These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kyonoke] Contagion Tracking, Containment, Planning

Author
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#361 - 2017-04-09 17:33:24 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Dat's cuz you don't get no re-speck 'round heah.

I won't even bother telling you what that one earned you. You already know.
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#362 - 2017-04-09 22:24:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Makoto Priano
As we have some additional time, I'll summarize ARC's handling of votes here. A more in-depth discussion will follow with the formal AAR.

Each day, before voting, the coordinators on site and any stakeholders participated in deliberations on how to exert our influence. To that end, decisions were made based on the current situation and such information as we were presented at the time. Please note that in some cases, because the acts weren't diametrically opposed, we were compelled to vote in ways that were not necessarily optimal.

Day One:

• Amarr declaration: begin immediate, mandatory treatment testing in quarantine zones on all exposed populations.
  • Minmatar declaration: begin joint restitution to cover for rebuilding quarantine zones after resolution of the crisis.

During the first day, we were for much of the day uncertain on whether or how a treatment would be developed, and so viewed the Amarr resolution as at best wasteful or at worst likely to prevent deployment of an effective treatment developed later. To that end, despite being ambivalent about the Minmatar declaration, we decided to support it over the Amarr resolution. That ambivalence, however, resulted in a relatively minor use of our influence, and so the Amarr resolution passed. With events since then, we believe that the Amarr resolution should hopefully work out. We reserved much of our influence for the next day's work.

Over the course of the day, we developed an understanding of the scope of the situation: the escape of a patient, loss of equipment, and continued presence of saboteurs aboard the station.

Day Two:

• Caldari declaration: preserve non-transparency in containment in each empire's handling of quarantine zones.
  • Gallente declaration: ban use of extreme sanitation measures in each quarantine zone.

During the second day, we began making progress. At times it seemed slow and halting, and so we remained uncertain of success in the face of active sabotage efforts, which included a firefight in the concourse of the levels reserved for Inquest work. To this end, despite preferring transparency, we deemed it necessary to preserve the ability to use extreme measures if necessary to clear quarantine zones. Given the nature of the crisis, preserving contaminated areas was deemed non-viable without a cure. ARC coordination and stakeholders overwhelmingly favored the Caldari measure, and given challenge by an apparently psychotic but influential independent capsuleer, we employed our full influence to push the Caldari measure decisively.

Over the course of the day, we made significant progress in securing assets related to the cure already developed by Poteque Pharmaceuticals, but were uncertain if we'd be successful in securing the remainder, or in identifying and neutralizing the saboteurs.

Day Three:

• Amarr and Caldari declaration: immediately cleanse all quarantine zones.
  • Gallente and Matari declaration: share all information pertaining to research and investigation of the Kyonoke crisis.

The third day was decisive. We had full grasp of the remaining matters to resolve, familiarity with the staff and facility, and after the challenge on the day prior were motivated to leave no question of our ability to close matters. Having preserved the ability of each state to do what was necessary in their own zones, we strongly favored the Gallente and Matari resolution, to ensure transparency where it mattered: on research and intelligence. To that end, with the overwhelming support we were able to garner from staff and capsuleer alike over the third day, ARC was able to both amend the Gallente/Matari act to ensure proper audit procedures for the information sharing to try to curtail the inevitable shady business, and then to pass the act with a frankly embarrassing margin of victory.

Now, we honestly didn't have time to thoroughly vet extensive legalese behind the fairly pithy acts put before us. This is not ideal by any measure. The devil is, after all, in the details. Provided that the administration of the Inquest remains true to its objectives, and that our work has merited the political capital to reduce empire politicking to avoid being pinned down by the Inquest, the Inquest participants essentially have resolved:

1) All quarantine zones will see the immediate deployment of a treatment regime that appears to successfully cure the infected.
2) All empires have license to take measures in their quarantine zones as they see fit, without outside interference, beyond deployment of the cure.
3) All empires are now compelled to share research and intelligence data, and to allow auditing to verify the veracity and completeness of the records they share.

Honestly, I think we did pretty damned well. I believe I speak for all of those we've worked with that the results were as close to ideal as could be managed given the unforgiving circumstances and timeline.

As always, however, we'll see what happens in reality, once this all leaves the pressure cooker of the Inquest halls.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#363 - 2017-04-09 22:49:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Sakura Nihil
I'm honestly surprised with how well things turned out. Instead of seeing tens of millions of people dying (plus losses from a Keepstar's destruction), there's a cure, the infected locations can be assisted, and one of the culprits has been apprehended. When's the last time we saw the best-case scenario play out in a situation like this?

Two things still nag me a bit:

1) Maybe I missed the memo, but why did Vulture and Rook do this in the first place? Are they just assholes, or do they have a motive beyond just spreading mayhem and destruction?

2) Why did they hit the targets they did? No offense to those infected, but their target selections were abysmal. If you're going to spread a plague in the hopes of infecting large populations, why would you spread it on several backwater stations, and one third-rate planet?

As a parting thought, seriously, can we just tow the Kyonoke Pit into the star already? Or hire PL to give it a scorching blast of several hundred doomsday shots already?
Makoto Priano
#364 - 2017-04-09 22:54:19 UTC
Ms. Nihil; I believe it's important to note that Rook and Vulture weren't part of the original plot. That appears to be a cell of possibly Dragonaur-related extremists. Rook and Vulture coopted Akira Kasaras, and in the resulting chaos during the early stages of the Kasaras/Pakera plot, appear to have possibly infected RP4 on their own, or at least locked it down if the infection was actually done by the extremists.

Essentially, there are two groups operating in here that have some culpability.

I can only assume, after all, that any FIO operation with proper oversight would've simply aimed to scuttle the Kasaras/Pakera plot without attempting to secure a sample of the Kyonoke pathogen.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#365 - 2017-04-09 23:01:05 UTC
Mm. I'll defer to you on the majority of your points, except for the last bit... were I in FIO, I would see the chance to acquire a sample of the pathogen as too good to pass up.

From their perspective, not only would acquiring it take it out of the hands of extremists, but it would put it into your hands, allowing for a "safe" study where potential countermeasures could be devised, in case it was ever unleashed on Federal populations at-large. At least, that's what they'd be telling themselves while they do such a reckless thing.

In any event, as they say, "op success".
Makoto Priano
#366 - 2017-04-09 23:03:45 UTC
Surely.

Of course, while Rook and Vulture appear to be operating as part of some sort of intelligence apparatus, we don't necessarily know that it's FIO. There are suggestive points of data, but by no means anything decisive.

Oland Jan
Doomheim
#367 - 2017-04-09 23:05:19 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Ms. Nihil; I believe it's important to note that Rook and Vulture weren't part of the original plot. That appears to be a cell of possibly Dragonaur-related extremists. Rook and Vulture coopted Akira Kasaras, and in the resulting chaos during the early stages of the Kasaras/Pakera plot, appear to have possibly infected RP4 on their own, or at least locked it down if the infection was actually done by the extremists.

Essentially, there are two groups operating in here that have some culpability.

I can only assume, after all, that any FIO operation with proper oversight would've simply aimed to scuttle the Kasaras/Pakera plot without attempting to secure a sample of the Kyonoke pathogen.
Sorry but I don't follow, who exactly are you blaming?
Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#368 - 2017-04-09 23:06:14 UTC
At least the coming days and weeks should be interesting, thanks to the amendments of the Hope resolution.

I'll start making popcorn.
DeT Resprox
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#369 - 2017-04-09 23:25:08 UTC
Ushra'Khan medical supply vessels are currently en-route en-masse to Muttokon.

Ushra'Khan Leader + Founder // T.R.I.A.D CEO // EVEPANDORA.COM

Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#370 - 2017-04-09 23:37:17 UTC
DeT Resprox wrote:
Ushra'Khan medical supply vessels are currently en-route en-masse to Muttokon.

You have docking access at the MCSC citadel in orbit over Muttokon II.

... although that said, so far there's still no indication we're needed.
Makoto Priano
#371 - 2017-04-09 23:45:32 UTC
Oland Jan wrote:

Essentially, that two groups were involved. One appears to be an extremist nationalist cell, possibly Dragonaur-related. The other is some sort of intelligence apparatus. Currently-available intel nods suggestively at possibly off-reservation FIO operatives trying to cover up an attempt to research the Kyonoke pathogen, but is by no means decisive.

If my suppositions are accurate, both the State and Federation have some housecleaning to do.

Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#372 - 2017-04-09 23:56:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Sakura Nihil
Whoops, one last thing to add - does anyone know the full name of the maintenance technician I was working alongside yesterday? His help was instrumental in discovering Patient 7 and thus securing the cure, and I promised him 50M ISK and a pair of beers for his assistance. He seemed cool helping us out even without the financial incentive, but I promised and I try to keep my word.

Please forward any relevant information on him to me through private mail, if possible. Thanks.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#373 - 2017-04-09 23:56:31 UTC
I'm still extremely wary of the safety of this cure/treatment/vaccine. Is this actually a persistent (ie: self-replicating) nanomachine treatment? Are we really looking at infecting vast swaths of humanity and other forms of life with an artificial virus whose long-term effects are unknown in the name of expediency?

I get that people want to help the folks in the quarantine zones, but I really do have to question the sanity of endangering trillions to save a couple hundred million or so.
Jesse James Horn
Doomheim
#374 - 2017-04-10 00:29:31 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Oland Jan wrote:

Essentially, that two groups were involved. One appears to be an extremist nationalist cell, possibly Dragonaur-related. The other is some sort of intelligence apparatus. Currently-available intel nods suggestively at possibly off-reservation FIO operatives trying to cover up an attempt to research the Kyonoke pathogen, but is by no means decisive.

If my suppositions are accurate, both the State and Federation have some housecleaning to do.

Hrm... interesting. We will take a look at the final report , when it comes out.
Oland Jan
Doomheim
#375 - 2017-04-10 01:19:38 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Oland Jan wrote:

Thank you for the clarification.
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#376 - 2017-04-10 02:32:05 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
I'm still extremely wary of the safety of this cure/treatment/vaccine. Is this actually a persistent (ie: self-replicating) nanomachine treatment? Are we really looking at infecting vast swaths of humanity and other forms of life with an artificial virus whose long-term effects are unknown in the name of expediency?

I get that people want to help the folks in the quarantine zones, but I really do have to question the sanity of endangering trillions to save a couple hundred million or so.

In other words, you would like to peruse their publications, documentations and technical data sheets, especially those pertaining to safety tests?

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Aria Jenneth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#377 - 2017-04-10 02:46:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
Ms. Culome, I'm too tired to argue.

My guess at the nanite-based nature of the cure is just that: a guess, based partly on what I'd guess would be needed to counter the speck and partly on the basic state of modern medicine. The mixtures being experimented with during the Inquest were ... a little odd. The researchers never really brought up the word "nanite," or any other word. It's a very-imperfectly-educated guess. That's all.

(Where in all the worlds did you get the impression either that I was somehow bound to respect the democratic process or that I "corrupted" it? It wasn't exactly one vote a head to begin with, and I didn't think there was anything unusual about people involved in this kind of politics forming voting blocs? Are you just kind of picking anything in reach to beat me over the head with right now?)

(Are you really that disappointed we didn't all end in a fireball?)

The station's getting resupplied, presently, and I'm okay with respecting the quarantine while it lasts.

Can you maybe stop yelling? (I know you probably think you're not, but I say, like, one thing, and I get back a doctoral thesis on how wrong I am based on something I once said I thought might be the case.)
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#378 - 2017-04-10 06:39:30 UTC
Every concern she's raised is a valid one and none of them have been really been answered by anyone, other than with a whole lot of deflection.
Jev North
Doomheim
#379 - 2017-04-10 06:40:47 UTC
Mm. Could it be she's basically asking the wrong people.

Even though our love is cruel; even though our stars are crossed.

Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#380 - 2017-04-10 09:46:06 UTC
Public forum, public discussion, and it's not like the people weren't involved. It's almost as if this is worthy of some discussion, given that somehow these people were given the power to determine the fate of New Eden by some undetermined means and this raises questions.

It's not like anyone's got a gun to their head to respond, and it'd appear that some people apparently have access to information and events others don't. Again, for undetermined reasons.

Is it surprising that questions are raised about a charlie foxtrot of these proportions?