These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Joy Of Plex

Author
Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#21 - 2012-01-26 18:43:55 UTC
Specctor wrote:
This isn't the first post related to plex prices, nor dare I say will it be the last rather than the usual blah blah about cashing in I would like to address the potential game breaking issue attached to the increasing plex forecast.

Imagine the very possible 1bill per plex scenario where the estimated two thirds of players whom pay by plex can no longer afford plexes from their monthly grin, now add the fact that for £22:00you can buy your self 2 billion isk from an etc miners think why bother mining, inflation driven by too few subscribers producing base matierials and a new breed of buy your self rich players mean that Joe shmoe who buys eve for the first time quits after a week because he can buy his first t1 frigit....

End result mass loss of player base mass inflation and no new influx of fresh players.....

Possible fix CCP cap plex prices before its to late...

I agree, although I'm not sure most people get entirely what you're getting at.

Even though the price of plex is determined by the market the market mechanism does not mean thatt all players are effected the same way, or that the market driven price is best from a game design perspective.

Different people play different ways and enjoy different parts of the game.

Game design is about creating mechanics to make the game enjoyable to the most people. That doesn't mean that design needs to make all content enjoyable to all players.

As you pointed out, newer players have different abilities to earn isk, its always been that way. Some people like PVE more than others and make more isk, its always been that way. Some people like to concentrate time on economic activity trading and industry.. its always been that way.

Yet, even though "its always been that way" in the scenarios above, that does not mean that the differences have not become more pronounced. The amount players can earn per hour can be nerfed. The amount newer players can earn per hour can be buffed....yet each of those have issues... taking away anything leads to disatisfaction and pumping more isk into the game to the large lump of players beflow the 6 month average play window could fuel an already difficult to moderate inflation.

My concern though is that isk dynamics that have very wealthy players that have huge cash flow from ammassed fortunes and control of alliance institutions can pay for plex at a level that is hurts the social and game play dynamics for players at the center of the bellcurve. (btw, many of those people with instituational controll of moons use the plex to pay for alt accounts for titan pilots that are there not for their own enjoyment but to bolster the stregnth of the isntituion and provide its members with titan bridges and funding for ship replacement programs by continuing to controll moons)

The center of the bell curve is where CCP needs to be most careful about keeping people happy.

My concern:

The amount that the very wealthy in isk (or large moon controlling alliances paying to maintain titan alts) gives the player with $ to spend too much ISK for their dollar.

The danger I see is that people willing to pay a smaller amount extra $15 now and then, can have so much more isk than their other corp members with similar distaste for PVE, that the divide in ships they can fly becomes too pronounced.

Many people (not all but many) just don't like the idea of paying more for a game or the general concept of getting more game assets for more rl $ (the might see it like micro-transactions.

If it rubs them wrong that if they don't pay extra they can't field standard fleet ships ... if $ goes too far with isk this is more likely to happen... they might feel the game is out of whack.

While it is a judgement call without a huge amount of data to support or deny my feeling, my experience has been that there are a awful lot of people who are the types I like to do pvp with that both don't like farming too much, struggle making isk nearly as efficeintly as others, and don't like the idea of telling their wives they'r going to take more out of the family budget to fund game play that they already might see as excessive.

Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-01-26 19:04:01 UTC
"PLEX is one of the biggest subscription methods in EVE"

That is a quote from the csm meeting minuets and the topic was started by ccp.

The fact is people can walk away if they cant pay via isk or cash.... the problem is its a question potentially thousands of people will have to ask them selves in the up and coming Plexment Day,

Concequeses of a mass player Subscription break are potentially Game ending what if 10k people said i cant be arsed working so hard for my plex all the time its booring and because my mortgage has gone up i cant afford to play eve so i guess ill have to stop playing eve alltogether....

Thats my point thats the problem with unchecked plex inflation.

Capitalisum is inherently flawed because it requires constant growth and Inflation to Work, the only difference in eve is that people can and will walk away if they choose to.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#23 - 2012-01-26 19:15:04 UTC
There will always be massive variation in the resources different players have.

It doesn't matter if the resource in question is PLEX, in-game currency, out-of-game currency, friends, skill points, game knowledge, real-life intelligence, playing time or whatever. You can't fix it for there to be an even playing field, and if you could it would be bad thing.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#24 - 2012-01-26 19:18:03 UTC
Specctor wrote:
Derath you need to look up the word possible because it was a possible soloution......Although you have now enlightened me and I now see your point capping them is probably a bad idea sure yea your right..

Nice try but fail. I don't need to look up the word possible. However you should probably refresh yourself on the words "relevance" and "redundant"

The word possible has no relevance with the argument in this thread. In fact it is redundant in its use. Why? By starting this thread your OP implies a possible solution whether you used the word possible or not. All I have done is argue against this possible solution.

I'll give you an A for effort though

Specctor wrote:
PLAYERS LEAVING THE GAME DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO AFFORD PLEXES IS STILL A BAD THING GIVEN THE AMMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO USE THEM FOR GAME TIME THOUGH!

Not really. I would actually bet money that CCP doesn't care all that much what happens to plex in game. In fact I bet they cheer when PLEX gets blown up in some random gank.

Once a PLEX becomes an in game item, CCP already got their real world money for it.

Specctor wrote:
do you think everyone will come back after they have had the break from the game or do you think they will find some other mmo?

If someone cannot afford EVE without a PLEX do you think they are gonna shell out $$ for another MMO?
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#25 - 2012-01-26 19:26:07 UTC
Specctor wrote:

The fact is people can walk away if they cant pay via isk or cash.... the problem is its a question potentially thousands of people will have to ask them selves in the up and coming Plexment Day,

Concequeses of a mass player Subscription break are potentially Game ending what if 10k people said i cant be arsed working so hard for my plex all the time its booring and because my mortgage has gone up i cant afford to play eve so i guess ill have to stop playing eve alltogether....

Capitalisum is inherently flawed because it requires constant growth and Inflation to Work, the only difference in eve is that people can and will walk away if they choose to.

This whole argument is flawed.

Everyone pays for EVE. If you pay for your gametime with a PLEX, someone else shelled out $15 for you.

If anything, the players who can only afford to play EVE via PLEX actually COST CCP potential revenue.

When someone buy's a GTC and coverts to PLEX, CCP makes say $30. now if those PLEX sit in game and never get redeemed for gametime. OR if they get blown up. That is FREE MONEY for CCP. (sort of). Basically CCP got $30 which was used for extra internet pixels.

Now if someone comes along and uses that PLEX to extend their gametime, CCP now lost a potential $15 that the user otherwise would have spent to extend their gametime.

So if you have a player who only plays via PLEX, and would quit otherwise, CCP isn't technically losing money from them quitting. CCP doesn't make any money from people who redeem PLEX. They make money from people who buy GTC and turn them into PLEX.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#26 - 2012-01-26 19:30:04 UTC
Specctor wrote:
what if 10k people said i cant be arsed working so hard for my plex all the time its booring and because my mortgage has gone up i cant afford to play eve so i guess ill have to stop playing eve alltogether....

These people sound pretty tragic, I think we might be better off without them.

10k less PLEX consumers would lower PLEX price, and if we have to exchange 10k potential spacefriends for a lower PLEX price these sad little people sound like the ones to go.
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2012-01-26 19:35:35 UTC
Derath I dont know why your atacking me on a personal level but I urge you to stop I agreed with you buddy.....let it go....

Be constructive or find someone els to troll I wont reply directly to you from now on unless what you have to say is on constructive and progressive discussion level although the bumping of this thread you have provided is apriciated.

Diomedes Calypso thankyou and clearly you have a grasp on what im getting at...

I totally agree with what you are saying Large scale opperations sitting on potentially trillions of isk a year have can literally play god with average people whom just want to log on do there thing log off,

Goons have threatened that they will be starting a new trype of market manipulation which would be bigger than the gallente ice gank they recently orchastrated could the former pre curse the latter? is there plan just to break the game by starting some sort of plex based war on ccp? if so what will ccp do to stop them and how will they prevent such assaults from happening in the future??
Ruvin
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2012-01-26 19:36:10 UTC
players leaving cos they cant afford dont even pay ccp ... others do that instead of them , btw

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#29 - 2012-01-26 19:42:54 UTC
Specctor wrote:
Derath I dont know why your atacking me on a personal level but I urge you to stop I agreed with you buddy.....let it go....

Be constructive or find someone els to troll I wont reply directly to you from now on unless what you have to say is on constructive and progressive discussion level although the bumping of this thread you have provided is apriciated.

With the exception of the "possible" thing, nothing has been a personal attack. And that was a playful jab back from your playful jab at me.

Everything else has been refuting your arguments on the economy and mechanics of PLEX. Maybe you just didn't read those parts.
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-01-26 19:48:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Specctor
"These people sound pretty tragic, I think we might be better off without them.

10k less PLEX consumers would lower PLEX price, and if we have to exchange 10k potential spacefriends for a lower PLEX price these sad little people sound like the ones to go."

Really Ten thousand active people leaving the game ill say it again ten thousand active people leaving the game would make the rest of us all better off???
who do u shoot ,what if they all leave from say a Eu timezone where the Recesion is hitting people hard ten thousand active people leaving a specific timezone would kill it done over caput.

Ten thousand leaving alltogether never to return tenthousand spread between 2 timezones would be terrible aswell entire alliances would fold base line matierials where the sheer mass of competition keep the price low would sky rocket...

Eve is the sum of its parts and we are all connected back through the whole from newb to Ceo of Ive got a very big alliance.

At this point in time ccp is making good money because people are buying etc codes hand over fist to cash in...... two months down the line there missing a very big chunk of there player base and in the middle of a Player related spiral of decline once it starts its very hard to stop such a spiral from hitting the ground without some sort of intervention or "Win them Back sceme tipped in the players favour"
OllieNorth
Recidivists Incorporated
#31 - 2012-01-26 19:48:33 UTC
As someone who always pays for gametime, I don't really see the issue. Nobody has a right to play for free. Any other MMO makes you pay no matter what, this one gives you an option. I like that.

I also like that I can legally buy ISK if my incompetent ass goes afk in a Level 4 with my pimped mission boat. Regulating PLEX prices would be stupid for CCP. If they limit the value of their product, they will sell less of it.

Also, I have doubt about how many of these PLEX-only players are actually distinct individuals. Rather, I imagine a large percentage are alts. As such, them desubbing doesn't really affect gameplay very much as the human can only play so many accounts at one time. Many are just sitting there ticking along and training. I doubt there would be a huge decrease in the number of actual humans playing the game.

TL;DR Quit whining and find enough cash to pay, or get better so you can buy your PLEX.
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-01-26 19:57:53 UTC
OllieNorth wrote:
As someone who always pays for gametime, I don't really see the issue. Nobody has a right to play for free. Any other MMO makes you pay no matter what, this one gives you an option. I like that.

I also like that I can legally buy ISK if my incompetent ass goes afk in a Level 4 with my pimped mission boat. Regulating PLEX prices would be stupid for CCP. If they limit the value of their product, they will sell less of it.

Also, I have doubt about how many of these PLEX-only players are actually distinct individuals. Rather, I imagine a large percentage are alts. As such, them desubbing doesn't really affect gameplay very much as the human can only play so many accounts at one time. Many are just sitting there ticking along and training. I doubt there would be a huge decrease in the number of actual humans playing the game.

TL;DR Quit whining and find enough cash to pay, or get better so you can buy your PLEX.

3 accounts payed for by £ sir so nope im not a disgruntled I cant pay for my account person......
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-01-26 20:03:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Specctor
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Specctor wrote:

Everyone pays for EVE. If you pay for your gametime with a PLEX, someone else shelled out $15 for you.

If anything, the players who can only afford to play EVE via PLEX actually COST CCP potential revenue.

When someone buy's a GTC and coverts to PLEX, CCP makes say $30. now if those PLEX sit in game and never get redeemed for gametime. OR if they get blown up. That is FREE MONEY for CCP. (sort of). Basically CCP got $30 which was used for extra internet pixels.

Now if someone comes along and uses that PLEX to extend their gametime, CCP now lost a potential $15 that the user otherwise would have spent to extend their gametime.

So if you have a player who only plays via PLEX, and would quit otherwise, CCP isn't technically losing money from them quitting. CCP doesn't make any money from people who redeem PLEX. They make money from people who buy GTC and turn them into PLEX.

"It must be stated that contrary to public perception, it is in CCP’s interest to have the PLEX prices low (as opposed to high) because of the number of users using that subscription method. There is no guarantee that those users will switch over to other methods could they not afford PLEX with ISK. Nor is it in CCP’s interest that users have to grind more in order to maintain their subscription method should the price of PLEX go up – using more of their time in the game to pay for PLEX and not to enrich the EVE environment.
CCP is therefore closely monitoring both the PLEX trade and the economy in general, very closely."

The bottom of page 9 of the csm minuets Sir.

I like the part about enriching the enviroment which is perhaps another problem ccp is adressing alltogether f less people had to grind the more they would pvp or perhaps settle in new areas of space and start there own eve chapter, rather than the obvious work for plex slavery which is currently insuing.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#34 - 2012-01-26 20:06:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Bad Bobby
Specctor wrote:
Really Ten thousand active people leaving the game ill say it again ten thousand active people leaving the game would make the rest of us all better off???

Potentially, yes.

For one, 10k less PLEX consumers would lower PLEX price. That being the actual core issue you are discussing.

For two, 10k pathetic whiney drama queens is no great loss to the community. It would take many years to use up the current stockpiles anyway.

Specctor wrote:
base line matierials where the sheer mass of competition keep the price low would sky rocket...

Which would mean that people gathering those materials could afford PLEX more easily.

I think a key issue with your arguments is that you do not have the beginnings of a clue as to how the EVE market works. You are just running about going "THE SKY IS FALLING" to us because you are scared by some bad dreams you had.
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-01-26 20:15:57 UTC
Ofcourse i understand !!!

I buy 2 caracalls from you which means 1 guy whom mined that ore gets a percentage of my isk and yours also the guy whos buying the minerals and shipping them from that guy who mined them in the first place makes a cut who inturn makes a cut from you when you buy something els hes buying and selling for a marginal profit on the market....behind all this there is a Goon member whom has secretly bought all of the rest of the caricalls and will keep on buying them untill we all pay well over the odds for carricals and have to go fly gaylente instead....

See crystal clear understanding their sir....
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#36 - 2012-01-26 20:39:15 UTC
Ok, so apply your crystal clear understanding to this:

Quote:
1bill per plex scenario where the estimated two thirds of players whom pay by plex can no longer afford plexes from their monthly grin

What happens to the demand for PLEX if these "two thirds of players whom pay by plex" are no longer buying PLEX.

What will happen to the price of PLEX as a result of that effect on demand?
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#37 - 2012-01-26 20:39:18 UTC
Specctor wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Specctor wrote:

"It must be stated that contrary to public perception, it is in CCP’s interest to have the PLEX prices low (as opposed to high) because of the number of users using that subscription method. There is no guarantee that those users will switch over to other methods could they not afford PLEX with ISK. Nor is it in CCP’s interest that users have to grind more in order to maintain their subscription method should the price of PLEX go up – using more of their time in the game to pay for PLEX and not to enrich the EVE environment.
CCP is therefore closely monitoring both the PLEX trade and the economy in general, very closely."

The bottom of page 9 of the csm minuets Sir.

I like the part about enriching the enviroment which is perhaps another problem ccp is adressing alltogether f less people had to grind the more they would pvp or perhaps settle in new areas of space and start there own eve chapter, rather than the obvious work for plex slavery which is currently insuing.

Yes, I actually read the entire PLEX section, rather than the one quote out of context. And yes I agree PLEX has a danger for market manipulation and so forth.

But it does not change the hard fact that CCP does not make any money from the guy who uses a plex for gametime. None, zero, nada. They make money from the guy who bought the GTC and turned it into a PLEX.

Now those PLEX players are important in the sense that they are buyers for the people that purchase GTC's So yes there has to be a balance between the two.

I guess at this point the real question is what is this thread really about at this point. If I may try to distille down your arguments (you can correct me if I am wrong), your original arguments for this thread revolved around.

1. The danger of imminent PLEX inflation (1bil isk PLEX)
2. A possible solution being an artifical cap on PLEX pricing.

at this point it seems

1. PLEX inflation is obviously a possibility, but the overall effects on the game at this point is largely wild speculation.
2. As you mentioned you agreed, an artificial cap is likely not a good solution.

So where to take this thread now?

Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2012-01-26 20:56:21 UTC
If people are too poor to afford $15 a month, then their time might be better spent on things other than EVE.
Ehn Roh
#39 - 2012-01-26 21:10:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Ehn Roh
Quote:
vast majority of subscribers who pay for there account via acquiring in game plexes via self generated isk.

hahahahaha no.

There is not much than can be directly done about PLEX prices because price controls simply fail. They're not just "not a good solution", they aren't a solution at all. A price cap would cut into supply, so while they'd be "cheaper", they may also not be available at all. The supply/demand curve works for both the buyer and the seller.
Specctor
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-01-26 21:17:57 UTC
Well after I agreed with plex capping being a bad soloution I suggested a couple of more possibilities, but what would your answer be to plex inflation how would you controll plex inflation or protect the player base from plex manipulation?