These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Is there a use for faction/NPC corp standings anymore?

Author
Kakos Belas
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-05-14 07:10:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Kakos Belas
Hi all.

Back in the day faction/npc standings actually had a purpose:

- Needed standings to deploy a POS
- Needed standings to create a clone
- Needed standings to run higher level PVE missions
- Used standings to reduce sales tax

etc.

The only purposes that appear to still be in existance are the latter two and even so the effect of perfect faction and NPC corp standings on sales tax on a particular station is 0.5% max, which seems a disproportionately low return for the hours invested.

I know CCP has ignored PVE for ages but is there something I'm overlooking here? Are there any uses for standings in the current game mechanics I'm not aware of?

Thanks all.

PS. I'm intentionally not including positive standings to not be KOS in empire space.
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#2 - 2017-05-14 07:45:29 UTC
If you're selling billions per week, that last 0.5% matters! Personally, I would like standings to matter more - highsec is too homogeneous. Choice of race matters to Alphas, there should be some advantage for supporting one faction over the others for Omegas.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#3 - 2017-05-14 08:21:43 UTC
Refining.
Kakos Belas
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2017-05-14 08:35:39 UTC
Do Little wrote:
Personally, I would like standings to matter more - highsec is too homogeneous. Choice of race matters to Alphas, there should be some advantage for supporting one faction over the others for Omegas.


Likewise!
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#5 - 2017-05-14 15:33:42 UTC
sales tax is the main one that matters, CCP jacked taxes up not too long ago.

Faction standings are nice as they give you a huge buffer to decline missions and cherry pick the good ones. aka burners

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#6 - 2017-05-14 17:48:59 UTC
Locator agents?

Hey, I think we found some game element which is not monatized yet. CCP, where are the 'standing extractors'?
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#7 - 2017-05-14 18:07:47 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Locator agents?

Hey, I think we found some game element which is not monatized yet. CCP, where are the 'standing extractors'?
If they added that, it would remove the last remaining reason for running COSMOS missions. Or collecting tags.

But sadly, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

Mr Epeen Cool
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2017-05-14 19:25:56 UTC
Standings also come into play with the new NPC Mining Fleets that CCP recently added to the game.


DMC
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#9 - 2017-05-14 19:31:04 UTC
For me it's "YOU ARE AN ENEMY of said faction LEAVE NOW OR WE DESTROY YOUR SHIP." :)


Oh High Sec you Roll

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#10 - 2017-05-14 19:51:24 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Locator agents?

Hey, I think we found some game element which is not monatized yet. CCP, where are the 'standing extractors'?
If they added that, it would remove the last remaining reason for running COSMOS missions. Or collecting tags.

But sadly, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

Mr Epeen Cool

I mean a few cosmos reward some very nice loot, but most of it is junk, even with module tiericide.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Kim Joo Won
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2017-05-14 21:02:34 UTC
Let me just point out that this entire system should be removed from the game and never should have been implemented!

there! I said it!

the "Standings" system is a convoluted system that is unnecessary. It doesn't make sense LORE wise, and it doesn't make sense GAMEPLAY wise.

Allow me to demonstrate.

I can shoot the RED guys in high sec? Or, the Red guys that are flashing??? Or, is it the RED guys that are flashing and have skulls??? Can I shoot the Yellow guys? or the Orange guys? Do they have to be flashing??? or do they have to have skulls and flashing??? which one is his faction standing??? why do I have to know his faction standing??? Just tell me which one I can shoot!
Tuttomenui II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2017-05-14 21:06:10 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Locator agents?

Hey, I think we found some game element which is not monatized yet. CCP, where are the 'standing extractors'?


You can sell standings, split mission rewards with someone, charge them a fee. They can pay you to help them skip lvl 1, 2, and 3 missions. Then they can grind the standings they need or continue to pay you for standings.
ACESsiggy
Salvador Sarpat1
#13 - 2017-05-14 21:45:36 UTC
No, other than to farm LP.

Unless of course you are trying to run Cosmos missions to obtain Storyline BPC's (which are vague at best in the game for PVE players and the mods are nowhere near as good as faction mods)

“The open-minded see the truth in different things: the narrow-minded see only the differences.”

Alasdan Helminthauge
HC - Collective Hogs
#14 - 2017-05-15 02:11:33 UTC
Kim Joo Won wrote:

I can shoot the RED guys in high sec? Or, the Red guys that are flashing??? Or, is it the RED guys that are flashing and have skulls??? Can I shoot the Yellow guys? or the Orange guys? Do they have to be flashing??? or do they have to have skulls and flashing??? which one is his faction standing??? why do I have to know his faction standing??? Just tell me which one I can shoot!


I dont think faction standung affects whether you can shoot somebody in hi-sec.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#15 - 2017-05-15 02:14:52 UTC
flashy red means -5 sec or worse, and/or they are in the act of doing a criminal act where they will get concorded in the next few seconds.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Ashiri Hareka
Paper Cats
#16 - 2017-05-15 02:45:41 UTC
Kim Joo Won wrote:
Let me just point out that this entire system should be removed from the game and never should have been implemented!

there! I said it!

the "Standings" system is a convoluted system that is unnecessary. It doesn't make sense LORE wise, and it doesn't make sense GAMEPLAY wise.

Allow me to demonstrate.

I can shoot the RED guys in high sec? Or, the Red guys that are flashing??? Or, is it the RED guys that are flashing and have skulls??? Can I shoot the Yellow guys? or the Orange guys? Do they have to be flashing??? or do they have to have skulls and flashing??? which one is his faction standing??? why do I have to know his faction standing??? Just tell me which one I can shoot!


If in doubt as to whom you can shoot, target them and press F1. Of course it will depend on your safety settings as to what happens next.

From a lore perspective, standings are how much we have ... ingratiated ourselves with the appropriate entity.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#17 - 2017-05-15 03:19:19 UTC
Better LP rewards would be the logical course for Empire but they might still be trying to herd us all in to the nul meat grinder.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#18 - 2017-05-15 05:37:54 UTC
Tuttomenui II wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Locator agents?

Hey, I think we found some game element which is not monatized yet. CCP, where are the 'standing extractors'?


You can sell standings, split mission rewards with someone, charge them a fee. They can pay you to help them skip lvl 1, 2, and 3 missions. Then they can grind the standings they need or continue to pay you for standings.

But where is the share for CCP? Think of the millions of people who will play EVE if CCP sells faction standings and can hire more developers to make EVE better!

/sarcasm
Kim Joo Won
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2017-05-15 14:47:33 UTC
Alasdan Helminthauge wrote:
Kim Joo Won wrote:

I can shoot the RED guys in high sec? Or, the Red guys that are flashing??? Or, is it the RED guys that are flashing and have skulls??? Can I shoot the Yellow guys? or the Orange guys? Do they have to be flashing??? or do they have to have skulls and flashing??? which one is his faction standing??? why do I have to know his faction standing??? Just tell me which one I can shoot!


I dont think faction standung affects whether you can shoot somebody in hi-sec.

But ... that was my point.
Thanks to the "Standings" system, as implemented, we get a ton of information that we have absolutely no use for and it only serves to confuse players. What do I need to know any players Standings for? security or faction???
Kakos Belas
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2017-05-15 14:53:47 UTC
Kim Joo Won wrote:
Alasdan Helminthauge wrote:
Kim Joo Won wrote:

I can shoot the RED guys in high sec? Or, the Red guys that are flashing??? Or, is it the RED guys that are flashing and have skulls??? Can I shoot the Yellow guys? or the Orange guys? Do they have to be flashing??? or do they have to have skulls and flashing??? which one is his faction standing??? why do I have to know his faction standing??? Just tell me which one I can shoot!


I dont think faction standung affects whether you can shoot somebody in hi-sec.

But ... that was my point.
Thanks to the "Standings" system, as implemented, we get a ton of information that we have absolutely no use for and it only serves to confuse players. What do I need to know any players Standings for? security or faction???


You don't:

You don't know a player's faction/npc standings.

What you're thinking about is Security Status, which is a different KPI altogether.
12Next page