These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Getting paid to play EVE

Author
Meras en Daire
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-03-09 00:28:37 UTC
An earlier tangent I thought deserved it's own thread, generally as an answer to those who were asking how much EVE players are getting paid for their scientific contributions, and some additional observations.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.
If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.
If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.
If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 374 PLEX, not including discount for bulk purchases.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once, however they would be worth over 374,000,000,000 ISK.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#2 - 2017-03-09 00:39:09 UTC
Who in their right mind, even as a brand spanking new noob earns only 1mil isk/hr?Roll

False advertising is still false advertising.Roll

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Meras en Daire
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2017-03-09 00:45:41 UTC
Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:
Who in their right mind, even as a brand spanking new noob earns only 1mil isk/hr?Roll

So how much do you make/hour?
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4 - 2017-03-09 01:03:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
We aren't getting paid anything of real dollar value.

ISK has no value out of the game and can't be transferred for real currency.

So the answer to any question of how much are EVE players earning is always 0.

We gain value in other ways, but not in terms of money.
Lord Harrowmont
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2017-03-09 01:13:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Harrowmont
WW
Djsaeu
Doomheim
#6 - 2017-03-09 01:20:43 UTC
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#7 - 2017-03-09 03:37:12 UTC
I think OP is trying to make some sort of point but I'm not sure what it is.

People play EVE for fun, not to sustain themselves. As for minimum wage - if that's all you are earning perhaps you shouldn't be sinking so much money into PLEX in the first place... maybe a second job or night school would be a better use of your time instead.
Hir Miriel
Elves In Space
#8 - 2017-03-09 05:01:00 UTC
Money is a virtual construct, it lives in a virtual world.

Cold hard cash, doesn't exist. It's all some fanciful idea we put in our heads.

We can see this in a variety of ways.

1. The way the stock market reacts is emotional, based on fear mainly, the more fear the less your shares are worth.
2. Each country has their own virtual currency, the values of which change second by second, mainly based on fear.
3. Each person values money differently. For some, a $10 coffee is cheap, for others, it's a ridiculous price.
4. Watch ads for items, even high priced items like cars, and the ads are about emotions, about virtual feelings, that's how you make real sales.

Money has no value, apart from the value people think it has.

"Real" money directly translates to "virtual" currencies, like ISK, or BitCoin.

With MMOs there is usually a layer, or two, between the game currency, and real currency, mainly to get around laws. So we get PLEX and Aurum and so forth.

The law is still pre-internet. So you can, quite legally, sell virtual currency for real currency, and then let people use that virtual currency for gambling, as long as you don't give real rewards, but virtual items are fine.

But as we all know, virtual items have real value.

Now, back to the main point, yes, people have been paid to play online games. One example I remember is a chap who used his employees to train his characters up.

Could it be possible to have CCP pay people to play EVE?

How could that possibly work?

In a way it already happens with that Refer a Friend business, which pays you rewards for getting other people to pay money.

Much like a commission.

Youtube and Twitch are other ways of getting paid to play. Not sure how well that works for EVE. My guess is that EVE would need a bit of a makeover to make it look more exciting. The clutter on the screen distracts me, even with the excitement of huge battles.

So, I'd like to suggest CCP picks a player, or three, to make content for Youtube and Twitch, and provide the tools to make that an enjoyable experience.

I'm not sure how much game players earn; Starcraft, LoL players and all the rest are variable and built around arena type play, arenas which EVE doesn't have. But that's probably something EVE could do with, a battle place simulator with EVE rules, played from any station.

But if CCP paid an average wage they would be inundated by high quality applications.

There you go, one possibility for an EVE player to step on up, and be a player.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2017-03-09 07:35:43 UTC
Meras en Daire wrote:
Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:

Depends on what i'm doing, have made as much as half a bil in an hour. although more standard I can pull in about 100m-200m/hr if i'm actively trying to make some iskies. and that is in high-sec.

thing is, i don't play eve just to grind for isk. I have a day job, there is no reason for me to turn my hobby into one too.
and I make enough from passive income to pay for all of my accounts as well as have enough left over to afford just about any subcap I could want to fly.

A more accurate breakdown, taking my passive income into account would be to look at it on a monthly basis.
I generate roughly 11b a month in passive income, and then another 2b or so in active income. so lets say 13b a month.
call that 13 plex @ 19.95 = 260$ so in a month. I only play for about an hour or two most weeknights, and rarely on the weekends, so i'll say about 40hrs in a month.
260/40 = $6.48/hr or only about 75c/hr less than US minimum wage.

not bad for a HS carebear who spends most of his days just ******* around and having fun in the game.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#10 - 2017-03-09 15:30:42 UTC
Hir Miriel wrote:

I'm not sure how much game players earn

Take a wild guess.

I'd say one or two manage to make a living at it, and everyone else earns near zero.
Wolfgang Jannesen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2017-03-09 15:35:56 UTC
I certainly wouldn't call EVE an entertaining game to watch somebody else play, and on principle I don't think you should be able to make a living playing videogames.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#12 - 2017-03-09 15:47:27 UTC
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:

not bad for a HS carebear who spends most of his days just ******* around and having fun in the game.

If you make 350 billion isk a month without even trying and live in a solid gold mansion on the moon, but spend all your time in hisec, you haven't started to play EvE.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#13 - 2017-03-09 16:41:32 UTC
This sounds a lot like thatm tired old argument people use of " work some overtime and just buy PLEX" .

It's stupid, when my job lets me work overtime in my underwear while swilling beer and BSing on comms with my bros I'll consider giving up ratting and working lots of overtime to get gametime lol.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#14 - 2017-03-09 17:33:03 UTC
Meras en Daire wrote:
As a builder, I make between 0 and 30 billion an hour.

Usually zero. But you don't need many thirty billion hours to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.

Mr Epeen Cool
Demolishar
United Aggression
#15 - 2017-03-09 17:35:31 UTC
But a real life job will make you literally want to kill yourself, while EVE is fun and you set your own hours.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#16 - 2017-03-09 18:03:44 UTC
Meras en Daire wrote:
An earlier tangent I thought deserved it's own thread, generally as an answer to those who were asking how much EVE players are getting paid for their scientific contributions, and some additional observations.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.
If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.
If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.
If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 374 PLEX, not including discount for bulk purchases.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once, however they would be worth over 374,000,000,000 ISK.

EVE is a game, you play it because it's fun.

it is not work!

Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2017-03-09 18:33:47 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:

If you make 350 billion isk a month without even trying and live in a solid gold mansion on the moon, but spend all your time in hisec, you haven't started to play EvE.

Never said I spend all my time in HS, I travel around through all areas of space. but the majority of my isk making takes place in HS.
Cade Windstalker
#18 - 2017-03-09 18:35:20 UTC
Meras en Daire wrote:
Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:

Level 4 missions can run 100m or a bit more in High Sec, if you're really good.

Incursions run anywhere between 60-70m an hour to 150, depending on the fleet, the FC, and a bit of luck with spawns. The average is probably somewhere around 100-120 or so.

Carrier ratting in Null can run you 150 to 200 pretty easily.

Super Carrier ratting can pull in 350.

Titan Ratting can run 400+

Your basic assumption also assumes that I can freely convert my time between a paying job and Eve, when generally speaking I can't just decide to work for an hour instead of playing Eve for an hour. My free time is pre-defined and it's just a decision between different ways to use it. Some of those could potentially make money, but almost all would be freelance work and not under the umbrella of wage laws, and all of them would induce stress which has its own costs.

In short, what's the point of this post besides a lot of questionable math?
47 6f 64
Chilastra Syndicate
#19 - 2017-03-09 22:14:45 UTC
Titan ratting doesn't make you more than Super ratting.

I'm at ~450 million an hour as an average. And then ~ 23 billion a month in AFK income (research). Takes maybe 20 minutes a day to manage. If that

If I win please Evemail me.

Cade Windstalker
#20 - 2017-03-10 00:09:37 UTC
47 6f 64 wrote:
Titan ratting doesn't make you more than Super ratting.

I'm at ~450 million an hour as an average. And then ~ 23 billion a month in AFK income (research). Takes maybe 20 minutes a day to manage. If that

I have anecdotal evidence that says otherwise, but I'll admit I'm a bit sparse on data points for Titan and Super ticks. People are, somewhat understandably, shy about sharing anything more than rough figures.

But yes, you can make quite a lot more than any PvE activity provides if you're smart and decent at managing your assets Big smile
12Next page