These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New/ Additional Polarized/Tech 3 Warp Scrambler

Author
Justin Cody
War Firm
#1 - 2017-04-13 00:53:46 UTC
So with the meta currently favoring "60km or go home" outside of the tech 3 cruiser market I have had some thoughts - perhaps to go along with some of the newer additions like Polarized weapons and Stasis Grapplers.

We need (in my opinion) some form of - alternate - warp scrambler that enables piracy with of course appropriate risks attached.

For a working name I will call it a Polarized Warp Scrambler (could be a Tech 3 Warp Thingy or Drifter Modified Scrambler I don't care)

Accuracy Falloff - 0
Activation Cost - 12 GJ
Activation Time/Duration - 2.5 sec
CPU: 38
Capacity: 0
Heat Damage: 1
Mass: 0
Maximum Velocity Multiplier: 1
Meta Level: 5 (or higher)
Optimal Range: 3 Km
Overload Optimal Range Bonus: 33%
Primary Skill Required: Propulsion Jamming 4
Required Thermodynamics Skill: 3
Secondary Skill Required: Navigation 4
Structure HP: 40
Tech Level: II+
Warp Scramble Strength: 2
ActivationBlockedStrength: 1
Heat dissipation rate modifier: 0.05
RequiredSkill1 level: 4
required Skill 2 level 3

Virus Coherence - 35
Virus Strnegth - 15
Utility element slots - 1

Attributes are affected by data/relic skills but scram range not affected by ship warp scramble or long point strength bonuses - as stasis grappler.

On Activation - Hacking Minigame starts - versus ship CPU strength based on ship cpu and sensor strength maths I have yet to invent for balance reasons. The attacking ship's cpu and sensor strength are used to modify the Virus strength only in addition to hacking skills - this module cannot be used for data/relic sites.

On success - pilots pod is forcibly ejected from the vessel and the pilot receives a 10 second timer where he/she cannot re-board their seized vessel. Based on the remaining virus coherence - damage is applied to the seized ship's modules potentially destroying some. While Activated the Polarized Warp Scrambler's field interference reduces ship shield, armor and structure resistances by half.

On Failure - each failure imparts heat damage to the attacking ship across all modules simultaneously but is mitigated by the thermodynamics skill.

This module cannot be activated in high security space.
This module is not effective against Dreadnoughts in Siege, Force Auxiliary in Triage or Marauders in Bastion - it is however useful against Titans and Super Carriers - but due to attribute spread really only by other capitals and super capitals using the module.

flame on!
Maria Dragoon
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2017-04-13 03:14:32 UTC
So.. What the counter play?

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

"A man who talks to people who aren't real is crazy. A man who talks to people who aren't real and writes down what they say is an author."

Justin Cody
War Firm
#3 - 2017-04-13 05:38:38 UTC
Maria Dragoon wrote:

No you don't play against each other but you can always refit, use eccm script to make it harder etc - lots of counter play - also remote eccm from fleet members and other things that factor into it. It is balaced mainly by ship class - that is no t1 frigate can be effective vs say a t2 heavy assault cruiser
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2017-04-13 06:15:39 UTC
Not just No, but Hell No.
Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2017-04-13 07:41:12 UTC
So insta-win via easy as hell mini game. .. BRB guys I'm gonna get myself a titan with a probe!!!
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2017-04-13 13:49:14 UTC
Justin Cody wrote:
So with the meta currently favoring "60km or go home" outside of the tech 3 cruiser market I have had some thoughts - perhaps to go along with some of the newer additions like Polarized weapons and Stasis Grapplers.

So your idea to potentially gettign away from the 60KM or GTFO meta is to make it more dangerous to fly at close range? Like on top of definitely being within tackle range, you will also be in rage to lose your ship without it's tank being relevant at all?

Actually, your tank is now kind of a loss because the more you fit, the less space you have for CPU/ECCM boost to defend against this.
Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#7 - 2017-04-13 20:02:00 UTC
Um.

No. Just no. You want my ship, come blow it up like everyone else.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2017-04-13 20:36:03 UTC
now i'm not entirely opposed to the idea of a module like this the more I think about it.

would be an interesting way to deal with AFK miners. and make freighter piracy more interesting.

give it a long cycle time, say 3-5 minutes, and flags you suspect, at the end of that cycle time you get the mini-game. if you succeed, they get ejected and cannot board for 10 seconds, if you fail it instantly puts them into warp (assuming they are already attempting to warp)

for afk miners, well they have 3-5 minutes to notice it and attempt to escape etc (in HS its only a suspect timer so the honorable code agent will not be concordokened simply for trying) which means the miner could warp away.

for freighter piracy, it gives an alternative to ganking. you would need to keep the freighter bumped (and in range) long enough to complete your cycle, and then would need to succeed on the hack attempt on the very first try (otherwise they instawarp) but if your willing to take that risk you stand the chance of getting the whole shebang instead of just what drops.
Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#9 - 2017-04-13 22:42:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Elenahina
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
now i'm not entirely opposed to the idea of a module like this the more I think about it.

would be an interesting way to deal with AFK miners. and make freighter piracy more interesting.

give it a long cycle time, say 3-5 minutes, and flags you suspect, at the end of that cycle time you get the mini-game. if you succeed, they get ejected and cannot board for 10 seconds, if you fail it instantly puts them into warp (assuming they are already attempting to warp)

for afk miners, well they have 3-5 minutes to notice it and attempt to escape etc (in HS its only a suspect timer so the honorable code agent will not be concordokened simply for trying) which means the miner could warp away.

for freighter piracy, it gives an alternative to ganking. you would need to keep the freighter bumped (and in range) long enough to complete your cycle, and then would need to succeed on the hack attempt on the very first try (otherwise they instawarp) but if your willing to take that risk you stand the chance of getting the whole shebang instead of just what drops.

Did you miss the part where it warp scrambles you? And failure just generates some heat? So basically - I get to try until I get it right or burn out the module, and there is literally **** all you can do about it.

Why not just let people mount doomsdays on shuttles and call it a day. Also, I'd like a hacking minigame that forces people to undock from stations whether they're actually logged in or not. And if I fail, it generates a random noob ship in my asset list to annoy me a bit.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2017-04-13 22:45:47 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:

Did you miss the part where it warp scrambles you? And failure just generates some heat? So basically - I get to try until I get it right or burn out the module, and there is literally **** all you can do about it.

Why not just let people mount doomsdays on shuttles and call it a day. Also, I'd like a hacking minigame that forces people to undock from stations whether they're actually logged in or not. And if I fail, it generates a random noob ship in my asset list to annoy me a bit.

my suggestion was to remove the scram, turn it into a completely new type of pvp/piracy module.
oiukhp Muvila
Doomheim
#11 - 2017-04-14 03:46:19 UTC
Justin Cody wrote:
On success - pilots pod is forcibly ejected from the vessel...

Never going to happen.

Dark Lord Trump
0.0 Massive Dynamic
Pandemic Horde
#12 - 2017-04-14 04:11:43 UTC
Can I use the module on this post to eject you from the forum?

I'm going to build a big wall that will keep the Gallente out, and they're going to pay for it!

Maria Dragoon
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2017-04-14 07:59:50 UTC
Justin Cody wrote:
Maria Dragoon wrote:

No you don't play against each other but you can always refit, use eccm script to make it harder etc - lots of counter play - also remote eccm from fleet members and other things that factor into it. It is balaced mainly by ship class - that is no t1 frigate can be effective vs say a t2 heavy assault cruiser

That not what I asked, what I ask, is how do I counter having someone lock me down with warp-scrams all around and forcing me out of my ship, that is fair to both sides?

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

"A man who talks to people who aren't real is crazy. A man who talks to people who aren't real and writes down what they say is an author."

Fek Mercer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2017-04-14 23:13:52 UTC
perhaps if it only worked on ships of the same or lower class
Marika Sunji
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2017-04-15 19:26:55 UTC
Fek Mercer wrote:
perhaps if it only worked on ships of the same or lower class

My shitfit 80m Ferox would like you to kindly take a hike out of your 2b tengu, please.
Alderson Point
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2017-04-15 21:37:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alderson Point
This is not going to improve playability, player engagement, or "fun" other than a possible griefing possibility.

The idea ranks with see a ship, play the mini game, and it spontaneously explodes.

So why? Everybody has Ideas, most consider the effects and benefits before telling the world.
Arden Elenduil
Unlimited Bear Works
#17 - 2017-04-15 21:38:07 UTC
Alderson Point wrote:
This is not going to improve playability, player engagement, or "fun"

So why? Everybody has Ideas, most consider the effects and benefits before telling the world.

Pot, meet kettle
Alderson Point
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2017-04-15 21:40:08 UTC
Arden Elenduil wrote:
Alderson Point wrote:
This is not going to improve playability, player engagement, or "fun"

Pot, meet kettle

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see, back at you. Blink
Tara Thellare
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2017-04-16 14:50:42 UTC
In addition to the criticisms above, how does this enable piracy in a way that shooting them didn't? How does this solve your 60k problem? I mean, it's out of the box so I'm fascinated but this just sounds like you don't want to train up your gunnery skills.

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.