These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 PagesPrevious page12

Is End Game a myth?

Author
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2017-05-17 04:50:57 UTC
I agree with a few folks above. You set goals and achieving them each has the potential to be end game OR you set a new goal.

All in all> the end game is burnout. If you still have something to work for, towards, or people to work with for some common cause then you have not reached then end. If it is all 'been there done that and the other stuff looks stupid' then you are at end game or waiting for a new game to arive from the sands and present itself to you.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

#22 - 2017-05-17 07:09:08 UTC

You have to set your own goals in EVE. There is no "current final end boss" to beat. One man's endgame is an other man's intermediate milestone.
CODE.
#23 - 2017-05-17 08:06:42 UTC
EVE is the endgame to all the other games which are just sad grinds and try (but fail) to prepare you for this ultimate experience.

Sometimes when I look at other MMOs I just have to shake my head. Somehow people are so used to those ****** concepts they don't even question them anymore.

The so called end-game or PvP experiences in those other titles are somehow completely separated from the actual game you start out with. Like it is some kind of attached minigame which has absolutely nothing to do with the sad grind you hat to endure to reach it. Also this PvP experiences are often just silly games like capture the flag or some arena team fight. Not sure why someone would grind weeks - months just to play a really cheap copy of capture the flag with some serious balancing issues which will obviously never even get addressed, because it is just a minigame anyway.

And the really REALLY sad part is when those crippled souls then come here and demand that EVE conforms to their notions of how an MMO should workand don't understand how completely ridiculous they sound with their distorted view of what constitutes a fun game.

In EVE there is no skill grinding, you set your goals and you play the real deal from day one.
#24 - 2017-05-17 08:30:26 UTC
Sorry to bring out the girly poetry boys, but T. S. Eliot sums up the Eve end game quite well in the last part of:

The Hollow Men

Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Kurtz uses this poem to explain the Vietnam War in Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" - the adaptation of Conrads "Heart of Darkness".
  • Fk Bob Praise Kek! -

They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Alliances will rise and fall, but one constant in Eve is the smouldering dumpster that is C & P.

(Bob's a cuck)

#25 - 2017-05-17 11:50:59 UTC
Every time i get close to the end game i kick over my sand castle and start rebuilding it again. Cool

Noeg.

Signatures wer cooler when we couldn't remove them completely.

Mollie Mormon
#26 - 2017-05-17 12:40:50 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Here's how I see it.

Sir, you left out conquering the forums! Shocked

*noeg

Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2017-05-17 12:50:11 UTC
no end game

There is a hard ceiling to any given bit of content, but you can change content. Technically that means that if you trained everything to V you hit 'end game', but that's not realistic for most people. So while I can fly almost every sub-cap in the game, I haven't even begun capitals. While I can run 2 industry jobs at a time, I could eventually run an industrial empire. Or build a sov alliance. Or.......
#28 - 2017-05-17 14:46:31 UTC
End game for myself is getting in the right mood to look over and modify articles on Uniwiki or maybe write guides. I've only just started but considering how complicated and difficult it is to get started in this game I am starting to want to help people more and more without burning myself out of course.

(maybe I still do?) I used to want to join an alliance and with my own corporation, take sovereign nullsec - maybe imitate being like a faction .. own an entire constellation somewhere. The closest I got to that was just taking it upon myself as a member of a renter alliance in Insmother but my alliance overlords didn't trust me enough to let me take it in the name of my former corporation Blue Aurochs and they made sure to put the structures down with the holding alliance. Which was too bad I think most of Eve has this mindset and for good reason obviously. Wish there was a good decentralized alliance somewhere and I had the time and the FC abilities .. and I also realized the mega-amount of comms and mandatory everything I can't even force on myself let alone others that it would take to do this so this dream is dead.

@lunettelulu7

#29 - 2017-05-17 14:56:54 UTC
Max Deveron wrote:
I see in various forum threads,
there is no end game, or this or that is end game.

So I am curious, simply that and so I am asking the community to pass knowledge of this post to others they know.

Question is: What do you consider end game?

Well. Its a Sandbox, so I have my own endgame. I know a guy who trades and does PVE in Highsec. Some like Lowsec, some like Nullsec. Creepy Wormholeguys* like wormholes.
Endgame is what you wanna do.

*CCP said that on the fanfest.

Praise the Omnissiah!

#30 - 2017-05-17 18:37:08 UTC
I am one of those "race to end-game" people.

End game is when I reach the skill threshold that lets me participate in the group content I'm interested in with folks I choose to play with instead of the ones LFG picks for me. I have my own pace when burning through levelling content and I get frustrated if somebody has a noticeably different speed.

Small group activities (dungeons) are ok-ish but I prefer larger (10-20+) group activities that aren't utterly braindead like most world boss fights. I've seen a number of scaling systems over the years. They work to an extent but typically they just modify how much damage and healing you can pump out and how many hit points you have. Scale down a max level and they'll probably have skills and even set bonuses that trivialize the content. Scale up a low level and they may be missing some critical skills (cc break, interrupt, etc.).

But what about the journey? I play MMO's to be with people. If I wanted a story I'd read a book, watch a movie or play a single player game.

EVE doesn't have one end-game, it has several. The ability to specialize lets me get there as fast or as slow as I want. Heck, my first week I joined a fairly successful low-sec roam (lost two Atrons Lol)

All I need to figure out is how to PLEX 10+ accounts so I can do all the things Blink
#31 - 2017-05-17 19:54:25 UTC
End Game is when you have completed all of your primary goals/achievements to personal satisfaction.

Drones. Drones are a means to an end. An end to the ruthless Caldari 'progress' machines. An end to the barbaric 'redemption' proposed by the Amarr. What they see as chaos shall be my perfect order, merely beyond their comprehension.

League 0f Grumpy 0ld Farts
#32 - 2017-05-17 20:44:49 UTC
*noeg - there will always be something interesting to do , someone to meet, someone to train, someone to blow up. there is always a path to take and sometimes you can revisit old trails... see you in space
Hooligans.
#33 - 2017-05-17 21:36:39 UTC
So long as there are new players to interact with, there is no end game.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

#34 - 2017-05-18 01:10:59 UTC
I'd say Goons-Imperium won one kind of end game, and a really big one. CCP set nullsec up as a kind of Genghis Khan-Shaka Zulu-Oda Nobunaga territorial conquest danger zone zone. When the sandbox was fairly young, nullsec was the ultimate most dangerous place. Any ambitious young empire-builder, gunslinger, dirty trickster, or as yet unfocused arsehat aimed to go there. After becoming not completely ignorant at how this game works. And having a few isk and being able to afford to lose a BS.

But of course, along the way, the Law of the Blob naturally made itself apparent to smart Eve players. The bigger the blob, the greater the stomping power. Genghis himself understood that, Eve guys picked up on it too. So-- along the way, little blobs amoebaed into coalitions. Power blocs. (Here in GD, most often alternately spelled as blocks). Huge blobs came in, battled for primacy, enjoyed runs of glory and possible dominance. Nails were bitten. But in the end, smart Eve players saw the inevitable coming, the inevitable outcome of the null sandbox: the Blue Donut. That is, that some blob would reach such a size, and reach a critical mass of winning fights momentum, that it would absorb so many smaller blobs (defeated ones, or just wanting to have some wins ones) that it reached a kind of critical mass. The other blobs, separately or combined, could never have enough momentum to defeat it.

Goons-Imperium achieved pretty much that Blue Donut state. A kind of Pax Goonana in null space. They had to have set up a pretty amazing organizational apparatus to administer all of that, and get information to every (potential renegade) cat organization in the coalition, and also down toward the sub-sub-sub-individual player cats. As MMOs go, that has be off the scale in terms of crazy sophisticated achievement.

So I'd say Goons won a big chunk of the Eve end game-- for a while at least. Ironically, it was Goths, Visigoths, and Vandals from outside the borders (i.e. outside the game meta gambling sites) that brought them down.

(BTW, grr gewns)
Caldari State
#35 - 2017-05-18 12:00:03 UTC
Endgame is just another word for having max gear in other mmos imo.
Ivy League
#36 - 2017-05-18 12:18:48 UTC
Aen Clarke wrote:

Not exactly, end game is generally the point at which you can start running the content to get the max lvl gear. Raids, ranked pvp etc.

and I see a lot of the other comments that seem to be equating "end game" with "beating the game" or winning eve.
personally I see the end game of eve as having the tools, knowledge, and capability to achieve goals, not the achievement of them itself, that is what you use to keep playing, but the ability to go after them.

I would say it is the point where Isk no longer matters as much except as a means to an end, so you make enough (either IG or out) to keep as many accounts as you want to run active month to month, and enough to easily afford any ships that you want to put on the line in pursuit of whatever it is you have fun doing.

and since different people have different ideas of fun, that point will come at different times. if small gang frigate roams are your thing, well thats gonna be much more attainable than say, whelping a titan just because it didn't have enough holes in it for your liking.
ChaosTheory.
#37 - 2017-05-18 12:40:27 UTC
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
Aen Clarke wrote:

Not exactly, end game is generally the point at which you can start running the content to get the max lvl gear. Raids, ranked pvp etc.

and I see a lot of the other comments that seem to be equating "end game" with "beating the game" or winning eve.
personally I see the end game of eve as having the tools, knowledge, and capability to achieve goals, not the achievement of them itself, that is what you use to keep playing, but the ability to go after them.

I would say it is the point where Isk no longer matters as much except as a means to an end, so you make enough (either IG or out) to keep as many accounts as you want to run active month to month, and enough to easily afford any ships that you want to put on the line in pursuit of whatever it is you have fun doing.

and since different people have different ideas of fun, that point will come at different times. if small gang frigate roams are your thing, well thats gonna be much more attainable than say, whelping a titan just because it didn't have enough holes in it for your liking.

This right here is really the end game of this thread Big smile Everyone one else can shut up because none of us can say it better than Bjorn just did.

+1
The-Culture
#38 - 2017-05-18 13:01:36 UTC
be the apex thingy.
revel in that.
light fires or put them out.
be contested.
when the world rises against you in revolt you know you're doing something right.
effect a change.

may seem vague, but it's all self-defined, so not really so much.
go forth and do stuff that you enjoy.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

White Blood Cell1
#39 - 2017-05-18 16:07:47 UTC
I just like playing with my new corp.

I hope the fun never ends.
#40 - 2017-05-19 03:20:36 UTC
The end game is when the coalitions align ad everyone is blue. THe servers reset.
2 PagesPrevious page12