These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New dev blog: All our webs are belong to you

First post First post
Author
Matthias Azaharel
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-01-26 15:39:45 UTC
Jovan Geldon wrote:
I'd be careful about the whole "playstyle" thing, it might give the impression to a newbie that they have to conform to one of these predetermined styles, when obviously that isn't the case at all.


QFT

Also wanted to add, assuming you keep the "playstyle" page, I hope in the finished product the images/videos would be relevant to the playstyle described (e.g. the pictures for the pirate show tacklers and things getting shot at/blown up).

Just in the interest of making the page more cohesive.
Radgette
EVE Irn Bru Distribution
#42 - 2012-01-26 15:42:22 UTC
Hiram Alexander wrote:
ETA available for the new tattoos...?



this i read the whole thing and although the web stuff is cool, i want new tattoo's Pirate

so any eta on when we get them>?
Realah
Red Wolf Miners II
#43 - 2012-01-26 15:43:05 UTC
So this is definitely a step in the right direction, but I truly hope that there's an emphasis placed on consolidating information about game play. I used to play Eve quite often between '07 and '10, but life got busy and now I just maintain my character skill queues. This year, I'd love to get back to playing, but it's intimidating to do so with all of the new additions and modifications to the game features I had grown used to.

How awesome would it be if there was ONE reference I could use to relearn HOW to play Eve? How awesome would it be if part of the patching process involved the folks at CCP updating this single information source to reflect all of the new features? Am I way off here? Has this already been addressed in my hiatus from the game? Or am I going to have to read all of the previous patch notes to get up to date on things? I think that maybe having an internal team whose sole purpose in life was to maintain something along the lines of http://www.isktheguide.com/ would probably be one of the single most valuable things that could be done to entice me back into pew-pew sooner than later.

This is from the perspective of a casual Eve player who would prefer spending my time in space blowing things up that sifting through the Support pages, Evelopedia, Eve Gate, and Eve Community sites, and would like something more specific and definitive than an in-game tutorial. I just don't have the time and patience for that.

Having said all that, I love where the game is going and the new focus at CCP, and I can't wait to get back into my pod regularly.

-Realah
Andrea Griffin
#44 - 2012-01-26 15:45:45 UTC
CCP Alice wrote:
Phoenix Tyrox wrote:
Those interactive features, will they be Flash or HTML5?
HTML5 !
CCP Alice - you're doing it right. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Flash sites make cringe.

Dev Blog wrote:
Revised versions of popular EVE Chronicles downloadable in eBook format
I'm VERY much looking forward to this. I don't like reading lots of text on a backlit screen, but my first generation Sony PRS-300 gets a lot of use.
CCP Alice
C C P
C C P Alliance
#45 - 2012-01-26 15:49:04 UTC
J Kunjeh wrote:
Jovan Geldon wrote:
I'd be careful about the whole "playstyle" thing, it might give the impression to a newbie that they have to conform to one of these predetermined styles, when obviously that isn't the case at all.


I think you have a good point. Maybe in addition to including these awesome new playstyle screens, you can also include a page with a CCP version of the (player made?) "what to do in Eve" chart? I don't have the link, but I'm sure someone here can provide it.


Yep these are good points and something I feel aware of as well. It's much appreciated to get this kind of feedback on it too, so thank you both. It's a balance between getting across that you can define your own path/gameplay style and that this can change (or be a mix) like you say, and also being able to give people an insight into what that means through showing them tangible examples.




"There is no knowledge without unity"

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#46 - 2012-01-26 15:50:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Excellent work !

Haven't had time to check, but does ingame browser be able to dipslay the 3D gallery ? Theoretically I should think so. Either way HTML 5 is the way to go.

Pro tip : Make the first screenshot you see something a little more visually appealing than the market data display Roll
I know we play Spreadsheets Online be you're only supposed to discover that AFTER you've been hooked Twisted
Sarmatiko
#47 - 2012-01-26 15:51:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
Radgette wrote:
Hiram Alexander wrote:
ETA available for the new tattoos...?

this i read the whole thing and although the web stuff is cool, i want new tattoo's Pirate

so any eta on when we get them>?

Sleeve tattoos are present in current Crucible 1.1 client resources. There is around 20 variations, for example http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7687/morteevesleeve.jpg
Actually they were in testing right after Incarna release but then 20% happened Cry
Thelron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#48 - 2012-01-26 15:54:12 UTC
As long as the wording is kept to "if you want to be a pirate, here's how that might work," (i.e. actually highlighting that it's playstyle and not a job system) the playstyle pages should be fine, and that sort of thing always seems to be a great way to get people interested.

How are you guys handling IE-compatability with the HTML5 stuff? Glad to hear it isn't going to be a flashmonster though!
Riffix
Synergistic Arbitrage
#49 - 2012-01-26 15:57:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Riffix
CCP Alice wrote:

Interactive star map with different view states where you learn about features of the universe

Based off the image you provided, I don't think this is interesting enough for potential new players because it gives you no reference, just a bunch of dots. Include region names. If you really want to make it interesting, show sovereignty complete with logos. You're probably going to tell me that that is a toggle but I think being able to overlay ship kills over sovereignty is much more interesting.
CCP Alice wrote:

Interactive 3D spaceship gallery showing a selection of spaceships ranging from capsule to titan

Shocked This is awesome! However, why only some ships and why only angels pirate faction. I can understand maybe not putting the jove but at least add the sleepers, something a curious player could actually seek out in the game if they started playing. I also second the comment about adding crew and maybe lore description.
CCP Alice wrote:

Popular gameplay styles like Pirate, Explorer, Fleet Commander, etc. represented as career paths

This is cool. I second what others have said about being careful for it not to appear as if you have to be one of those roles.
CCP Alice wrote:

A short Personality Analysis quiz to help you determine what career paths may suit you
Revised versions of popular EVE Chronicles downloadable in eBook format

Big smile These are both made of win, especially the test.
CCP Alice wrote:

Screenshots showcasing all aspects of in-game visuals

Please keep it up to date! Big smile Also, I think wallpapers can be interesting for non-players when they are so gorgeous they work if you just love sci-fi. The most recent set from Crucible are fantastic.


Overall very exciting! Big smile

Lead, Follow, or Get the #@$!@ Out of the Way.

CCP Alice
C C P
C C P Alliance
#50 - 2012-01-26 15:58:50 UTC
Sulindra wrote:
Want to know what would be great, and really useful? A common login across all websites. I am tired of logging into the forums just to have to re-log into secure.eveonline.com or some other part of the site that requires me to log on. As a web developer myself I find it absolutely MIND BOGGLING that EVEs websites are so segregated like that.


We hear you and are working towards this :)

"There is no knowledge without unity"

CCP Alice
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-01-26 16:05:43 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
Excellent work !

Haven't had time to check, but does ingame browser be able to dipslay the 3D gallery ? Theoretically I should think so. Either way HTML 5 is the way to go.

Pro tip : Make the first screenshot you see something a little more visually appealing than the market data display Roll
I know we play Spreadsheets Online be you're only supposed to discover that AFTER you've been hooked Twisted


Hahahaha, I did it on purpose, apparently some people like graphs in dev blogs, so I put a graph in mine for fun :p

"There is no knowledge without unity"

The Snowman
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-01-26 16:13:19 UTC
only thing I would say is that "pirates" dont really use the word 'plunder' pirates in eve are real dark minded people who say things like "loot their ****"

Try use terms that put across the fact that Eve is full of real, human players who can be cruel or kind. Not fictional characters from famous holywood pirate movies Roll
CCP Alice
C C P
C C P Alliance
#53 - 2012-01-26 16:17:38 UTC
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Banksae wrote:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/3103/3390/pirate.jpg


Couldn't help but notice the Right upper corner saying "play Eve for Free" is that a referring vaguely to plexing or are we gonna start a new F2P discussion in the future ?


It is just a free trial ad I believe... a slightly misleading one, but hey... marketing...



Yeah I just want to confirm this is not referring to plexing, F2P or anything like that. It's the "try eve now" link that takes you to the Getting Started page I mentioned in the bullet points.

"There is no knowledge without unity"

Camios
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2012-01-26 16:19:44 UTC
I hope that the information on the game is presented in a "serious" way. To be more precise: I don't like the image I saw with a guy that say "I AM awesome I'm a pirate look at my muscles and tattoos I came from APB"; I would prefer a more "aura like" presentation of the game, cold, cute, reasoned.

The EVE website should tell you about EVE more like a tough woman you have a reverential awe, than a stupid guy with a camo undershirt that seems to come from APB. 'Woman' is the key, not 'guy', *******!
Capsuleers are lords, not gangsta.

Moreover, presenting a game made by spaceships with an avatar like that is sort of a lie.
Hiram Alexander
State Reprisal
#55 - 2012-01-26 16:21:13 UTC
Sarmatiko wrote:
Radgette wrote:
Hiram Alexander wrote:
ETA available for the new tattoos...?

this i read the whole thing and although the web stuff is cool, i want new tattoo's Pirate

so any eta on when we get them>?

Sleeve tattoos are present in current Crucible 1.1 client. There is around 20 variations, for example http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7687/morteevesleeve.jpg
Actually they were in testing right after Incarna release but then 20% happened Cry

Hot damn, lol... now you've gone and made me update my client... and I was doing so well... Oops
Camios
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2012-01-26 16:23:38 UTC
CCP Alice wrote:
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Banksae wrote:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/3103/3390/pirate.jpg


Couldn't help but notice the Right upper corner saying "play Eve for Free" is that a referring vaguely to plexing or are we gonna start a new F2P discussion in the future ?


It is just a free trial ad I believe... a slightly misleading one, but hey... marketing...



Yeah I just want to confirm this is not referring to plexing, F2P or anything like that. It's the "try eve now" link that takes you to the Getting Started page I mentioned in the bullet points.


Well so why that button is not "try EVE for free" instead of "play EVE for free"?
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-01-26 16:29:11 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
"Interactive 3D spaceship gallery showing a selection of spaceships ranging from capsule to titan"

This is honestly the hottest thing (not yet) on the internets. GG web team.

Consider the potential consequences of allowing EVE players to ship-spin on the web for free. Twisted

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Sarmatiko
#58 - 2012-01-26 16:29:53 UTC
Camios wrote:
I hope that the information on the game is presented in a "serious" way. To be more precise: I don't like the image I saw with a guy that say "I AM awesome I'm a pirate look at my muscles and tattoos I came from APB";

Totally agree with this statement. My avatar on that page will make it more awesome Roll
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-01-26 16:30:58 UTC
Camios wrote:
CCP Alice wrote:
Jarnis McPieksu wrote:
Banksae wrote:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/3103/3390/pirate.jpg


Couldn't help but notice the Right upper corner saying "play Eve for Free" is that a referring vaguely to plexing or are we gonna start a new F2P discussion in the future ?


It is just a free trial ad I believe... a slightly misleading one, but hey... marketing...



Yeah I just want to confirm this is not referring to plexing, F2P or anything like that. It's the "try eve now" link that takes you to the Getting Started page I mentioned in the bullet points.


Well so why that button is not "try EVE for free" instead of "play EVE for free"?


Marketing. Hope that the nublet is too hooked by the time he realizes he's been reeled in to a subscription MMO. Twisted
Vincent Athena
V.I.C.E.
#60 - 2012-01-26 16:34:40 UTC
I would recommend not putting anything in there that is not also in the game. For example your "pirate" has tattoos on the arms, something we cannot get in-game.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction