These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do real People play EVE?

Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#41 - 2012-01-24 10:54:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Large Collidable Object wrote:
1st RULE: You do not talk about EVE.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about EVE.
3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out, ransom him then kill anyway.
4th RULE: Only 1000 guys to a fight.
[...]

As a matter of fact, I never talked about Eve IRL - I once found out that some guy i flew with for quite some time lived ~30 km from where i live - I went totally paranoid for weeks...

Concerning your options, I think you must be something vat-related - not quite sure if there's a brain in it.

Approximately 10 million people live within 30Km of where I live (also the TQ server). Statistically speaking, there must be at least 5000 EVE players in that area.

I have met one of them and introduced 2 more (1 of whom now has 3 accounts)

EDIT: Also last year I met up with Kugutsume n (the owner of the eponymous forum) and Endie (the head of the Goon Intelligence Agency), lovely fellows they are, great to have a beer with. Snappy dressers too, not like me. Interesting stories to tell, both in EVE and out of it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

R3dSh1ft
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-01-24 13:01:08 UTC
I also work in tech and know at least 10 people who play.
Holy One
Privat Party
#43 - 2012-01-24 13:23:32 UTC
If there's 40k online, half of them are alts and bots.
Thats not a lot of people.

I think more people probably read the football results on bbc.co.uk than that.

:)

Wot I Think
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-01-24 14:51:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Wot I Think
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

Amusing common traits, being male and with no hope to ever taste a girl.

If only there were a public education system that produced new legally available girls with financial difficulties every spring. A young man with a disposable income could benefit from a system like that.
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#45 - 2012-01-24 15:15:55 UTC
Wot I Think wrote:

"High-Sec or Null-Sec?"

That question he asked you, that is the EvE version of the Turin test. You failed and have been declared a failing AI construct.

Had a good chuckle at your post, thanks Big smile
Niko Takahashi
Yoshitomi Group
#46 - 2012-01-24 15:18:13 UTC
Metal Icarus wrote:
is it really that rare to find someone else that plays this game?

Damn.....

Yes this game is like the game that other gamer point to and laugh he plays EVE.
Minta Contha
Emergent Entity
#47 - 2012-01-24 16:07:29 UTC
I know 2 others in RL - one who used to play it years ago but was forced to give up by being constantly harassed by a griefer (probably because she was one of the 4 women who played it). The other is a friend who I persuaded to start with the buddy programme, which got me a free plex, but he stopped playing rather rapidly. Don't know why, he probably has a life or something.

My cooking is like my lovemaking - fast, greasy, and unsatisfying.

SabotNoob
Doomheim
#48 - 2012-01-24 16:36:50 UTC  |  Edited by: SabotNoob
One of the guys that helped me with getting into Astrophotography, someone that I had known for about 3 months at the time, mentioned wanting to make a new gaming rig.

"Oh, so what do you play?"
"Oh, just Battlefield, and EVE..."
"WTF WTF!!! Why didn't you say anything in the last 3 months!!!!!!????????"
Not his fault, he didn't know I was an EVE pilot either, lol.

Also know three other co-workers who play EVE. We met at a local EVE get-together, and coincidentally worked at the same place, LOL. We have lunches together, once in a while.

Met a local corp-member in person for lunch, who happens to work a few blocks away. Met another local EVE player in person along with the aforementioned local corp-member.

One of my former co-workers has heard a lot about EVE but has yet to give it a try.

So, I know 6 that play, and 1 that has heard a lot and may take the plunge at some point. I think I just won this thread? Big smile

EDIT: Didn't win. Cry Someone beat me to it.
Borun Tal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-01-24 16:38:36 UTC
Plutonian wrote:
I'd stop using that elevator.

This. Quickly.
G Baldanders
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2012-01-24 16:46:35 UTC
This kid in my grade used to play, but he's really busy with cub scouts now so doesn't play as much anymore.
Wreckless Eric
Kenshin.
Fraternity.
#51 - 2012-01-24 17:07:58 UTC
I met a bloke in a pub once who told me he'd got annoyed playing a game and broken his keyboard. Trouble was, he said, he needed the keyboard to exit the game.

Not EvE was it? I asked.

I'll never get that hour of my life back. Great game but by 'eck it can be a dull topic of conversation.
Krystal Flores
Deliverance.
Arrival.
#52 - 2012-01-24 17:45:51 UTC
Real people playing eve? I don't think they do. I have met a few people in eve that play Real Life though. People don't care much to talk about it in RL ive found, kinda kills what ever class you had before.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#53 - 2012-01-24 17:53:33 UTC
Wot I Think wrote:
I am 29 years old, white, male, with disposable income, no personal relationships, and a job in the technology field.

What are the odds I would end up playing EVE?

Frank is 37 years old, white, male, with a disposable income, a potentially fictional "picture of wife", and a job fixing elevators.

Today I met Frank, we talked about "free time", and I mentioned I play EVE, and his next question was:

"High-Sec or Null-Sec?"

What a strange coincidence.

My name is Frank and today I met this guy and the topic of free time came up . He mentioned he played EVE and I answered with...

HOLD ON...

NO FREAKIN' WAY...

What a small world.

Mr Epeen Cool
Adonis Lee Ongrard
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2012-01-24 18:19:12 UTC
I work at a home improvement store and two of my co-workers also play EVE. One's main is in a null-sec alliance and spends all of his time there, and the other's main is in a carebear corp in high-sec. I'm the bridge between the two, as I've done the null-sec living thing and the high-sec carebear thing as well as the low-sec pirate thing, on various characters. We only talk every once in a while, as our schedules rarely sync up ... but when we do, there are funny stories all around.
Cyniac
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-01-24 18:27:26 UTC
You need to adjust the vat chemistry again, it sounds like the potassium concentration is off again and you are starting to hallucinate.

Don't worry, any damage is probably reversible. Maybe.
Gantz Tleilax
Divided Unity
#56 - 2012-01-25 08:10:02 UTC
I knew this guy who would run up and down the street in fishnet stockings pulling out his penis, near where a worked

. . . He played Eve.
Holy One
Privat Party
#57 - 2012-03-06 00:04:53 UTC
Gantz Tleilax wrote:
I knew this guy who would run up and down the street in fishnet stockings pulling out his *****, near where a worked

. . . He played Eve.

Troub doesn't play Eve anymore.

:)

Cyprus Black
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-03-06 00:07:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
Most of my shipmates play EvE. Most that is, except one who plays That Other Game.

We laugh at him and we make sure he knows why.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#59 - 2012-03-06 00:18:28 UTC
Atticus Fynch wrote:
Wot I Think wrote:
a potentially fictional "picture of wife",

LOL.

I have a "came-with-the-frame" family photo on my desk.Ugh

When my real life fellow eve friend got married, he and his wife got one of those picture frames and left the hallmark couple picture in it for months. After a while I yanked it out and signed it "Best wishes from Frank and June". They kept it that way for years.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#60 - 2012-03-06 00:38:09 UTC
I usually start out by talking about MMO's in general, see if people even play those. Most don't but when I find the occasional person who does, the exchange of 'What do you play' comes up. I tell them EVE Online and they give me this wierd look like I said I run over my kids with a push mower.

Actual EVE players? never.