These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Gate-camping NPC's - Really CCP?

Author
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2017-05-03 05:26:24 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:


Last I checked drifters don't shoot you unless you shoot at them or have shot at them before since they have standings and stuff.

Yeah but the NPE has you shooting Drifters which are easy targets to destroy and new players might think they're the same.


DMC
Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#22 - 2017-05-03 06:04:55 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Yang Aurilen wrote:


Last I checked drifters don't shoot you unless you shoot at them or have shot at them before since they have standings and stuff.

Yeah but the NPE has you shooting Drifters which are easy targets to destroy and new players might think they're the same.


DMC


To be fair you DO NOT SHOOT the drifter battleships themselves if you follow the NPE instructions directly. In fact you're told to GTFO every time they show up until the last part with the FAX and even then you're basically told to "HEY SHOOT THE CIRCADIAN SLEEPERS I EVEN HIGHLIGHTED THEM FOR YOU!"

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2017-05-03 06:51:18 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Yang Aurilen wrote:


Last I checked drifters don't shoot you unless you shoot at them or have shot at them before since they have standings and stuff.

Yeah but the NPE has you shooting Drifters which are easy targets to destroy and new players might think they're the same.


DMC


To be fair you DO NOT SHOOT the drifter battleships themselves if you follow the NPE instructions directly. In fact you're told to GTFO every time they show up until the last part with the FAX and even then you're basically told to "HEY SHOOT THE CIRCADIAN SLEEPERS I EVEN HIGHLIGHTED THEM FOR YOU!"

OK, my mistake, Drifters, Sleepers, whatever.

The point is if a new player tries to kill the Circardian Seekers as he was shown in NPE Tutorial his ship will turn into fireworks.


DMC
Keno Skir
#24 - 2017-05-03 10:41:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Keno Skir
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:
As i've mentioned : EvE is supposed to be Hard, EvE is supposed to be Savage. The game is supposed to kick your favorite sandcastle all over your ice cream, and we like it that way.

EvE isn't for everyone so i'll make this a humble request instead of the standard HTFU reply. Please consider that EvE is such a niche game that it is never going to be loved by everyone or even most people. Those of us who do like it, have no desire to see it softened into a hand holding hello kitty experience, especially to satisfy people who the game isn't aimed at. Secondly please accept that because you have provided no reasoning other than "i don't want to", your argument for changing a core part of the game has literally 0 merit, and it is your constant re-iteration of this poor reasoning that has brought on the "insulting tone".

This type of dogmatic hyperbole is constantly being spewed in these forums by a select few who only preach it when it benefits themselves.

I'm sorry but I keep seeing people talk about 'Actions verses Consequences' and 'Risk verses Reward' but only when it benefits themselves. For example, if Eve is supposed to be hard, savage and tough, then why do Suicide Gankers get Security Tags to constantly repair their Security status ?

The OP has a point and I think CCP definitely needs to look into it as well as the Drifter NPC's that hang out next to the level 1 SOE Epic Arc station in Arnon system. That's just plain stupid game mechanics, having a newbie Epic Arc station camped by overpowered NPC's.


DMC


Again with the mis-use of the word Hyperbole, i didn't exagerate and i mean what i said literally. Secondly i preach this message all the time, not just when it benefits me.

It's always interesting when people throw the ganker argument in, claiming there's no risk and infinite reward. If ganking was the easiest income everyone would do it instead of missions or whatever else they spend their time min / maxing. But they don't, because ganking is actually a harder profession than you make it out to be.

Or maybe everyone's just too nice..

I also fail to see where any of this "benefits" me, since i don't gank anyone or run any incursions. I'm quite literally defending the possibility of insta-death in this game because i think it's an important feature, and makes the game world a deeper experience.
KenFlorian
Knight Odds
Trigger Happy.
#25 - 2017-05-03 11:56:49 UTC
Vex Munda wrote:


I rest my case :p


Thank you for having mercy on this thread.
Alincer Trossereides
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2017-05-06 00:39:40 UTC
I like EVE precisely because it's "harsh". I like that you loose all your stuff if you get blown up in space. Build Your Dreams, Ruin Theirs. I also died to those NPCs, but it was on me, as I stupidly attacked them not knowing what they were. I laughed at myself and the loss of my nicely fitted Tristan.

Having said that, the OP has a point. I play EVE to go against humans. The way I would "improve" EVE is to get rid of as much PvE as possible. The PvE grind is no different from what happens in all the other MMOs. Unfortunately it's the only way to make ISK (other than FW which I'm getting ready to try). PvE is good at the very beginning, to familiarize the new player with the game mechanics. After that it's boring as hell for me. I hope CCP doesn't keep adding more to attract more WOW type players. Instead, I wish they would make it more profitable to blow up others and to gain more valuable things from warfare aside from valuable moons and whatnot.

TL;DR Going against NPCs has zero entertaining value. I'm here for the humans.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#27 - 2017-05-06 00:44:51 UTC
Vex Munda wrote:
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Vex Munda wrote:
Tipa Riot wrote:
Yeah, annoying if you run into them unprepared ... but luckily there are maps showing you the threat ahead (unlike player gate camps*). So it happened once and will not happen again to you, so no time for big drama.

* I know there are sites even showing that. Blink


Yeh now I only have to check maps on kills last hour, pod losses last hour AND incursions before I undock. I probably forgot to check on something too in that list...

I think it is too harsh too force incursion PvE on players who don't really care about it. It's fine if those npc's disrupt inside of incursion sites, when a player is committed to fight them. But if you re passing through they shouldn't be able to lock a frigate before it warps off. It really doesn't add any value to EVE it detracts value (players can't do what they do want to do).

They should:
* Throw a notification if I enter a system
like the one you get entering enemy space if you re in FW. So I know what is happening and realise npc's are chasing me.
* Remove those npc's from the gates. Or at least not allow the ones at the gate to disrupt. Gatecamps have always been a heated point of discussion. Gate miners love them and many other players don't. CCP isn't doing a large part of the playerbase any favours by creating NPC gatecamps. In fact I personally think it's a horrible game design choice. They might as well randomly explode a ship you are flying. (That was a hyperbole by the way).

The only problem here is, that they don't fly in HS.

I don't see the problem here. Are you saying I should stay in high sec. That's no fun most of the time. To me the threats in EVE should be generated by people, not npc gatecamps you can't avoid or know about until they never shot you.

Not at all. I think they should camp HS gates just as they do it in lowsec.

Remove standings and insurance.

Previous page12