These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best legal way to turn US$10 into ISK?

First post
Author
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#1 - 2017-03-09 16:42:08 UTC
I am thinking of spending US$10 on ISK, to subsidize the purchase of 2 skill injectors. I have been Googled and calculating, and I think this is the most value for money...

1) Spend US$10 on 2000 Aurums: https://secure.eveonline.com/AurStore/

2) Sell Aurums in the in-game market, to buy orders. E.g. https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=2833#buys

So, US$10 -> 2000 Aurums -> ~800 mil ISK, is the most amount of ISK I can get for US$10?

Keno Skir
#2 - 2017-03-09 16:46:48 UTC
Better off buying a PLEX i reckon, dunno what that is in dollars.
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#3 - 2017-03-09 17:06:29 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Better off buying a PLEX i reckon, dunno what that is in dollars.

1 PLEX is US$19.95: https://secure.eveonline.com/PLEX/

1 PLEX goes for around 1000 mil ISK: https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=29668#buys

I think it's more worth it to spend US$10 for ~800 mil ISK. Also, I just wanna spend US$10.
Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#4 - 2017-03-09 17:13:08 UTC
Renee Frost wrote:
I am thinking of spending US$10 on ISK, to subsidize the purchase of 2 skill injectors. I have been Googled and calculating, and I think this is the most value for money...

2) Sell Aurums in the in-game market, to buy orders. E.g. https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=2833#buys

So, US$10 -> 2000 Aurums -> ~800 mil ISK, is the most amount of ISK I can get for US$10?

I don't know the way to get the most isk for your dollar, but you would be better off creating a sell order rather than selling direct to a buy order.

Also don't move those aurum around. Dock in the station you wish to sell at and then redeem the items into the game.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

mkint
#5 - 2017-03-09 17:18:30 UTC
Renee Frost wrote:

Something sounds off to me. I don't have personal experience in this specific instance, but basic economics should be pushing for only a single $ -> isk conversion rate, especially when there aren't many avenues for inefficiencies to develop. Even if that aur is on sale, it still feels off. Check in game, not 3rd party, double check prices, double check all your math. I suppose it wouldn't be surprising if CCP built in a loss in $ > plex > aur (assuming that conversion is even still available) over $ > aur, but that still sounds like a huge discrepancy.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#6 - 2017-03-09 17:34:28 UTC
mkint wrote:

Something sounds off to me. I don't have personal experience in this specific instance, but basic economics should be pushing for only a single $ -> isk conversion rate, especially when there aren't many avenues for inefficiencies to develop. Even if that aur is on sale, it still feels off. Check in game, not 3rd party, double check prices, double check all your math. I suppose it wouldn't be surprising if CCP built in a loss in $ > plex > aur (assuming that conversion is even still available) over $ > aur, but that still sounds like a huge discrepancy.

Yup it sounds off to me too. But CCP's website and EVE Central says otherwise.

In any case, I am going to fly to Jita and verify those Aurum buy orders before making a move.
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#7 - 2017-03-09 17:36:42 UTC
Archibald Thistlewaite III wrote:

I don't know the way to get the most isk for your dollar, but you would be better off creating a sell order rather than selling direct to a buy order.

I am selling Aurum to a buy order because I checked the volume and it is extremely low. Might take a week to sell those Aurum and face competition from other sellers playing the 0.01 ISK game.

Archibald Thistlewaite III wrote:

Also don't move those aurum around. Dock in the station you wish to sell at and then redeem the items into the game.

GREAT advice. Thanks!
Demolishar
United Aggression
#8 - 2017-03-09 17:42:01 UTC
If you have time to burn, buy a subscription for your char (over 5M SP of course) then train SP and extract them.
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#9 - 2017-03-09 17:44:27 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
If you have time to burn, buy a subscription for your char (over 5M SP of course) then train SP and extract them.

That is a nice alternative idea. Subscribe an alt to use as a skill farm. Nice. Probably the cheapest way to get skill injectors. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm going for the 2x injectors right away though. Don't have an alt with > 5mil SP so it'll be too long a way. :p
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#10 - 2017-03-09 18:00:09 UTC
Just a quick note.

The aurum that you can see buy orders for are Aurum tokens. Which you can't get from the Aurum store.

So you can't buy aurum then sell it directly.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#11 - 2017-03-09 18:04:19 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Just a quick note.

The aurum that you can see buy orders for are Aurum tokens. Which you can't get from the Aurum store.

So you can't buy aurum then sell it directly.

This was such an IMPORTANT piece of information!

I almost got stuck with 2000 Aurums!!!!

Thank you so much!!
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#12 - 2017-03-09 18:13:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Renee Frost
Now that I know Aurums bought directly from CCP cannot be traded on the market, I guess the max I can get for US$10 is around...

1) Buy 2000 Aurum -> use Aurum to buy 2 skill extractors

2) Sell 2 skill extractors for around 240 mil ISK each

= US$10 for 480 mil ISK.

This means that buying a PLEX for US$20 and selling it for 1.05 BIL ISK gives on average more ISK for US$10.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2017-03-09 21:27:38 UTC
Take it to Jita and double it?
Renee Frost
Sarah's Covenant
#14 - 2017-03-09 22:27:04 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Take it to Jita and double it?

how? by trying to scam someone into thinking i'm selling skill injectors instead? Twisted
Chihuahuaraffe
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2017-03-10 01:46:32 UTC
Renee Frost wrote:
This means that buying a PLEX for US$20 and selling it for 1.05 BIL ISK gives on average more ISK for US$10.

If you buy two PLEX you get a price break (from CCP, US$ normal list pricing) and they're $17.50 each. There is *no* additional discount for larger quantities, thus no point in buying more than two at a time if you don't immediately need it.

So buying two PLEX at a time is probably the best return.

If you want to put up Sell orders for them, keep in mind that the fees are substantial to put one up for sale, so if you're just starting out you might not be able to afford to do anything but sell to an existing buy order for your first one. So buy two, sell one instantly to clear ~900M, then put up the second one for sale at a better price.
Dan Kharter
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2017-03-10 12:33:56 UTC
Renee Frost wrote:
Demolishar wrote:

That is a nice alternative idea. Subscribe an alt to use as a skill farm. Nice. Probably the cheapest way to get skill injectors. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm going for the 2x injectors right away though. Don't have an alt with > 5mil SP so it'll be too long a way. :p

Note that you cant extract alpha skills.
Taurean Eltanin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2017-03-10 13:32:59 UTC
There are two ways of looking at this.

The first is to see what you can buy from CCP with $10, and how much you can sell it for in game. This gives you an amount of capital to play with. An example of this would be buying skill extractors and selling them on the market.

The second approach is to buy a one month subscription and use it to train skills that generate an income. An example of this would be training PI skills to III on three characters across your account. With a small additional ISK injection at the end of the first month (because some of those characters will have just finished training their skills), you can probably then generate enough income each month to maintain Omega status (and all the benefits that flow from that).

In the long run, the second approach is more profitable. But the rewards are delayed, and sometimes you just want cash right now.

If you like reading about low sec piracy or wormhole pvp, you might enjoy my blog.