These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I want more sand, spades and buckets in the box! you?

Author
Matthew Barsrallah
Nerbles
#1 - 2012-01-23 08:37:03 UTC
Sandboxes suck when your toys are worn out

develop less toys and more tools for the player sandbox!

CCP you guys are forgetting your roots!

Remember when you got drunk and said "it would kickass if there was online sandbox sci-fi game" and then you... well... did it?

you keep putting new toys in the sandbox..

when really... buckets and spades would be better!

<3 you guys CCP
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#2 - 2012-01-23 08:49:35 UTC
I tried to understand what you wrote....and failed.
What ?

Matthew Barsrallah
Nerbles
#3 - 2012-01-23 09:04:28 UTC
i appreciate your honesty

im being analogous to eve' supposed sandbox development.

giving players more spades and buckets (tools) in eve, adheres to CCP original design. Ie players are free to create their own playstyle.

CCP is acting like any other mmo company now. creating " toys" in the form of closed system features.

in short:

no sleep, found old orange eve retail box from 2003. and became saddened on how non-sandboxy eve develop has come over the years

sandbox game design vs themepark game design

if you wish, just let my thread die Blink old player rambles from finding eve retail box.. Roll
McRoll
Extraction and Exploration Ltd.
#4 - 2012-01-23 09:10:50 UTC  |  Edited by: McRoll
Dude, right now they are in the process of fixing long overdue stuff. Many players fought for that, let them continue that work. Personally I'm fine with seeing new stuff in a year or longer if they finish all those construction sites, that is borked ship and tier balance, faction warfare, 0.0 and lowsec, mining, etc etc.
BLACK-STAR
#5 - 2012-01-23 09:25:59 UTC
I hope you feel stupid, OP.

Matthew Barsrallah
Nerbles
#6 - 2012-01-23 09:48:39 UTC
BLACK-STAR wrote:

i allways feel stupid,= one of the most redeeming qualities of ccp is their transparency and indieness as a developer. fixing the 1000 mistakes is awesome, but then what? features to appease the various forum demographics over and over?

more sand!
Teowulff Odinson
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-01-23 10:09:50 UTC
Matthew Barsrallah wrote:
Sandboxes suck when your toys are worn out

develop less toys and more tools for the player sandbox!

when really... buckets and spades would be better!

I agree. We could use a lot of new mechanics. I want cloaked outposts, ways to plunder moon installations and such. I want more outlaw friendly tools.
Miss Whippy
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-01-23 11:42:43 UTC
Agreed with OP. We definitely need more toys, however we need all the broken toys they've given us to be fixed first. In some cases they just need to be made not dull, like PI for instance.

[URL="https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=82348"]UI Iteration isn't enough, we need to start from scratch[/URL]

Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-01-23 14:25:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Dbars Grinding
I got cat poop in my sandbox Cry

I have more space likes than you. 

Valei Khurelem
#10 - 2012-01-23 14:30:39 UTC
Miss Whippy wrote:
Agreed with OP. We definitely need more toys, however we need all the broken toys they've given us to be fixed first. In some cases they just need to be made not dull, like PI for instance.

Pretty much this, not much more to add beyond that this game needs to be turned into a sandbox for everyone and those who grabbed the best places to make ISK first.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Atticus Fynch
#11 - 2012-01-23 14:31:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Atticus Fynch
BLACK-STAR wrote:

I dont think the OP can ever feel as stupid as you look making that worthless comment.

[b]★★★Cargo Pilots Unite!!!★★★ https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=668132&#post668132[/b]

Mr LaForge
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-01-23 14:32:33 UTC
Sandboxes should only be played in if you have hydraulic excavators and loaders. Anything less just isn't fun. And no I'm not making a reference to supercapitals or anything game related.

Stuff Goes here

Liam Mirren
#13 - 2012-01-23 14:36:11 UTC
McRoll wrote:
Dude, right now they are in the process of fixing long overdue stuff. Many players fought for that, let them continue that work. Personally I'm fine with seeing new stuff in a year or longer if they finish all those construction sites, that is borked ship and tier balance, faction warfare, 0.0 and lowsec, mining, etc etc.

This, in a nutshell.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Matrim Barr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-01-23 14:39:26 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:
McRoll wrote:

This, in a nutshell.

I hate nutshells in my sandbox. They get between my toes and make crunchy noises.
Klandi
Consortium of stella Technologies
#15 - 2012-01-23 14:39:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Klandi
And I would like to add that the days when devs got drunk and decided the direction of the game are LONG years past. Now the producer and tech directors get drunk and decide - those are the types you need to address ... and its gotta help the business as well because there are employees to support....

I am aware of my own ignorance and have checked my emotional quotient - thanks for asking

Jafit McJafitson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-01-23 14:44:18 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Pretty much this, not much more to add beyond that this game needs to be turned into a sandbox for everyone and those who grabbed the best places to make ISK first.

Yeah, nothing ever changes in Eve
Ex0101
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2012-01-23 15:46:09 UTC
You would have a lot better time selling yourself if you gave some examples and ideas of what you feel are tools...

Making an argument without offering anything to the table isn't a good way to start :)