These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So...what happened to walking in stations? Bars etc

Author
Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#41 - 2017-03-06 19:37:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Milla Goodpussy
Mr Mieyli wrote:
I know lots of people here will hate on me for this, but honestly look at star citizen and tell me you wouldn't love if eve looked / played similarly. CCP have had many years to improve the game to that level, but they'd limited themselves with a mindset that code is fixed. I've never heard other developers hold off on requested changes because of 'legacy code'. You guys write the code, it might be a hassle but surly it's your job to rewrite it if necessary. Many of the recent improvements have been much-a-do about nothing. I mean, the huge ascension expansion, it added what? Free to play? Not exactly a thing much of value for existing players. A smart business decision, sure, but not really an expansion.

exactly... star citizen alone is going to make WIS/Hangers very much the next cool thing.. these players here just want to hold back eve online to the point it becomes stagnant and boring once again.. like really how often does eve become boring and stagnant forcing ccp to send out those stupid questions where they already know the answer???

im sick of this complete 360 degree buffonary..
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#42 - 2017-03-06 19:40:47 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
I know lots of people here will hate on me for this, but honestly look at star citizen and tell me you wouldn't love if eve looked / played similarly.

I wouldn't love if EVE looked / played similarly. Honestly.

I played Wing Commander and such games as a kid. I no longer have that "I wanna be a space fighter jock" thing going on any more, and if I want to walk around stuff, I've got real life legs lol.

I like the big fights and big interactions, and you won't be able to do that in SC. Last time I fired it up it was 24 per instance and laggy as hell. We had more than 24 people in a mining belt playing EVE last night lol.

I hope people enjoy SC, but if doesn't offer anything that would draw me from EVE. the only reason I'm participating in the open alpha testing is because I got an old buddy from another game playing it.

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#43 - 2017-03-06 19:55:40 UTC
Lord Harrowmont wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1SKhdCkHM

Will we ever be able to meet other EVE players in stations? I thought this was a great concept, what happened to it? Straight

Bigger question is, how do we talk CCP into completing that, cause I personaly think it would be great fun, even if it was just to play poker, and walk around talking to ppl.
Sure would beat spinning ships.

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#44 - 2017-03-06 20:16:37 UTC
ArmyOfMe wrote:
Lord Harrowmont wrote:

Will we ever be able to meet other EVE players in stations? I thought this was a great concept, what happened to it? Straight

Bigger question is, how do we talk CCP into completing that, cause I personaly think it would be great fun, even if it was just to play poker, and walk around talking to ppl.

they ignored to run failed projects like

world of darkness - fail
dust 514 - fail

rebalance tiercide genocide - pass/fail

Citadel deployment - pushed to release , work in so much progress that you wonder why they rushed it to release.

Citadel all mechanics - fail, fail and fail.. destructible stations right idea right?? nope cause their weak and easy to destroy.. t3c's can take out a fawkin fortizar... fail , fail. fail the pilots said about the fortizar.. just stay out of his point defense range.. - fail

all at the expense of its players.. this is ccp..

complete a task?? that takes 3 years for CCP games.. hence this long roadmap we're on right now.. is it pass or fail - remember they lost some real talent in those offices already .. - its leaning towards fail right now!

resolve the incarna drama once and for all. -- they're afraid to cause why? more folks would either leave or stay cause they mad about god knows what about it being completed.. oh they want you to socialize thru reddit instead of inside a freaking station! that makes sense..(rolls eyes)

everything you listed we had in the playstation home in dust 514.. and here on the main game of eve... they say NO! WE CANT DO IT!.. WE WONT DO IT!.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#45 - 2017-03-06 23:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
ArmyOfMe wrote:
Lord Harrowmont wrote:

they ignored to run failed projects like

world of darkness - fail
dust 514 - fail

rebalance tiercide genocide - pass/fail

Citadel deployment - pushed to release , work in so much progress that you wonder why they rushed it to release.

Citadel all mechanics - fail, fail and fail.. destructible stations right idea right?? nope cause their weak and easy to destroy.. t3c's can take out a fawkin fortizar... fail , fail. fail the pilots said about the fortizar.. just stay out of his point defense range.. - fail

all at the expense of its players.. this is ccp..

complete a task?? that takes 3 years for CCP games.. hence this long roadmap we're on right now.. is it pass or fail - remember they lost some real talent in those offices already .. - its leaning towards fail right now!

resolve the incarna drama once and for all. -- they're afraid to cause why? more folks would either leave or stay cause they mad about god knows what about it being completed.. oh they want you to socialize thru reddit instead of inside a freaking station! that makes sense..(rolls eyes)

everything you listed we had in the playstation home in dust 514.. and here on the main game of eve... they say NO! WE CANT DO IT!.. WE WONT DO IT!.

CCP has painted itself on a corner over the last years. They're developing a "own your space and pew pew for it" videogame, and everything else it's either legacy, or broken, or removed, or nerfed, or backburned. Nevermind that this "own your space" thing was supposed to be a 3 years stage in a 5 years development plan starting Q4 2013. Now it has become somehow a 4 years long part of a 7 years long stage of a unknown development plan, with the last stage (player stargates and new space) not being released earlier than 2020 at best (last year it was 2018, now we're on to 2020... what will be next year?).

Meanwhile, other people are making other space themed videogames. Those videogames are not EVE, but they're good enough on their own, and are way more popular than EVE will ever be. EVE and its lack of evolution beyond its tiny niche are just becoming a relic. There's nothing new they can show or do as they copy themselves, and all what they know is useless outside of EVE. EVE is the best EVE around. But nobody wants to be EVE these days.

The curtain rises. The one-trick pony struggles to make the old routine look new, but nobody cares any longer. There are better shows elsewhere. Silently and fatally, all the spectators but the staunchest fans leave the theatre. Then, one day, the curtain descends one last time, and a local newspaper writes a short piece in page 20. The one-trick pony is dead, but lives in the memories of its fans...
Syds Sinclair
StratsCo
Pretenders
#46 - 2017-03-07 02:02:16 UTC
..CCP realized that it is more important to focus on spaceships in their spaceship video game.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#47 - 2017-03-07 04:24:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Nevermind that this "own your space" thing was supposed to be a 3 years stage in a 5 years development plan starting Q4 2013. Now it has become somehow a 4 years long part of a 7 years long stage of a unknown development plan, with the last stage (player stargates and new space) not being released earlier than 2020 at best (last year it was 2018, now we're on to 2020... what will be next year?).

Where were these timelines outlined?
Fek Mercer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2017-03-07 05:59:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Fek Mercer
I want to see CCP include it in a future update without any announcement, just to annoy everyone
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2017-03-07 07:21:49 UTC
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
The biggest problem that I see with WiS. Is that its a catch 22 situation.

It is a feature that only a portion of the playerbase wants and has any interest in at all. because of that, without adding any sort of meaningful content, most people will not use it, making it a waste of development time. If they do add content to it, they would need to either make it optional, which will still result in most people opting out (continuing the waste of dev time) or they will make it necessary to the game, which would push players to engage in it... but make people resent it at the same time (like when they forced everyone into the CC)

So no matter what they do with it, it will end up being either a huge waste of time and money because only a small percentage of the players will even bother with it. or they will just upset people by forcing them to engage in something they have no interest in.

Your reasons for not wanting WiS can be said about all of the other features currently active in-game right now.

If WiS content was implemented into the game that doesn't mean you have to engage in it. There's lot's of features currently active in-game that I don't engage with.

Bottom line : WiS would bring in more paying customers which would make CCP more money that can be used to constantly improve all areas of the game.

DMC
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#50 - 2017-03-07 07:58:52 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Nevermind that this "own your space" thing was supposed to be a 3 years stage in a 5 years development plan starting Q4 2013. Now it has become somehow a 4 years long part of a 7 years long stage of a unknown development plan, with the last stage (player stargates and new space) not being released earlier than 2020 at best (last year it was 2018, now we're on to 2020... what will be next year?).

Where were these timelines outlined?

As far as I know, CCP never has given solid estimates past the initial idea that the development plan introduced with Rubicon (which I call the Rubicon Plan) was a roadmap for 3 years in a 5 year development plan. The 2018 estimate came from the "we are here" infographic from Fanfest 2016 and the 2020 estimate has been rolling around the blogosphere for the last month. Certainly with Mining structures postponed to Autumn 2017 at best, looks ike the other stuff will take no less than 3 years to develop at the currently anemic pace.

Why is taking so long, I only have some guesses, with artwork bottleneck, backstage code and legacy spaghetti code being the usual suspects.

Anyway the net effect is to lose players by devoting a lot of effort to content that doesn't pulls its weight, whereas the milk cows of EVE are starving and the new blood front has outdone itself by lowering the retention rate (from 50% gone in the first 2 hours, to 68% gone before even completing the NPE).

There is something that EVE is not doing: going up. And that's a consequence of the Rubicon Plan, IMO.
Lukka
#51 - 2017-03-07 14:16:05 UTC
Kaivarian Coste wrote:
Hazel TuckerTS wrote:
Because the bloated vets whined about it.
They get their way with tears

^ This.

Everyone supported WiS, except for a elite cadre of nullsec cry-babies.

Unfortunately WiS coincided with a few other PR controversies like Monocle-gate and the "gold ammo" incident.

WiS was never bad. It just got caught up in the drama and was abandoned to pacify the nullsec cry-babies. Because the vast majority of Eve players dwell in nullsec and fly Titans or something.

I presume this is code for the first iteration of walk-in stations being an absolute disaster, being released long before it was ready even after ample feedback from the testing community asking for it to be polished first. Bitter vets were complaining that sitting alone in a single laggy room was not a terribly gripping gameplay experience. I remember well, I was one of them. That, coupled with the controversy of the developer's attempted monetisation of the new poorly implemented content which was to replace normal docking made for a poor business and gameplay move.
Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2017-03-07 15:03:52 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
The biggest problem that I see with WiS. Is that its a catch 22 situation.

It is a feature that only a portion of the playerbase wants and has any interest in at all. because of that, without adding any sort of meaningful content, most people will not use it, making it a waste of development time. If they do add content to it, they would need to either make it optional, which will still result in most people opting out (continuing the waste of dev time) or they will make it necessary to the game, which would push players to engage in it... but make people resent it at the same time (like when they forced everyone into the CC)

So no matter what they do with it, it will end up being either a huge waste of time and money because only a small percentage of the players will even bother with it. or they will just upset people by forcing them to engage in something they have no interest in.

Your reasons for not wanting WiS can be said about all of the other features currently active in-game right now.

If WiS content was implemented into the game that doesn't mean you have to engage in it. There's lot's of features currently active in-game that I don't engage with.

Bottom line : WiS would bring in more paying customers which would make CCP more money that can be used to constantly improve all areas of the game.

DMC

The difference between walking in stations and all of the other features. Is that the other features don't require them to develop am entirely different engine to function. In order for them to implement Wis in any way that is meaningful enough to bother adding, would effectively require them to make an entirely new game. PI, wormholes, FW, etc, all work within the same engine and with the exception of PI (and let's not point to that as an example of a good feature) are all just modifications and variations on existing mechanics.

WiS would require an entirely new engine, and completely different mechanics from the ground up. Which frankly isn't worth it for a feature that what... 10% maybe even 20% are interested in and would use.
It did make some sort of sense before world of darkness got aborted, because they could have had crossover machanically and engine wise. (Which I believe was the original point) but since that IP has been dropped there just isn't enough reason to continue development.
Kaivarian Coste
It Came From Thera
#53 - 2017-03-07 15:26:58 UTC
Syds Sinclair wrote:
..CCP realized that it is more important to focus on spaceships in their spaceship video game.

Not according to everyone at Fanfest 2011.

People CHEERED for a full minute after watching the WiS tech demo, and demanded an encore. People want it.
Qwerty Ernaga
Doomheim
#54 - 2017-03-07 16:26:04 UTC
Not sure about EVE, but looking forward to have this added in Elite, it´s on the roadmap. Blink
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#55 - 2017-03-07 16:28:27 UTC
So does that mean we can 'gank' players in bars with WiS? Mass suicide bombings?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Jhonas Riddick
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2017-03-07 17:10:17 UTC
Why the hell is it called "Walking in Stations"? In every first/third person game I've ever played absolutely the one thing no-one does after the first 5 minutes is actually walk! Fallout even realised how quickly players get bored of running, let alone walking, and added Fast Travel.

Running in Stations? Maybe. Walking in Stations? No.

P
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#57 - 2017-03-07 17:25:25 UTC
Jhonas Riddick wrote:
Running in Stations? Maybe. Walking in Stations? No.

With this crowd? Totally Wanking In Stations...

mkint
#58 - 2017-03-07 18:33:51 UTC
Kaivarian Coste wrote:
Syds Sinclair wrote:

Not according to everyone at Fanfest 2011.

People CHEERED for a full minute after watching the WiS tech demo, and demanded an encore. People want it.

A few life lessons for you. All trailers are a lie. I don't care what it's for, or who made it. They are a lie. Likewise, all advertisements are lies. Third, any kind of gathering where there's a stage, everybody's pretty much already drunk. They'll cheer for anything, especially if it has bright flashing lights.

The WiS tech demos never actually worked. They weren't actually demos. They were badly made trailers made to look like tech demos. They used composites of different images into one video to make it look like a thing that worked, when in reality it was some 90's era quality with 70's era multiplayer capabilities. They had nothing and tried to sell it as something. It was beyond the company's talents, and afterwards they had to fire 1/3 of their company and the level of talent still has not recovered enough to make something like this happen.

So not only is it beyond their ability, the entire idea is one of those "looks good on paper, terrible in practice" ideas. You'll notice there aren't any "did it successfully" stories for this idea in any company, only "already failed at it" and "using the promise of it as a marketing gimmick" stories. I hope that when it fails for every other company that is promising it, people will start to get the clue.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#59 - 2017-03-07 20:17:41 UTC
thats it people... let it out.. let all the frustration out. CCP better wake up and realize they're so close to losing subs. because they simply refuse to correct their past mistakes.

give us walking in stations
walking in fawking citadels even
i want better interiors..

i want to be able to control the dang advertisments within my sov owned station and citadels..WHO THOUGHT UP THAT CRAP!
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#60 - 2017-03-07 20:33:57 UTC
What do you mean "close to losing subs"?