These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New Names! (for Missiles and Meta-Speed-Mods) Do you like them?

Author
Ticarus Hellbrandt
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#61 - 2012-01-24 18:49:33 UTC
The wowification of eve has begun.

new names are dumb and irritating.

why does everyone use an 'experimental' mwd?

whats a limited afterburner ?


the whole thing adds to the corrosion of the eve immersion and dare i say it... roleplay.
Rhondas
Perkone
Caldari State
#62 - 2012-01-24 18:50:54 UTC
so much trauma in this patch...
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#63 - 2012-01-24 18:51:12 UTC
Razin wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:


I am not CCP, nor do I work for them (as much as I'd like to).

Not surprised you found it hard to tell I was speaking to CCP.

You quoted me, and were responding to my post, so it logically follows you were speaking to me.

Razin wrote:

Petrus Blackshell wrote:
I have never seen anyone refer to the meta modules by name.
I have.

That's good for you. You know some people who like to hear themselves say big words and feel good about it.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Baljos Arnjak
Dark Praetorian Order
#64 - 2012-01-24 18:55:47 UTC
It's a resounding triple NO for me.

For the AB/MWD, they could have just added Afterburner or MicroWarpdrive and that would have made things clear enough. Some of them already had that anyway.

The missile change was terrible all around. Try doing a market search for "Mjolnir" now, you'll get like 50 entries that you have to sort through now Instead of 4 (regular torp, high-damage torp, longer range torp, and the T1 blueprint) under the old naming convention. Besides, I always used the icons to tell what damage type the missile was, blue for EM, red for Therm, yellow for Exp, black for kinetic. Wasn't that flippin' hard.
Captain Alcatraz
Did he say Jump
Dock Workers
#65 - 2012-01-24 18:57:35 UTC
Triple no, old names sounded much more sci-fi-ish, now they sound like streamlined game items
Reilly Duvolle
Hydra Squadron
#66 - 2012-01-24 18:57:37 UTC
Ion Rubix wrote:


"If I fit 'Catalyzed Cold-Gas Arcjet Thrusters' I get an extra 13% out of my engines!" - Noob Rubix said many moons ago. Big smile



So? Todays noob will say "If I fit an 'Experimental 1MN Microwarpdrive' I wil get an extra 13% out of my engines!"

At least this name indicates that we are in fact talking about a MWD
Tikktokk Tokkzikk
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#67 - 2012-01-24 18:58:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Tikktokk Tokkzikk
Personally, no. I am used to quickly type y-t8, cold-gas, and bane torpedo into the market. I do however think we will get used to it and it will be less confusing for new players, which is a good thing.

Edit: I'd also like to support what some guy said above, missile searching is much harder now!
Razin
The Scope
#68 - 2012-01-24 18:58:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Razin
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Razin wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:


I am not CCP, nor do I work for them (as much as I'd like to).

Not surprised you found it hard to tell I was speaking to CCP.

You quoted me, and were responding to my post, so it logically follows you were speaking to me.

I quoted you as a typical misguided supporter of this change to demonstrate the point to CCP, as was evidenced by the content of my post. Clearly your 'logic' failed you.
stoicfaux
#69 - 2012-01-24 19:00:16 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Baljos Arnjak wrote:

The missile change was terrible all around. Try doing a market search for "Mjolnir" now, you'll get like 50 entries that you have to sort through now Instead of 4 (regular torp, high-damage torp, longer range torp, and the T1 blueprint) under the old naming convention. Besides, I always used the icons to tell what damage type the missile was, blue for EM, red for Therm, yellow for Exp, black for kinetic. Wasn't that flippin' hard.


It's not hard. Just add an extra letter or two to the search:
mjolnir t
mjolnir cr
mjolnir ci
mjolnir h
mjolnir a
mjolnir r
mjolnir l

edit:
mjolnir rage
mjolnir fury
mjolnir prec
mjolnir jav

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#70 - 2012-01-24 19:04:01 UTC
Razin wrote:

I quoted you as a typical misguided supporter of this change to demonstrate the point to CCP, as was evidenced by the content of my post. Clearly your 'logic' failed you.

Or maybe we're just using different forum etiquette guidelines and there's no need for insult hurling.

No, that can't be right, this is the Eve forums.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2012-01-24 19:06:33 UTC
I think it would have been a little less... destabilizing to just prepend the existing names with something like "(1mn)" or "(EM)" and still equally identifying to all but the killmail parsers that would have to be updated for the changes.
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2012-01-24 19:08:07 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
I think it would have been a little less... destabilizing to just prepend the existing names with something like "(1mn)" or "(EM)" and still equally identifying to all but the killmail parsers that would have to be updated for the changes.


Or even just putting the icon for the damage type next to the actual name of the missiles, since they all only use one anyways.
Razin
The Scope
#73 - 2012-01-24 19:11:27 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Razin wrote:

I quoted you as a typical misguided supporter of this change to demonstrate the point to CCP, as was evidenced by the content of my post. Clearly your 'logic' failed you.

Or maybe we're just using different forum etiquette guidelines and there's no need for insult hurling.

No, that can't be right, this is the Eve forums.

I agree I was a bit forceful. Just that this change really struck me as offensively unnecessary and ill thought out, when it could have been everything for everyone. Brought back the feeling of the Incarna fiasco and all that came with it.
Cryten Jones
Advantage Inc
#74 - 2012-01-24 19:12:25 UTC
Captain Alcatraz wrote:
Triple no, old names sounded much more sci-fi-ish, now they sound like streamlined game items



+1 from me on that mate, much rather have to *shock* read the stats and learn the world I live in. The old names had the feeling that some dude had come up with a product name to sell to the universe !

-CJ
Dirk Magnum
Spearhead Endeavors
#75 - 2012-01-24 19:13:07 UTC
How you can "simpify" the names of speed mods and missiles but not laser turrets is a little mystifying.
Regardless, speed mod change was unneccessary, missile change is awful.

                      "LIVE FAST DIE." - traditional Minmatar ethos [citation needed]

Baljos Arnjak
Dark Praetorian Order
#76 - 2012-01-24 19:13:54 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

It's not hard. Just add an extra letter or two to the search:
mjolnir t
mjolnir cr
mjolnir ci
mjolnir h
mjolnir a
mjolnir r
mjolnir l

edit:
mjolnir rage
mjolnir fury
mjolnir prec
mjolnir jav


True, but the point remains that you either have to type more or search through more results in order to find what you're looking for. I know it's more nitpicking than anything else, but it seems to me that this change takes away from immersion more than it adds to new player's experience or understanding of game mechanics.
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#77 - 2012-01-24 19:17:44 UTC
Ticarus Hellbrandt wrote:
whats a limited afterburner ?


Eating one Habañero pepper.

Eating the whole jar = experimental afterburner.
Baljos Arnjak
Dark Praetorian Order
#78 - 2012-01-24 19:19:34 UTC
Palovana wrote:
Ticarus Hellbrandt wrote:
whats a limited afterburner ?


Eating one Habañero pepper.

Eating the whole jar = experimental afterburner.


+1 for that, you damn near made me spit grape juice out my nose. ShockedLolBig smile
Reilly Duvolle
Hydra Squadron
#79 - 2012-01-24 19:19:48 UTC
Baljos Arnjak wrote:
but it seems to me that this change takes away from immersion more than it adds to new player's experience or understanding of game mechanics.


In case you missed it. CCP intends to rename everything according to a new simplified naming convention. Mods. Ammo. Implants. The lot.

If this isnt gonna help new players getting into the game more easily - and yes - use time on game mechanics rather than learning completely random names - I dont know what will.
Taipion
Adeptus Petrous
#80 - 2012-01-24 19:20:38 UTC
Ticarus Hellbrandt wrote:
The wowification of eve has begun.

new names are dumb and irritating.

why does everyone use an 'experimental' mwd?

whats a limited afterburner ?


the whole thing adds to the corrosion of the eve immersion and dare i say it... roleplay.


This, is actually a very good point!
Just the word I was looking for.

It breaks immersion, for old and new players alike, I dont know how You or CCP think bout it, but in my last lecture it says: You need to avoid breaking immersion to make a good game.

Maybe CCP did not learn their part (?)... oh well... never mind