These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[IDEA] Introducing the STING

First post
Author
Stellan Crendraven
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#1 - 2017-04-15 18:25:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Stellan Crendraven
A.k.a. the Stellar Terawatt Interface Generator, a new Upwell concept that interfaces with a star's corona to produce various system-wide effects... among other things decloaking everything.

This structure would need to be anchored within 1 AU of a star. As per the usual Upwell anchoring mechanic, the structure will take 24h to anchor at least, or more. Unlike other Upwell structures, however, and more like ESS'es, the structure will only allow tethering but no docking.

Once online, the structure will be inert, and visible on the overview of every visitor in a system. Using access lists, a pilot can interact with the structure as follows when he or she is tethered to the structure.

• The structure has a fuel bay, takes a non-trivial amount of various fuels to activate. So far my idea revolves on having to use 2000 Fuel Blocks, 10000 Strontium Clathrates and 50 Broadcast Nodes. (About 220 million ISK at current Jita sell).
  • When the fuel bay has the minimal required amount, the pilot can assume control of the STING and activate the structure's main module (the "Stellar Plasma Operational Ordinance Launcher").
  • Once the SPOOL is activated, the pilot will be scrambled by the STING until the SPOOL cycles. The activation time must be significantly long enough. Perhaps somewhere between 5 minutes and 30 minutes.
  • If the pilot breaks tether (or is bumped outside tether range), the SPOOL will deactivate (and the fuel still be consumed).
  • Once the SPOOL has cycled, it sends a "pulse" through the entire system that causes every cloak in the system to fail.
  • The pulse prevents all recloaking for a few minutes (e.g. 5 minutes)
  • As the SPOOL warm-up cycle begins, a message will be displayed in Local. Something like "CapsuleerMcPilot has activated a SPOOL module. Warning, evidence of tremendous coronal activity is reported by solar observatories".
  • During the cloaking interdiction period, all ships in system will suffer a doubling of their lock times (same effect as if a cloak was activated).

Limitations:

• Gate cloak remains unaffected
  • Limited to K-space, perhaps only in LS and 0.0. Sorry, wormholers, the chaotic nature of J-space renders the STING inoperable.
  • Only one per system.
  • Can only fire once every 4 hours. Once the SPOOL pulse has been sent, the magnetic fields in the stellar corona need to reverse their polarity.

This is so far a very vague idea, but I'm working on refining it. Let me know what you think of it?

In the beginning, there was pain and despair. And death. Immense tragedies and terrible catastrophies.

Stellan Crendraven
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#2 - 2017-04-15 18:25:22 UTC
[RESERVED]

In the beginning, there was pain and despair. And death. Immense tragedies and terrible catastrophies.

Arden Elenduil
Unlimited Bear Works
#3 - 2017-04-15 18:59:27 UTC
Oh dear, here we go again...

Please learn to look at the stickied threads in this forum. Contrary to popular belief, they're not cloaked.
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#4 - 2017-04-15 19:00:59 UTC
The trash can for AFK cloaking whines is here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=397030&p=460
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2017-04-15 19:06:18 UTC
No, you cannot remove cloaks from the game, please go back to the designated crying about cloaks containment thread.
Marika Sunji
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2017-04-15 19:12:12 UTC
Arden Elenduil wrote:
Oh dear, here we go again...

Please learn to look at the stickied threads in this forum. Contrary to popular belief, they're not cloaked.

But are they AFK?
Stellan Crendraven
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#7 - 2017-04-15 19:25:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Stellan Crendraven
Perhaps I should explain myself first. I have nothing against active cloaky camping. If a pilot is in a system cloaked, when the pulse would come, the pilot has had plenty of time to make safes and bounce around during the interdiction phase.

AFK cloaky camping itself, however, is not what I would call an engaging type of gameplay. Not necessarily for me, mind you. But if you prefer to spend you $20 a month to stay cloaked in a system, who am I to stop you?

Arden Elenduil
Unlimited Bear Works
#8 - 2017-04-15 19:30:15 UTC
Stellan Crendraven wrote:
Perhaps I should explain myself first. I have nothing against active cloaky camping. If a pilot is in a system cloaked, when the pulse would come, the pilot has had plenty of time to make safes and bounce around during the interdiction phase.

AFK cloaky camping itself, however, is not what I would call an engaging type of gameplay. Not necessarily for me, mind you. But if you prefer to spend you $20 a month to stay cloaked in a system, who am I to stop you?

Then you should post your idea in the AFK cloaking sticky thread, wouldn't you agree?
Stellan Crendraven
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#9 - 2017-04-15 19:32:13 UTC
Indeed, my mistake.

ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#10 - 2017-04-15 20:01:34 UTC
Please use the AFK cloaking thread for your idea. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=397030&p=460

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.