These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Newbie with a fleet

Author
Dusklit Thistle
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2017-05-06 17:00:54 UTC
So, I completed the Caldari career agent missions and I've been stuck with a conondrum. I have 45,000 cubic meters of packaged ships and no easy way to transport them anywhere.

I could put them up for sale in the market, but I'm not sure anybody here is rookie space is interested in purchasing ships.

What should I do? Reprocess them for minerals? I'm not sure how the contract system works... does it allow me to sell to somebody remotely, and they come pick it all up at once? Is there a good transportation company that can move my fleet at a reasonable price?

Advice on any direction to go would be appreciated.

Shady gentleman with a shady plan

Soloman Jackson
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2017-05-06 17:09:42 UTC
Just leave them there. Come back and get them as you lose others.

“The cold stars spun to the ancient rhythm, the august march of an everlasting symphony. They are old, the stars, and their memory is long.” -Rick Yancey

Dusklit Thistle
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2017-05-06 18:29:06 UTC
Okay, I'll leave them there for now... but I am planning on moving soon, and I don't want to leave my 'stuffz' just lying around!

Sara Starbuck
Adamantine Creations
#4 - 2017-05-06 23:22:33 UTC
You better get used to "stuff lying around" or you will have mental breakdown later on Big smile
Francis Raven
GeoCorp.
The Initiative.
#5 - 2017-05-06 23:55:47 UTC
Keep one or two, move, and repackage/sell the rest. Sell it on a SELL order as opposed to selling instantaneously so that you make the best bang for you buck.

ExDominion | Nullsec Corporation | Website | Forums | Established Nov. 2015 |

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#6 - 2017-05-07 01:55:07 UTC
courier contract it. by freight standards 45k m3 aint too much. Also don't forget to set collateral, I typically go 150-200% to motivate them to make sure it gets delivered. and if it doesn't you get a payday.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#7 - 2017-05-07 02:31:23 UTC
I doubt the items you get from career agents are worth the hassle. Not to mention contracting. Packaged t1 hauler, 5 ventures and 2 atrons is quite a big volume but total worth is very low.

Also depends where you are moving. Is it couple jumps away trough high sec? Move 1 by 1 or make 2 trips with a hauler (if you need all those items... doubt it). If it's 20+ jumps or somewhere in low/null sec, don't bother.
Kumakatok
House Melenkurion
#8 - 2017-05-07 09:55:38 UTC
I'm interested in PvP so the advice I was given was to use them to get used to being blown up. I've insured them and tried to fit them with some of the free fittings and a few that I have selected based on looking at zkillboard, and am flying them to lowsec. Even the Ventures might yield a bit of ore before someone kills me! (And they were all free anyway)

Oh Lord, Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not Thou forget me.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2017-05-08 10:11:50 UTC
There is absolutely no reason that you need to bring "all of your stuff" with you everywhere that you go. In this game you will likely move around quite a bit. Trying to bring all of your stuff with you will make this game miserable. Also this game does not really have limits on how much stuff that you can have. With what you have now it may seem doable to you but in a few months it won't and years down the road you'll likely have billions and billions of isk worth of stuff scattered all over the universe.

I personally still have several old mission hubs fully set up and stocked with ships and ammo etc... that I could pull up to in my pod, if need be, and pick up where I left off. A few years ago I came across a station that I had left a bunch of stuff when we had to do an emergency evac from null sec and found a wormhole to high sec, so I used that wormhole to evacuate a bunch of stuff and it sat there in that station for all of those years.

Coming up with a way to manage all of your stuff is a part of this game. Some people do just sell everything that they aren't using currently and keep the bare minimum. Others just pack rat stuff away and when they need isk run around and figure out what to sell. Still others keep well managed stock piles of stuff in strategic places.

How you do it is up to you but for now I would recommend that you not worry about bringing your stuff with you. Just take what you need and buy the rest when you get there. Once you learn a bit more about the market and the mechanics of the game you can come up with a plan.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Dusklit Thistle
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2017-05-08 13:49:58 UTC
Thans, ergher. I know that as a whole I'm being petty, but at -this- point of the game I'm wanting to lever what few resources to their maximum utility.

Once I'm well-footed enough to buy ships and fits by the dozen and expend them like ammunition, then I won't feel so bad about leaving stuff lying around.

One thing I didn't want to do, though, was leave stuff in a newbie station of all things. Rite-of-passage mentality, I suppose.

Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#11 - 2017-05-08 23:08:49 UTC
If you want to move them from one location to another en masse, you could get a hauler, and move them yourself from point to point. Or, if there's only a few ships, just fly one at a time over to the new system, and shuttle your way back (or pod yourself back, if you're in a cheap clone).

Either that, or leave them in the location, and as you need the ships, go and grab them one at a time. Over time, slowly draw down your presence in the original location, and boost it in the new.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2017-05-09 09:54:28 UTC
Dusklit Thistle wrote:
Thans, ergher. I know that as a whole I'm being petty, but at -this- point of the game I'm wanting to lever what few resources to their maximum utility.

Once I'm well-footed enough to buy ships and fits by the dozen and expend them like ammunition, then I won't feel so bad about leaving stuff lying around.

One thing I didn't want to do, though, was leave stuff in a newbie station of all things. Rite-of-passage mentality, I suppose.

I was not trying to call you petty. I was just trying to prepare you for the insanely vast amount of stuff you will eventually be managing in this game.

I came to this game from WoW where we had very strict limits on how much stuff we could have. Every storage slot was limited as to how many items I could hold. In that game I had alts known as bank alts that were created just to store stuff.

So when I came to Eve, I initially was micro-managing my stuff. I'd go out and run a few missions and then come back and want to sort through my stuff and figure out what was worth keeping and what was worth selling. WoW had me hyper focused on "gear" and the sorting and managing of "stuff".

In Eve you will have mind-bogglingly vast quantities of stuff and eventually you'll develop methods of rapidly sorting or some other method of dealing with it. For now I just wanted to prepare you for it.

The way that I eventually wound up looking at Eve was that I took each task on it's own and evaluated it for how much time that I spent doing it and how much isk that it would net me per time frame. So if I am spending hours managing my stuff for less isk than I could make if I was doing something else then that task was not worth it isk wise.

I would use that information to help make decisions but the information alone would not be the decision maker. For example, long ago I figured out that looting and salvaging was not worth for me isk wise I could make more isk by just running more missions or more anoms or whatever I was doing. However I am a loot whore and I enjoyed looting and salvaging my deadspace pockets. I also enjoyed melting loot into minerals and building stuff with it. So I still loot to this day because I enjoy it.

So you will have to come up with your own playstyle. You will have to figure out which parts of the game you enjoy and which you don't and make your isk doing what you like while leaving to others what you don't.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Othran
Route One
#13 - 2017-05-09 15:44:20 UTC
Just "Frog" it to wherever you want Big smile

http://red-frog.org/jumps.php

They cover highsec, lowsec, nullsec and even Thera. Simplest way of not ending up slowboating loads of crap just to get ganked at one of the empire chokepoints the OP probably doesn't know about.

Disclaimer : one (or more, was never entirely sure) of the founders of Red Frog was in the same corp as me a while back. Used them a couple of times but I had a JF alt so usually did it myself anyway.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#14 - 2017-05-13 08:39:07 UTC
You are not the only person to wind up with unwanted excess ships in rookie systems.

I place regionwide buy orders on Catalysts (Gallente destroyers that are popular with gankers) and many of them get filled in rookie systems. When I have a hundred or two, I get a useful idiot (courier contractor) to move them for me, or sell them locally.

You can sell them where they are and just accept a 35-45% haircut on fair market value, or you can expend the effort to move them and get 100%.

Over time you will wind up with assets everywhere. I presently have assets in 66 different NPC stations, plus assets in 2 player-owned citadels that are not mine, plus assets in my engineering complex and also in my player owned starbase.

My alt characters have less than this character but probably combined can add assets in another 20 stations.

That said my serious assets are all split between 6 locations - about 150 billion in assets in the Jita trade hub, and smaller amounts in the Dodixie trade hub, my POS, a station in that POS's system, my Engineering Complex, and finally a station in that EC's system.

It's good to keep fitted ships in strategic locations, once you can afford to. I have a logistics cruiser (think 'healing ship') in a place that me and friends often stage fleets out of. It is fitted, rigged, and good to go. As a newbie a logisitcs cruiser might not be something you can afford to lose, but a tech 1 support cruiser or tech 1 support frigate are always welcome and can be acquired fully fitted for 14m/2m respectively.

In a short period of time you will be able to treat that as a consumable.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Kathern Aurilen
#15 - 2017-06-06 12:42:20 UTC
Dusklit Thistle wrote:

I started playing Eve in 2012 but after 9 months my puter died and didn't have anything.

When I came back when the alphas started up. I was saying "WTF?!!??" Trying to figure out how and why I had my PI setup like that, and why I had gear(thank goodness not ships) across 10 system 15 jumps out in low sec.

Took me a week to gather all my stuff together.

No cuts, no butts, no coconuts!

Forum alt, unskilled in the ways of pewpew!