These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Time to upgrade forums?

First post
Author
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#21 - 2017-04-10 20:40:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
ISD Max Trix wrote:
Check out the Valkyrie forums if you want a general idea of what the new forums will look like.

Is this some elaborate plan to get rid of the last people on the forums?

Basically yes.
Look what I found on discourse forums, in the thread about why people are not using it:
Quote:
This is the key, when I transitioned my phpBB forum many of my users hated Discourse - because it was unfamiliar. Some grew to love it, a lot did not bother trying and left.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/my-latest-forum-but-its-not-running-discourse-heres-why/18533

Quote:

There is tremendous technical and sociological friction to change in any established community.

We believe Discourse works best for new discussion communities. It is definitely possible to convert existing communities to Discourse, but there needs to be broad dissatisfaction with the status quo and strong support for change from the community leaders.

:sad:
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#22 - 2017-04-10 21:04:01 UTC
No refunds for those with fewer than 1000 likes. All players with more than 1000 likes will get converted to newplex

@lunettelulu7

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#23 - 2017-04-10 21:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Lulu Lunette wrote:
No refunds for those with fewer than 1000 likes. All players with more than 1000 likes will get converted to newplex

I dont see any option to show likes around poster avatar or anywhere else than beside the post. There will be no likes to show out. Everyone's description will be like your typical chinese uniform around the Mao rules if they will not modify anything, and they did nothing for valkyrie forums, they are not caring anymore about us...

It will be a shadow of these forums!!!!!
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#24 - 2017-04-10 21:39:09 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
they are not caring anymore about us...

Sure they are. People hated the idea of likes when this forum was first started. CCP is just finally giving y'all what you declared you wanted.

I thought you all would be thrilled about this.

Mr Epeen Cool
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#25 - 2017-04-10 21:47:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Mr Epeen wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Sure they are. People hated the idea of likes when this forum was first started. CCP is just finally giving y'all what you declared you wanted.

Mr Epeen Cool

Oh really? I did not seen anyone complaining about likes. ever.

Heh, for someone with the "Mr Epeen" name, you dont seem very concerned about complete defaultness that will embrace you soon. 😛
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#26 - 2017-04-10 21:59:13 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

Heh, as someone with the "Mr Epeen" name, you dont seem very concerned about complete defaultness that will embrace you soon. 😛
In the old forum I'd get a dozen posts quoting mine with the word "This" as the entire post. One of the reasons CCP went to the likes mechanic, I'm guessing.

In any case, my ego will be fed no matter how they end up going with this.

Mr Epeen Cool
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#27 - 2017-04-10 22:26:19 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

Heh, as someone with the "Mr Epeen" name, you dont seem very concerned about complete defaultness that will embrace you soon. 😛
In the old forum I'd get a dozen posts quoting mine with the word "This" as the entire post. One of the reasons CCP went to the likes mechanic, I'm guessing.

In any case, my ego will be fed no matter how they end up going with this.

Mr Epeen Cool

But what about your epeen? Will it not implode?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#28 - 2017-04-10 22:52:39 UTC
Circumstantial Evidence wrote:
Now with search....

Dev troll best troll.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#29 - 2017-04-10 22:57:46 UTC
What would you guys like to see in a new forum? I'm pretty jaded and joked about how they announce/tip their hand to a new forum and that just means we're all gonna be redditors Smile Personally, I think it would be cool if there was a creative way to integrate our Twitters but where do you stop with the social media and the crashing down of the real life barrier -? Might as well toss our facebooks and instagrams and now snapchat's getting a big push from the devs.

I'm gonna miss this forum but interested and looking forward to what they have rolling out Smile

@lunettelulu7

Oraac Ensor
#30 - 2017-04-11 00:49:53 UTC
Spc One wrote:
ISD Max Trix wrote:
Check out the Valkyrie forums if you want a general idea of what the new forums will look like.

I just checked them out, Valkyrie forums are ugly, flat design, and very strange fonts, i do not like it.

Preview:
https://forums.evevalkyrie.com/

Shocked

Current eve forums are so much better.

Eeerrrggghhh!!!!!

Hideous. I agree - what we have now is better by a country mile.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#31 - 2017-04-11 05:22:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Lulu Lunette wrote:
What would you guys like to see in a new forum? I'm pretty jaded and joked about how they announce/tip their hand to a new forum and that just means we're all gonna be redditors Smile Personally, I think it would be cool if there was a creative way to integrate our Twitters but where do you stop with the social media and the crashing down of the real life barrier -? Might as well toss our facebooks and instagrams and now snapchat's getting a big push from the devs.

I'm gonna miss this forum but interested and looking forward to what they have rolling out Smile

It will be default Discourse with a white on grey or black theme. Everything else similar to current forums would retain some long established part of community. I ddont think that is why they want to roll out new environment.

They want to WRECK this forum community and establish a new, sheep people forumbase. Where individuality and freedom of expression will be crushed by lack of likes counter, alliance or corp info, small, peephole sized avatars and no signatures.

Discourse, where your forum main will be forever your forum alt.

Curent forums will be left where evelopedia is now.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2017-04-11 07:48:56 UTC
Yeah, that's a sad sorry state of affairs for a Forum that's suppose to be beneficial and enlightening for the game community. In all my years of posting in these forums, I've never once seen anyone complain about this forums type of format. These forums are extremely user friendly and easy to navigate.

So let me get this straight.

First the Jukebox was too much of a strain to maintain, is removed and replaced with random music list which is called an upgrade.

Next the Evelopedia was too much of a strain to maintain, is removed and replaced with referrals to 3rd party wiki's in similar state which is called an upgrade.

Then the IGB was too much of a strain to maintain, is removed and replaced with referrals to 3rd party overlays that require more data to be downloaded which is called an upgrade.

Now these forums are too much of a strain to maintain, are being removed and replaced with a 3rd party forum media requiring even more data to be downloaded which is being called an upgrade.

Can definitely see a pattern. I remember when players use to say that GoonSwarm would kill the game. In reality it's CCP that is killing this game, with each little so called upgrade they implement.

Yes indeed, tis a sad sorry state of affairs.

DMC
Nicola Romanoff
United Stellar Federation
The Rogue University
#33 - 2017-04-11 08:53:40 UTC
I am surprised that CCP havent got rid of them like they did the Wiki and IGB.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2017-04-11 09:17:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
New forums are currently in the works. They look pretty good, actually.

Please don't be xenforo
Please don't be xenforo
Please don't be xenforo...

Oh Jesus Christ it's discourse, I take it back please use xenforo
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2017-04-11 09:57:07 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
New forums are currently in the works. They look pretty good, actually.

Quote:

These two do not go together. Which is it?

It's both. Valkyrie's forums are the template for what they'll be doing, with some additional features and things in it.

Yeah, that's my point. One ISD says the forums look good, the other says the Valkyrie forums are used as a template.

News flash; the Valkyrie forums are a complete abomination is usability and design. They are by far the ugliest forums I have ever seen.

Quote:
Please don't be xenforo
Please don't be xenforo
Please don't be xenforo...

Xenforo is the top forum software being used today. I wished they used Xenforo, maybe then we'd get something with the features of a modern forum AND something that looks good. Instead we now have neither.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Roland Schlosser
Meteor Industrial Complex
#36 - 2017-04-11 11:30:31 UTC
I still miss the old forums...
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#37 - 2017-04-11 12:56:09 UTC
Mister Tuggles
THE AESIR.
#38 - 2017-04-11 22:02:18 UTC
Upgrade to reddit. Much better.
Shelby Dusette
Division 13
#39 - 2017-04-11 22:13:03 UTC
Forum upgrade is a great idea.

I love the forums. I have to say though that the Valkyrie forums really are ugly though, sorry. If we're stuck with that then I hope significant liberty is taken with the layout and design before it's adapted to the EVE forums. Straight

Zanar Skwigelf
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#40 - 2017-04-12 15:24:56 UTC
Anyone else notice that ISD stopped posting as soon as everyone started complaining about how ugly the Valkyrie forums are?

:thinking:
Previous page123Next page