These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FW Novice complex pvp noob

Author
Raymond Orr
Doomheim
#1 - 2017-04-03 23:45:20 UTC
I have a character with good support skills, drone skills, and currently nothing in guns/missiles. I'm looking for the ship that would be easiest to fly in a novice FW plex and have a chance to take a few fights once I got better DPS skills. In essence I'm looking for a beginner ship so that I don't have to deny every fight in FW, as I do currently. :)

The simpler the better, because the simpler my ship is to fly, the less pilot error I will be able to make (other than what targets to engage vs flee). Once I get a better handle on it, I will expand my repertoire.
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2017-04-04 08:25:14 UTC
AB Slasher with a TD.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#3 - 2017-04-04 09:10:19 UTC
OP: I do not have guns skill
Raymond Orr wrote:
I have a character with good support skills, drone skills, and currently nothing in guns/missiles.

True caldari militia answer:
Yang Aurilen wrote:
AB Slasher with a TD.

Back to question:
You need something tanky enough, so you will at least understand what is going on before you pop. With drones skills your choice is a Tristan, obviosely. If you have enough money or federal LP - Maulus Navy Issue. Both ships can be used as a good brawler platform (AB + Scram + 400mm armor plate), but you need guns for that. So you will have to use classical kiting fit with no guns (MWD + disruptor + shield extender). Just do not forget to tell your drones to leave that NPC alone and get to your real enemy ;)
Raymond Orr
Doomheim
#4 - 2017-04-04 11:57:53 UTC
It's ok that the guy is suggesting a guns skill ship for me; I can train towards that! I was just trying to determine where to focus..

Thank you, guys.
Oreb Wing
Last Rites.
#5 - 2017-04-04 16:02:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Oreb Wing
Breacher. Get some rockets. Won't take long to train. Will work like that Slasher if you AB fit it.
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#6 - 2017-04-05 14:36:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Thanatos Marathon
Edit cuz someone already said it: Tristan
Kaivarian Coste
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2017-04-05 20:42:40 UTC
Tristan would be the best choice if you're only flying T1 frigs.
Oreb Wing
Last Rites.
#8 - 2017-04-05 21:14:45 UTC
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
How has no one said Tristan?

Tristan is up there. Up in comment #3
Master Sergeant MacRobert
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#9 - 2017-04-06 12:41:54 UTC
The great thing is that most of the Tech 1 Frigates are fun and able for the theatre of combat you mention. All are relatively cheap to try and learn through your losses.

Sometimes you need inventive fits sometimes go with the meta.

The most fun are the ships that have flexible setups so there can be a number of surprises. Tristan, Kestrel, Slasher, Tormentor are all good at this.

If only the Nereus fitted into small or medium complexes. You could have fun with a battle industrial!

All you need is to select your tech 2 damage dealing type to train and then go. Tech 1 guns/missiles/drones don't do.

"Remedy this situation or you shall live out the rest of your life in a pain amplifier"

JetStream Drenard
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#10 - 2017-04-06 13:01:13 UTC
Raymond Orr wrote:
I have a character with good support skills, drone skills, and currently nothing in guns/missiles. I'm looking for the ship that would be easiest to fly in a novice FW plex and have a chance to take a few fights once I got better DPS skills. In essence I'm looking for a beginner ship so that I don't have to deny every fight in FW, as I do currently. :)

All races are good. Guns are a shorter train then missiles. You already have drone skills, so Gallente frigates are an obvious choice. Obviously the Tristan first, then you can check out the Incursus, Atron, Comet, and Maulus Navy, after you trained hybrids.

Raymond Orr wrote:
easiest to fly

The simplest to manage click-wise in a fight are buffer fit ships. Active tanks can be better, if you have good character skills and are able to manage them during a fight.
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#11 - 2017-04-06 13:11:24 UTC
Oreb Wing wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
How has no one said Tristan?

Tristan is up there. Up in comment #3

reading is hard I guess :p
W0lf Crendraven
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#12 - 2017-04-10 18:02:43 UTC
Tristan, breacher (dual tank fit), torm (beam scram kiter) are tier 1. All of those will do very well. Kestrel (mse, rockets), merlin, incursus, executioner (beam scram kiter), atron (neutron blaster) will also all do decently.

Comet is OP, hookbill is very good too. Firetail is ok but not on the level of the other 2. Slicer is either the best or the worst, but for a new pilot usually the worst.