These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

API Key Question

First post
Author
Amojin
Doomheim
#101 - 2017-03-07 05:34:48 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Amojin wrote:
Oh, I think you all are. 12,000 and 25,000 man 'groups.' Yeah, you're hopelessly confused. You've let yourself grow beyond any ability to manage anything, especially if you can't 'hire' good staff to delegate to.

Ah, right. We are all wrong, and you are right. You are quite full of yourself, aren't you?

And I really wonder why. You have so far shown no sign that you have the slightest clue about how anything in this game works. You have not shared your wisdom with us on how you imagine "hiring" this "staff" would work either. I suggest you go out and try to form a corp of your own, and achieve something with it. Doesn't have to be a big one. Maybe 50 guys, you can talk to all of those easily, right? And then go, and claim some space, so your members have a place to rat and mine and build POSes and Citadels. There are plenty of nullsec systems up for grabs at the moment. Or you could settle a wormhole - most of those are empty anyway. And once you have done that, I think we can continue talking.

Because at this point, any further discussion with you would be rather pointless. You asked a couple of questions in your OP, which is fair enough - can't know everything about Eve, can you now? And those questions have been answered. Yet, without knowing much about the game for some reason you do not accept those answers. Your opinion is set in stone. So the only reasonable thing to do would be to let you put that opinion to the test. Just play the game and see for yourself how hiring staff and talking to everyone in your corp will work out.

Clearly "our" method has been proven to work. Now it's your turn.

Amojin wrote:
So, basically, the diagnosis is this: Most people are evil and stupid.

And you are of course better than most people, I suppose?

I have enough to do in real life. Games are supposed to be a relaxation for me, not another job. There are enough of you that like it to be a job that I figured I'd happily just submit to you in eve-land, if that makes it more fun.

As for me being better than you, I love that trick question. 'For all have fallen short of the glory of God...' I could go on, but you get the point. No, I'm not better than you, I'm simply more willing to be honest. In some things, yes, I am absolutely more skilled than others. In some things, I have no skills at all. But it's not 'humble' to say you suck at something you're good at. It mocks the gifts God has granted. On the flipside, it is not a virtue to brag up something that you know nothing about.

Which sin do you think is most prevalent, here? I could give you a hint, but it won't be necessary, will it?
Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2017-03-07 05:43:25 UTC
Ah, but you see, I believe I'm being very honest with you. And I think you are full of **** (honestly). You are quite generous with your criticism, but you are quite stingy when it comes to ideas. It's easy to tell someone how to do something, but it's quite difficult to do it yourself.

It's fair that you are not willing to share your API key. You do not have to. But why are you so intent on convincing us that asking for API keys is wrong or bad somehow? Most of us are clearly ok with it. And those of us who aren't simply don't share their API key and go on with their lives. We are playing the game, we are having fun. And you can do the same, with or without sharing your API key.

Amojin
Doomheim
#103 - 2017-03-07 05:45:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Amojin
Neuntausend wrote:
Ah, but you see, I believe I'm being very honest with you. And I think you are full of **** (honestly). You are quite generous with your criticism, but you are quite stingy when it comes to ideas. It's easy to tell someone how to do something, but it's quite difficult to do it yourself.

It's fair that you are not willing to share your API key. You do not have to. But why are you so intent on convincing us that asking for API keys is wrong or bad somehow? Most of us are clearly ok with it. And those of us who aren't simply don't share their API key and go on with their lives. We are playing the game, we are having fun. And you can do the same, with or without sharing your API key.

Well, of course it is! (Difficult to do myself. I would actually say impossible)

I have no idea how to run a corporation in EVE. I don't know how to build a car, either.

But, when mine is broken, I sure can tell, and I have it towed away and fixed... Is it any less broken because I don't know every detail? No. EVE is you folk's thing, but I still know that, humanly speaking, 12k+, it's just too much.
Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#104 - 2017-03-07 06:04:23 UTC
I'm not trying to win anything here anymore. You are literally a lost case. Just go and do what you think is best, I will not bother you. Although I would really love to see you not ask questions if you are unwilling to accept the answers right from the beginning. I'd also like to ask you to not judge people, because that is what you are doing, und guess what happened, you got judged back. So, despite I did not cite that line, I find it rather fitting now that I think about it.

Not that I think anything of what anyone ever will say here will go into your thick skull. This is /thread for me. I'd like to congratulate you on "winning" this discussion, but alas, I think you are just not aware that you had already lost more than just a discussion right from the beginning.
Amojin
Doomheim
#105 - 2017-03-07 06:10:06 UTC
What a backhanded compliment. Let's see. Uhm, thanks for your congratulations on winning the argument that was lost from the start...

Yeah, I think I got that right. Anyway, it's not worth hating anyone over. I get that you all think this game is so serious, and I agree. We just disagree on WHY.

I think it can be used as an object lesson, because people act so very much like, well, themselves, here. You think it's important because, well, you act so much like yourself, here.

Good luck in the future, and best wishes. That's all I can really say to a closed mind.
ivanjeteprotofski
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#106 - 2017-03-07 06:55:23 UTC  |  Edited by: ivanjeteprotofski
I have to jump a bit aside to Amojin as i agree with some point's he made. I'm also afraid people still beeing traumatized by the BoB show.

The thing is, corps and alliances don't need a unmasked API key. To be precise, the API is technically not able to prevent spys or thiefs.

You may filter by some assumptions with the informations given (e.g. clearly named bookmark network; contacts to suspects; wallet transactions to suspects). For example, the bookmarks can be explained because you pvp there a lot. A wallet transaction could be a legitimate market order accepted or in form of a donation a ransom beeing paid.

But the point is, everything can still be valid and the API can't help you with "anything" in that matter. Wasn't the recent PL action enough to get it into your brains? The important actions that a alliance may fear will be there and are executed like there was no such API feature ever.

Regarding the mails, i would always mask that API feature. CCP ensure your mails are private. And as stated often, big corps or alliances dont have the time to go through 500 mails either, so what? Tho i may use them to talk to RL friends about RL things, store my can passwords there, talk bad with my CEO about a FC or having teamspeak data for my old corp that i still use to talk here and there. It does not matter if i use EVE, facebook or discord as the platform for it, since they all ensure it private until you do bad or hacks happen! So with that scenario given: Who are you to legitimate a request for my private / RL informations. They where NOT meant to be shared. What if i try to delete all of them to hand out the API mask, but forget one?

Conclusion: Most people are willing to share certain informations and you should only request the ones you need. It does not help you getting over your opinion about a certain information or prevent anything "someone" might told you about the person.

So:
1. The mask feature is there for reason.
2. The API only allow for opinions
3. If you dont have the timeor ressources to filter everything, why you request it?
4. What API feature prevents me streaming password protected to your enemies?
5. What API feature prevents me stealing you stuff 1 year after i joined?

May the great Emperor forgive my english skills.
Yebo Lakatosh
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2017-03-07 07:04:34 UTC
I thoroughly read the OP's resons for shunning an EvE mechanic, and didn't find anything EvE related among them. If I didn't know that my innate stupidity and evil intent distorts my perception, I'd suspect he can no longer tell the difference between this virtual space and reality.

Makes me question the efficiency of the method his bosses use. Maybe keeping a digital archive of prescription meds worked better than asking the employees how they feel from time to time.

Elite F1 pilot since YC119, incarnate of honor, integrity and tidi.

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#108 - 2017-03-07 07:10:45 UTC
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
And as stated often, big corps or alliances dont have the time to go through 500 mails either, so what?

Computers do it in seconds.

Any Corp that is manually searching through evemails is incompetent. Get better IT support and just have a computer run jobs to download mails and look for keywords, character names, etc. This is the stuff computers do well.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

ivanjeteprotofski
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#109 - 2017-03-07 07:14:27 UTC  |  Edited by: ivanjeteprotofski
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
And as stated often, big corps or alliances dont have the time to go through 500 mails either, so what?

Any Corp that is manually searching through evemails is incompetent. Get better IT support and just have a computer run jobs to download mails and look for keywords, character names, etc. This is the stuff computers do well.

Thats right. And did you just introduced another way to get infiltrated even handing out the FULL API key with mails?

"Hey Pete, did the skill injectors got you enough SP? Does the fitting work for you?"
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#110 - 2017-03-07 07:16:59 UTC
why are we equating RL jobs to EvE jobs? sounds silly and cringey to say the least, lol.

EvE job is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more serious than RL jobs and security should scale, imho.

Just Add Water

Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#111 - 2017-03-07 07:35:19 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
why are we equating RL jobs to EvE jobs? sounds silly and cringey to say the least, lol.

EvE job is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more serious than RL jobs and security should scale, imho.

Having read through a security clearance form recently, I'm of the opinion that full APIs are nothing in comparison.
But I guess I would say that.
Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#112 - 2017-03-07 07:39:50 UTC
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:

Thats right. And did you just introduced another way to get infiltrated even handing out the FULL API key with mails?

"Hey Pete, did the skill injectors got you enough SP? Does the fitting work for you?"

Don't hand it out if you're a paranoid freakazoid. It's fine. No one is forcing you, just as you aren't forced to join any Corp.

Give or don't give. Totally up to you.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

ivanjeteprotofski
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#113 - 2017-03-07 08:31:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ivanjeteprotofski
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:

Don't hand it out if you're a paranoid freakazoid. It's fine. No one is forcing you, just as you aren't forced to join any Corp.

Don't let players join your corp or alliance if you're a paranoid freakzoid. It's fine. No one forcing you, just as you aren't forced to have a alliance or members to play in nullsec.

You may use other wording to argue on that topic or we can play this game to the start of the universe.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#114 - 2017-03-07 08:38:59 UTC
Dearest OP, my dear friend

You are completely correct of course.

It would be of great interest if you would please elaborate on your opinion you expressed in another thread that warring parties in EvE should not try to interdict each other's transports because that is against the Geneva Convention.

Thank you in advance.

Yebo Lakatosh
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2017-03-07 10:32:56 UTC
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
(...) CCP ensure your mails are private. (...) It does not matter if i use EVE, facebook or discord as the platform for it, since they all ensure it private until you do bad or hacks happen!

Check the ELUA again:

Quote:
Except for certain information in your Account (discussed below), all transmissions by you to the System are not private. You acknowledge and agree that you have no expectation of privacy regarding communications you make in the Game, whether through private in-Game messaging, during chat, or in chat rooms.

ivanjeteprotofski
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#116 - 2017-03-07 11:41:06 UTC  |  Edited by: ivanjeteprotofski
Yebo Lakatosh wrote:
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
(...) CCP ensure your mails are private. (...) It does not matter if i use EVE, facebook or discord as the platform for it, since they all ensure it private until you do bad or hacks happen!

Check the ELUA again:

Quote:
Except for certain information in your Account (discussed below), all transmissions by you to the System are not private. You acknowledge and agree that you have no expectation of privacy regarding communications you make in the Game, whether through private in-Game messaging, during chat, or in chat rooms.

I think you misunderstood that part. Of course the mails are not private for CCP employee's or anyone who has the API key. And with that in mind you can use it to a degree you are fine with. It's also a matter what you consider private at all (i consider a corp members RL name private too and won't tell it to someone else). The EULA part is still valid. Anyway we going out of scope here.

I think the whole point is that we have a feature that went a bit out of control or needs to be adjusted, like often in game design. That means i don't consider the feature broken, but sometimes certain features in a players hand causing effects you didn't tought about or are hard to tackle. Can flipping, former grid mechanics, contract scam, whatever...
If the API could give the account credentials, you would require it, be honest... :)
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#117 - 2017-03-07 12:23:19 UTC
Amojin wrote:
I've noticed that a great many corps in game require a full api key in order to join. I understand their paranoia, but isn't it a bit much, and yes, one of my favorite terms, again, META-gaming, to have access to more than the character you're actively considering?

I question why you should have the right to see all of my toons, on the account. This is not going to really provide you with any 'security,' is it, since I can just create multiple accounts? I'm not sure what right you have to see my mails, my current location in space, and have access to my 'wallet' status, either.

As usual, I feel I must be missing part of the picture. Is there any legitimate, gaming reason for a corp to have a full api key, or is it just an invasion of privacy, and actually far more risk to me to give it to them, than it is to them for me to not do so?

you are right, they dont have a right to see all your characters, so dont apply to the corp

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Yebo Lakatosh
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#118 - 2017-03-07 12:29:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Yebo Lakatosh
ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
I think you misunderstood
Nope, I get it. The fact that you useded EvE-mail, Facebook and Discord in one sentence made me think you didn't.

ivanjeteprotofski wrote:
we have a feature that went a bit out of control
What simptoms make you think it's out of control?

So far I have only seen one man complaining. Though his most relevant and coherent argument was that the majority is always wrong, because most people are evil and stupid.

Amojin
Doomheim
#119 - 2017-03-07 12:52:08 UTC
Vortexo VonBrenner wrote:
Dearest OP, my dear friend

You are completely correct of course.

It would be of great interest if you would please elaborate on your opinion you expressed in another thread that warring parties in EvE should not try to interdict each other's transports because that is against the Geneva Convention.

Thank you in advance.

I don't really think we need to bring another thread into this mess. I believe I stated, around post 35, that this is exactly what would happen, if the admin didn't close the thread down at this point. In fact, I suggested that they do it, and they clearly declined.

*shrugs and walks off*
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2017-03-07 13:06:06 UTC
Amojin wrote:
Wolfgang Jannesen wrote:
There are a lot of reasons, after the infamous BoB vs Goonswarm wars especially API checking became almost universal.

If you've got something to hide, well, find a Corp that doesn't care.

So far, I note that both of you have made recourse to the argument of authority, i.e., power, and neither have actually answered my question. This seems to be an absolutely clear-cut case of metagaming, then, in that you are going beyond the game, and actually demanding information about the player, for in-game use?

As for your argument about hiding, I hear it all the time, but let me ask you something by way of example. When you mail a letter, do you put it in an envelope, or do you send everything by postcard? Do you give anyone who asks, permission to read all your emails? Afterall, you have nothing to hide, right?

When a person expects other people, in real life, which this is a case of when you take the game this far, to actually query an entire account with out of game tools, we call that concept 'privacy.' It used to be a universally accepted right, and 'authority' was not abused as an excuse to violate it.

These types of answers coming so fast is alarming; you've really been so conditioned to lay down and show your neck to 'power?'

well if went for a job interview and they asked to see all my emails, social media, and my bank account balance, id simply walk out. you also have that choice within the game and in rl, nobody is forcing you do anything, but yeah this is a game and if you have sensitive info within a game then you are a bit of an idiot.

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*