These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Semi-Epic Arcs

Author
James Zimmer
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2017-07-04 16:18:56 UTC
Most missions in Eve are fairly boring. You go to a place, shoot all the rats, maybe pick up an object and maybe shoot a structure. There's no connection to anything that's happening. They're a necessary way to bring ISK into the game, but all in all, they're pretty grindy and uninteresting.

On the other hand, Epic Arcs are fantastic. There is compelling storytelling and a sense of adventure as you travel around a region completing objectives while being passed new objectives throughout the mission. I never really knew the landscape of Amarr highsec until I did the Amarr Epic Arc.

I think it would be awesome if there were short Epic Arc-like missions series, with maybe 4-5 missions which tell a compelling story about the corporation and a good, lore-related reward. You could have an LP earned bar that slowly fills (regardless if you spend LP) and once it's full, you can run the mission series and it drops the LP bar back to zero. It would give you something to shoot for while you're grinding level 4s. You could do all sorts of things to make the missions more interesting, like ship limitations and excursions out to lowsec. In my opinion, it would make PvE content more fun and compelling.
Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2017-07-04 16:29:45 UTC
People will argue that Eve is a PVP game, and that development time should be focused on that. I sort of disagree with that sentiment.

Players need a reason to meet each other, and PVE is generally that reason.

Epic story arcs that end up taking players out into low and null with compelling stories that press the carebears hard enough that they want to take that plunge, may increase the chances for combat.

If CCP did want to go this way, send an intern over to Bioware (pre-EA Bioware) or Projekt Red. If ever there was a company that knew how to tell a story, it would be one of those. Mah feels still tingle when I think about Mordin or Bastila Shan.

It is certainly out-of-scope of the current game vision, I would say. But involving players in a "I have to see where this goes" story arc could certainly drive players into pvp situations.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#3 - 2017-07-04 18:02:07 UTC
Just wait till you've ran the epic arcs a few more times. They are just as dull and boring as missions. Just like you complained, all you do is go somewhere, shoot something or haul something and then go somewhere else.

The same would happen, but faster, in your short epic arcs.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#4 - 2017-07-04 19:07:40 UTC
What you want is procedural world driven missions.
Where factions have 'hubs' that they spill out from that can be either known faction spaces, or hidden moving constellations in enemy territory that reflect their current 'efforts'.
And those factions then attempt to achieve objectives in those areas and you can pick sides in said objectives and engage appropriate NPC's.

Think creep for how the system works, except instead of creep it's density & difficulty of missions.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#5 - 2017-07-04 20:06:53 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
What you want is procedural world driven missions.
Where factions have 'hubs' that they spill out from that can be either known faction spaces, or hidden moving constellations in enemy territory that reflect their current 'efforts'.
And those factions then attempt to achieve objectives in those areas and you can pick sides in said objectives and engage appropriate NPC's.

Think creep for how the system works, except instead of creep it's density & difficulty of missions.

Faction warfare.

You get missions that take you into enemy areas to blow up miners, industrials, bases, assassinate commanders etc and your mission shows up to everyone in system as a beacon so they can warp to it. They're relatively easy and pay out large amounts of lp but you are likely to get interrupted by other players.

If only the npc's didn't shoot their own side and things were a bit more procedurally generated as you say. And more organic. It'd be nice if when hunting an enemy commander, said commander/group warped around a bit and had to be hunted with d-scan.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Tiberius NoVegas
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2017-07-04 21:28:07 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Just wait till you've ran the epic arcs a few more times. They are just as dull and boring as missions. Just like you complained, all you do is go somewhere, shoot something or haul something and then go somewhere else.

i think thats one of the OP's complaints. there isnt enough epic arcs to keep things fresh and entertaining.
James Zimmer
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2017-07-05 05:36:49 UTC  |  Edited by: James Zimmer
Tiberius NoVegas wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

i think thats one of the OP's complaints. there isnt enough epic arcs to keep things fresh and entertaining.

Yeah, that's largely it. I think there are hundreds of NPC corporations that you can run missions with, and if grinding up the standing with different ones led you to a different, more interesting and potentially more valuable result than saving the damsel in distress again, it may give people a reason to explore more parts of the game, and provide a natural way to present lore. I think there are some especially interesting opportunities in low and null, which, with a little bit of creativity and good incentives, could encourage people to go do something more adventurous and risky than they would normally be willing to do.

Also, while this would certainly be a time sink for the devs, it's not like developing entirely new mechanics, and there's no need to get it all done at one time. One new mission, with some exciting background and lore, every couple of months would probably keep people interested, and once it's there, it's a permanent part of the game that doesn't require any work to maintain.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#8 - 2017-07-05 15:53:59 UTC
Except it does require maintaining, even missions require checking over with updates.
And it would still become stale, it would just take a fraction longer to do so.
Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2017-07-05 16:04:50 UTC
Developers deal with code. You don't need a developer to design a mission, you only need a dev to design a tool that allows a designer to make a mission.

At that point, it just becomes a Q/A thing, which the players of Eve do on a full-time basis.

As a simplistic example, for some reason Starcraft comes to mind. You could build your own maps, scenarios, etc, using their built in map builder.

By building such a tool once, content becomes as simple as generating it and maintaining it within that environment. No special skillset required. Which means you can send out the interns to build the content after the tool exists.
Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2017-07-05 16:15:10 UTC
For that matter... put it to the playerbase.

A competition. Use the tool, design an epic mission arc. Players submit their designs, it's tested on the thunderdome, winner gets a thousand plex and their mission arc goes into TQ after it gets QA'd by CCP to ensure it won't be used to abuse something (like funneling players into your home pocket in null for easy farming).