These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Motorcycles!

Author
Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-01-22 02:04:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Squidgey
Join in game channel "motorcycles"!

If you don't see anyone in there, keep it open for the rest of us. Kind of hard to get a group of people in there if everyone just leaves.

This forum needs more of them.
So who rides?

What do you own?

Do you like working on them?

Cruisers, HDs, sport bikes, standards, enduro, "adventure" riding. Whatever, riding is riding. So who does it?

I have a "project" underway right now myself. A 97 ZX7R.

Here is what I started with.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/Squidsimages/2011-08-05195635.jpg

Took off a few stickers.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/Squidsimages/IMG_20110815_191243.jpg

Took it apart.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/Squidsimages/current.jpg

And I got these today.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/Squidsimages/IMG_20120121_123251.jpg
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-01-22 02:43:18 UTC
I ride, still have my first bike.

1996 Harley-Davidson 883

Not sure how to work on it yet, my understanding of it's workings are hand-throttle-magic-go faster.

Cruisers are the best because with the wide leather seat on my Harley it's comfy and I can ride all day and not a single **** will be given Cool

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

W1rlW1nd
WirlWind
#3 - 2012-01-22 06:24:15 UTC
2001 GXR1300 'Busa
I looove it but haven't ridden for long time:( when the weather gets nicer I'll take it out for a spin.

Used to also have a gorgeous red 800 Intruder, but couldn't justify having two bikes.

Started on a 450 Nighthawk which was way too tall for me lol. I'd lay it down all the time, I was such a crappy rider until I took a proper driving course.

I don't work on them myself, but it would be cool to have skills like that.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-01-22 07:56:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Surfin's PlunderBunny
Why anyone would give up a good bike for a crotch rocket is beyond me. Guess I've just been spoiled ever since I went looking for my first bike and the guy that sold me the Harley said "Get on and fire it up"

Like I wasn't going to be a Harley rider forever at that point.... http://youtu.be/etbxRm17s8s (mine has forward controls, I hate the curvy handles and the ones that look like I'm hanging off a crossbeam)

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

W1rlW1nd
WirlWind
#5 - 2012-01-22 09:45:10 UTC  |  Edited by: W1rlW1nd
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Why anyone would give up a good bike for a crotch rocket is beyond me. ...

HAha, I know what you mean, they are two completely different lifestyles:)

If I could afford to have both I would have kept it, the Intruder was super reliable, never failed me. And on cold mountain rides I could reach down and heat up my gloves on the big V engine block while moving, probably not a safe thing to do but it would be worse to lose feeling in my hands.

Low and slow cruising was awesome, and the Intruder looks so much like a Harley that Hog riders would wave every time:)

But then there was this whole other world, like overtaking a group of sportbikes on the freeway, and all the helmets look back like they can't believe something is moving faster than they are haha:) Moments like that are priceless.

The Busa is such a beast of technology and engine, It really is like some kind of rocket . . . and I do seem to have a certain penchant for space ships. . .
Jago Kain
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-01-22 11:32:57 UTC
I ride a 1994 Suzuki GSX 1100 F.... I believe they were badged as katanas in the USA, but know as the Powerscreen over here in Blighty.

Bought it a little under three years ago as my get-back-into-biking/mid-life-crisis bike after a hiatus of 13 years or so.

Awesomely cheap way of going very fast. Cost me £1500 on e-bay and less than £200 a year fully comp.

It's a bit heavy and slow by modern sportsbikes standards, but has loads of torque low down and goes if you need it to, but is very civilised if you stay in the lower half of the rev range. Best of both worlds really.

Certainly there's very little on four wheels that will touch it, and I know I shouldn't rise to the bait but I am rather partial to traffic light grand prix when some little snot-bag Corsa driver rolls up and starts revving his engine and rocking back and forth in his seat like mummy isn't getting him his bottle fast enough. Petty I know, but watching them get rapidly smaller in the mirrors never gets old.

The suzy came with heated grips which I'd never had on a bike before. I'd never have a bike without now... possibly the best invention ever for bikes as there is nothing more miserable than a biker with cold and wet hands.

Not too good with the maintenance thing, beyond changing pads and checking the chain, but I have a tame mechanic locally who's reasonable with his labour charges and trust worthy so that's not too bad. He also runs his shop like a drop-in centre and lots of the local bikers are always dropping in for coffee and ill-informed political debates.

Not overly fond of Harleys. I'd prolly have one if my lottery numbers came up, but there are so many other bikes I'd have first. Each to their own I suppose. Lol

One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings - Diogenes.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-01-22 12:03:18 UTC
I've been wanting to grab a Goldwing 1800GL and create a custom Valkyrie Rune out of it.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

xplosiv
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-01-22 12:28:45 UTC
Harley s are terrible. The engine is so out dated. If you want to go that way look into a Victory. You will be far more respected by people who know their ****.

Had a chrome monster. got bored of keeping the chrome A++

Have a triumph speed triple of 2000 vintage. Very happy with it. Would not trade.
If i ever had to have another bike it would be a Ducati Diaval . All i can say is that i took a test ride. And WOW. All the comfort of a cruiser and all the performance of a Sports bike.

Its actually faster off the line than the previous ducati sports bike Due to the MASSIVE torq.
Vachir Khan
Rugged Ruff and Ready
#9 - 2012-01-22 18:01:01 UTC
I have an old Moto Guzzi V7, it's not fast and it's certainly not reliable but it has soul. Wouldn't trade it for another other than a Triumph Tripple.
Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-01-23 22:32:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Squidgey
Why anyone would give up a good bike for a crotch rocket is beyond me. Guess I've just been spoiled ever since I went looking for my first bike and the guy that sold me the Harley said "Get on and fire it up"

Like I wasn't going to be a Harley rider forever at that point.... http://youtu.be/etbxRm17s8s (mine has forward controls, I hate the curvy handles and the ones that look like I'm hanging off a crossbeam)

Because I think they are boring as ****. And I cant sit on them for more than about a half hour without my back hurting.

Exactly the opposite of what people would generally say about them.

I have ridden that 7R upwards of 300 miles at a time, only stopping for fuel.

I personally think they sound terrible, and the mileage you get out of them is horrible considering how little power they make. Running EXTREMELY rich over the last summer I still averaged 40 mpg.

And by extremely rich, I mean jets which were two sizes too large, and needles set two clips too high. Whoever worked on my bike before I bought it was an idiot.
Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-01-23 22:38:50 UTC
W1rlW1nd wrote:

If I could afford to have both I would have kept it, the Intruder was super reliable, never failed me. And on cold mountain rides I could reach down and heat up my gloves on the big V engine block while moving, probably not a safe thing to do but it would be worse to lose feeling in my hands.

Low and slow cruising was awesome, and the Intruder looks so much like a Harley that Hog riders would wave every time:)

But then there was this whole other world, like overtaking a group of Ninjas on the freeway, and all the helmets look back like they can't believe something is moving faster than they are haha:) Moments like that are priceless. (Not to knock my ZX bretheren)

The Busa is such a beast of technology and engine, It really is like some kind of rocket . . . and I do seem to have a certain penchant for space ships. . .

Well, to be fair going faster than them is easy to do if they are doing less than maximum lol. And the busa is a rattletrap. One of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever ridden. They shake like hardleys... Full of vibration and generally just feel cheap.

Ive ridden two of them.

If you want the fastest bike on the planet, the busa is not what you buy anymore. The ZX-14 is. Stock vs stock the 14 wins (not by much mind you) but it rides almost as smooth as a GL1800.

Riding is riding. I just hate it when people shove their busa down my throat like they are some magical creation. By all accounts the 14 is a better bike.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-01-24 00:34:39 UTC
Squidgey wrote:
W1rlW1nd wrote:

But then there was this whole other world, like overtaking a group of Ninjas on the freeway, and all the helmets look back like they can't believe something is moving faster than they are haha:) Moments like that are priceless. (Not to knock my ZX bretheren)

Well, to be fair going faster than them is easy to do if they are doing less than maximum lol. And the busa is a rattletrap. One of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever ridden. They shake like hardleys... Full of vibration and generally just feel cheap.

Ive ridden two of them.

If you want the fastest bike on the planet, the busa is not what you buy anymore. The ZX-14 is. Stock vs stock the 14 wins (not by much mind you) but it rides almost as smooth as a GL1800.

Riding is riding. I just hate it when people shove their busa down my throat like they are some magical creation. By all accounts the 14 is a better bike.

If I wanted a fast bike I'd just drop the $30,000 ($24,000 for the cheaper version) on a Ducati 1199 Panigale (200hp on a 375lb bike, they don't even give you the 0-60 time because no one's stupid enough to find out) but I prefer the heavier Harley. I like the wave riders give each other.... it's like a Harley brohoof Big smile

W1rlW1nd
WirlWind
#13 - 2012-01-24 04:24:48 UTC  |  Edited by: W1rlW1nd
Squidgey wrote:

Well mine runs and rides smooth as silk, and I find incredibly controllable.

And yes, we were all very very over the speed limit, and I am never going to do that again ha:)

And yes ZX's are fantastic. And if you re-read, I wasn't trying to shove it down your throat, I was celebrating the fun of riding, and of course there is some sort of historical rivalry between GXR and ZX in motorcycle magazines, but I didn't mean to offend.

I think all motorcycling is great and support the sport. Doesn't matter what you ride.
Marz Ghola
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-01-24 05:04:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Marz Ghola
I rode my harley for years, but then tried my buds sport bike one day. making twice my horsepower at less than half the weight of my harley, it was a dream to scoot around town.

I have been riding sport bikes now for years and I find I have been in situations where I would have been hosed on a harley simply for the fact that my hog was a terribly clumsy bike around the city. My cbr600rr has a very steep head angle and really short wheel base. That, plus how light it is, I can make very quick movement to avoid situations that I simply was unable to on my hog.

Also, I never really bought into the "look at how much of a wanne-be bad boy I pretend to be" on a harley look. I never wore chaps, had leather frillies dangling on my leather jacket eitherP

By design, I have always striven to dislike and avoid cliques. I never liked hanging out with the harley crowd simply because they are mostly of the mid-life crisis type with nothing much to discuss tbh. Maybe when I reach that age, I will buy a set of chaps and join them at the blue oyster bar.P

p.s. I will say, I used to easily do 1000mi rides on my harley without too much discomfort, but now doing 500 miles on my sport bike feels like I have been sawed on half and f$#ked in the ear by everyone in my zip code afterward.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-01-24 07:27:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Surfin's PlunderBunny
Marz Ghola wrote:
I rode my harley for years, but then tried my buds sport bike one day. making twice my horsepower at less than half the weight of my harley, it was a dream to scoot around town.

I have been riding sport bikes now for years and I find I have been in situations where I would have been hosed on a harley simply for the fact that my hog was a terribly clumsy bike around the city. My cbr600rr has a very steep head angle and really short wheel base. That, plus how light it is, I can make very quick movement to avoid situations that I simply was unable to on my hog.

Also, I never really bought into the "look at how much of a wanne-be bad boy I pretend to be" on a harley look. I never wore chaps, had leather frillies dangling on my leather jacket eitherP

By design, I have always striven to dislike and avoid cliques. I never liked hanging out with the harley crowd simply because they are mostly of the mid-life crisis type with nothing much to discuss tbh. Maybe when I reach that age, I will buy a set of chaps and join them at the blue oyster bar.P

p.s. I will say, I used to easily do 1000mi rides on my harley without too much discomfort, but now doing 500 miles on my sport bike feels like I have been sawed on half and f$#ked in the ear by everyone in my zip code afterward.

Just don't ride like a jackass and we're all bikers. Example... I was cruising along in the right lane (slow lane) and this ******* with this little chick on the back of a ninja 600 tore past me in my lane, about 2 feet from me. No other traffic in the left lane...

don't pull that crap and we're all cool, riding is awesome.

And I don't have a midlife crisis... still in my 20s Blink

That's in 2 years when I buy a Ferrari (actually I'll take a regular $90,000 Mercedes... like my Harley I want comfort over performance) then I'll be in my midlife crisis and it will be awesome.

Actually a touring bike is what I'll get. Probably an Electra Glide... those guys look like they don't give a ****. Probably because they're in a recliner

Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-01-24 14:44:14 UTC
W1rlW1nd wrote:
Squidgey wrote:

Well mine runs and rides smooth as silk, and I find incredibly controllable.

And yes, we were all very very over the speed limit, and I am never going to do that again ha:)

And yes ZX's are fantastic. And if you re-read, I wasn't trying to shove it down your throat, I was celebrating the fun of riding, and of course there is some sort of historical rivalry between GXR and ZX in motorcycle magazines, but I didn't mean to offend.

I think all motorcycling is great and support the sport. Doesn't matter what you ride.

Oh I wasn't saying you specifically were shoving it at me.

Just that around here, and many other places, all these wannabe thugs have them and I have yet to see one that doesn't vibrate like its falling apart.
Christopher AET
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-01-25 01:36:40 UTC
2008 GSXR-750

Yoshi r-55 zorst
Tail tidy
Pazzo levers.

Personally i don't get the love of harleys. If that kinda riding style seems pretty close to tthis in terms of excitement.

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-01-25 04:00:21 UTC
Christopher AET wrote:
2008 GSXR-750

Yoshi r-55 zorst
Tail tidy
Pazzo levers.

Personally i don't get the love of harleys. If that kinda riding style seems pretty close to tthis in terms of excitement.

Same reason someone buys this instead of this

Katabrok First
Apukaray Security
#19 - 2012-01-25 14:56:15 UTC
I have a 94/95 Kawasaki ninja ZX11. The longest trip I've made was 480 km, ~295 miles, from my house in São Paulo no my dad's, in Rio de Janeiro. It's a great bike, but the previous owner didn't took great care of her, so now I'm footing the repair bill for some **** that he let me as a "gift". Had a broken clutch while riding 2 weeks ago, broken as in totally destroyed clutch. She is still at the mechanic, I hope I get her back next week...
Squidgey
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-01-25 15:54:33 UTC
Christopher AET wrote:
2008 GSXR-750

Yoshi r-55 zorst
Tail tidy
Pazzo levers.

Same reason someone buys this instead of this

Except you cant compare a high tech, luxury machine to a Harley. Because there is no such thing as a high-tech, ultra luxury HD.

The closest thing is a v-rod and those are still living in the early 90s.

So that leaves me to believe that the only reason people buy them is because they are expensive and makes them feel superior.
123Next pageLast page