These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Dust already built for PS4?

First post
Author
Otard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-01-23 18:25:49 UTC
Rumurs are growing that the next gen consoles will be released late 2012- early 2013. Which begs the question "is Dust 514 screwed?" Since Dust is going to have a big impact in our game- how will this game being released on the end-cycle of a console mess up our gaming experiance in eve?

Well it seems that the developers are not totaly stupid after all. Info Linky Here is a quote i was interested in.

Question: A key challenge with Dust is the evolving support from CCP. PCs are built to be continually updated, but PlayStations go through definitive step-changes. How can you provide a decade of support for a console that will be superseded in a number of years?

Pétursson: There is a big roadmap for the game and all its updates. Obviously we have to wait for customer feedback to determine our decisions. Now, we have been faced with technology upgrade challenges for years. We release new versions of Eve at a time when most people don’t have the technology to support it, so we operate both the old and new versions of Eve on the same client and allow people to migrate.

We will continue to develop on PlayStation 3 even after the release of Dust, and I think the game’s audience is more used to constant updates than people may assume. I mean, if you look at Call of Duty, that essentially is an online experience that has undergone mass migration across three games.

If there is a PlayStation 4 – which I can tell you now I have no idea if there is – but if there was, we would build Dust for that console as well. It will most likely be a revision of the experience, as with all updates, and could allow people to play across PS3 and 4.

I would agrue that CCP has already developed the game for PS4- i mean, look at the disclaimer 'i dont know if there is a PS4' is near hilarious. All in all, it looks like PS3 and PS4 peeps will be playing together regardless.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#2 - 2012-01-23 18:32:20 UTC
I guess its cool to know this and I certainly wouldn't have found it in General Discussion, but I don't know why this belongs in Ships & Modules. :P

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

ISD Aztouma
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-01-23 19:41:36 UTC
Moved from Ships & Modules .....

ISD Aztouma Lieutenant Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department

Boseo
Azure Horizon
#4 - 2012-01-23 19:49:57 UTC
Otard wrote:
Rumurs are growing

Hard to see how that is happening Roll

Sorry but file “forumsig.GIF” is currently unavailable please come back later…… like in a year or so.

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#5 - 2012-01-23 19:55:53 UTC
No PS4 yet

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#6 - 2012-01-23 19:59:22 UTC
ISD Aztouma wrote:
Moved from Ships & Modules .....

Isn't this just going to show up in oope like all the other Dust threads?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Ezurae
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-01-23 20:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ezurae
Otard wrote:
Rumurs are growing that the next gen consoles will be released late 2012- early 2013.

So wrong... Rumors were growing about 1 month ago but if you were up to speed you would know that a PS4 release is not even close:

Kazuo Hirai said quite a while ago: "Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3,” and “I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

fyi Kazuo is the Representative Corporate Executive Officer and Executive Deputy President of Sony.

source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/01/10/sony-doesnt-plan-to-unveil-a-new-playstation-at-key-trade-show/?mod=WSJBlog

IF you are lucky (and i stress the IF) you can expect the PS3 in 2015 or MAYBE, MAYBE even late 2014 but theres no chance its gonna come any earlier. Sorry to stomp on your little dream world. now go and cry.

BTW another fyi: Old PS games always worked on the next generation of the Playstation console, so you can expect that Dust 514 will work on PS4 (in 2015 or 2016) even if its the "PS3 Version" and that ppl will be able to play together/against eachother without the need of a new "PS4 version"
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-01-23 22:51:07 UTC
Ezurae wrote:
Otard wrote:
Rumurs are growing that the next gen consoles will be released late 2012- early 2013.

So wrong... Rumors were growing about 1 month ago but if you were up to speed you would know that a PS4 release is not even close:

Kazuo Hirai said quite a while ago: "Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3,” and “I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

fyi Kazuo is the Representative Corporate Executive Officer and Executive Deputy President of Sony.

source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/01/10/sony-doesnt-plan-to-unveil-a-new-playstation-at-key-trade-show/?mod=WSJBlog

IF you are lucky (and i stress the IF) you can expect the PS3 in 2015 or MAYBE, MAYBE even late 2014 but theres no chance its gonna come any earlier. Sorry to stomp on your little dream world. now go and cry.

BTW another fyi: Old PS games always worked on the next generation of the Playstation console, so you can expect that Dust 514 will work on PS4 (in 2015 or 2016) even if its the "PS3 Version" and that ppl will be able to play together/against eachother without the need of a new "PS4 version"

This, Sony confirmed that they still have plans for the PS3. Even if they do release the next gen they plan to support the PS3 as long as the console and games are selling. Sales have reach a certain point but are not falling yet.

Same for Microsoft, the 360 is actually selling better than ever. Both consoles have turned the typical pattern of console sales around which by now would usually be dropping.

Either way neither Sony, Nintendo or MS will be ready to drop consoles that are still selling like hot cakes for expensive next gen lumps that not as many people will be buying games for.
Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#9 - 2012-01-24 00:00:06 UTC
maybe Dust 451 will be some sort of downloadable client that works on both systems. If you transpose the evolution of the EVE client originally created in 2003, it has gone through revisions but the same world, same accounts, same mechanics are still in place.

https://www.facebook.com/RipSeanVileRatSmith shoot at blue for Vile Rat http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73406

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-01-24 00:17:49 UTC
Lithalnas wrote:
maybe Dust 451 will be some sort of downloadable client that works on both systems. If you transpose the evolution of the EVE client originally created in 2003, it has gone through revisions but the same world, same accounts, same mechanics are still in place.

CCP could simply update the graphics for the PS4. Mechanically little would need to change, apart from anything limited by the PS3s crippling RAM issues. Things like destructible terrain maybe, generally though map size and graphical updates would be enough to give a current console shooter a next gen place.
W1rlW1nd
WirlWind
#11 - 2012-01-24 04:58:58 UTC  |  Edited by: W1rlW1nd
PS4 shoudl be a non-issue since Sony goes to great lengths to make their consoles backwards compatable with prev-gen games. Or at least create some method of playing earlier games on the new hardware.

Whenever a PS4 comes out, it will most proabably run Dust514 right out of the box.
Shalia Ripper
#12 - 2012-01-24 07:29:37 UTC
boseo wrote:
Otard wrote:
Rumurs are growing

Hard to see how that is happening Roll

it's not a rumur! /arnold

Sig blah blah blah blah

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#13 - 2012-01-24 12:25:00 UTC
Fall 2014 Japan
Spring 2015 RoW

Xbox 720 chips have been ordered on first revision to IBM, for the dev kit delivery sometime this year - making 18-24 months post final revision for Dev kits for a game to come out of that.

So, Xbox 720 should hit about the same time as PS4.

As for Dust development, you just push a button in UDK for whatever platform you want it on...so I don't see CCP not putting a version out there for PS4, in 2-3 years time...

The PS3 has got legs, and I doubt we will see the last of it for a great number of years to come.

AK

This space for rent.

Otard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-01-24 17:16:16 UTC
Glad to hear that the community doesnt sound as panic'd as it did not too long ago. MAny peeps were worried about the time when this game would be deployed being on the end cylce of a console.

Anyone have any idea when the beta starts? I know ppl are signing up for it atm.
SpaceSquirrels
#15 - 2012-01-24 17:41:10 UTC
Backwards compatibility...? When the PS3 was announced the cell processor was touted. It's architecture was/is highly different from other platforms. If the same were true this go around they'd have said or let developers know. (assuming rumors are true.)
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#16 - 2012-01-24 19:36:52 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Backwards compatibility...? When the PS3 was announced the cell processor was touted. It's architecture was/is highly different from other platforms. If the same were true this go around they'd have said or let developers know. (assuming rumors are true.)

Probably run that through a virtual machine on chip.

Whatever the PS4 turns out to be, it'll need to be able to display 4K gaming, as will the xbox 720.

Seen the CES coverage? All about 4K televisions.

Thinking 2014/15, and then 10 year life-cycle, 4K in 2025 would be today's crappy SD resolution.

So, you may have a high-end Plasma today - but in 2015, if you do not have a 4K OLED that's 2mm thick, the kool kidz will not respect you and your neighbors will cease to invite you round for afternoon coffee on Sundays.

As such, Sony and Microsoft releasing a 1080P gaming machine in 2014/15 would be suicidal.

It may cost them a lot in the beginning [as do all consoles] but in the long run they'd make it back, in spades.

4K gaming, here we come!

This space for rent.

Something Random
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-01-24 22:16:43 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
[quote=SpaceSquirrels
4K gaming, here we come!

k forth
==

k for the masses is a long way away - they wont focus a product on that, it will be 00p with 4k capability should you get it. Hell i have a 4k upscaling AV system right now - you know whatthis **** does early on, move thats what. All now is useless later.

i apologise for my keyboard - i dropped alcohol on it once too many times. the top row numbers are fudged.

Nice catch OP - everyone can read in whatthey will, but the general interview was pretty see through. Read it as is - anyone for a TL;DR, then thats your **** fault.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-01-26 19:36:27 UTC
Sony learned their lesson and probably won't use Cell again.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-01-26 22:49:46 UTC
Theres a pretty disturbing rumour about the next Xbox being unable to play used games, if true it would be a very ****** move by Microsoft. The backlash from players would probably kill the console.

Source
Reiisha
#20 - 2012-01-27 17:43:39 UTC
Otard wrote:

Neither Xbox 720 nor PS4 will be released before 2014. Both Sony and MS have already said this.

The Wii U is likely on for a 2013 release.

Also, Dust is made for the PS3 but the PS4 will be backwards compatible, allowing Dust to be played on it.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

12Next page