These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Black ops POS

Author
Jason Edwards
Internet Tough Guy
#1 - 2012-01-24 05:34:57 UTC
Black ops pos that cant be scanned down, has no bubble, but otherwise acts like a pos with obvious exceptions like no guns or ecm, no moon mining. The idea being that you deploy it in a safespot and your gang is meant to stick around ship maintenance or corp hangers; as well as black ops cyno beacons(which have the opposite effect in that if you have sov in the system you get no beacon).

However there are lots of vulnerable times for the POS. You jump to that beacon with your black ops. you're going to be sitting by it uncloaked for 15 seconds. If you use the ship maintenance array you are uncloaked. To use corp hanger you're uncloaked. If someone gets a scan off on you. You're black ops pos just got found out.
Lano Calani
Hoover Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#2 - 2012-01-24 11:46:45 UTC
Shocked

Awful idea. Black ops mechanics are already perfect for getting into non cyno jammed systems discretely. Adding a "un probable" pos is pretty silly. Black ops ships can already cloak, so you dont need a pos. Black ops can bridge haulers, so you dont need a corp hanger.

-1
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-01-24 15:37:30 UTC
So you want a way for people to anchor a POS in utter and complete safety with no way to scan it down and not even tied to a moon? Wow...

That's a no.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Drake Draconis
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-01-24 15:47:41 UTC
Jason Edwards wrote:
Black ops pos that cant be scanned down, has no bubble, but otherwise acts like a pos with obvious exceptions like no guns or ecm, no moon mining. The idea being that you deploy it in a safespot and your gang is meant to stick around ship maintenance or corp hangers; as well as black ops cyno beacons(which have the opposite effect in that if you have sov in the system you get no beacon).

However there are lots of vulnerable times for the POS. You jump to that beacon with your black ops. you're going to be sitting by it uncloaked for 15 seconds. If you use the ship maintenance array you are uncloaked. To use corp hanger you're uncloaked. If someone gets a scan off on you. You're black ops pos just got found out.


Your not trolling hard enough....go back to school. -9999 / 10

================ STOP THE EVEMAIL SPAM! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=78152

Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#5 - 2012-01-24 19:27:39 UTC
Why are you not banned from the forums yet for awful trolling?

Seriously...

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Nekopyat
Nee-Co
#6 - 2012-01-24 20:03:38 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
So you want a way for people to anchor a POS in utter and complete safety with no way to scan it down and not even tied to a moon? Wow...

That's a no.


Well, NPCs can already do it ;p

This is actually something that has always bugged me about EvE's mechanics... players and NPCs seem to operate by a very different set of rules. Personally I think players should be able to set up a POS anywhere, including setting up locked acceleration gates and dead space bubbles defended by sentry towers.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-01-24 20:09:32 UTC
Well...acceleration gates would perhaps make me change my mind. So long as the acceleration gate was of course able to be scanned and led to the POS then fine. But then it defeates the purpose. A hidden and unscannable POS would break WH mechanics as well as nullsec war mechanics if you ask me.

As for your reasoning of if the rats can then why can't we? I agree...it is an annoyance but one we must live with in any game. Give me a way to make this happen without breaking said mechanics and I would be cool with such an idea.

Frankly I wish rats would regularly attack POS's. Not just in WH space but everywhere. Incursion systems should attempt to clear out what POS's are there by destroying them...the lower the sec status the stronger the rats and more likely the POS to be destroyed.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Nekopyat
Nee-Co
#8 - 2012-01-24 20:17:51 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Well...acceleration gates would perhaps make me change my mind. So long as the acceleration gate was of course able to be scanned and led to the POS then fine. But then it defeates the purpose. A hidden and unscannable POS would break WH mechanics as well as nullsec war mechanics if you ask me.


*nods* I would not be in favor of the 'unscannable' part either. I just want the ability to place stuff anywhere and build mazes of doom out of gates, deadspace, and sentry towers ^_^ Being able to lock gates would make things even more interesting since that means an attacker would have to pop your (or a corp member's) ship first to get the key....
Temba Ronin
#9 - 2012-01-24 20:37:13 UTC
Nekopyat wrote:
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Well...acceleration gates would perhaps make me change my mind. So long as the acceleration gate was of course able to be scanned and led to the POS then fine. But then it defeates the purpose. A hidden and unscannable POS would break WH mechanics as well as nullsec war mechanics if you ask me.


*nods* I would not be in favor of the 'unscannable' part either. I just want the ability to place stuff anywhere and build mazes of doom out of gates, deadspace, and sentry towers ^_^ Being able to lock gates would make things even more interesting since that means an attacker would have to pop your (or a corp member's) ship first to get the key....

Placing a pos or an acceleration gate that needed to be scanned down because it was not at a moon would be very interesting. Use the gate and experience it's hazards, jump to the POS and experience it's defenses, or just camp the acceleration gate and try to ambush a corp member. Would be nice to set up a series of gates that led to a bubbled death star trap. Sounds like fun. Safe spots could be occupied by a POS far away from moons. Seems like this idea has more plus then minus. Players could actually decide where and how to populate systems as opposed to only doing as CCP currently allows, i prefer player choices. Power to the Players.

The Best Ship In EVE Online Is "Friendship", Power To The Players!

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-01-24 22:20:49 UTC
I think an idea of this nature will require a LOT of fleshing out. I can already think of a few issues with this such as taking down a gate and putting it back up somewhere else to avoid someone using a "key" when a pilot is killed. I dunno...seems like a lot of work to make sure the system is not abused.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821