exactly known for their lightning speed or extreme tanks .. a fleet could just have a sniper or speedy HAC clear Destroyers of the field and keep doing what they do with nigh unkillable safe-spotted T3s

Bumpin' for great Justice!
Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#202 - 2012-01-28 08:42:34 UTC
MNagy wrote:
I agree with this ...

I would however leave 'mining' bonus's off the table.

Orca's and Rorqs cost waaaay too much with minimal defenses to force them to be sitting in an asteroid belt in 0.0 space.

Otherwise +1

Damn pharisaism.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Tiger's Spirit
Templars of the Shadows
#203 - 2012-01-28 15:25:47 UTC
+1
Please no more bonuses below from POS FF or safe point.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#204 - 2012-01-30 14:28:59 UTC
Fon Revedhort wrote:
MNagy wrote:
I agree with this ...

I would however leave 'mining' bonus's off the table.

Orca's and Rorqs cost waaaay too much with minimal defenses to force them to be sitting in an asteroid belt in 0.0 space.

Otherwise +1

Damn pharisaism.

+1 for making me go look that up. And yes I agree. There's no reason to apply special treatment to miners. If they want the bonuses then the orca or whatever bonus giving ship should be fulfilling it's role by being on field.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#205 - 2012-02-03 15:31:55 UTC
Is CCP changing these mechanics? It would be nice if they would at least consider this change.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#206 - 2012-02-03 19:44:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
I do not agree that fleet boost should be limited to on grid. actually with the number of systems in EVE the argument could be made it should extend to the hole constellation.

I do believe though that you should not be able to leave the booster ship sitting safe inside a POS shield and it still contributes to the PVP fight with no risk to itself.

Even the mining fleets generally leave the ORCA or Roqual safe inside the POS shields while the fleet is out mining. These ships were meant to be on grid with the mining fleet. that is why they get the tractor beam bonuses.

If gang links could not be activated inside a POS shield then it would add a whole new level to the role of fleet boosting in game. You could have it at a safe spot but there would be risk. ORCA would be used in the belt with the miners or not at all. Roqual could be kept inside the shield and used for compression but if you want to benefit from the fleet boosts you need to take it out of the POS.

Just my 0.02 isk, and for the record I do run mining fleets and usually have my ORCA in belt with the other ships. So much more efficient and a little risk reduces the boredom.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#207 - 2012-02-06 13:49:49 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
I do not agree that fleet boost should be limited to on grid. actually with the number of systems in EVE the argument could be made it should extend to the hole constellation.

I stopped reading right there...I was laughing too hard to be able to read any further.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Flyinghotpocket
Small Focused Memes
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#208 - 2012-02-08 04:51:50 UTC
Hirana Yoshida wrote:

Flyinghotpocket wrote:
it should be the new destroyer hull's role.

since theyve expanded all other classes of ships except destroyers.

Destroyers are not exactly known for their lightning speed or extreme tanks .. a fleet could just have a sniper or speedy HAC clear Destroyers of the field and keep doing what they do with nigh unkillable safe-spotted T3s

Bumpin' for great Justice!

destroyer are now known for the extreme tanks and somewhat good speed. (sig radius rediction) in keeping with that i wouldnt at all suggest that a new destroyer either it be t2 hull or a completely new destroyer hull. i would never even suggest it have the horrible signarture it once had and the interdictor still does.

Amarr Militia Representative - A jar of nitro

Davader
Space Cleaners
The Gorgon Empire
#209 - 2012-02-08 14:59:43 UTC
Interesting idea, but that may kill people who make gay videos about "super solo pvp", where they are in pimped "solo" ship using bonuses from loki and tengu on a safe spot for killing crowds of retards.

I like such videos, so dislike.

But talking about big fleets and other game mechanics, perhaps you're right.
Vaurion Infara
Doomheim
#210 - 2012-02-12 06:58:19 UTC
+1. Booster alts are so overpowered and prevalent these days in lowsec that you have to match them to even compete. Screw that, pvp is expensive enough as it is.

this is it

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#211 - 2012-02-12 08:58:42 UTC
+1

Especially since it would fix the issue with multi-ganglink T3 outperforming Fleet CS.
As opposed to what someone said before, they wouldn't be useless - they can field a nice combination of resistances with decent buffer, sig and speed - if they fit only one gang link as they're supposed to. That's the reason they get a 5% bonus instead of a 3% ganglink-bonus.

As for their role in soloing and countering blobs: Some lame-ass with a crystal set, blue-pill, a scouting alt, a boosting alt, a falcon alt, an RR alt and a blockade runner hauling around his cap-boosters is not really soloing - even if he runs all these alts himself.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Bal'Ayle
Loona's Loonatics
Citizen's Star Republic
#212 - 2012-02-17 11:19:40 UTC
im getting really depressed that eve null sec is either completely empty - has too man ships for a solo pirate to do didly against, and when you get a system with 1-2 players in one is a booster ><

i like the idea of on-grid boosters but how about a compromise?

make pos shields negate any and all boosting effects while on grid with them. so if the boosters want to boost thats fine, but they have to be away from a POS - if they get worried about dying they can warp to a pos but their boosts become negated. simply set the activation so if your within say 300km from a POS they wont turn on?

so u can scan down the booster and do something to them instead of scan them down and watch them laugh at you thru a shield
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#213 - 2012-02-17 11:25:05 UTC
Bal'Ayle wrote:
im getting really depressed that eve null sec is either completely empty - has too man ships for a solo pirate to do didly against, and when you get a system with 1-2 players in one is a booster ><

i like the idea of on-grid boosters but how about a compromise?

make pos shields negate any and all boosting effects while on grid with them. so if the boosters want to boost thats fine, but they have to be away from a POS - if they get worried about dying they can warp to a pos but their boosts become negated. simply set the activation so if your within say 300km from a POS they wont turn on?

so u can scan down the booster and do something to them instead of scan them down and watch them laugh at you thru a shield

uh, at 300km with istabs he would still be perfectly safe, and with a BM 350km out, he can bounce back out as soon as you leave the pos area and resume boosting his other toon.

Plus, at 300km even its a slight swerve to get you to chase him into pos tackled/web range(300km, based on having landed on the most annoying version of a death star ever) and you are screwed anyway.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Dipluz
Notorious Legion
#214 - 2012-02-17 11:25:20 UTC
Have someone probe down and kill the bonus link, no support here
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#215 - 2012-02-17 14:29:57 UTC
If you have ever tried probing one of the damn things down you wouldn't be so cavalier about it .. true that it is no longer impossible, but if it is mobile (ie. AB in random direction) then the 4-5 probe cycles + repositioning needed to nail one has him way off wherever you land ... they are for all intents and purposes still unprobable.

Either way, it is besides the point. No ship (except maybe Titans) should be able to affect anything whatsoever without "being there" .. imagine the "I Was There" crappola video if the pilot used as example was a link pilot .. hilarity Smile
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#216 - 2012-02-17 15:27:25 UTC
Hirana Yoshida wrote:
If you have ever tried probing one of the damn things down you wouldn't be so cavalier about it .. true that it is no longer impossible, but if it is mobile (ie. AB in random direction) then the 4-5 probe cycles + repositioning needed to nail one has him way off wherever you land ... they are for all intents and purposes still unprobable.

Either way, it is besides the point. No ship (except maybe Titans) should be able to affect anything whatsoever without "being there" .. imagine the "I Was There" crappola video if the pilot used as example was a link pilot .. hilarity Smile

I was in the system somewhere!

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Isaiah Harms
State War Academy
Caldari State
#217 - 2012-02-17 23:46:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Isaiah Harms
King Rothgar wrote:
Your proposal is based on a false premise. Namely that off grid ganglinks are immune to attack. Back when it was possible to make a ship unprobable, it was broken as they had no risk beyond spies in fleet. Now however, they can be probed just like everything else. There is nothing stopping you from probing and killing them other than your own ineptitude. Some people do put them inside POS's and although that blocks attacking the booster ship, you can always go kill the POS instead. It probably costs more anyways tbh.Blink

This is true. While the offgrid command ship is handy, it is often an alt anyway and getting a scan down on it was quite easy.

- 1 for this proposal. Quit whining that EVE is hard. Combat in the game is about knowing how your opponent fights. If you can't do that then you can't prepare for their strike - which means you deserve to die in a fire.

Grow up or go play WOW.
Isaiah Harms
State War Academy
Caldari State
#218 - 2012-02-17 23:50:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Isaiah Harms
Hirana Yoshida wrote:

Suggest you learn the finer aspects of insta-probing.

1 cycle or 2 at max.

FOR THE LOVE OF PVP WOULD YOU ALL QUIT ASKING CCP TO MAKE THIS GAME DUMBER FOR YOU?

Seems like all you want in warfare is to line everyone up opposite each other and shoot. Reminds me of the way we did things before the American Revolution (where we invented guerrilla warfare).

If you really need game mechanics that dumb go to 0.0. Get your noobie level pvp done there. We lowsec dwellers thrive on the more skilled combat, and yes that entails the offgrid command ship.

Of course you want it on field so you can blob it to death. Morons!
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#219 - 2012-02-18 00:25:32 UTC
Isaiah Harms wrote:
Suggest you learn the finer aspects of insta-probing.

Can't be arsed with changing account ..

You NEED to have combat probes at highest strength, meaning minimum size, to find the T3's that were unprobable before .. so the "insta-probe" does not exist unless the booster is dumb enough to hang around the celestial from which the prober drops his load.
If you can do it in one or two cycles against a T3 that is not dumb, then you are using a hack Smile

But as I have said previously, by all means lets keep the links nice and cozy but then I want to be able use my logis from anywhere in system as well .. the effect is infinitesimal in power and doesn't scale at all by comparison so that should be fine, right?

It is just plain wrong that one can project the amount of power that links provide without needing to be anywhere near the action .. makes for bad gameplay. Were it to be balanced then a semi-AFK client should be able to find the linkship just as it can be semi-AFK .. and that is just silly .. right?
Tekashi Kovacs
Golfclap Inc
#220 - 2012-02-18 02:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tekashi Kovacs
I like this idea, but I think theres some compromise needed. People pay for alt accounts just to run booster on them. They invested billions in them, either in plex or char bazaar. You cant just take it away from them.

I would make it like that: leave boosters as they are (eventually nerf a little if needed - debatable), but increase their effectiveness by 100% if on grid.