These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Dividing High Sec borders with Low Sec

Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#21 - 2017-06-30 05:23:56 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
The original thread was about piracy but that was ridiculous, since if you substantially increase the risk of trade people will stop engaging in the high risk behavior.


This point should be called out on it's own. I see a constant failure to appreciate this point. If the risks get high enough, you just stop...move on to something less risky and that's that. Same thing with firms, "Oh, your costs went up, well raise your prices." Thing is people react negatively to that price increase and the marginal firms...their optimal response is shut down and let those resources be moved to other activities.

Freighters will not attempt to cross those LS border zones. So the idea of catching and killing them will not happen.*

*The exception being the odd idiot who does not fully understand the differences between LS and HS.


Yup, exactly this.

Also idiots who don't understand how Low Sec works generally either figure it out long before they can fly or afford a Freighter, or they fly through Rancer as things are now. In either case you don't need walls of Low Sec to see them die to their own stupidity.


As the saying goes, "Welcome to Rancer...." Twisted

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Xzanos
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2017-06-30 12:54:42 UTC
This doesn't really make sense.

First off the allied factions would probably have BETTER security at there shared borders as these systems would be closer and bore easily patrolled by faction military forces (RP wise OFC)

I could maybe see an area of low sec between the enemy factions as they would not want to encroach on each others territory, maybe something like the neutral zone in Star Trek.

But all in all i think that it makes perfect sense the way it is now, Especially when you think about the fact that the factions went through a very long period of relative peace until the events that brought FW to the game.

*activates thermal hardeners for incoming flame

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2017-06-30 19:05:41 UTC
Xzanos wrote:
This doesn't really make sense.

First off the allied factions would probably have BETTER security at there shared borders as these systems would be closer and bore easily patrolled by faction military forces (RP wise OFC)

I could maybe see an area of low sec between the enemy factions as they would not want to encroach on each others territory, maybe something like the neutral zone in Star Trek.

But all in all i think that it makes perfect sense the way it is now, Especially when you think about the fact that the factions went through a very long period of relative peace until the events that brought FW to the game.


The system security status is set by CONCORD, not the empires. A lot of system under empire control are not High-sec systems. The question isn't would the empire logically be better off with a low-sec border zone but does it make sense for CONCORD to enforce high-sec law like they do now or would dividing the current pocket make more sense.

That also happen to be all lore stuff so it does not really matter much since CCP cana lways spin the lore however they want for gameplay reasons.
Cade Windstalker
#24 - 2017-06-30 20:32:31 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Xzanos wrote:
This doesn't really make sense.

First off the allied factions would probably have BETTER security at there shared borders as these systems would be closer and bore easily patrolled by faction military forces (RP wise OFC)

I could maybe see an area of low sec between the enemy factions as they would not want to encroach on each others territory, maybe something like the neutral zone in Star Trek.

But all in all i think that it makes perfect sense the way it is now, Especially when you think about the fact that the factions went through a very long period of relative peace until the events that brought FW to the game.


The system security status is set by CONCORD, not the empires. A lot of system under empire control are not High-sec systems. The question isn't would the empire logically be better off with a low-sec border zone but does it make sense for CONCORD to enforce high-sec law like they do now or would dividing the current pocket make more sense.

That also happen to be all lore stuff so it does not really matter much since CCP cana lways spin the lore however they want for gameplay reasons.


Sec status is determined by CONCORD, but it's also related in lore to how heavily patrolled the system is by the empires. That's why pirate activity in Low Sec is greater and why Low Sec space is largely on the borders of each empire rather than being in its core systems.

CONCORD is effectively enforcing the Yulai accords within the Empires but only to the extent that the Empires also enforce their own laws there. After all CONCORD isn't there to swat pirates.
Tessa Sage
Long Pig Luncheon Meat
Sending Thots And Players
#25 - 2017-07-01 08:10:15 UTC
Axure Abbacus wrote:
-24/7 dreadnought or Super Capital gate camps on Region to region trading?

-Concord taxes all trade.


Those same gate camps would be in cyno range, and station taxes are independent of system sec rating until you hit sov.

Anyway, a lowsec crossover would make for interesting PVE hotspots, as these systems connecting the big trade hubs would be in immediate line to buy lots of ratting gear off those caravans.

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#26 - 2017-07-01 14:15:04 UTC
Tyrant's Bane wrote:
I know this has probably been suggested before, and in all honesty will likely be suggested again in the future, buy why not change up how High Sec/Low Sec are divided.

As it is High sec is for the most part one large continuous space between all four empires. Why not change it so that NONE of the high sec empires are connected to each other directly. Instead have Low sec in between them, turning it into a frontier/contested border regionbetween the 4 empires and 0.0.

To me this just makes a lot more sense, and quite honestly gives a bit of a boost to piracy and FW play-wise.


suggested so many times I cant even count for numerous reasons. everyone would just move some where like jita.

theres not even hundreds of systems connecting the empires, they all connect at a small select few systems with 1 set of gates and that's it, what you want would need to completely rearrange all the gates and systems in order to make more points

you can get to empires by other more direct routes that are low sec, but to get there by empire is a select few systems which by consequence is also heavily camped

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Dior Ambraelle
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2017-07-01 17:51:23 UTC
How about the other side of this idea: the low-sec border zones would basically create a "tunnel" or "highway" between null regions on the opposite sides of the cluster. You wouldn't need to move capital fleets around hi-sec anymore. If we could keep most of the current gate connections to serve as bridges, so moving through the new zones won't be mandatory, then we could insert the low-sec systems between them.

If you want an intelligent argument, please do, I'm up for it!

But if you want a trolling contest, I will win it by simply not participating.

Cindy the Sewer
Radiation Sickness
#28 - 2017-07-04 22:40:05 UTC
If you read all the previous threads on this topic then you should know by now that the idea is crap, so why post it again?

Searing destruction of your viewpoint is incoming and no you won't win the discussion or even walk away with anything resembling a win, so bail out early or suffer repeated embarrassments. You have been warned.

Axure Abbacus
Pentex Subsidiaries Corp
Pentex Subsidiaries Corp Alliance
#29 - 2017-07-04 23:47:51 UTC
Cindy the Sewer wrote:
If you read all the previous threads on this topic then you should know by now that the idea is crap, so why post it again?

Games Change, new groups of players have different opinions. To rehash buttheurt from days past. Poor Google use. TL/DR? Really wants carebear cuddle time.

It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

Previous page12