These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

the dumbing down of names to bring in new blood?

First post
Author
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-01-26 03:37:34 UTC
I can only guess that CCP is "simplifying" things in order to attract more folks.

The only problem is they grew every year for 6 years, until they stopped giving us stuff for FIS.

Simplifying stuff makes the game worse, not better.

Just keep doing what you did with the last patch, and you'll see the subscriber base grow.


I can see this going bad places....

life-bars instead of hull/armor/shields... that'd be simpler too....

When you mine asteroids, instead of ore going into your hull, isk drops into your wallet.... that's ****-tons simpler...

Fitting ships is too hard, so get rid of all modules and have each ship hard-coded with turrets/launchers, ecm, and tanking abilities.

If you do that, then you can name ships properly

Caldari Long Range ECM battleship I
Minmatar sacrificial tackling frigate II
ORE Ice Mining Vessell II - Mackinaw
Nomad -- Minmatar Freighter I

so much simpler. So much better. Right?

Just change the names back, kinda like the turret icons. like ya shoulda done with the fonts *grumble*

wrong answer is wrong.

it's not going to bring in paying customers. Unless this is all to prepare for the FREE TO PLAY CROWD, and if that's the case, then bravo, you've done exactly what you need to do.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2 - 2012-01-26 03:53:20 UTC
Ris Dnalor wrote:
I can only guess that CCP is "simplifying" things in order to attract more folks.


That would be affirmative. The WOW-ification of EVE has been underway for a while. You can even buy Mounts, er ..I mean goggles and space pants in the NeX.


There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-01-26 03:54:59 UTC
...or then there is some noob renaming stuff who hasn't even played the game and thinks it is "hard".

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Lovejoy II
Lovejoy's Operations
#4 - 2012-01-26 03:58:03 UTC
Eve players have the strangest ideas about what complexity is.
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-01-26 03:59:14 UTC
Lovejoy II wrote:
Eve players have the strangest ideas about what complexity is.


pls elaborate.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#6 - 2012-01-26 04:00:52 UTC
Dumbing down eve requires removing water from the pool.

CCP has done no such thing in this manner.

They only changed the pool filters to get rid of some of the random stuff floating in the pool.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-01-26 04:16:37 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
Dumbing down eve requires removing water from the pool.

CCP has done no such thing in this manner.

They only changed the pool filters to get rid of some of the random stuff floating in the pool.


that's just not true.

it's more challenging to swim thru that pool whilst dodging the random stuff, therefore removing some of the random stuff effectively dumbs down the process of swimming thru said pool.

try again. Evil

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#8 - 2012-01-26 04:22:54 UTC
I would have figured it had something to do with it mucking up the code and the new names allowed them to edit quicker or something simple we knew nothing about...

Call me crazy, living and thinking in the real world Oops

R.I.P. Vile Rat

DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
#9 - 2012-01-26 04:24:22 UTC
OP is an idiot.
Also, they should read up on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I, too, could say that CCP are going to replace all offensive modules with a single 'Shooty Shooty' turret, and then claim that the above will happen because a few modules have been renamed.

However, I won't, because I have a functioning brain, whereas the OP is about as intelligent as a sack of potatoes.
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-01-26 04:34:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Ris Dnalor
DarkAegix wrote:
OP is an idiot.
Also, they should read up on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I, too, could say that CCP are going to replace all offensive modules with a single 'Shooty Shooty' turret, and then claim that the above will happen because a few modules have been renamed.

However, I won't, because I have a functioning brain, whereas the OP is about as intelligent as a sack of potatoes.


it's more than a few modules / ammo. there were more in the patchnotes that didn't get done in time for this release. Now, this may not counter your first argument, as you used the term "few modules" and that isn't very precise.

As far as your second argument, you must certainly be correct in your assumption that my intelligence is on par with a sack of potatoes, (looks like a nice pub, doesn't it?) because I can't begin to find a valid argument against that. And since it couldn't possibly be due to the fact that you're attacking the person, instead of arguing against the idea, I must concede defeat. You, sir, are possessing of a mighty, mighty mind, against which, I clearly stand no chance. Cool



http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp
Quote:
Weapons & Ammunition

The falloff and range bonuses of Null ammo has been increased from 1.25 to 1.4.
In order to simplify the naming system in EVE, the following changes have been made to Weapons & Ammunition:
All EM missiles will now have the name ‘Mjolnir’.
All Thermal missiles will now have the name ‘Inferno’.
All Kinetic missiles will now have the name ‘Trauma’.
All Explosive missiles will now have the name ‘Nova’.
All scripts now carry the suffix ‘Script’ after their name. This affects Focused Warp Disruption, Optimal Range Disruption, Tracking Speed Disruption, Scan Resolution, Targeting Range, Optimal Range and Tracking Speed.
Shield hardeners, Shield resistance amplifiers, Armor hardeners, Energized plating and Resistance plating will all have a new prefix based on the damage type. These new prefixes will simply be EM/Thermal/Kinetic/Explosive.
Shield hardeners, Shield resistance amplifiers, Armor hardeners, Energized plating and Resistance plating which allow for multiple resist types will now carry the prefix ‘Adaptive’.
Modules and weapons for Capital, Battleships, Cruisers and Frigates will now show a size of XL, Large, Medium or Small for almost all items. Some exceptions will apply for named modules or X Large shield boosters for battleships. Unfortunately the list of all modules is much too large to fit into patch notes.


Quote:
Boosters & Implants

Skill Hardwiring implants have been simplified. Each hardwiring will now show what it effects in the name. For example, Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Gunslinger' LX-0 will now become Hardwiring - 'Gunslinger' Large Projectile Turret LX-001.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-01-26 04:53:07 UTC
Ris Dnalor wrote:
DarkAegix wrote:
OP is an idiot.
Also, they should read up on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I, too, could say that CCP are going to replace all offensive modules with a single 'Shooty Shooty' turret, and then claim that the above will happen because a few modules have been renamed.

However, I won't, because I have a functioning brain, whereas the OP is about as intelligent as a sack of potatoes.


it's more than a few modules / ammo. there were more in the patchnotes that didn't get done in time for this release. ( why? well, that's simple -- typing is hard! )

Now, this may not counter your first argument, as you used the term "few modules" and that isn't very precise.

As far as your second argument, you must certainly be correct in your assumption that my intelligence is on par with a sack of potatoes, (looks like a nice pub, doesn't it?) because I can't begin to find a valid argument against that. And since it couldn't possibly be due to the fact that you're attacking the person, instead of arguing against the idea, I must concede defeat. You, sir, are possessing of a mighty, mighty mind, against which, I clearly stand no chance. Cool



http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp
Quote:
Weapons & Ammunition

The falloff and range bonuses of Null ammo has been increased from 1.25 to 1.4.
In order to simplify the naming system in EVE, the following changes have been made to Weapons & Ammunition:
All EM missiles will now have the name ‘Mjolnir’.
All Thermal missiles will now have the name ‘Inferno’.
All Kinetic missiles will now have the name ‘Trauma’.
All Explosive missiles will now have the name ‘Nova’.
All scripts now carry the suffix ‘Script’ after their name. This affects Focused Warp Disruption, Optimal Range Disruption, Tracking Speed Disruption, Scan Resolution, Targeting Range, Optimal Range and Tracking Speed.
Shield hardeners, Shield resistance amplifiers, Armor hardeners, Energized plating and Resistance plating will all have a new prefix based on the damage type. These new prefixes will simply be EM/Thermal/Kinetic/Explosive.
Shield hardeners, Shield resistance amplifiers, Armor hardeners, Energized plating and Resistance plating which allow for multiple resist types will now carry the prefix ‘Adaptive’.
Modules and weapons for Capital, Battleships, Cruisers and Frigates will now show a size of XL, Large, Medium or Small for almost all items. Some exceptions will apply for named modules or X Large shield boosters for battleships. Unfortunately the list of all modules is much too large to fit into patch notes.


Quote:
Boosters & Implants

Skill Hardwiring implants have been simplified. Each hardwiring will now show what it effects in the name. For example, Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Gunslinger' LX-0 will now become Hardwiring - 'Gunslinger' Large Projectile Turret LX-001.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-01-26 04:54:00 UTC
How dare they rename things in such a manner that I won't need to click about ten times to figure out the name of a specific module/implant that I'm looking for!

This is clearly terrible for the future of eve and means that the fundamentals of the sandbox will soon be ruined forever!

LET'S MAKE A FORUM THREAD ABOUT THIS!
Taipion
Adeptus Petrous
#13 - 2012-01-26 04:56:38 UTC
It does not take much, to make a mistake, but a whole lot to admit it.

I wonder if CCP has what it takes, this time.
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-01-26 04:57:41 UTC
No... it just means that CCP is heading back to their normal behaviour again.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Selinate
#15 - 2012-01-26 05:01:18 UTC
People get a self-entitled feeling of a accomplishment when they're able to understand something that is overly-complicated, with parts and mechanisms that serve no purpose other than to confuse, annoy, or slow the user.

Basically you're bitching that they're removing the bits that had no purpose other than to stand in the way of playing the game. I'd say the subscriber base will go up as long as they keep doing this, as one of the main complaints about eve is navigating all the useless crap in the game.

Remember learning skills? Yeah, good riddance.
Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-01-26 05:01:49 UTC
Taipion wrote:
It does not take much, to make a mistake, but a whole lot to admit it.

I wonder if CCP has what it takes, this time.


ADMIT IT, CCP.

WE'RE COUNTING ON YOU, IF YOU DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR THIS GRAVE INJUSTICE AGAINST OUR GAME I WILL UNSUB FOREVAR.

oh god lol Lol
Alara IonStorm
#17 - 2012-01-26 05:02:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Roosterton wrote:

LET'S MAKE A FORUM THREAD ABOUT THIS!

No the five people who care won't be able to convince CCP like that.

THEY SHOULD MAKE FIFTEEN EACH AND EACH ONE AFTER THE OTHER NEEDS TO BE FARTHER AWAY FROM REALITY THEN THE LAST!


Missiles have been renamed EVE is Dead.
Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2012-01-26 05:03:57 UTC
Is there anything people won't ***** about?

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Alaric Faelen
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2012-01-26 05:04:39 UTC
I can take or leave the overly complicated names. Pretty much everything in Eve comes with this little blue button or a right click and hit 'Show Info' and viola...no real confusion. Most people only memorize the meta 4 modules they use instead of T2. I don't actually care what the names are- it's just something to remember later, and again, comes with a Show Info option......

That said, having actual names for things is more interesting than the bland designations of RL military equipment. Because I have at my fingertips this god-like ability to open a box who's sole purpose is to explain in great detail everything relevant about any given item/ship/module in the game- I really didn't need the dumbing down of item names either.

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-01-26 05:05:56 UTC
Tarsus Zateki wrote:
Is there anything people won't ***** about?

Good things?

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

123Next pageLast page