These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: "Frigates Of EVE Online: The Cross Sections" Now Available!

First post
Author
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2017-06-13 16:15:08 UTC
Super exciting news! The fantastic book Frigates Of EVE Online: The Cross Sections is now available.

[img]http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/73140/1/EVEOFR_CVR-BC.JPG[/img]

This is a book we´ve been wanting to bring to you for many years - and finally it is in the stores around the world that generally carry Dark Horse books! You can buy it online at Amazon

[img]http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/73140/1/EVE_FRIGATES_R6-61.jpg[/img]

160 pages of spaceawesome, 28 illustrated frigates, several short stories, technical articles and painting!

Dive into the details (and preview pictures) and read the blog Frigates Of EVE Online: The Cross Sections Now Available!

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

April rabbit
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2017-06-13 16:32:26 UTC
I'm just curious: if you decide to remodel some ships this book will be outdated? Or ... ?
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2017-06-13 16:32:44 UTC
First!
edit: Second
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2017-06-13 16:34:32 UTC
April rabbit wrote:
I'm just curious: if you decide to remodel some ships this book will be outdated? Or ... ?

The book is a slice in time, so yes, they would look outdated. We´ll see. A few of the ships in the book were updated during the production of the book, so we had to push them to the very end of the schedule exactly for that reason. We didn´t know what hey would look like. It´s a challenge working on a moving target like EVE.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#5 - 2017-06-13 16:48:45 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
April rabbit wrote:

The book is a slice in time, so yes, they would look outdated. We´ll see. A few of the ships in the book were updated during the production of the book, so we had to push them to the very end of the schedule exactly for that reason. We didn´t know what hey would look like. It´s a challenge working on a moving target like EVE.

dang empires updating their ships!

Sad I missed out on the limited edition, but preordered this on amazon and hopefully it shows up today!

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Kronossan
Bellum Esca
#6 - 2017-06-13 17:07:33 UTC
Lots of damage like small tears and wrinkles on the outside box of my limited edition sadly :(

Content is amazing though, even better than I expected.
CCP Falcon
#7 - 2017-06-13 20:08:58 UTC
Kronossan wrote:
Lots of damage like small tears and wrinkles on the outside box of my limited edition sadly :(

Content is amazing though, even better than I expected.

You should contact customerservice@dpipromo.com

Attach photos of the damage and a copy of you receipt, and you should be able to get it replaced most likely if it's internal damage that was not caused by shipping.

If it was damaged by the shipping company, they may be able to assist you there too Smile

Sorry to hear it was busted Sad

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Kronossan
Bellum Esca
#8 - 2017-06-13 20:57:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kronossan
CCP Falcon wrote:

You should contact customerservice@dpipromo.com

Attach photos of the damage and a copy of you receipt, and you should be able to get it replaced most likely if it's internal damage that was not caused by shipping.

If it was damaged by the shipping company, they may be able to assist you there too Smile

Sorry to hear it was busted Sad

Thanks for your reply, will contact them tomorrow!

The book is amazing though, there's so much more stuff in there than I expected and all of it actually makes sense in a sci-fi kind of way (suspension of disbelief?). Definitely worth the purchase, even for people who didn't manage to grab a hold of the limited edition.

Update: replacement was sent immediately after contacting the store's customer support, great service!
Light Raider
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2017-06-14 21:21:20 UTC
So,

according to this:

If you missed out on getting hold of these ships as part of the Fanfest offers, then fear not!

In the near future they will be available as rewards in game for certain activities, as well as for other promotions and offers in future!

Can the proud owners of the infamous "Mystery Code" and now owners of the "Frigates of EvE Code" expect to have hopes of getting both ships so we can apply the new acquired skins?

Best regards
The Invisible Man
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2017-06-15 19:32:16 UTC
When and where did mystery card owners get this?
Light Raider
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2017-06-15 21:45:28 UTC
The Invisible Man wrote:
When and where did mystery card owners get this?

This what? The skins? It was given by a code on the collection edition of "Frigates of EvE"
The Invisible Man
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2017-06-15 23:15:03 UTC
You said the mystery card owners are now owners of a "Frigates of Eve" code. So i mean that code, but i didn't get the collectors edition of "Frigates of Eve".
Light Raider
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2017-06-16 18:01:11 UTC
The Invisible Man wrote:
You said the mystery card owners are now owners of a "Frigates of Eve" code. So i mean that code, but i didn't get the collectors edition of "Frigates of Eve".

I'm sorry I made myself unclear, I meant those players that have both collector editions of "EvE Into the second decade" and "Frigates of EvE".

Hope it got clear now.
El Geo
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#14 - 2017-06-17 17:34:35 UTC
Why am i the only one that can see the purple mess of a background on the cover pic??
The Invisible Man
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2017-06-18 14:32:58 UTC
Light Raider wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:

I'm sorry I made myself unclear, I meant those players that have both collector editions of "EvE Into the second decade" and "Frigates of EvE".

Hope it got clear now.

Yes thank you.
Cultob Aihaken
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2017-06-19 22:00:15 UTC
So....just curious on why the decision was made to not show the pod bays on certain ships such as the Kestrel and the Slicer. Was there a reason or was it just random and up to the artist?
Caroline Grace
Retrostellar Boulevard
#17 - 2017-06-22 01:01:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Caroline Grace
The Amazing

● I love the incredible visual detail that was put into the art of each spaceship. Huge amount of work went into drawing all those little reactors, cables and generators. That is simply amazing.

● The fact the idea of this book materialized is beyond words. It is a fundamental boost to immersion, lore and canon for me.

● The fact everything in the book makes sense is fantastic. There is nothing unrealistic anywhere and everything fits into the lore with no problem.

● I love that you took the time to show extra details like the Exotic Dancers crew in Navitas or fancy quarters in Golden Magnate. I appreciate all the thoughts to show little things like cargo payloads or minimalistic stairs for the crew in engineering areas.

The Good

● The art of all cross sections is sharp and big enough to appreciate it immediately and understand how it connects to the other parts of the ship.

● I appreciate all the great effort to make everything reasonable and fitting aka external reactor visible from an in-game model is also being a reactor inside the cross section's spaceship art in the book.

● The amount of technical description of each part of the spaceships is incredible and mind-blowing.

The Bad

● I'd love to have one-sentence descriptions for many other parts. Lot of times I caught myself to wonder about some cool little thingy I found, but there was no description.

● Some parts of the art have bold lines around them, while others are smooth without any lines. In some cases it breaks the nice flow of the art for me.

● Some frigates are unfruitful to general audience. Great example is Breacher. Cool little spaceship, but not many people are losing butts over her. Yet take an Astero; a spaceship loved by many, yet it is missing in the book.

The Ugly

● Not enough focus on the crew, quarters and living areas is a big hit for immersion for me. Some frigates feel like a machine with no room for anyone except the capsuleer. Yet they still have tiny windows and rooms hidden from the cross section art.

● I miss the human element, I'd love to see more tiny engineers near the reactors, more janitors, more exotic dancers and more priests banging empresses.

● I would appreciate bigger spaceships in general. In the next book (wink wink) let's focus on various classes, like a cruiser, a battleship, a carrier and so on. Also, I'd like the EVE players to vote which specific spaceships they would like to see in the book.

I'm Caroline Grace, and this is my favorite musical on the Citadel.

Valhala King
Next Chapter For New Adventures
#18 - 2017-06-26 21:56:58 UTC

Mine came in the mail as a fathers day gift:

Big smile

Unlike the other books, memorabilia, Ticket stubs and stuff of EVE we have, this one will go on the coffee table for all to see and peruse.

Very nicely done CCP and Dark Horse.

Thanks everyone who made it so...We look forward to the next, here is hopes of a series on the ships and stuff of EVE.

fly safe 07
Semper Fi
Vk and co...

GoodGreyer Ayderan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2017-06-29 03:45:39 UTC

Without giving us some decent hi-rez full page images to examine how are we to know the quality of the cross-sections, the artwork, descriptions and other text we would be getting?

It's a 160 page book, therefore so what if someone decides to print out the 5 sample images you provided should you give us hi-rez images of those pages.

Deus Reliquit
Real Simple Academy
Brave United
#20 - 2017-06-30 15:28:32 UTC
Question,

How many more Cross Sections can we expect? I hope EVERY SHIP including rats and sleepers etc. And when you do the ORE class include the rocks, ice and gas too please. Thanks in advance.Cool

DR o7